HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Dec 16, 2011, 4:31 PM

Just a little update, CF is actively pursuing lead tenants and is in advanced negotiations with one or more parties.

This one looks like it will be a go sometime in the new year.

As well SITQ's EAP 2 has several tenants lined up, not sure it leases have been formally signed, but it looks like that one's start is imminent as well.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2011, 5:17 PM

Well, that's certainly a huge improvement over the cartoon-like development they originally proposed. I can only hope that the original architect learned a serious lesson.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2011, 5:18 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Awesome! That's really impressive! Good things to come in the new year!

Old Posted Dec 16, 2011, 5:20 PM
Round Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
Just a little update, CF is actively pursuing lead tenants and is in advanced negotiations with one or more parties.

This one looks like it will be a go sometime in the new year.

As well SITQ's EAP 2 has several tenants lined up, not sure it leases have been formally signed, but it looks like that one's start is imminent as well.
Earlier in the thread you alluded to the hotel/residential portion going forward at the same time. Is this still the case as far as you know? Any idea who the hotelier is?

Old Posted Dec 16, 2011, 6:31 PM

Can't wait to see this one go ahead. Any word on when Don Quijote's or whatever it's called is going to close? they look to be right where the office portion is going to go, and I believe they are still open.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2011, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooster View Post
Earlier in the thread you alluded to the hotel/residential portion going forward at the same time. Is this still the case as far as you know? Any idea who the hotelier is?
The two projects aren't coupled at this point, although it may turn out that they need to be built at the same time for an extenuating circumstance, but more on that if it actually happens.

I do know who the hotelier is but unfortunately I cannot say. The hotel company doesn't want their name associated with the project until it is certain its a go, as no one want's to be associated with a failed/stalled project. Not good for business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Can't wait to see this one go ahead. Any word on when Don Quijote's or whatever it's called is going to close? they look to be right where the office portion is going to go, and I believe they are still open.
I believe their lease is month to month so they will likely operate right up to the end.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2011, 5:25 AM

Build it!!

Old Posted Jan 18, 2012, 4:25 PM

Quote:
The two projects aren't coupled at this point, although it may turn out that they need to be built at the same time for an extenuating circumstance, but more on that if it actually happens.
Like I said I'd update you guys on the phasing of this project. The possible extenuating circumstance that could have caused these two projects to be built simultaneously has been resolved so the two will now progress on their own economic merit.

Unfortunately that likely means that the residential tower will remain unbuilt for the foreseeable future. Although many on this forum are bullish about the condo market in Calgary many in the industry remain skeptical about its strength, especially a high end project such as this one, where SFH still tend to dominate the Calgary market.

The good news is the office tower should be U/C or well on its way to breaking ground by the end of the year.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2012, 5:04 PM
YIMBY

Quote:
Like I said I'd update you guys on the phasing of this project. The possible extenuating circumstance that could have caused these two projects to be built simultaneously has been resolved so the two will now progress on their own economic merit.

Unfortunately that likely means that the residential tower will remain unbuilt for the foreseeable future. Although many on this forum are bullish about the condo market in Calgary many in the industry remain skeptical about its strength, especially a high end project such as this one, where SFH still tend to dominate the Calgary market.

The good news is the office tower should be U/C or well on its way to breaking ground by the end of the year.
Will the complete parkade be built with the office building or will only half the site be built on and the rest left as a gravel lot? I hope the former not the later

Old Posted Jan 18, 2012, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Mountain View Post
Will the complete parkade be built with the office building or will only half the site be built on and the rest left as a gravel lot? I hope the former not the later
I would love to see the whole parkade built, but seeing as how there are different uses, the strata boundaries might be such that the parkade can be phased as well.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2012, 5:26 PM
Round Head

The recent article mentioned the old spaghetti factory is not being demolished at this time - that would indicated that one half of the block is being developed independently of the other, including the parking.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2012, 1:03 PM

Title of thread says 216 metres, is this correct?

Old Posted Jan 22, 2012, 8:52 PM

That was the old proposal. Thread master did not change it. The old proposal was for an office bulding od 53 stories & 216 meters. But that was 4 -5 years ago.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2012, 10:19 PM
not a NIMBY

The website says the office tower will be 37 stories, although I think they mean 37 storeys, which translates to about 170 - 180 m?

Old Posted Jan 23, 2012, 12:18 AM

Well, I kike this newer proposal more than the old, but 216 meters would have been great. But that's me.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2012, 5:46 AM
not a NIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallBob View Post
Well, I kike this newer proposal more than the old, but 216 meters would have been great. But that's me.
At 216 it would have been 1 m higher than Suncor, so it would have been second tallest in Calgary after the Bow.
Was it the shadow by-law that lowered the height or was it more realistic economics that forced the change?

Old Posted Jan 23, 2012, 6:15 AM

Ya I think so.... But don't quote me, I may be wrong. Actually, the old proposal was taller but had setbacks leading towards the top of the building. Which becons the question: Would it really have cast much of a shadow on the pathway/park area?

Old Posted Jan 23, 2012, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallBob View Post
Ya I think so.... But don't quote me, I may be wrong. Actually, the old proposal was taller but had setbacks leading towards the top of the building. Which becons the question: Would it really have cast much of a shadow on the pathway/park area?
The previous rendering was the result of architects stretching their creative muscles, while the latest is whats left when the business end of the project gets involved. Its great they have managed to put together a design that looks good and acheives the financial goals it needs to be built.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2012, 6:04 PM

216m could probably work as the tower would end up being about the same distance from the river pathway as the Bow.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2012, 6:41 PM

Quote:

The revised project stats are:

One office tower 36fl, 161.5m
One mixed use tower 47fl, 151m
Heights are unchanged from when I posted this. Though there may be slight fluctuations (a floor or so) these are more or less the confirmed heights barring a major redesign, which is currently not on the table.

Regarding the parkade both options (phased project including 2 phase parking or entire parking and stub up of the residential) are still on the table, but it is likely that the first option will go ahead with knockout panels ready for the second phase.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates