HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 17, 2006, 8:28 PM

Gijón, Spain development

Gijón is a city of about 300.000 on the north coast of Spain in Asturias (http://www.gijon.es). Traditionally based on heavy industry and port activity, in the past few years tourism has become an important part of the economy. Recently, the city has started a massive project to reclaim land presently occupied by railroads which cut the city in two. The finished project will bring at least six towers, a covered gallery (with shops), extensive parks and commercial structures to land which is now wasted and will change the city radically. The architect is Jeronimo Junquera, who won the public competition from 3 other plans.

The following publication details the plan (in Spanish):
http://docs.ayto-gijon.es/Documentos...6-03-Marzo.pdf
Here are some shots from that publication:

View from the harbor showing six planned towers. Five are residential and the shortest one is a hotel. I live next to the planned short one!

View from the west, including the new station in the center ground, which will be a building covered by trees and gardens:

This is the present view, showing how the tracks and highway bisect the city forming a barrier between neighborhoods:

Schematic:

There's not much information on the web about this, but I'll try to keep it updated. Since I live very close, I'll take some photos of how the area is presently to give an idea of the scale of the scheme.

Last edited by Laurencio; Mar 17, 2006 at 8:41 PM.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2006, 3:45 AM
Posh

Look nice.

But I have to say, I've never heard of this city until now.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2006, 10:28 PM

Thanks for sharing this stuff. We need more threads on cities like this.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2006, 7:15 PM

First tower design released

The design for the first tower has been released, a twenty-five floor five star hotel. The height of this building has been significantly increased from the original proposal. Construction is to start in 2007 as soon as the rail system underneath is complete. Architect: Alejandro Zaera.

Link to article: http://www.elcomerciodigital.com/pre..._20060810.html

Images courtesy of El Comercio

Last edited by Laurencio; Sep 13, 2006 at 7:23 PM.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2021, 2:59 PM

Alguna actualizacion? Thanks!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations