HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Food & Dining

Old Posted Jan 8, 2011, 11:01 PM

Hapa Izakaya poised for another opener

Hapa Izakaya poised for another opener

By MIA STAINSBY 7 JAN 2011 COMMENTS(1) WORD OF MOUTH

This is a press release from the folks at Hapa Izakaya and their plans for their first upscale number, in the former Metro Restaurant and Lounge setting:

Hapa Izakaya Restaurant Group to Open Hapa Umi by March 2011

(Vancouver, BC) January 7, 2010 – Lea and Justin Ault of Vancouver’s hip Hapa Izakaya restaurant group will open a new restaurant, Hapa Umi, by early March 2011. Construction is already under way at 200 Burrard, at the former Metro Restaurant & Lounge location, across the street from the Vancouver Convention Centre.

Umi means ocean in Japanese, and with the restaurant’s prime downtown waterfront location the Aults seized the opportunity to launch a concept they’ve been developing for some time.

“Hapa Umi will offer a more sophisticated and upscale version of the Hapa Izakaya experience with a sustainable seafood forward menu, sushi bar, and more refined service standards.”

Leading the kitchen brigade will be long-time Hapa chef Tomoki Yamasaki. He’ll be joined by new recruit Tetsuya Shimizu, a kaiseki trained chef who was most recently sous chef at Blue Water Cafe's raw bar. At the front of the house, Justin will be joined by recently appointed general manager, Kevin Banno. Kevin brings a wealth of experience from his tenure as a general manager in the Cactus Club Café organization; he was most recently their Yaletown GM.

http://communities.canada.com/vancou...er-opener.aspx

Old Posted Apr 6, 2011, 8:37 PM

Not sure when this opened, but it is now definitly open. Was at Waterfront Centre today, it looked pretty busy for lunch.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2011, 4:09 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

They opened about a month ago now, still haven't been but it's on my list, hopefully before the end of the month. I'm a little disappointed by the lack of a menu on their website. I know they're going to be more upscale but it would be to see what they're selling and what it costs.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2011, 4:16 AM

is it hidden inside a building? i've been down that area so many times and I can't see it - is it near the tim hortons? the only thing opposite the convention centre is the new fairmont and BC ferries

Old Posted Apr 7, 2011, 4:29 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

It's were Metro was. Of course they failed because people couldn't find them.
If you were to walk into Waterfront Centre via the Burrard and Cordova entrance you would walk across the lobby and instead of going down into the food court you would take the stairs up half a flight and it's right there. It's also accessible from the breezeway at streetlevel between Waterfront Centre and the Fairmont Waterfront.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2011, 5:16 AM

The dreaded colonnade at work!

Old Posted Apr 10, 2011, 4:32 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Went to Hapa Umi on Friday, it was okay but not sure I'll go back, at least not often. Guess I was just hoping more for of a Hapa Izakaya experience but just a touch more upscale. The place has a relatively small choice of small plates and seems to be geared more towards entrees. Nothing wrong with that, just not what I was expecting. Food was pretty good, dessert not so much, service was mediocre though. Didn't help that the place was over half empty and yet the hostess seemed didn't seem to know where she could sit us. Only one more couple came in during our time there so it wasn't like there were a large amount of reservations. Kitchen staff appear Japanese but none of the front of house were.
All in all I'd recommend giving it a shot, like I said the food itself was good, just disappointed because it wasn't what I was expecting. Hopefully they can update their website to include a menu so others know what to expect. Personally I prefer Miku given they seem to be chasing the same market.

Last edited by jlousa; Apr 10, 2011 at 8:07 PM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Food & Dining