HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted May 3, 2014, 1:38 AM
ARTchitecture

Renting in Calgary

So I'm looking for a new place starting next month, my budget is basically a max of $600 and obviously I realize I can't rent an entire place for that, so pretty much just looking for a bedroom. The stipulation is that it has to be near LRT and/or served by major bus routes, or be in the inner city. Any suggestions on where/how to look?

Though this would be a good idea for a thread regardless, since so much new rental stock is being proposed and constructed, it may also help other people who aren't really in-the-know about this kinda stuff.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted May 3, 2014, 2:01 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
So I'm looking for a new place starting next month, my budget is basically a max of $600 and obviously I realize I can't rent an entire place for that, so pretty much just looking for a bedroom. The stipulation is that it has to be near LRT and/or served by major bus routes, or be in the inner city. Any suggestions on where/how to look?

Though this would be a good idea for a thread regardless, since so much new rental stock is being proposed and constructed, it may also help other people who aren't really in-the-know about this kinda stuff.
Clearly you need a place in the beltline.

Old Posted May 3, 2014, 2:18 AM

rentfaster.ca and padmapper.com are the two sites worth checking. Padmapper aggregates kijiji, craigslist, etc.

Old Posted May 4, 2014, 10:38 PM
ARTchitecture

Thanks for the suggestions guys! Turns out the mister actually asked me to move in with him So I guess that worked out super well. I'll be a new resident of Tuxedo soon

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted May 4, 2014, 10:47 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions guys! Turns out the mister actually asked me to move in with him So I guess that worked out super well. I'll be a new resident of Tuxedo soon
congrats! and welcome to the (inner city) NE

Old Posted May 5, 2014, 7:39 AM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIGS View Post
congrats! and welcome to the (inner city) NE
Thanks! We're actually in the NW though, just between 3rd and 4th streets!

Old Posted May 5, 2014, 2:37 PM
YIMBY

Quote:
Thanks! We're actually in the NW though, just between 3rd and 4th streets!
So actually Mount Pleasant? Tuxedo is 2nd St NW to Edmonton Tr [Google Maps]

Welcome to the hood! You should join the PTLU committee, we need more people!

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own not those of any affiliated organizations.

Old Posted May 5, 2014, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Funny - I am in the process of buying a place and my roommate will need someone to take my place potentially ... It's $600/mo and is also in Tuxedo (great location)

Congrats though, that's awesome bud

Old Posted May 5, 2014, 8:31 PM
ARTchitecture

Yeah that's the type of development I figured. Has anyone ever been to 4th Spot on 4th Street? Their sandwiches are friggin excellent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.E.Pennypacker View Post
Funny - I am in the process of buying a place and my roommate will need someone to take my place potentially ... It's $600/mo and is also in Tuxedo (great location)

Congrats though, that's awesome bud
Oh shit! Well thank you for the suggestion!

It works out pretty well. It will likely end up with a monthly rent reduction from my current, by about $200 So that will really help me out a lot with saving for school and stuff.

Old Posted May 5, 2014, 7:30 AM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Welcome to the hood!

Old Posted May 5, 2014, 5:49 PM
ARTchitecture

Haha well, a 1.5 block difference Thanks for the welcome.

Also, sorry for creating this thread. Seems kinda selfish that I made it, but I hoped it could be used to discuss the rental situation city wide...

What's a PTLU committee?

Old Posted May 5, 2014, 6:53 PM
YIMBY

Quote:

Also, sorry for creating this thread. Seems kinda selfish that I made it, but I hoped it could be used to discuss the rental situation city wide...

What's a PTLU committee?
Planning, Transportation, and Land Use Committee, our version of the Beltline Planning Group. We review Development Permits, etc. and provide community feedback to the city.

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own not those of any affiliated organizations.

Old Posted May 5, 2014, 8:05 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:

What's a PTLU committee?
that's ok, I'm 5 houses west of 2nd st so also Mt Pleasant, but I find most of the activity is towards centre so I also feel like part of Tuxedo.

Old Posted May 5, 2014, 8:58 PM
YIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
that's ok, I'm 5 houses west of 2nd st so also Mt Pleasant, but I find most of the activity is towards centre so I also feel like part of Tuxedo.
The east side of 4th definitely feels more Centre st focused.

Old Posted May 5, 2014, 7:02 PM
ARTchitecture

Oh cool. Is there a lot of development potential in the area? Or is this group more focussed towards redeveloping delapidated homes into new homes, rather than multi family? I've never noticed much multi family going on in that area.

Old Posted May 5, 2014, 7:32 PM
YIMBY

Quote:
Oh cool. Is there a lot of development potential in the area? Or is this group more focussed towards redeveloping delapidated homes into new homes, rather than multi family? I've never noticed much multi family going on in that area.
Primarily detached and semidetached SFH though there is some row/townhouse type development.

Old Posted May 5, 2014, 8:40 PM

Got a notice yesterday that the rent in my apartment is going up by $50/ month in 3 months, that means $1310 for a 700sqft apartment in the West Beltline (including parking). As much as that seems expensive, I bet it would be at least $100/month more if I weren't already living there...

Old Posted May 5, 2014, 8:45 PM
Majestic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Got a notice yesterday that the rent in my apartment is going up by $50/ month in 3 months, that means $1310 for a 700sqft apartment in the West Beltline (including parking). As much as that seems expensive, I bet it would be at least $100/month more if I weren't already living there...
I got a notice a few months ago that the rent in my unit would be going up a similar amount, which works out to $1065/mo for 600sqft in Lower Mount Royal (parking included as well). However, I'll be vacating the unit in September (when my one-year lease expires) as I'll be back with the parents until mid-late 2016 when my Beltline condo is finished.

Flickr

Old Posted May 5, 2014, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Oh shit! Well thank you for the suggestion!

It works out pretty well. It will likely end up with a monthly rent reduction from my current, by about $200 So that will really help me out a lot with saving for school and stuff.
No problem, hope things work out well with the new situation .. I can vouch for Tuxedo (and area) as a great place to live .. So much that I purchased nearby in Winston Heights so I can stay in the area

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Very true - if it makes you feel better my girlfriend is paying $1,350 per month for a slightly larger 1 bedroom unit (with parking as well) in effing Rocky Ridge .. Needless to say she'll be enjoying some lower living costs sharing with me when we move in together

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy