HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jan 20, 2012, 3:11 AM
Austinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manorman View Post
Old Austin stores
Kash and Karry Grocery
#1 1221 west lynn
#2 on Red River
#3 3102 Guadalupe is now the weatsville COOP
The New #3 43rd and Duvall Former Minamax currant Fresh Plus
#4 4303 Widsor and Expositon was formaly an HEB
#5 24th and San Gabriel
#6 South Lamer
#7 2222 and Balcones.

Big Bear Grocery
on South Congerss close to the Night Hawk, and i think one on Lake Austin BLVD.

Sam Sluaghter Grocery
MLK close to Guadalupe
and one on Red River close to Saint David Hospital.

Checker Front Grocery Stores
One was on Congress Ave and i think there was one more but i dont remember where.

A&P Grocery
South first and Ben White latter became Food Land
Anderson and Burnet
Wow, we had A&P? I had no idea. At which corner of Anderson and Burnet was it located?

Old Posted Jan 24, 2012, 2:15 PM

A&p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopacs View Post
Wow, we had A&P? I had no idea. At which corner of Anderson and Burnet was it located?
On the southeast corner of Burnet/Anderson is a shopping center that was once called "North Village". The A&P store was in the far south east corner of the center. Also located in that center was a Gage Furnature, branch library, Mr. Lonney's Barber Shop (later called Lonney's Style when he figured he could charge much more per cut by changing the name from barber to style) and a Kiddie City.
Gage Furnature was owned by Les Gage who was a local politico from the 1960's. I think he did time as a state senator until the early 1970's. If memory serves me I think there is still a Gage Furnature on South Lamar and one in Round Rock near I-35 and Tollway 45/130..I think.

Kiddie City had two locations with the other being at the corner of I-35 and 35th street in the Delwood Center - where the Fiesta Grocery is currently located. Speaking of Delwood...there was a 'penthouse' located on the top of that center that was where James Bascom Giles slept while he was supposed to be living in the state prison (three years of a six year prison term) in Huntsville for his part (convicted of fraud and bribery) in the Veterans' Land Board scandal.

Back to A&P...In the 30's and 40's there was an A&P located on Speedway just north of 38th street - probably at 3808. That location later was a dance studio and some sort of air conditioning repair office. Later Hyde Park Baptist Church got the property and used it for the Senior Adults and their Chineese church. For what its worth further north on Speedway across the street from Fire Station #9 behind the post office was another small grocery store named after its owner Troy Harrell.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2012, 3:57 AM
Austinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by texastarkus View Post
On the southeast corner of Burnet/Anderson is a shopping center that was once called "North Village". The A&P store was in the far south east corner of the center. Also located in that center was a Gage Furnature, branch library, Mr. Lonney's Barber Shop (later called Lonney's Style when he figured he could charge much more per cut by changing the name from barber to style) and a Kiddie City.
Gage Furnature was owned by Les Gage who was a local politico from the 1960's. I think he did time as a state senator until the early 1970's. If memory serves me I think there is still a Gage Furnature on South Lamar and one in Round Rock near I-35 and Tollway 45/130..I think.

Kiddie City had two locations with the other being at the corner of I-35 and 35th street in the Delwood Center - where the Fiesta Grocery is currently located. Speaking of Delwood...there was a 'penthouse' located on the top of that center that was where James Bascom Giles slept while he was supposed to be living in the state prison (three years of a six year prison term) in Huntsville for his part (convicted of fraud and bribery) in the Veterans' Land Board scandal.

Back to A&P...In the 30's and 40's there was an A&P located on Speedway just north of 38th street - probably at 3808. That location later was a dance studio and some sort of air conditioning repair office. Later Hyde Park Baptist Church got the property and used it for the Senior Adults and their Chineese church. For what its worth further north on Speedway across the street from Fire Station #9 behind the post office was another small grocery store named after its owner Troy Harrell.
Thanks for background info! I figured it was either at the SE or NE corner of the intersection. The center was also home to Dart Bowl for many many years (Now Bassett Furniture). If you go to the 'new' Dart (formerly Capitol Bowl) on Grover/Koenig, there's an old (60s-era?) pic of the original in the foyer area.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2012, 5:40 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

The Chuck E. Cheese on South First and Ben White was a Showbiz.

Blazer Lazer Tag on the Ben White frontage was the Southwood Mall $1 theater. I remember going into that Southwood Mall for a coin store they had.

Madam Mam's on Westgate was Richard Jones BBQ. The Buffet Palace down the street was another $1 theater.

Adolph's Barber Shop (Manchaca & Ben White) used to be located in the old Westgate Mall. I'd get my hair cut there.

Celebration Station was awesome. It had two 18-hole putt-putt courses, a go-kart track, bumper boats and batting cages. Tons of games inside and dang good pizza.

The Whataburger at Manchaca & Ben White used to be on Gillis Street just south off of Ben White. Go look on Google street view and you can see the skeleton of the old sign and the fence on the back of the lot is striped orange and white.

The Dan's at Manchaca & Ben White used to be an A&W. It was smaller with no inside seating. A&W disappeared, but showed back up a few years ago across the street paired with Long John Silvers. That stretch of Ben White also used to have a Maryland's Fried Chicken.

There used to be a Kenny's Burgers. I think it was up on Airport...not sure of that. A cousin on my mother's side ran that a long time ago. I believe Dan of Dan's Hamburgers fame, worked for a place called King Burger(?).

That Randall's on Manchaca was indeed an Appletree, but I could have sworn it was a Tom Thumb before that. Perhaps Kevin is right and it was a Safeway. I know there was a Tom Thumb down south.

Do y'all remember Video Central? It was our go-to for video rental instead of Blockbuster and before Hollywood Video showed up. I think it was in the Westgate Marketplace shopping center.

There used to be a store akin to Sears called Best. I can't remember where it was located, but my grandma would take me there a lot.

That $.39 hamburger joint on Manchaca and Stassney didn't last more than a few months. It was terrible quality (obviously). My dad and I tried it one time. They didn't make custom burgers. They were so cheap because they were mass produced. They wouldn't make a cheaper burger (no tomatoes, etc). We didn't buy from them and they went out of business shortly thereafter.

On that same corner is an Enterprise Rental. That used to be a comic book store in the mid-late 90s. I spent many Friday nights there playing Magic: The Gathering (for shame). My friends and I would play at Conan's mostly, but the comic book store was packed. They also had computers networked together for Duke Nukem 3D deathmatches.

If I think of some more, I'll post again.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2012, 6:48 AM
Meh

Ah yes, the coin store at Southwood Mall. Austex Coins. The owner was Mike McCoy. I used to go there with my dad. I haven't seen him in years. I talked to someone recently at another coin shop who has been friends with him for 30 years and said he hasn't been to many of the coin shows. His dad who he co-owned the coin shop with passed away, as did his mom. I remember he was getting married not too long before the mall was redeveloped and they moved. I'm not sure if he still has a coin shop anywhere.

Yep, Video Central. Our HEB was at William Cannon and West Gate. HEB ended up buying Video Central. A friend of mine worked there for a while. I think there's a Gatti's Pizza and National American University in that space now. That HEB closed and moved down to their new store at Brodie in 1999. I remember we left for a trip to Colorado and came back and the old store was closed and new one was open. Then Albertsons occupied the old HEB West Gate location. Then they left Texas. Now it's some flea market.

The store called Best - Best Products. The location was in a stand alone building near US 290 and I-35. The building was later used at the "Crockett Center" - which was an exhibition space. I went there with a friend once for a postcard/stamp show. The Crockett Center company has left that location, they're on North Lamar now at 10601 North Lamar, but the old Best Products building near US 290 & I-35 is still there. It's now a Virginia College location. - Google map http://goo.gl/maps/PCyCW

There's a funny story about me and Best Products. Years ago my mom took me there with her shopping. I was maybe 3 or 4 years old. She was on the camera isle and somehow I grabbed a tripod that was on display. It fell over and hit me on the top of my head. I was ok, but I had a bump from it. I guess maybe that's where I got my photography bug from.

That's funny about the 39 cent hamburger place. I completely forgot about it even though that location is just a quarter mile away from me. What building was it in? There's a Subway there now. Was it in the shopping center, or on the other side where the bank is? That bank building has changed uses so many times. I think it's a title loan place now. I swear, that place must have bad luck or something.

And I remember the comic book store. I can't remember the name, was it Comic Cave? We went there and to one on West Gate near Ben White, and then there was another one on Manchaca near Ben White. And there was another we went to at Slaughter & Manchaca.

I remember dancing to the Ray Parker Jr.'s "Ghostbusters" playing on a juke box at Conan's Pizza probably not too long after the movie came out. Ghostbusters is the first movie I remember seeing in the theatre.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2012, 12:41 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Ah yes, the coin store at Southwood Mall. Austex Coins. The owner was Mike McCoy. I used to go there with my dad. I haven't seen him in years. I talked to someone recently at another coin shop who has been friends with him for 30 years and said he hasn't been to many of the coin shows. His dad who he co-owned the coin shop with passed away, as did his mom. I remember he was getting married not too long before the mall was redeveloped and they moved. I'm not sure if he still has a coin shop anywhere.
I remember an older gentleman, so maybe I always dealt with the father that has since passed. It was a cool place for a kid to gawk at coins from all over the world. He was always nice.

Quote:
The store called Best - Best Products. The location was in a stand alone building near US 290 and I-35. The building was later used at the "Crockett Center" - which was an exhibition space. I went there with a friend once for a postcard/stamp show. The Crockett Center company has left that location, they're on North Lamar now at 10601 North Lamar, but the old Best Products building near US 290 & I-35 is still there. It's now a Virginia College location. - Google map http://goo.gl/maps/PCyCW
Thanks for the location! I'm slightly surprised she would drive all that way with us. She lived around Manchaca & Ben White, so it was a bit of a trip with brats in the car. My memory is fuzzy re: Best, but I remember something being odd about the entrance. I was just a kid, so who knows?

Quote:
That's funny about the 39 cent hamburger place. I completely forgot about it even though that location is just a quarter mile away from me. What building was it in? There's a Subway there now. Was it in the shopping center, or on the other side where the bank is? That bank building has changed uses so many times. I think it's a title loan place now. I swear, that place must have bad luck or something.
It's the bank on the NW corner of Manchaca & Stassney. I think it was a Mexican food place after the burgers. Then a couple banks.

Cherry Creek Catfish has been there forever, but I believe it was an Italian restaurant previously. That Subway has been there seemingly forever.

Another restaurant that has changed is the Tree House Italian Grill on College Ave. It used to be the Pig Stand. It was a drive in and all the muscle cars and hot rods would hang out there, then drag up and down Congress. Wish I had seen that. I rely on stories from my dad.

Quote:
And I remember the comic book store. I can't remember the name, was it Comic Cave? We went there and to one on West Gate near Ben White, and then there was another one on Manchaca near Ben White. And there was another we went to at Slaughter & Manchaca.
Comic Cave doesn't sound familiar. But that one at Slaughter & Manchaca is still there. It's called Juniors Comics. They are now in the back corner.

Quote:
I remember dancing to the Ray Parker Jr.'s "Ghostbusters" playing on a juke box at Conan's Pizza probably not too long after the movie came out. Ghostbusters is the first movie I remember seeing in the theatre.
Other than playing Magic, they had this Tekken game by the door. I remember working up a sweat slapping away at that game. I don't think I ever really learned the moves. haha

How about this: old Short Stop locations? I know there was one on South First and Stassney. It's now a Pollo Loco. I'm sure there are a lot more that I don't remember. I know that Thundercloud by Alamo Drafthouse on Lamar certainly looks like one. I'm sure it has been or will be torn down, though.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2012, 11:59 PM
Meh

There's still a Short-Stop at Manchaca & William Cannon.

And yes, Junior Comics. My brother and I and our cousin were into Marvel comics. I still have two complete sets from 1994 and a few more from 1989/90 that I traded in school.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2012, 12:10 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

That City Market on Ben White was an A&P Grocery.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2012, 12:34 AM
Meh

I think it was a Sun Harvest once, too, long ago. I remember I used to get my haircut nextdoor to it.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2012, 3:27 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

That might be correct. A&P was there in the 60s/70s according to my dad.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2012, 6:47 PM
Austinite

Someone may have mentioned this in a previous post, but there was at one time a very large Kroger store (for the time) at the NE corner of Ben White and S 1st Street. It later became a Ross and Showbiz (now a Chuck-e-Cheese). Almost the entire front parking lot was chopped off to accommodate the Ben White freeway expansion in the 90s.

There was also an identical Kroger store on Burnet Road, just north of Anderson Lane (also became a Ross and Showbiz/Chuck-E-Cheese). That site will soon be torn down and replaced with a large mixed-use apartment complex.

From what I'm told, the Krogers were there in the mid-late 70s, and possibly into the early 80s.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2012, 2:34 PM
Unicorn Wizard!

Quote:
From what I'm told, the Krogers were there in the mid-late 70s, and possibly into the early 80s.
Really, I would go so far as to say there were Krogers in the region from as early as the 1960s to as late as the mid 1980s or even early 1990s.

In San Marcos the Hastings book/video store on south Hopkins was obviously a Kroger, it has that "greenhouse" front end that most early 1980 Kroger stores had. It is in the same shopping center as the ex-Walmart Hobby Lobby. I believe the Wally world opened around 1982 according to a local I knew when I briefly went to college there, it would make sense the Kroger opened around the same time.

Even farther back there was a little Kroger in downtown San Marcos. It was located in the mid-century era strip mall where Sundance Records and PC shop is now on University Drive facing campus. For a history class I had a bunch of pictures I got from the library showing SM back in the 1950s and 1960s, and you could see it in one. I think the photo was from like 1968, I can't remember.

Last edited by llamaorama; Dec 7, 2012 at 2:53 PM.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2012, 4:42 PM
Austinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamaorama View Post
Really, I would go so far as to say there were Krogers in the region from as early as the 1960s to as late as the mid 1980s or even early 1990s.

In San Marcos the Hastings book/video store on south Hopkins was obviously a Kroger, it has that "greenhouse" front end that most early 1980 Kroger stores had. It is in the same shopping center as the ex-Walmart Hobby Lobby. I believe the Wally world opened around 1982 according to a local I knew when I briefly went to college there, it would make sense the Kroger opened around the same time.

Even farther back there was a little Kroger in downtown San Marcos. It was located in the mid-century era strip mall where Sundance Records and PC shop is now on University Drive facing campus. For a history class I had a bunch of pictures I got from the library showing SM back in the 1950s and 1960s, and you could see it in one. I think the photo was from like 1968, I can't remember.
Oh yeah, I forgot about that. San Marcos did indeed have a Kroger during that period. I'm trying to remember if there were others in the Austin metro area. The dates I was referring to were for those specific stores in north and south Austin.

I also vaguely remember a Winn Dixie grocery store in Georgetown. It was located on Williams Drive (about a mile N of 35) and possibly another on University Avenue (Tx29), between 35 and Austin Ave. I believe it closed sometime in the 90s. There were more Winn Dixies in North and Central Texas up until the early 2000s (as far south as Waco, I believe). They pulled entirely out of Texas at that time.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2012, 4:56 PM
Unicorn Wizard!

Quote:
I also vaguely remember a Winn Dixie grocery store in Georgetown. It was located on Williams Drive (about a mile N of 35) and possibly another on University Avenue (Tx29), between 35 and Austin Ave. I believe it closed sometime in the 90s. There were more Winn Dixies in North and Central Texas up until the early 2000s (as far south as Waco, I believe). They pulled entirely out of Texas at that time.
Yeah, when I was a kid there was a store in far eastern Killeen near Harker Heights as late as 2003 or 2004. We never shopped there, you could just see it from the highway. Also Copperas Cove had one in the shopping center furthest down 190 but it had been closed forever, probably since right after the Gulf War.

I dunno, Winn Dixies were kind of blah. A lot like the Albertsons that were around here, kind of expensive and too basic and the only people who cared they were closing were my high school friend who worked there.

Last edited by llamaorama; Dec 7, 2012 at 5:17 PM.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2012, 10:58 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Didn't Austin also have Piggly Wigglys?

Old Posted Dec 8, 2012, 1:39 AM
Austinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
Didn't Austin also have Piggly Wigglys?
Sure did... Back in the 80's as I recall. I remember one in particular on 620 next to Round Rock High School. There several more around the city.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2012, 3:30 PM

Kroger and Piggly Wiggly (but not in that order)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopacs View Post
Sure did... Back in the 80's as I recall. I remember one in particular on 620 next to Round Rock High School. There several more around the city.
The Piggly Wiggly chain was in Wiilimason county but never made it into Travis County.

As for Kroger they tried to make a go in Austin and San Antonio with a distribution center in San Marcos - south San Marcos along Hunter road near Center Point road - it's now an HEB distribution center. There were two Kroger locations in Austin one on Burnet road between Anderson Lane and Steck Avenue now home to a Ross Dept store. The second was on Ben White at Congress - north east corner now a Chuck-e Cheese pizza. There might have been others but that's all I remember.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2016, 5:10 AM

The Yarborough branch library used to be a movie theater. I think I saw one of the original Star Wars movies there as a kid.
http://library.austintexas.gov/yarborough-branch

Old Posted Oct 8, 2016, 5:27 AM

Here's some more photos of it:

cinematreasures.org

pinterest.com

Old Posted Oct 8, 2016, 6:09 AM

Something else from the past: Pelican's Wharf restaurant near the river. They had great Alaskan king crab leg.

Last edited by eridanus; Oct 8, 2016 at 7:38 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin