HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Feb 24, 2012, 6:56 PM
Traveller Extraodinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFUVancouver View Post
I don't think that it should be excluded just because it skews the numbers. We don't exclude million-plus dollar houses and penthouses when calculating the average cost of housing, nor do we exclude 100% off-limits land like watersheds when calculating our region's density. It is embarrassing that Surrey has had the Asian Centre sit empty for so long but it's a fact.
Very true, but it also isn't the city's fault. It is solely the fault of the owner of the building who has refused to do anything with it or to even attract any tenants. From what I have read in the past (Correct me if I am mistaken), the owner is based in Phoenix and has been known to be incredibly hard to deal with. I honestly think, though a shame it might be, that it should be torn down and sold to make way for more high density housing or even a mixed use development.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2012, 3:52 PM

Yes I think that is why it gets excluded. If it was any other tenant it would have been full 10 years ago. But the previous owners and the current owner are very very very very very picky and from what I have heard, nearly impossible to deal with or sign a contract with. Fraser Health was the last and they at the end walked away because of the pure difficulty.

I think they've tried to land dozens of large tenants and with that reputation unless the building is sold to someone new I have my doubts it will get filled. If a business is interested in moving in the first thing they will do is ask everyone who has tried in the past what their opinion is then after that go "forget it!"

Old Posted Feb 26, 2012, 1:35 AM
Vancouver Moderator

It's too bad, it's a handsome building. It would be good for a university / college campus.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 8:54 PM

The "Connect", on the corner of 132nd and Old Yale Road, opened their presentation centre this week.

They are advertising 0% down and studio/dens from 118k! I haven't seen too much activity at their presentation centre (I live in the Fuse across the street), but hopefully it'll pick up... We were very glad to see the 5 old abandoned homes disappear a few months back!

http://www.connectliving.ca/

I also noticed that the Rize's presentation centre is coming along nicely... They're working hard on it, it'll be much more than a portable trailer. They're building it like a permanent structure with full foundation and everything.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2012, 4:57 PM

news on the 54 storey tower for central at civic surrey

http://www.civicsurrey.com/2012/03/1...edium=facebook

apparently the developing company it is moving its head office into the building

Old Posted Mar 12, 2012, 8:19 PM
Traveller Extraodinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalleyboy View Post
news on the 54 storey tower for central at civic surrey

http://www.civicsurrey.com/2012/03/1...edium=facebook

apparently the developing company it is moving its head office into the building
Their business website say 55-storeys. That is one whole floor more!

http://www.cotterarchitects.com/#/projects

Old Posted Mar 12, 2012, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Ironically, the development itself does not seem to include a commercial component. The project will be composed of a 54-storey residential tower, along with a 160 room hotel and ground level restaurant.
...what?

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 9:58 PM

Early renders of the area showed two buildings instead of one:

(from http://www.civicsurrey.com/2012/01/1...ity-hall-soon/)

In addition, the initial proposal for this project mentioned commercial and retail space. So I imagine that, if the original plans still hold, the commercial component will go in the smaller building next to the high rise. Though it is also possibly that they just axed the commercial aspect altogether.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2012, 7:57 PM

Wave by Rize

Rize has opened a display unit INSIDE Central City mall! They have 3 actors living in there, and people can sit and watch them living in a real-size 2 bedroom and den unit! There are two girls who are doing Yoga most of the time, and a guy... It's an interesting concept...

They are streaming it live on their website.
http://www.waveliving.ca/

Many of the walls in the unit are sliding walls that can be opened or closed to make certain areas bigger. It's quite unique! I think it's time that this project gets it's own website too....

Old Posted Mar 27, 2012, 8:07 PM

Two bedroom and den in 615 sq ft?!?!

Old Posted Mar 27, 2012, 11:32 PM

It sounds like an interesting idea... but I can't imaging a more personal hell for myself. Stuck going through my daily routine while total strangers watch and observe? With utterly zero privacy at all?

Hell. No.

All that being said, it's a nifty idea and I wish them the best for it. It's certainly a unique form of promotion.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2012, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Two bedroom and den in 615 sq ft?!?!
Yeah, but with only 1 bathroom. Still, very cramped.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 2:05 AM

The presentation centre is located right next to the Tim Hortons and given the lineups, there will always be an audience. I was there this afternoon. I have to say that the prices were very impressive, and it seemed bigger than 615 sqft. But maybe with all the glass walls, it makes the space look bigger?

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memememe76 View Post
The presentation centre is located right next to the Tim Hortons and given the lineups, there will always be an audience. I was there this afternoon. I have to say that the prices were very impressive, and it seemed bigger than 615 sqft. But maybe with all the glass walls, it makes the space look bigger?
prices?

Old Posted May 6, 2012, 2:15 AM

so development of rice world at the corner of 140th street and 104 ave is moving along
its in the upcoming city council meeting big building with street facing retail stores along 104 ave
I like the thought of keep separated retail along 104 ave and also having quibble creek green way built into it
for anyone interested in reading about it
http://www.surrey.ca/bylawsandcounci...10-0193-00.pdf

heres some photos
full view

view along 104 ave

Old Posted May 6, 2012, 3:33 AM

Question for Peeps In The Know (tm) here:

Are there any 3 bedroom plans currently under development in any of the proposed towers in Surrey? Yeah, there are the townhouses at the base of the buildings (Wave, Ultra, etc.), but are there any units in the towers themselves?

The closes I've seen is the 2 bedroom + den in Wave, which is nice but not exactly what I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance.

Old Posted May 6, 2012, 6:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryHolmes View Post

Are there any 3 bedroom plans currently under development in any of the proposed towers in Surrey? Yeah, there are the townhouses at the base of the buildings (Wave, Ultra, etc.), but are there any units in the towers themselves?

The closes I've seen is the 2 bedroom + den in Wave, which is nice but not exactly what I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance.
Not that I'm aware of. Paul from CivicSurrey may know a bit more from some of the projects not yet "released to the public" like the Park Avenue development from Concord or that 46 storey tower behind. But I haven't heard anything on the 3 bedroom front outside of ground level townhouses.

I too am looking for something in the 3 bedroom range in central Surrey. My girlfriend works downtown right next to Waterfront Station so living right along the SkyTrain line is ideal and seeing as I work South of the Fraser with no transit option to my work (no reasonable transit option) we want to stick SoF. Basically means we need to live in and around the 3 main stations here since I won't live around Scott Road as I dislike the neighborhood and it feels like living in an industrial wasteland.

But so far everyone I've talked to only says "In the townhouses sure" and the biggest is like you said, 2 bedrooms + a den. Closest may be penthouse suites in a few of the towers but $$$$$.

Old Posted May 6, 2012, 8:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryHolmes View Post

Thanks in advance.
As jhausner said, I don't believe there are any 3 bedroom units currently planned/under construction, but Access (adjacent to Gateway station) is one of the nicer buildings in the area and has a couple for sale: http://www.condosurrey.com/access-10...parkway-surrey

Old Posted May 6, 2012, 4:29 PM

Here's a new development on Fraser Highway within walking distance to King George Skytrain http://www.surrey.ca/bylawsandcounci...11-0228-00.pdf

Old Posted May 7, 2012, 3:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalleyboy View Post
so development of rice world at the corner of 140th street and 104 ave is moving along
its in the upcoming city council meeting big building with street facing retail stores along 104 ave
I like the thought of keep separated retail along 104 ave and also having quibble creek green way built into it
for anyone interested in reading about it
http://www.surrey.ca/bylawsandcounci...10-0193-00.pdf

heres some photos
full view

view along 104 ave
Actual streetfront retail along 104th? Wow. I think overall it's still kind of strip-mall-ish, but by Surrey standards this looks like a surprisingly good project.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley