HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 7:02 PM

Last edited by Pedestrian; Feb 2, 2018 at 7:12 PM.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
top 10 metro areas in US in 1890

1. New York
2. Philadelphia
3. Chicago
4. Boston
5. St. Louis
6. Baltimore
7. Pittsburgh
8. Cincinnati
9. Minneapolis
10. San Francisco

a takeaway is that the river cities ruled the interior...and i mean almost the entire settled interior, with the sole exception of chicago of course. it's when all the largest of the giant mansions really started going up, at least in (and around) st. louis (i have seen neighborhoods in cincinnati with mansions that look identical and i imagine pittsburgh is the same). the 1880s should be looped into that period of extreme wealth as well.
This is proabably per capita? Different metrics could be used to confidently make the case for probably a lot of cities on that list as wealthiest. That's why I said arguably.

Pittsburgh had more of the world's wealthiest living in and/or having their business interests in during that time than anywhere else in the world... that's more where I was coming from. In that era, there was no place with a greater concentration of wealth.

You can go down the list of the wealthiest people of the era... Carnegie, Frick, Phipps, Thaw, A. Mellon, R. Mellon, Schwab... still some of the wealthiest men in history... and that's not even scratching the surface... if you consider dudes like Westinghouse or Vandergrift and Lockhart (Rockefeller's partners) or Hunt or Heinz. The number of billionaire and millionaire industrialists that resided in Pittsburgh (mostly in the same neighborhood) is remarkable.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 7:32 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
This is proabably per capita? Different metrics could be used to confidently make the case for probably a lot of cities on that list as wealthiest. That's why I said arguably.

Pittsburgh had more of the world's wealthiest living in and/or having their business interests in during that time than anywhere else in the world... that's more where I was coming from. In that era, there was no place with a greater concentration of wealth.

You can go down the list of the wealthiest people of the era... Carnegie, Frick, Phipps, Thaw, A. Mellon, R. Mellon, Schwab... still some of the wealthiest men in history... and that's not even scratching the surface... if you consider dudes like Westinghouse or Vandergrift and Lockhart (Rockefeller's partners) or Hunt or Heinz. The number of billionaire and millionaire industrialists that resided in Pittsburgh (mostly in the same neighborhood) is remarkable.
no, sorry, that's just metropolitan population rankings. has nothing to do with wealth per capita, economic strength, etc. i was just trying to highlight sort of the state of cities during that time frame, as it was arguably peak industrial river city which you might agree with. pittsburgh was undoubtedly an industrialist juggernaut.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
Oh, this one's well known:
i mean, while you are probably right, the rise of california, the gold rush and san francisco had a huge effect on the 19th century u.s. (and subsequently the 20th) as well. after the 60s, though, i guess the 19th century history sort of was dialed down.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
no, sorry, that's just metropolitan population rankings. has nothing to do with wealth per capita, economic strength, etc. i was just trying to highlight sort of the state of cities during that time frame, as it was arguably peak industrial river city which you might agree with. pittsburgh was undoubtedly an industrialist juggernaut.
ahhh... sorry, got it now. That Victorian-Industrial-Gilded Age was a pretty damn impressive time for American cities.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 7:45 PM

Between the alternative/grunge movement, Ken Griffey Jr, Microsoft and Frasier, the early 90s belonged to Seattle in many ways. Starbucks is also kind of a product of that time period, albeit it took a couple years before there was one on every corner in America.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 7:54 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

while i think cle got up to fifth place, there are a lot of these pretty cool colorized 'sixth city' postcards around from the first half of the last century.
that was probably the hayday.

although the more infamous burning river/default 60s-70s run to the suburbs era could be a contender

drew carey’s fav booster slogan:
(nothing like basing self promotion off somewhere else!)

Last edited by mrnyc; Feb 3, 2018 at 8:16 AM.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 710cl View Post
Between the alternative/grunge movement, Ken Griffey Jr, Microsoft and Frasier, the early 90s belonged to Seattle in many ways. Starbucks is also kind of a product of that time period, albeit it took a couple years before there was one on every corner in America.
The first Starbucks outside Seattle opened in Chicago in 1987, so I would think that by the early 90s it was definitely well known enough among the cognescenti to be identified with that time period. The early 90s were probably the last time Starbucks was considered cool.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 8:24 PM
An Optimistic Realist

Yes, Pedestrian. SF in the 60s was its peak in American and World History. It was the epicenter of the counter-cultural movement that changed everything. Housing wasn't as expensive and hippies were all around. The Summer of Love happened and most of the psychedelic rock stars were developing a new sound with LSD. Some of the fun trickled into the 70s but there will never be another 60s.

2420 Hyde Street, San Francisco, California 94108, United States by Bousquairol's Gallery, on Flickr

North Beach Glitter - San Francisco, Calif. by Heather David, on Flickr

Union Square San Francisco postcard 1960s by Heather David, on Flickr

SAN FRANCISCO 1966 by Demode, on Flickr

San Francisco From Air 1964 by Mark Faviell, on Flickr

San Francisco Skyway by Heather David, on Flickr

Tram - San Francisco - 1962 by Martin Snelling, on Flickr

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 8:43 PM

For Toronto you could probably argue that it's ongoing as we speak.

Either that or from the mid 1970's to maybe 1988. It notably started with the nationalist demonstrations in Quebec and the subsequent exodus of the Anglo population and several major companies. When Bank of Montreal relocated to the city in 1975, the transfer of influence was complete.

In terms of international presence and pop culture that's probably debatable as well. I'm too young to offer any insight into how Neil Young and Rush compare to Drake and Justin Beiber.

1970:

1988:

Source:https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...e-skydome.html

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 8:57 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
I'm too young to offer any insight into how Neil Young and Rush compare to Drake and Justin Beiber.
seriously?

neil young and rush shit all over drake, and then use justin beiber for toilet paper.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 9:10 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

I’d say the LA zeitgeist peaked during the 1920s, 1960s, and 1980s. It’s probably the definitive city of the 20th century after NYC, having gone from a large town to a major iconic world capital.

NYC at its absolute peak was the mid to late 1990s. Urban revitalization, solid economy, popular sitcoms, successful sports teams, flourishing fashion houses, and before 9/11 and mass gentrification/globalism. It will never be able to duplicate that zeitgeist.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 9:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
seriously?

neil young and rush shit all over drake, and then use justin beiber for toilet paper.
I mean objectively in terms of their effect on international perceptions of Toronto. I'm no Drake fan by any means, but I respect the man for not bailing to Hollywood at the first chance he had. He reps the city harder than any other musician I've heard, both in his music and with his affiliation with the Raptors, OVO, etc.

I'd take Rush any day, but there's no doubt that Drake has helped put the "6ix" on the map.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3189 View Post
Yes, Pedestrian. SF in the 60s was its peak in American and World History. It was the epicenter of the counter-cultural movement that changed everything. Housing wasn't as expensive and hippies were all around. The Summer of Love happened and most of the psychedelic rock stars were developing a new sound with LSD. Some of the fun trickled into the 70s but there will never be another 60s.
Video Link

The "fun" definitely trickled into the 70's but it wasn't the same fun. The 70s were the era when gay San Francisco ruled and Castro St. took over from Haight St. See below:

Last edited by Pedestrian; Feb 2, 2018 at 9:47 PM.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 9:20 PM

Quote:
I would argue that SF's peak is going on right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
I’d say the LA zeitgeist peaked during the 1920s, 1960s, and 1980s. It’s probably the definitive city of the 20th century after NYC, having gone from a large town to a major iconic world capital.

NYC at its absolute peak was the mid to late 1990s. Urban revitalization, solid economy, popular sitcoms, successful sports teams, flourishing fashion houses, and before 9/11 and mass gentrification/globalism.
I would give the early to mid-90s to L.A. There was just a lot of pop culture shit happening that put L.A. front and center: riots, OJ, Rodney King, TV shows (Beverly Hills 90210, Melrose Place, Fresh Prince of Bel Air, etc).

I think NYC definitely owned the late 90s and on, though. It started before 9/11, but the attacks really seemed to center NYC for the next decade.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 9:21 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Waaaaaarrioooooooooors!

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post

NYC at its absolute peak was the mid to late 1990s. Urban revitalization, solid economy, popular sitcoms, successful sports teams, flourishing fashion houses, and before 9/11 and mass gentrification/globalism. It will never be able to duplicate that zeitgeist.
i'd argue that overall, L.A. dominated the core of the twentieth century over NYC within the american consciousness (not along the lines of financial metrics, etc). i'd also argue that NYC was kind of a funny bookend on both ends, though, squiring the century in and then back out in a critical way...sort of reminding everyone who is actually in charge...

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 9:31 PM
An Optimistic Realist

Quixote, that is true about NYC. The 1930s-1960s were a unique high point as well. By the 1920s, New York surpassed London as the largest city in the world. Later on, it surpassed Paris as a global cultural capital. With the Art Deco magnificence of the Empire State Building and Chrysler to the continued resilience of Americans during the Great Depression and World War II, the interwar years was a time of absolute greatness. The skyline was the major attraction. So many of the world's tallest buildings at the time were constructed and dominated in an era like no other. I believe the were two World's fairs at the time. This legacy helped NYC rise up again from the nadir of the 70s and 80s to be an enduring center in the 90s to our time.

midtown-manhattan-skyline-night-view-new-york-1930s_8150080687_o by cobra victor, on Flickr

Pike and Henry Streets, Manhattan. by New York Public Library, on Flickr

New York, 1939 by kawkawpa, on Flickr

Sound (1932-40) by Amara, on Flickr

1930 TIMES SQUARE Vintage Photo Postcard PEPSODENT Chevrolet NYC new york city by Christian Montone, on Flickr

nyc_v7_110 by Jani Vee, on Flickr

Bourke-White, Margaret (1904-1971) - 1930 Hats in the Garment District, NY by RasMarley, on Flickr

Hine, Lewis (1874-1940) - 1931 Icarus, High Up on Empire State by RasMarley, on Flickr

Drivers in 1930s and 1940s cars zip along through the Meadowlands swamps on Route 46 while the Chrysler Building and Midtown Manhattan hover in a different world. Not a hint of the NJ Turnpike in the distance. Bendix, New Jersey. 1942 by Andy Blair, on Flickr

close up of downtown Brooklyn 1938 by George Lane, on Flickr

SPORTS BASEBALL NY New York City 1930s Yankee Stadium HOME OF THE NEW YORK YANKEES The House That Ruth Built ANTIQUE POSTCARD Sports History and Heritagea1a9 by Don...The UpNorth Memories Guy... Harrison, on Flickr

New York City. East river and Midtown Manhattan view! Between 1931 and 1938 by cobravictor, on Flickr

New York World's Fair 1964 by Raindear60, on Flickr

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 9:36 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
I would give the early to mid-90s to L.A. There was just a lot of pop culture shit happening that put L.A. front and center: riots, OJ, Rodney King, TV shows (Beverly Hills 90210, Melrose Place, Fresh Prince of Bel Air, etc).

I think NYC definitely owned the late 90s and on, though. It started before 9/11, but the attacks really seemed to center NYC for the next decade.
I would give the early 90s to Seattle (grunge, Microsoft, Ken Griffey Jr.) only because it was such a culturally defining moment for a small city that had barely registered on the radar up to that point.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 9:42 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Kudos to Pedestrian for including the Dead in his San Francisco montage.

Standing on the moon
Where talk is cheap and vision true
Standing on the moon
But I would rather be with you
Somewhere in San Francisco
On a back porch in July
Just looking up to heaven
At this crescent in the sky

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions