HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted May 6, 2009, 11:37 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

So, I checking up on Flint's mayoral race, and I see some guy named Dayne Walling (who I've never heard of) ends up getting 44% of the vote and Brenda Clack (who I've heard of, but only barely) ekes out a 14-vote lead over Buchanan to get a fraction over 16% of the vote.

From comments I read a Michigan Live people are still saying that Clack is a shoe-in because the black vote in Flint was split so many ways, but is it treally that simple? Does this Walling guy have any chance of winning? I'm thinking Walling could have a chance at winning because of the 'change' message that's still resonating even at the local level, these days. I mean, Dave Bing just ousted an establishment candidate down in Detroit, yesterday. How popular is Clack, and what is she popular for?

Old Posted May 6, 2009, 1:25 PM

Walling barely lost against Williamson in the last mayoral election, so his name has been in the news for a few years. He's young, educated, and seems to have his head on straight.

Clack is a former state representative and a current county commissioner, so she has been in the political game for a long time. I think she's far from a shoe-in, since in my opinion, she probably has the most un-favorable ratings out of any of the other black candidates. However, she'll still get a large percentage of the black vote, so it should be a close race.

Old Posted May 7, 2009, 6:02 AM

I'd like to see Walling get a chance. From what little I've seen and researched on him, he seems completely genuine and not in this for the fame. That's not to say that Clack is, but Flint needs some young blood up top, you know, give Flint it's own Obama. lol

Quote:

Flint mayoral race could become west side story

by Joe Lawlor | The Flint Journal
Wednesday May 06, 2009, 10:54 PM

FLINT, Michigan -- Dayne Walling vows to win black votes in the north end.

Brenda Clack said she's going to campaign in Walling's white stronghold in the College Cultural District.

But the campaign for Flint's next mayor may be decided in the more racially mixed neighborhoods on the city's west side.

"I will be watching the Bradley Street area up to McLaren hospital," said Genesee County Clerk Michael Carr, a longtime election watcher. "That will be very interesting to see."

Walling and Clack were the top two winners in Tuesday's six-way mayoral primary to decide who would compete in the August general election.

Walling captured 44 percent of the vote, while Clack finished a distant second with 16 percent.

If the battle comes down to the west side, both campaigns have reason for hope.

Walling ran up big numbers on Tuesday in some parts of the west side, including Mott Park and the Corunna Road corridor.

But Clack lives on the west side and represented the area when she was a state representative.

Tuesday, she won the west side area north of Flushing Road, bordering the Flint Township line, and she tied Walling in the adjacent precinct to the east.

"I think the whole west side will be a swing district," Walling said.

Clack said she has been noticing that the west side is becoming more racially diverse.

Neighborhoods that used to be mostly white are now diverse, and vice versa.

But Clack said it's time to move past race-based campaigning.

"I don't want to make this campaign about race," Clack said. "We need to deal with the issues. I'm not going to single out a group and say, 'I'm going to serve you more.'"

Nevertheless, votes in Flint often break along racial lines.

Carr said he sees both candidates making inroads with voters of the other race.

"I think Walling will be able to pick up black votes," Carr said. "Conversely, I think Clack will appeal to some white voters. She is very well-known, liked and trusted."

Resident Sonia Latta, who is black and a Clack supporter, said so many people know her from her community activism and her roots as a teacher.

"She is going to take it all the way," Latta said. "She has a huge following.

Walling said he was proud to be competitive in a few black precincts that he targeted with extra door-to-door campaigning, phone calls and mailings. Walling ended up winning two black precincts, one on the north end and one on the south end.

"I wanted to prove that we could win African-American support even in a primary with five African-American candidates," Walling said. "I believe the voters in this city don't care about race or skin color."

In one black precinct off of Lapeer Road, near Perani Arena, Walling outpaced Clack by 30 votes.

Carr said the streets south of Lapeer Road in that precinct traditionally have featured homes where more affluent blacks live. He said Walling has strong appeal with higher-income residents.

Carr said money may also be a big factor. While Walling has proven to be a prolific fund-raiser, Carr said, Clack isn't as well-funded.

"Can she raise the money?" Carr said. "She never really needed a lot of money in her other races."

Walling spent $45,000, while Clack spent $11,000, according to pre-election reports filed with the county.

Last edited by LMich; May 7, 2009 at 10:09 AM.

Old Posted May 27, 2009, 2:14 AM

Raspberries Rhythm Cafe & Bar to serve up music along with food downtown

Quote:
http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/inde...fe_bar_to.html

Raspberries Rhythm Cafe & Bar to serve up music along with food downtown
by Melissa Burden | The Flint Journal
Tuesday May 26, 2009, 4:38 PM
Stuart Bauer | The Flint Journal David Berry plans a grand opening of Raspberries Rhythm Cafe & Bar in downtown Flint around July 4.

FLINT, Michigan -- It's been a vision nearly 15 years in the making. Now David Berry is nearing the finish line to open his downtown restaurant and bar.

There were delays, water damage to the south wall and a court decision that didn't go in his favor, but Berry plans to open Raspberries Rhythm Cafe & Bar, 448 S. Saginaw St., around July 4.

"I just wasn't going to let my dream be deterred by anyone," he said Tuesday, sitting in one of the stairstep black booths that dot the brick walls of the 3,100-square-foot bar, lit by colored lights.

Raspberries, the white building with black trim that sits between The Lunch Studio and the Genesee County Land Bank building, will be open Thursday through Sunday evenings.

"We're going to play rhythm, blues and feature jazz music," Berry said. "We're gong to dim the lights, turn the music up after 9 and become a club."

There will be a full bar and appetizers such as shrimp toast, buffalo wings and spring rolls and American cuisine such as steaks, prime rib and seafood.

"I'm hoping to bring some really jazzy desserts down here, too," Berry said.

Berry, a licensed plumber during the day, has a culinary background (he's a former sous chef) and plans to do a lot of the cooking himself.

He was close to opening the bar earlier this decade, but a roof leak delayed it.

Berry sued the Genesee County Land Bank next door, claiming the leak came from that building. Eventually the suit was dismissed and the Land Bank dropped a countersuit.

Berry had the building up for sale for awhile, but after he secured financing, he and his family got back to work on the bar in February.

There are still final touches that need to go in, such as the decorations on the walls and the dishwasher in the kitchen, but Berry is excited for the project to be complete.

"We hope the community comes out and supports us," he said.

Berry said he's not worried about the competition of new downtown restaurants and bars (501 Bar & Grill and WizeGuys Pizza Inc. also are on tap to open soon less than a block away).

"I'll be able to add a little bit of twist down here...," he said. "We're going to be in here dancing."

Tracey Whelpley, owner of The Lunch Studio, said she supports Berry's efforts to bring something different downtown.

"I think that it's cool that he wants to do jazz because we don't really have that here and I think that will be pretty popular," she said.

Whelpley, whose restaurant has been open 7 1/2 years, said she hopes that there will be enough clientele to go around for all the restaurants and bars -- some serving similar fare -- opening this year.

"I feel like there's a little too much in the food coming in down here -- too much at once," she said, adding she'd like to see more nonfood businesses open downtown.

Berry said he might not be done developing the building. There are drawings for efficiency apartments for the building's top two floors.

"If all goes well and if there's federal money still available, we're going to try to tap into that and become a mixed use building," he said.

For those who know downtown Flint, this block is directly across from the huge surface. The next block south includes the new Community Foundation Building (with 2 restaurants set to open) and the Rowe Building that is finally on its way to completion.

From the far left of the picture the buildings are: First Street Lofts, Land Band and CRIM Headquarters, Raspberrys (with the yellow oval around it), the Lunch Studio, the Atwood Building (which houses Legal Services of Eastern Michigan), Brown Sugar Cafe, J. London's Apparel, the Mad Hatter, and then a building that I forget what is/used to be there.

J. London's, Mad Hatter, and a Republic Bank branch in the First Street Lofts building (that may not be there anymore?) are the only things that were on this block in 2000 - so the turnaround has been pretty incredible.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2009, 5:41 PM

Acting Flint Mayor Michael Brown vows to get Buick City trade hub off the ground

http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/inde...ael_bro_1.html

Quote:
Acting Flint Mayor Michael Brown vows to get Buick City trade hub off the ground
by Kristin Longley | The Flint Journal
Tuesday June 02, 2009, 11:39 AM

Acting Flint Mayor Michael Brown today announced an ambitious goal for his last few months in office: Transform General Motors' old Buick City site into a multimillion-dollar transportation hub.

About 600 new Flint jobs could be created by the project, which has been in the works for years but stalled due to lack of funding.

An unnamed investor recently breathed new life into the project, and Brown is confident the intermodal hub will be on its way to reality by the time he leaves office, he said.

"By August we'll get it done," he said after a town hall meeting with residents at Brennan Community Center. "I may have egg on my face, but we're going to move forward."

The 235-acre Buick City complex closed in 1999, leaving behind one of the state's largest brownfield sites. Easy access to the highways and the heavy rail running through it could make it an ideal freight center where products could be transferred from rail to road.

While most of the property has been razed, GM Powertrain Flint North sits at the north end of the site. Flint North was one of the plants identified Monday for closure as part of GM's restructuring plan.

Duane Miller, city governmental operations director, said GM's bankruptcy announcement will not affect the project.

"It's not a step backward," he said. "We don't see that as derailing the project at all."

The former Buick City site can handle a big transportation load. At one time, Buick City shipped out about 700 cars per day by rail and another 700 by truck.

That doesn't count the tons of materials shipped in and out as part of the overall manufacturing processes. At one time, about 20,000 people worked at the site.

But more than 100 years of manufacturing there have caused a host of environmental concerns that will have to be dealt with in any land deal.

Brown said General Motors, the city and the Environmental Protection Agency are working together to negotiate issues surrounding the long-term liabilities of the site. The Genesee Regional Chamber of Commerce and the Genesee County Land Bank are also working on the project, he said.

"It's definitely a positive development," he said. "While we're sorry to see Flint North close, this is a positive for us."

Old Posted Jun 4, 2009, 3:19 PM

Picture updates

Work continues on the Durant, and it looks like they have A LOT of work left.

Stage I Renovation continues at The Riverfront Residence Hall

Future Home of Raspberry's Rhythm Cafe & Bar (white building)

Wize Guy's Pizza and 501 Bar & Grill

Rowe Building

Old Posted Jun 4, 2009, 6:42 PM
Just win, Billikens.

These pics are always appreciated.

That Raspberry's building is certainly goofy. Too bad the owner isn't exposing the original facade.

501 and Rowe look great though!

Old Posted Jun 4, 2009, 7:14 PM

At least the black and white house scheme is a bit less noticeable than the colorful house scheme. Still, a really nice building lives beneath that facade.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2009, 7:57 PM

I would think that with all the money floating around for projects downtown (from the DDA, Uptown, Mott), that the owner would be able to find some funds to get that facade taken care of.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2009, 2:43 AM

Biogas project is inked: All eyes are now on Flint for all the right reasons

http://www.mlive.com/opinion/flint/i...ed_all_ey.html

An editorial from the Flint Journal

Quote:
Biogas project is inked: All eyes are now on Flint for all the right reasons
by The Flint Journal Editorial Board
Thursday June 25, 2009, 5:44 AM

The biogas project lives!

It's been a while since we've heard much of anything about progress in the Swedish biogas plant planned for Flint's wastewater treatment plant.

On Monday, the Flint City Council voted 6-1 to lock in an operating and development agreement with Swedish Biogas International, the private company that aims to make a clean and odorless fuel from human waste.

Construction may begin in August, with the plant producing biogas to heat the wastewater treatment plant by the end of the year.

It isn't quite time to uncross your fingers in the hope that this new technology really will use Flint as its toehold in North America.

But it indeed appears that Flint may be the first community on this continent to get a biogas plant up and operating.

The nation and this part of the world will look to Flint for expertise in this developing technology.

Boy, is that going to feel good.

With our idle workers, our skilled machinists and all of the expertise it took to make Flint a leader in making automobile for 100 years, we are in position to grow into a leader for making what makes cars run.

The second phase of the Flint biogas project aims to turn the gas into biomethane, a gas for powering motor vehicles. In Linkoping, Sweden, the home of Swedish Biogas, the taxis and buses run on the biofuel. Car drivers can buy the fuel at filling stations.

Here's the real promise of biogas: The Swedes have figured out how to make the stuff from almost anything. In Sweden, grasses are used to produce the fuel in some cases.

The promise of this new technology for Genesee County and Michigan cannot be overstated.

Hey, we can make anything, right?

So, let's make the gear, refine the processes, for growing and producing a fuel of the future for a world that desperately needs to break its crude oil habit.

As projects like this go, the biogas plant has unfolded at top speed.

And it fell smack-dab into Flint's lap.

It grew from Gov. Jennifer Granholm's economic development mission a few years ago to Sweden. It became a partnership of the city, Kettering University, the state and Swedish Biogas. The Mott Foundation and the federal government jumped on board. The city is working with Flint Township, where its treatment plant is located.

King Carl XVI Gustav of Sweden visited Flint; biogas is a pet project of the benevolent monarch.

Then the grants came flooding in to fund the United State's first biogas plant. Flint will host the facility in unused buildings, but it apparently won't cost local governments a dime.

In fact, Flint could save as must as $3.5 million in fuel and heating costs in the first seven years of the biogas plant's operation. In their agreement, the city and Swedish Biogas will share revenue from the plant, 50-50.

That's a nice byproduct.

But the main event is this new technology, the new expertise that Kettering will develop and the offshoot, possibly automotive, industries that are bound to occur.

This time, all eyes are on Flint - for all of the right reasons.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2009, 9:57 AM

Before I even read to the bottom I was thinking: "this is pretty much the direct result of Granholm's Swedish trip, huh?" It looks like some of these trips are finally starting to pay off in actual dollars. This really does seem like a perfect fit. I mean, if anyone's going to be able to refine this for autos in this country, it'll be Kettering.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2009, 1:27 PM

Flint's Atwood Stadium to gain new life

http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/inde...m_to_gain.html

Quote:
Flint's Atwood Stadium to gain new life as promoter signs on to bring events there; gospel show and college fest planned
by Dean Bohn | The Flint Journal
Thursday June 25, 2009, 2:25 PM

FLINT, Michigan -- Members of the Atwood Stadium Authority board say the historic attraction will have a fresh life as a new partner signed on today to promote it.

Board members unanimously agreed to enter an agreement with Stewardship Promotions -- a member of the Flint Area Convention and Visitors Bureau -- to manage and book events for the 10,000-seat outdoor stadium, 701 W. University.

Stewardship co-owner John Rhymes this afternoon announced some of the activities planned for the 80-year-old stadium, including two entertainment events already scheduled, and how advertising and sponsorship opportunities are now available for the stadium.

"The purpose of the Atwood Stadium Authority was to bring the stadium's infrastructure up to 21st Century standards," said Duncan Beagle, a member of the Authority. "We've done that. Now we need someone like Stewardship Promotions to manage the stadium, book events and help bring Atwood back to its glory days."

One of the planned events is a "Flint Celebration of Gospel" concert from 6-9 p.m. Sunday, Aug. 16, featuring the Christian group Tye Tribbett and GA, as well as the Flint City Wide Gospel Choir, Vanessa Bell Armstrong, the Rev. Daryl Coley and the William Brothers.

Another event is the "Celebration of Harvest" festival with Flint's college and university students from 5-11 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 12. The event is a show by area college fraternity and sorority members, a food taste event, local talent show, a free concert and fireworks.

In addition to bringing in events to Atwood, Stewardship Promotions will be responsible for scheduling all Atwood stadium events, such as high school football games, sport camps and other attractions.

"With Flint transforming from a factory town to college town, Atwood Stadium is the perfect place to help foster that transition because it's nestled between some of our major universities -- Kettering University and University of Michigan-Flint and Mott Community College," Rhymes said.

"We plan to have many events that cater to the students, but also we want programs that are family-friendly that people of all ages will enjoy."

Surprised they didn't mention the UM-Flint Football club that will begin playing at Atwood this fall.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2009, 1:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMich View Post
Before I even read to the bottom I was thinking: "this is pretty much the direct result of Granholm's Swedish trip, huh?" It looks like some of these trips are finally starting to pay off in actual dollars. This really does seem like a perfect fit. I mean, if anyone's going to be able to refine this for autos in this country, it'll be Kettering.

The U.S. Ambassador to Sweden, Michael Wood, grew up in Flint so that's another reason why it's coming to Flint.

And I don't remember if I posted about this earlier, but the wastewater facility is in Flint Township, so when the news broke that this plant was coming, everyone seemed to forget that the City of Flint needed to apply to Flint Township for a building permit until some official from the Township said something like, "Well, we'll have to hold some meetings to discuss this and see what the impact will be" - lol. Most news stories now don't even mention the location of the plant, they'll just say "Flint's wastewater treatment plant".

Old Posted Jun 27, 2009, 4:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk1982 View Post
Most news stories now don't even mention the location of the plant, they'll just say "Flint's wastewater treatment plant".
That actually sounds like a very good thing, that they aren't making that distinction. It's way past time that Michigan's urban townships realized and accepted that they aren't competing against their respective cities, anymore, but the entire world.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2009, 8:59 PM

Consultant recommends University of Michigan-Flint launch a seven-sport varsity progr

http://blog.mlive.com/higher-educati..._universi.html

Quote:
Consultant recommends University of Michigan-Flint launch a seven-sport varsity program starting with basketball
Posted by Beata Mostafavi| Flint Journal June 26, 2009 16:15PM
Categories: Flint - News

FLINT, Michigan -- The University of Michigan-Flint could roll out a seven-sport varsity athletics program starting with men's and women's basketball, according to a consultant's feasibility report released Friday.

Next would be soccer, then baseball and softball and women's cross country, consultant Alden & Associates recommended in the report.

But launching such programs on campus for the first time could still be a couple of years away -- and the university would have to find a way to fund an annual estimated cost of $528,000 for all seven sports.

"The answer was yes, you can do varsity sports," said David Lossing, UM-Flint's director of government relations who led a commission that explored the idea of sports at UM-Flint.

"It would be a huge undertaking. You get one chance to do it right. We are the University of Michigan so we will do it the Michigan way and that might take a couple of years."

UM-Flint is the only public university (and one of the only four-year schools) in the state without an athletics program , so I'd say it's about time to start. Especially basketball - how can a city with such a storied basketball tradition not have a basketball team at its major university?

There is an club football team starting in the fall, so maybe we could see a varsity football team in the near future, too??

Old Posted Jun 27, 2009, 10:38 PM

Ehhhh, 21st century standards? They have field turf yet?

Still remembering bloody elbows when I played football there in highschool.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2009, 11:10 PM

If the football club turns into a varsity team, then I'm sure The University of Michigan would be more than willing to spend a few dollars to equip Atwood with state-of-the-art field turf.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2009, 3:33 AM

Mott Community College to open $1 million entertainment technology center to train st

http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/inde...e_to_open.html

Quote:
Mott Community College to open $1 million entertainment technology center to train students for film jobs
by Beata Mostafavi| Flint Journal
Wednesday June 24, 2009, 6:30 PM

By Beata Mostafavi
bmostafavi@boothmidmichigan.com • 810.766.6210

FLINT -- Psst, Hollywood: We've got workers for you, coming soon in Flint.

Mott Community College officials hope to produce future editors, dubbers and gaffers on its campus, pouring nearly $1.1 million into a new entertainment technology facility to train students for jobs in Michigan's booming film industry.

Construction has started to transform the roughly 5,400 square-foot terrace of the Mott Memorial building and former studio of Flint television station WFUM into a film laboratory.

The college plans to use the facility for several new academic programs in the film field to be launched next year.

"If we can show the nation that we have a trained workforce that can help the film industry and that brings the film industry into Michigan, we will have an increased number of job opportunities here," said Larry Koehler, executive director of physical plant at MCC.

Administrators are hoping to offer students a degree program in entertainment technology, along with several specialized certificates that would prepare them for entry-level, behind-the-scenes jobs.

College officials are still designing the new curriculum, studying similar programs at other community colleges and universities in the state and in California, the Mecca of movie-making.

Koehler said it's likely that national producers will bring their own staff for photography and other key jobs. But editing, lighting, dubbing and some tech jobs may be filled locally.

Students could also use training for other types of media production jobs such as producing training videos or recording audio.

Several colleges have tried to get on the front lines of training for the growing film industry -- as Michigan's new tax incentives has made it one of the cheapest places in the country to make a film.

Earlier this year, MCC joined two other community colleges in the state to contract with TicTock Studios in Grand Rapids, which offered a series of classes in film set training at MCC's Workforce Education Center.

Leading classes was Hollywood producer Jeffrey Stott, who has partnered with Rob Reiner (director of "When Harry Met Sally") on his films.

Roughly 39 students took the classes in Flint and TicTock, which has offices in Michigan and California, helps students look for jobs afterwards.

TicTock's courses are for people who want to be production assistants or do grip and electrical work -- compared to the technician jobs the new MCC facility will train students for.

"With the film industry starting to boom in Michigan, we should have a trained crew so when production companies come to the state, there are enough people to work on the films," said Dori DePree, head of education outreach at TicTock. "They will look locally if the crew is here."

She said tax rebates are highest for companies that hire local staff.

And the state continues to seduce the film industry -- which spent about $126 million in Michigan in 2008 after the state began offering tax rebates of up to 42 percent on homegrown feature films and TV shows.

That compares to less than $4 million spent in 2007.

DePree pointed to states such as New Mexico and Louisiana that have offered similar tax breaks for more than five years and that reap billions of dollars from production companies.

"We hope the same thing can happen in Michigan," she said.

Scott Schlanhart, who plans to start school at Mott Community College in the fall and pursue some kind of job in the film industry, lauded the college for building an entertainment technology facility.

The Grand Blanc resident, 36, lived in Los Angeles for 10 years and is pursuing a new career after being laid off from a Flint car dealership.

He said an academic curriculum would likely be more beneficial to students than just a few courses.

"I think it's created high demand," he said of the state's new tax incentives to the film industry. "This is a growing industry in the state and people want to be the first to get in."

Old Posted Jun 30, 2009, 7:53 AM

This is unbelievable. So much good news for flint, and in the middle of a damn recession too!

Old Posted Jul 28, 2009, 2:09 AM

From 2 weeks ago:

Still haven't been to Blackstones, but it seems to be doing well.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest