HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Jul 7, 2007, 6:15 AM
Change is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by liferanger View Post
We need someone like Katz to 1) buy the Oilers 2) assist in facilitating a downtown rink 3) pony up some cash for some 1st tier players....
1) yes 2) ok, but can/will be done without 3) uhhh Kevin Lowe just offered RFA Thomas Vanek 50.44 M over 7 years... Don't think there is a problem here.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2007, 6:18 AM
I am a typical

For a second I thought the mayor of Winnipeg was going to buy a hockey team.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2007, 4:43 PM
brento79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
given that the oilers were worth only 75mil a few years ago, 190 seems aight
Yeah, but that's kind of saying something like "your house was worth 120,000 two years ago, so even though the market value is 360,000 now, I am going to offer you 200,000 and expect you to consider it a great deal.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2007, 4:54 PM
Change is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by brento79 View Post
Yeah, but that's kind of saying something like "your house was worth 120,000 two years ago, so even though the market value is 360,000 now, I am going to offer you 200,000 and expect you to consider it a great deal.
I don't think the Oilers are worth more then 150 M... Forbes I believe had them at 140 M last time around

Old Posted Jul 7, 2007, 5:08 PM

Quote:
We need someone like Katz to 1) buy the Oilers 2) assist in facilitating a downtown rink 3) pony up some cash for some 1st tier players....
Believe me, the best guy to have on board to get a new rink downtown is Cal Nichols. Trust me, this thing is already happened, Cal Nichols was the one who made it work by mapping it out - its just a matter of having things fall into place in due time and optics. But if there is one guy you want to make it work - its cal nichols. And that all I will say.
"Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. Carl Spackler, 1980

Old Posted Jul 7, 2007, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
^

Dan Tencer 630 CHED Radio
Come Out, Come Out...Wherever You Are UPDATE
Today @ 2:37 PM ET | Comments (35)
I'm beginning to wonder if Daryl Katz exists or if he's just the Keyser Soze figment of someone's imagination. He's apparently whispered to a reporter that his offer on the Oilers has been upped to $190 million. Thing is, the Oilers have never received any formal offer from Katz to buy the team. It all seems like napking-written numbers and whispers to the odd reporter. To my knowledge, Katz hasn't done a quoted interview with television, newspaper or radio throughout this whole ordeal.

Last week, Katz purchased the title sponsorship for the Grand Prix of Edmonton. He wasn't at the press conference. He didn't do any interviews. He ducked out of the gym when the media wanted a few minutes of his time. Is anybody else wondering if this is an indication of how he'd be as an owner? Asking for blind faith from ticket holders and sponsors without ever being available to answer questions?

If he really wants this team, it's time to step up publically and make a formal offer. Why should the Oilers organization keep having to comment on informal offers on a team that isn't for sale? Katz needs to stop negotiating through the media and show himself.

While I do agree to this view somewhat, you also have to respect that Katz maybe prefers his privacy and would rather stay out of the spotlight. Some people are just like that. But hey, is that so bad? I seem to recall a previous wealthy Oiler owner who loved the media spotlight (Peter Puck)... and not many fans were fond of him, including myself. I would be thrilled if Katz ended up purchasing the Oilers. He's building the biggest mansion in Edmonton, so its obvious that he has great ties and commitment to this city. He's a wealthy man who could do wonders for the Oilers. And believe me, if there was ever a good time for the Oilers to announce something positive, THIS would be it. As much of a big fan I am of the Oilers and a supporter of Lowe and Co., this last year has been extremely hard to take. Having Katz buy the Oilers would make my day and hopefully bring some positive winds of change to this organization

Old Posted Jul 7, 2007, 7:20 PM

edit

Old Posted Jul 9, 2007, 2:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper and one o nin View Post
Believe me, the best guy to have on board to get a new rink downtown is Cal Nichols. Trust me, this thing is already happened, Cal Nichols was the one who made it work by mapping it out - its just a matter of having things fall into place in due time and optics. But if there is one guy you want to make it work - its cal nichols. And that all I will say.

Is cal Nichols and the current ownership group really the best solution to the problems that the Oilers are facing, both in terms of a potential new arena and attempting to rebuild the team or would some new blood in terms of 1 owner vs 20 + be the solution.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2007, 4:33 AM

Maybe yes, maybe no. I have no idea. I do know, that Cal Nichols will get an arena downtown. It may even be better to say, he has already made it happen - its just a matter of time. I think that this has been in the works for a number of years now. things will likely come into place after the fall civic election.
As far as the current ownership group - we know that they were established for the sole purpose of keeping the Oilers in Edmonton. Nobody knows anything about Katz.
"Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. Carl Spackler, 1980

Old Posted Jul 9, 2007, 4:04 PM

I am pretty sure that if EIG sold the Oilers to Katz, one of the conditions on such a purchase would be to keep the team in Edmonton. Without that condition there, theres no way Edmontonions would be in favour of the sale

Old Posted Jul 9, 2007, 5:52 PM

^ I agree with your comment about having a clause to keep them in E-town....Do you think KATZ would really want to move the team after he built that mega mansion in E-town.....looks like he is rooted in here for the long haul.....I think thats what Edmonton needs, some solid roots of wealthy individuals who arent afraid to toss around some dollars...

Old Posted Jul 9, 2007, 5:54 PM
Community Guy

^no!

The Oilers Are Staying Put

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jul 9, 2007, 9:31 PM
Change is good

Quote:
^ I agree with your comment about having a clause to keep them in E-town....Do you think KATZ would really want to move the team after he built that mega mansion in E-town.....looks like he is rooted in here for the long haul.....I think thats what Edmonton needs, some solid roots of wealthy individuals who arent afraid to toss around some dollars...
even though I don't think Katz wants to move the team... Puck had a rather large house about 15 blocks north east of where Katz house is now... so a large house does not mean anything really

Old Posted Jul 9, 2007, 9:37 PM
Derp

^True, but didnt Petey run into some financial trouble with his other investements that forced him to look at selling the team?

Old Posted Jul 9, 2007, 9:43 PM
Change is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExcaliburKid View Post
^True, but didnt Petey run into some financial trouble with his other investements that forced him to look at selling the team?
Yes, and whats to say Rexall/Katz doesn't run into the same trouble? Mind you, Katz is far more wealthy then Puck was ever... but still...

Old Posted Jul 9, 2007, 9:48 PM

^ Yup, remember the whole Gainers situation. I think PUck was in trouble with ATB too? But then again, this is the same man who also sold Gretzky for 15 million.

For being the wealthiest man in Edmonton, Katz is relatively unknown. But as I stated before, there would be no way EIG would sell to Katz without a condition of the team stayin put

Old Posted Jul 9, 2007, 10:00 PM
Derp

Agreed, I would die if the Oilers left the city. It would be the most embarassing moment in the city's history, imo

Old Posted Jul 10, 2007, 12:05 AM
DRINK

If anybody thinks Katz would move the Oilers you have been in the sun for way to long.

The guy realizes he's made a huge fortune and it's his time for some philanthropy. The guy came out of no where seven or eight years ago and bought the naming nights to Northlands, donated huge coin and was awarded the naming of the HRIF building at the U, Built the biggest house this city has ever seen, and purchased the naming rights for the GPE....We should all be loosing sleep with his intentions with the oilers

Old Posted Jul 10, 2007, 12:32 AM
BANNED

Katz move the Oilers? That's just silly. Why would he move the 7th most profitable franchise in the NHL? He knows the Oilers generate huge revenue, unfortunately so does the EIG. Katz also has loyalty to keeping the team where it belongs.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2007, 1:36 AM
Change is good

I dont think anyone was saying that Katz has any intentions of moving the team... Just that anything could happen under any ownership really.. Money comes, money goes.
There's little to no doubt in my mind that the Oilers will never leave Edmonton

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton