HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

King's Wharf Lot I in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Halifax Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Jul 28, 2019, 11:25 PM

Looks like there goes the million dollar view of atleast one of the buildings on the opposite side of the road. Nice to see progress - was hoping this side of the development would get filled in soon. Still waiting for that beach to get put in lol

Old Posted Jul 29, 2019, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
HRM is rerouting a number of streets in that area so perhaps this is going on one of the changed ones.
That's true, but a look at the concept plan for the Downtown Dartmouth Infrastructure Project shows the work is mostly above Dartmouth Cove and not approaching the Kings Wharf lands. (The major changes are the realignment of the Alderney/Portland intersection and the extension of Dundas Street through to Maitland.)

The "Brightwork" rendering seems bizarre. It appears to show a building at the foot of a street and hard against the waterfront. I don't see anything resembling that on the Kings Wharf site plan, nor is there any pending 12-storey residential structure on the plan. There is certainly nothing proposed as part of Kings Wharf that is north of Alderney Drive.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2019, 3:02 PM

Is the 36-storey Maristella still in the plans for King's Wharf?

Old Posted Jul 29, 2019, 3:59 PM

They were looking at putting some townhouses onto the emergency lane flyover (second entrance) but I don't think any of that is fully finalised yet. This new building would be Lot J on the site plan on their website, but I also don't think that is fully updated.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2019, 5:42 PM

So if it is block J then that is on a street that has not yet been built, one that goes northward back towards the ferry terminal area. Essentially it appears to intersect where the entrance to the parking lot is right now, and this proposal would be some distance along that new street, not right at that corner. The townhouses shown are equally fictional for the moment.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2020, 7:30 PM

King's Wharf Developers are looking to get a new development agreement approved:

https://www.halifax.ca/city-hall/com...munity-council

https://www.halifax.ca/sites/default...hemdcc1311.pdf (site plan at page 33)

Old Posted Jan 6, 2020, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Querce View Post
King's Wharf Developers are looking to get a new development agreement approved:
One thing I wonder is about the safety of sharing the grade separated emergency access with pedestrians and cyclists. EDIT I suppose it is, in effect, a pedestrian walkway which can be used by emergency vehicles.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2020, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyWuz View Post
One thing I wonder is about the safety of sharing the grade separated emergency access with pedestrians and cyclists. EDIT I suppose it is, in effect, a pedestrian walkway which can be used by emergency vehicles.
I believe 'grade seperated' means a ramp. The previous plan for a ramp was further south.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2020, 7:20 PM

Old Posted Feb 7, 2020, 7:28 PM

I think those renderings are a bit out of date. The approved design includes a second access that is integrated into Building J.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2020, 10:22 PM

And the beach is not a guarantee either as I think there are some additional issues with HRM and their land for that.

I'm just happy to see this approved so it can move forward.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2020, 3:06 PM

My Council summary on this one

https://samaustin.ca/council-update-kings-wharf/

Old Posted Feb 10, 2020, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaustin View Post
Thanks for your input, Sam. This is the first I'm hearing about that helix bridge that was originally planned, so they are just trying to get away with having the single access road to the entire community?

If a train is going through when an emergency is happening, they can't really afford to wait 10+ minutes for it to pass, no? Curious to see how they would fix that.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2020, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleblanc View Post
Thanks for your input, Sam. This is the first I'm hearing about that helix bridge that was originally planned, so they are just trying to get away with having the single access road to the entire community?

If a train is going through when an emergency is happening, they can't really afford to wait 10+ minutes for it to pass, no? Curious to see how they would fix that.
It's one access day-to-day. But the pedestrian overpass integrated into Building J is large enough that it can be used by emergency vehicles during an emergency.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2020, 12:05 AM

There is a new proposal for the lot on Alderney (or CN Track) and King's Wharf Place. 26 stories.

HRM Case 2022867

Old Posted Apr 19, 2020, 1:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kph06 View Post
There is a new proposal for the lot on Alderney (or CN Track) and King's Wharf Place. 26 stories.

HRM Case 2022867
Looks great. It appears this is "Lot E" in the above map, but it looks like they've removed the cul-de-sac separating the building and the railway?

81.5M in height, this will be one of the tallest in the HRM and will look great on the Dartmouth skyline. Still waiting on any news for the 34-storey tower which I thought was coming next?

Old Posted Apr 19, 2020, 4:45 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I wonder where Brightwork fits in with this. Is Brightwork still planned? Which one are they building first, or will they build them concurrently?

There are also townhouses in the plan. Those would add more of a "neighbourhood" feel to this area, which right now is just one row of buildings.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2020, 1:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I wonder where Brightwork fits in with this. Is Brightwork still planned? Which one are they building first, or will they build them concurrently?

There are also townhouses in the plan. Those would add more of a "neighbourhood" feel to this area, which right now is just one row of buildings.
From CBC: "Fares said construction on the ramp and two new buildings, a 24-storey apartment complex and a 12-storey condominium, will get underway in the next few months."

From what I gather, Brightwork is Site "J", the 12 storey condo building and will be built concurrently with the 26 storey apartment building on Site "E"

Old Posted Apr 19, 2020, 2:47 PM

Hmmm... 26 floors. Not bad!

Old Posted Apr 19, 2020, 7:35 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleblanc View Post
From CBC: "Fares said construction on the ramp and two new buildings, a 24-storey apartment complex and a 12-storey condominium, will get underway in the next few months."

From what I gather, Brightwork is Site "J", the 12 storey condo building and will be built concurrently with the 26 storey apartment building on Site "E"
Thanks. That'll make for a big change.

Here's one of the elevations from the PDF:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth