HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 28, 2018, 3:43 AM
somewhere in-between

Quote:
Originally Posted by mville1 View Post
Harrisburg University pares back tower plan, construction still expected to exceed $100M

By Jason Scott

Even though the project got scaled back, this development will still have a significant economic impact on the city and the region. Additionally, an 18 to 25 story building at this location will still make a sizable impact on the skyline. Here is to hoping funding can be secured by the end of next spring

http://www.cpbj.com/article/20180927...to-exceed-100m
Thanks for that update. It went quiet for a while. Bummer about the height reduction.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2018, 1:51 PM
Man on a mission

Quote:
Originally Posted by deja vu View Post
Thanks for that update. It went quiet for a while. Bummer about the height reduction.
It is a bummer on the height. Hoping it will be closer to 25. Still excited that a parking lot and beat up old buildings will be turned into a $100M building.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2018, 1:54 PM
Man on a mission

Not as exciting as a new tower, but interesting none the less. I wasn't aware that the 83 master plan included a new bridge. Hoping I can get to the open house on the project.

PennDOT plans next phase of I-83 widening project

https://www.abc27.com/news/local/har...030/1478448527

Last edited by Young Gun; Sep 28, 2018 at 2:17 PM.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2018, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Gun View Post
It is a bummer on the height. Hoping it will be closer to 25. Still excited that a parking lot and beat up old buildings will be turned into a $100M building.
What was the original height?

But you're right... at least it is a new building.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 2:39 PM
Man on a mission

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Best Forumer View Post
What was the original height?

But you're right... at least it is a new building.
Memory serves correct about 400. About a 1/3 taller than 333 Market the current tallest

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 2:41 PM
Man on a mission

Quote:
Harrisburg’s plan to return much of N. 2nd Street to two-way traffic is picking up speed, as the city has scheduled a public meeting next week on the proposed project.
https://theburgnews.com/news/second-...mXt_r4oYGg75No

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 9:50 PM
Me?!?

/\
I was wondering about that, thanks for the update. Some other interesting things in the article:
  • After many delays, largely due to inclement weather, the 3rd Street corridor project is getting back on track, he said. Expect work to continue through next year.
    *I wasn't familiar and found this: http://www.jmt.com/project-portfolio...evitalization/
  • Next year, the city will begin a two-year, $2 million project to repave many of the roads in South Harrisburg. Next month, City Council is expected to pass an ordinance that would authorize a revenue note for the project.
  • The city expects to announce its “rapid response” improvements to State Street, as per its Vision Zero initiative. These changes may include lane reductions and a sheltered bike lane, with work expected next year, Papenfuse said.
  • Harrisburg will begin work repaving the lower river walk following the Harrisburg Marathon, which takes place Nov. 11. However, most of the extensive repaving project will take place in 2019, which will limit access to the popular walking, biking and running path next summer.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2018, 4:53 AM
Me?!?

19 stories, I am hearing now 12...can I get an 8? Oh, Harrisburg, you never fail to disappoint ha ha

https://www.pennlive.com/news/2018/1...ets-sized.html

Old Posted Dec 28, 2018, 5:20 AM

^ I'll echo an 8 and please put their feet to the fire as in their minds they'd be happy at building a 6 story flat with just "tiny" ground floor retail. Sorry EastSideHBG the mind set of developers-sounds like some of the stuff we see around here in Sacramento although its getting better lately.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2018, 5:35 AM
Me?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastleScott View Post
^ I'll echo an 8 and please put their feet to the fire as in their minds they'd be happy at building a 6 story flat with just "tiny" ground floor retail. Sorry EastSideHBG the mind set of developers-sounds like some of the stuff we see around here in Sacramento although its getting better lately.
Good to hear that it is getting better! I am not always into height either (DC is one of my favorite cities) but Harrisburg has seen too many great projects get scaled way back or dry up and I hate seeing it yet again.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 1:50 PM

I saw this a while ago, But I never saw the plans. Here is the PDF for the study for the Division Street Bridge in Harrisburg.

https://www.visionzerohbg.org/files/...1_Plan-opt.pdf

Old Posted Jan 5, 2019, 5:14 PM
Me?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerdman View Post
I saw this a while ago, But I never saw the plans. Here is the PDF for the study for the Division Street Bridge in Harrisburg.

https://www.visionzerohbg.org/files/...1_Plan-opt.pdf
That's interesting and what is the backstory behind this? Interesting that it's two proposals for vehicles and one for just pedestrians. I think that a vehicular one would make a lot of sense and I like the roundabout idea (I am a fan but I know that many people aren't) but not sure how I feel about chopping into the wilderness around there, it's actually quite beautiful and unique...Wildwood Park is still one of my favorites in the country.

Not development related but wanted to share that Midtown HBG is getting some attention down here in Philly:

https://6abc.com/food/explore-the-4-...rhood/5017005/

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 5:33 PM
Man on a mission

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideHBG View Post
That's interesting and what is the backstory behind this? Interesting that it's two proposals for vehicles and one for just pedestrians. I think that a vehicular one would make a lot of sense and I like the roundabout idea (I am a fan but I know that many people aren't) but not sure how I feel about chopping into the wilderness around there, it's actually quite beautiful and unique...Wildwood Park is still one of my favorites in the country.

Not development related but wanted to share that Midtown HBG is getting some attention down here in Philly:

https://6abc.com/food/explore-the-4-...rhood/5017005/
The background behind this is making 2nd Street 2 ways north of Forrester. It will displace cars, the city would like to use the industrial corridor of 7th street to transport cars North out of the city, outside of residential streets. I am definitely in favor of an Industrial drive bridge. I think it will help revitalize that end of the city. I think the connection to HACC will help create demand for housing in Uptown Plaza area. -> People bring need for services like small shops and restaurants.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 5:38 PM
Man on a mission

Quote:
Good to hear that it is getting better! I am not always into height either (DC is one of my favorite cities) but Harrisburg has seen too many great projects get scaled way back or dry up and I hate seeing it yet again.
I would have loved to see a city tallest, but I'll take 19 stories replacing a Vartan lot.

I think the scaling back is going to be the norm until downtown residential raises rates another 10-20% There are still a few old office buildings to be had at a discount for residential conversion.

BUUUT, lets keep using up underutilized spaces, a boom may come, but nature of our local economy (the state is still one of the largest employers) will likely mean demand will only see steady incremental growth.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 5:42 PM
Man on a mission

Quote:
As part of a decade-long effort to improve Interstate 83, Pennsylvania Department of Transportation engineers are looking at widening the highway to 12 lanes -- adding three in each direction -- between Paxton Street and Second Street.
https://www.pennlive.com/news/2019/0...ns-differ.html

It is interesting in the post Reed era how much the attitude to what makes a healthy vibrant city has changed. I agree that we don't need 12 lanes, but it is necessary to solve the 19th street bottleneck, 13th street should have never been consider for an interstate exit (its in the middle of a neighborhood that can't support the traffic)

Old Posted Jan 12, 2019, 7:26 PM
Me?!?

Quote:
The background behind this is making 2nd Street 2 ways north of Forrester. It will displace cars, the city would like to use the industrial corridor of 7th street to transport cars North out of the city, outside of residential streets. I am definitely in favor of an Industrial drive bridge. I think it will help revitalize that end of the city. I think the connection to HACC will help create demand for housing in Uptown Plaza area. -> People bring need for services like small shops and restaurants.
Ah okay thank you, I didn't even think of the 2nd St. tie in. I agree, that part of the city is popular at various times throughout the year and needs more ways to get in/out.

Quote:
I would have loved to see a city tallest, but I'll take 19 stories replacing a Vartan lot.

I think the scaling back is going to be the norm until downtown residential raises rates another 10-20% There are still a few old office buildings to be had at a discount for residential conversion.

BUUUT, lets keep using up underutilized spaces, a boom may come, but nature of our local economy (the state is still one of the largest employers) will likely mean demand will only see steady incremental growth.
Is it still 19 stories or 12 now?

Quote:
https://www.pennlive.com/news/2019/0...ns-differ.html

It is interesting in the post Reed era how much the attitude to what makes a healthy vibrant city has changed. I agree that we don't need 12 lanes, but it is necessary to solve the 19th street bottleneck, 13th street should have never been consider for an interstate exit (its in the middle of a neighborhood that can't support the traffic)
HBG is behind the times on this, studies have shown that more lanes don't do much. The infrastructure needs work for sure and I am not against expansion but public transit should the priority, it is woefully inadequate for a NE city. Also, HBG's highway network is pretty good when you look at the layout and it can take you wherever you need to go.

And check this out:

I-81 could grow to a 6-lane highway with years of work + $2.9 billion, PennDOT says
https://www.pennlive.com/news/2019/0...gn=pennlive_sf

Old Posted Jan 13, 2019, 9:22 AM
Man on a mission

Quote:
Ah okay thank you, I didn't even think of the 2nd St. tie in. I agree, that part of the city is popular at various times throughout the year and needs more ways to get in/out.

Is it still 19 stories or 12 now?

HBG is behind the times on this, studies have shown that more lanes don't do much. The infrastructure needs work for sure and I am not against expansion but public transit should the priority, it is woefully inadequate for a NE city. Also, HBG's highway network is pretty good when you look at the layout and it can take you wherever you need to go.

And check this out:

I-81 could grow to a 6-lane highway with years of work + $2.9 billion, PennDOT says
https://www.pennlive.com/news/2019/0...gn=pennlive_sf
I'm torn... A major industry in the region is transportation. Its topping out now because of lack of people and congested roads.

Also, something must be done about the design of 81 it kills so many people because of the open median.

You are right that Harrisburg is slow to come around to modern urban design. It is a side effect of the excessive rain of Mayor Reed. he had a suburban mindset and did not mind tearing down huge swathes of the city. So much so that there are still many of the city who think that shrinking roads is a bad thing. And the suburbs think it is close to being a heretic.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 5:18 PM

Removed Comment.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 6:05 PM
Man on a mission

Quote:
Two summers ago, Harrisburg became a far more colorful city, as 18 murals sprung up in the downtown and Midtown neighborhoods.

Now, the group responsible for this surge of large scale, outdoor art is planning a repeat performance, as Sprocket Mural Works has begun organizing the 2019 HBG Mural Fest.

They painted one on a building I owned back in 2017. Can't wait to see what is in store this time around.

https://theburgnews.com/news/more-mu...or-late-summer

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 6:11 PM
Man on a mission

Gross design, underutilized location. Guests would have a great view of HBG skyline/fireworks...

Quote:
Developer eyeing hotel, restaurant, office project in Lemoyne
http://www.cpbj.com/article/20190206...ect-in-lemoyne

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations