HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
It was a sad day when St Hubert pulled out of Ontario and closed their Toronto locations. My grocery store occasionally teases me by stocking St Hubert's branded slaw.
They didn't 100% pull out of Ontario. There are still locations in Ottawa and Cornwall.

I remember when we once had one in Timmins but it didn't last long. We now have to go to Rouyn-Noranda. I do buy their coleslaw and sauces at the grocery store.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 12:44 AM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Happily St Huberts has a presence in NB (Moncton, Bathurst, Fredericton & Edmundston).
St Hubert tried and failed in the SJ market. Their radio ads had the restaurant name pronounced Saint Hewbert and it was obvious they were trying to avoid the French pronunciation as much as possible. It was awkward.

How could you possibly not mention Dixie Lee? It's the Acadien KFC.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 12:55 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Of course!! - Moncton has a Dixie Lee and three KFCs too.

Add that to the aforementioned Swiss Chalet, St Hubert & Mary Brown locations and its clear that any chicken within 50 km of Moncton is in imminent danger of losing it's feathers!!!

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 1:14 AM

Freddy is a similar Chicken Dangerzone.

We have Dixie Lee on the north side (and up in Woodstock), 2 Standalone KFCs (plus 1 in Woodstock), a mall KFC, Swiss Chalet and St Hubert. And they all seem to be doing decently.

I'm pretty sure Dixie Lee predates all but maybe 1 or 2 of the KFCs.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 2:27 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proof Sheet View Post
Brand dilution is never a winning concept.
Artisanal olive oil and gourmet cupcakes, all the way. Else you risk the Bari shopping mall crisis.

gino vanelli's underwear

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 2:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
St Hubert tried and failed in the SJ market. Their radio ads had the restaurant name pronounced Saint Hewbert and it was obvious they were trying to avoid the French pronunciation as much as possible. It was awkward.

St. Hubert used that bastardized pronunciation in Southern Ontario too...

Video Link

Dixie Lee also has a limited presence in Eastern and Northern Ontario (their corporate headquarters, at least as of three years ago, were in a rundown house in Downtown Kingston). Here's a commercial they aired in Kingston in the 80s (starting at 1:28).

Video Link

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 2:48 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
Are you sure it was that and not Poulet Chester? There still are a couple of dépanneurs in Abitibi-Témiscamingue that are selling Chester Chicken. We can still get it in Timmins.
Oh, that could be. Now you are making me doubt! I'll have to check.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 2:50 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Ask my family - whenever we plan a trip to the Maritimes, what I talk about the most isn't Parlee Beach, or the Cabot Trail or Louisbourg, but battered clams and fries at Dixie Lee!

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 5:32 AM

all this talk about chicken, did anyone try the swiss chalet fried chicken?

There are so few swiss chalets in vancouver, the only one in the city of has shut down recently. There are still a few in other cities in the LM.

How about Nandos? how widespread across Canada are they? quite a few in the Vancouver area.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
all this talk about chicken, did anyone try the swiss chalet fried chicken?

There are so few swiss chalets in vancouver, the only one in the city of has shut down recently. There are still a few in other cities in the LM.

How about Nandos? how widespread across Canada are they? quite a few in the Vancouver area.
I love Nando's! Been a fan since I discovered them (and peri-peri) while living in Cape Town, years ago. After a false start a few years back, they seem to have made a decent comeback here in Ottawa.

Haven't tried the Swiss Chalet fried chicken - fried chicken is something I get a strong craving for every two or three years, don't know why. The only way I'd eat it from any of the chains would be to take it home and set it on a pad of paper towels in the oven to try to draw some of the grease out!

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 1:21 PM
sick transit, gloria

Nando's is pretty good! The locations in central Toronto seem a bit upscale in decor which is interesting, but certainly caters to the lunch crowd in my work area. My friends who have lived in the UK regarded it more as late night drunk food which does not seem to be market they are aiming for here at all. I haven't been to any in the suburbs though. The one's I saw in SA ranged from almost as fancy to more bare bones fast food depending on the area.

I can't imagine eating fried chicken at any chain anymore considering all the other options that exist now. Including good quality takeout at a similar price point to the chains.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 1:21 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Swiss chalet is a bastardized rip-off of Chalet BBQ in Montreal (Sherbrooke Street West, at Girouard). A split in ownership lead to its creation. There are no substitutes. Swiss Chalet is an extremely mediocre product next to the real deal at Chalet BBQ. This is the best:http://www.chaletbbq.com/

Tracking down Montreal's greatest culinary creation (IMO):
http://nationalpost.com/life/an-ill-...1-0098c988e52c

World's greatest Montreal-style Rotisserie Chicken.

flikr

Way better than St. Hub

tripadvisor

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Swiss chalet is a bastardized rip-off of Chalet BBQ in Montreal (Sherbrooke Street West, at Girouard). A split in ownership lead to its creation. There are no substitutes. Swiss Chalet is an extremely mediocre product next to the real deal at Chalet BBQ. This is the best:http://www.chaletbbq.com/

Tracking down Montreal's greatest culinary creation (IMO):
http://nationalpost.com/life/an-ill-...1-0098c988e52c

World's greatest Montreal-style Rotisserie Chicken.

flikr

Way better than St. Hub

tripadvisor
Does Chalet BBQ's dipping sauce taste like Swiss Chalet's? That stuff is vile!

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 6:15 PM

It would be interesting to read more about Montreal's food history. I get the idea that their greasy spoons and Restos provide am much deeper history than what is present here in Toronto. That Chalet BBQ is right up my ally. I prefer simple places like that versus regular restaurants.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 6:34 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by north 42 View Post
Does Chalet BBQ's dipping sauce taste like Swiss Chalet's? That stuff is vile!
I highly doubt that that's the case. Otherwise MolsonEx wouldn't be praising one all the time while slashing the other.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 6:37 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by osmo View Post
It would be interesting to read more about Montreal's food history. I get the idea that their greasy spoons and Restos provide a much deeper history than what is present here in Toronto. .
Not really. Can't be proven.

Signed: SSP Canada

(I'm being annoying lately, aren't I?)

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 8:36 PM

^On the subject of Giant Tiger, it must depend on the location because they have recently gone through a major expansion and renovation project and their renovated stores are nice, clean, easy to shop and offer everything from grocery, household goods and clothing. Much nicer and better service than Wal-Mart. I've also noticed they've moved away from random brands and clearouts to more national brands at same prices or lower than Wal-Mart, No Frills, Food Basics, etc..

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 9:27 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I highly doubt that that's the case. Otherwise MolsonEx wouldn't be praising one all the time while slashing the other.

indeed. there is no comparison. None.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
^On the subject of Giant Tiger, it must depend on the location because they have recently gone through a major expansion and renovation project and their renovated stores are nice, clean, easy to shop and offer everything from grocery, household goods and clothing. Much nicer and better service than Wal-Mart. I've also noticed they've moved away from random brands and clearouts to more national brands at same prices or lower than Wal-Mart, No Frills, Food Basics, etc..

That looks like the Kingston store, it's clean and in good shape, and key - well organized.

It wasn't like the one I remember in London. I can see why ME had an issue with those.

Random fact - a number of Giant Tigers are in former supermarkets. The Kingston one is an old Loblaws, and one of the London ones is an old A&P.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 9:31 PM
The Vomit Bag.

the ones in London are like damaged merchandise clearance marts. decrepit with crappy merchandise.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada