HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Business & the Economy

Old Posted Mar 6, 2013, 2:54 PM
Reason and Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post

So are they replacing the barrel vaults or just refacing the ends of them?
According to the renders here, they are just refacing the ends of them.

Overall, this new design appears less ambitious, less stylish, less transparent than the older concept seen here.

Last edited by Prometheus; Mar 6, 2013 at 3:06 PM.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2013, 5:16 PM

that older design seemed to be designed around having one larger flagship store instead of a group of smaller high end stores which usually go in understated buildings

Old Posted Mar 6, 2013, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
According to the renders here, they are just refacing the ends of them.
Thanks.

Hudson's Bay press release about the logo change:

http://www.marketwire.com/press-rele...bc-1765078.htm

As posted over at UrbanToronto:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeezix View Post
There are a few news stories today about the rebranding, but here is the actual press release:

Hudson's Bay Celebrates Its Past, Present and Future with Modern New Logo

TORONTO, ONTARIO--(Marketwire - March 6, 2013) -

Editors Note: There are four photos associated with this press release.

Hudson's Bay (TSX:HBC), formerly known as The Bay, continues in its evolution today after many exciting years of change and innovation in the Canadian retail landscape. To celebrate its past, present and much-anticipated future, Hudson's Bay is launching a new, streamlined logo to reflect the modernized brand while maintaining its deep-rooted history.

The company's first major logo rebrand since 1965, Hudson's Bay is returning to its classic full name with a striking word mark that will be visible on all marketing and media materials, online and in-store displays, plus an additional full-dress version used exclusively for packaging and select materials. A marriage between yesterday's history and tomorrow's vision, the full-dress logo celebrates Hudson's Bay's heritage with the coat of arms, beautifully redrawn by Canadian Mark Summers, and a sleek design developed by Lipman.

"We're very proud to say that Hudson's Bay is continuing to advance in 2013, not only with our new business ventures, but with our updated look," says Tony Smith, Creative Director, HBC. "We've taken what is a very meaningful two-pronged approach to the redesign: maintaining our heritage while modernizing the new Hudson's Bay Company. It's a throwback to our remarkable history and an image for the direction we're heading in."

Branding evolution: A timeline of words, pictures and history

The HBC logo has become a national icon, sustaining years of historical significance while allowing creative change to reflect new phases in the company's saga.

Pre-1965, Black Letter script represented the Hudson's Bay Company's identity. In a time before the digital era, this now definitive logo was one of the most commonly used. HBC developed a highly recognizable and distinguished name, transcending time and upholding a devout following.

A movement to modernize and an expansion into Québec motivated the next phase of branding to The Bay in 1965. The Bay, with the B boldly emphasized, designed by Lippincott & Margulies, was part of a "folk-friendly" transformation after consumers began referring to Hudson's Bay Company by its short-form name. The signature logo spanned more than three decades as the symbol for Canada's longest-standing company.

Today, Hudson's Bay is a representation of true Canadian accomplishment. The last few years have been a defining period, from the creation of The Room, to the launch of Canada's first Topshop and Topman, to the renovation of multiple stores and expansion into the world of ecommerce. Signaling these remarkable undertakings are the updated brand emblems; a stylish word mark for in-store, online, marketing and media materials as the new, true logo and a full-dress coat of arms for packaging and select signature use. With so many significant recent changes and a lush history as a major player in the Canadian business environment, Hudson's Bay's new branding is a testament to the company's longevity and promising future success.

About HBC

The Hudson's Bay Company (HBC), founded in 1670, is North America's longest continually operated company. In Canada, HBC operates Hudson's Bay, Canada's largest department store with 90 locations, unsurpassed in its fashion, beauty, home and accessory designers and brands, as well as www.thebay.com. HBC also operates Home Outfitters, Canada's largest home specialty superstore with 69 locations across the country. In the United States, HBC operates Lord & Taylor, a department store with 48 full-line store locations throughout the northeastern United States and in two major cities in the Midwest, and www.lordandtaylor.com. With approximately 29,000 Associates in Canada and the U.S., Hudson's Bay Company banners provide stylish, quality merchandise at great value, with a dedicated focus on service excellence. The Hudson's Bay Company trades on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbol "HBC".

Last edited by officedweller; Mar 6, 2013 at 8:54 PM.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2013, 5:42 AM

From the Richmond Review

Quote:
YVR hosts luxury mall info session

By Matthew Hoekstra - Richmond Review
Published: March 11, 2013 3:00 PM
Updated: March 11, 2013 3:23 PM

Vancouver Airport Authority officials is holding a public information session next week on a planned designer outlet mall on Sea Island.

On Tuesday, March 19, the airport authority will share plans for the project, whose first phase is scheduled to be complete in fall 2014. The airport calls the mall an "exciting project that will increase the region's destination appeal for travellers and local shoppers" that will create 1,000 new jobs and $11.7 billion in economic output.

The mall is a joint project between the airport and London-based McArthurGlen Group. It will be built near the Templeton Station of the Canada Line.

The information session takes place from 5 to 7 p.m. on Tuesday, March 19 inside the airport's International Terminal, at The Spirit of Haida Gwaii Jade Canoe sculpture.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 2:53 AM

Thrifty's Suter Brook Village, Port Moody scraps plan for 24 hour opening hours:

http://www.thenownews.com/technology...556/story.html

Old Posted Mar 15, 2013, 5:47 AM

Photo credit: me

New Five Guys burgers on Robson between Granville and Seymour on the north side. It goes Future shop building then alley then 5 Guys.

Hard to get a clear shot of it with so many people constantly going by, dude was just standing there so he was in the picture!

Old Posted Mar 15, 2013, 6:05 AM

According to this job posting, the Robson street Five Guys is looking to open mid-April.

http://bc.kijiji.ca/c-jobs-bar-food-...AdIdZ462789332

Old Posted Mar 15, 2013, 5:30 PM

lol i dont get this fascination over some fast food burger place

Old Posted Mar 15, 2013, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirisboy View Post
Have you eaten there?

Old Posted Mar 15, 2013, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirisboy View Post
That's because you've never had a Five Guys burger before.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2013, 7:41 PM

It's Obama's favourite burger you know.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2013, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stump View Post
That's because you've never had a Five Guys burger before.
I have had many, and I've always been disappointed. It's pretty similar to Vera's, a bland bun with rather dense and overcooked meat (also a good 10-15 minute wait). I do like their peanuts, though.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2013, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porfiry View Post
I have had many, and I've always been disappointed. It's pretty similar to Vera's, a bland bun with rather dense and overcooked meat (also a good 10-15 minute wait). I do like their peanuts, though.
If you don't like it why do you keep going back?

Old Posted Mar 15, 2013, 9:31 PM

their fries are amazing - craving them now

Old Posted Mar 15, 2013, 10:54 PM

Looks like the City leased the old McDonald's location at Library Square - work is progressing inside - no indication as to who is moving in.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2013, 11:23 PM
life in the present

Ate at the Five Guys in Park Royal and found it to be a rather trashy experience with the crap all over the floor and piles of potato sacks all around me, I think we've got a lot more quality stuff to focus on. Same with Carls Jr., lived in California for years and no one really cared about it, it was suburban junk food period.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2013, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by connect2source View Post
Ate at the Five Guys in Park Royal and found it to be a rather trashy experience with the crap all over the floor and piles of potato sacks all around me, I think we've got a lot more quality stuff to focus on. Same with Carls Jr., lived in California for years and no one really cared about it, it was suburban junk food period.
Both are better than A&W and McD's; which dominate downtown right now...

Old Posted Mar 16, 2013, 4:24 AM

After all the comments about this place on this forum, I really don't know what to expect. I almost found the time to give them a try two weeks ago in Baltimore, but I guess I will have my chance soon enough on Robson.

Looking forward to trying something new, however hearing them being similar to Vera's does keep me on my toes.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2013, 8:59 AM

burgers are burgers, five guys is miles better than mcdonalds or wendys but don't expect much, the hot dogs at five guys are awful

Old Posted Mar 16, 2013, 11:11 PM

Retail Insider reporting that Lululemon may take over the Benz location at Robson & Burrard, including adjacent spaces, to build a flagship store.
Retail Insider

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Business & the Economy