HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion

Old Posted Feb 6, 2008, 6:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezied View Post
me
i think we've found our suspect

Old Posted Feb 6, 2008, 6:22 AM
with glowing hearts

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezied View Post
me
I KNOW WHO HE IS! WHERE HE LIVES! I CAUGHT AND FOUND HIM ALL BY MYSELF!

I WANT MY REWARD NOW!

Old Posted Feb 6, 2008, 7:49 AM

unfortunately for u, i dont have a midterm on wednesday

Old Posted Feb 6, 2008, 7:25 PM
Registered Luser

CKNW just posted this rather inflammatory story:

Quote:
Students at UBC don't appear too concerned with threat
Feb, 06 2008 - 8:40 AM

VANCOUVER/CKNW(AM980) - It appears students at the University of British Columbia aren’t too concerned about the latest threat on campus which has shut down the biological sciences building for the second time in a week.

The building will be closed today, but other classes on campus will go ahead as scheduled.

Most students don’t seem too worried about the threat and only a handful say they’re scared.

“I don’t really understand why someone’s sending out all these threats, they’re just trying to disrupt the school here for no apparent reason it seems like. Not really any big threat.”

“I think it’s really safe, I guess.”

“Are you at all concerned about yourself or your friends?”

“Some of them aren’t coming to class, so.”

“Is that because they’re worried?”

“Yes.”

“Yeah, my sister’s not going to come to school today. She has a class in that building today too.”

Police and university officials won’t say what the threat is, only that they’re taking it very seriously.
The reporter probably feels like they are doing their job, but the tone of the questions seems rather inflammatory to me. An unknown person made an indeterminant threat at some unknown time and with a rather vague description of the place and everyone is supposed to throw themselves into a fit? Excuse me if I don't want to take part in the media's circle jerk of manufactured fear.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2008, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x2 View Post
i really hope this doesn't happen during 2010....imagine if someone called a threat for BC Place on the night of the opening ceremony, i don't know what RCMP would do.

i do hope that these sick bastards are found and locked up.
Dont worry there will be many threats direct and implied. Though you also wont here about them because Vancouver as whole is going to be a special security zone with slightly more militaristic ways of handling threats and security.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2008, 12:12 AM
with glowing hearts

I don't understand what was the point of all this. What is it really worth it?

Student charged over threats
UBC threats in January and February forced some buildings on campus to be evacuated

Vancouver Sun
Published: Monday, March 03, 2008

VANCOUVER - A 19-year-old man has been arrested and charged in connection with a pair of threats made at the University of British Columbia on Jan. 30 and Feb 6, RCMP announced today.

Hwi Lee was arrested on Friday by members of E Division Serious Crime and members of the UBC detachment.

Lee is facing charges of two counts of uttering threats and two counts of mischief. He has been released on a number of conditions, including not to go to UBC and not to possess firearms. He's also had to surrender his passport.

Police confirmed Lee is a student at UBC.

"I know that this arrest will bring relief to a great number of concerned people both directly and indirectly impacted by the threats. Clearly this incident was unsettling for a great number of students, faculty, staff and visitors to the Point Grey campus over the past four weeks," said Assistant Commissioner Peter German.

"Given the uncertainty and public safety concern surrounding these threats - the RCMP treated this investigation with the utmost priority and urgency from the moment we became involved," he added.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2008, 1:11 AM

mentally disturbed

or spoiled rich kid with no power to stand up to his parents who control him

Old Posted Mar 4, 2008, 2:18 AM

told u guys it was a deranged student

Old Posted Mar 4, 2008, 3:23 AM
with glowing hearts

He has basically destroyed his own life right now.....looks like he had too much pressure, or maybe he's the type of kid that took too many courses he could handle. Either way, it's not the end of the world if you don't do that well in one semester...:

Gleneagle grad arrested, charged in UBC scare
UBC threats forced BioSciences building to be locked down

Chad Skelton, Vancouver Sun
Published: Monday, March 03, 2008

VANCOUVER - The 19-year-old University of B.C. student charged with uttering a pair of threats that caused a campus lockdown in late January was "the smartest kid in school" according to one of his high-school classmates.

Hwi Lee was arrested on Friday by members of the "E" Division Serious Crime unit and the UBC detachment, the RCMP announced at a news conference Monday morning.

Lee, a first-year science student at UBC, graduated from Gleneagle Secondary School in Coquitlam.

"He was pretty much the smartest kid in school," said Hanks Wang, a UBC student who attended classes with Lee at Gleneagle.

"He went to a lot of calculus competitions, math competitions and he did really well."

Indeed, published rankings show Lee scored in the top tier of the national Euclid Mathematics Contest in 2005, 2006 and 2007 - landing each year among the top 10 per cent of students in B.C.

Lee also competed in the national Canadian Mathematical Olympiad in 2007.

He also received a $1,000 scholarship from the Vancouver Korean-Canadian Scholarship Foundation.

Wang said Lee, who immigrated to Canada from South Korea, struggled with English when he first arrived at Gleneagle but quickly picked up the language.

"He wasn't really good at English [in] Grade 11, but then he got really good in Grade 12," said Wang. "He learned pretty quickly."

However, even when his language skills improved, said Wang, Lee "wasn't that talkative. He was pretty quiet."

Wang said he was surprised to learn of Lee's alleged involvement in the threats.

"No one had anything against him. He's pretty friendly," said Wang. "I can't believe he would do that."

Lee has been charged with two counts of uttering threats and two counts of mischief. According to police, Lee was released from jail on strict conditions, including not to go to UBC, to surrender his passport and not to possess firearms.

Lee is due to make his next court appearance at Richmond Provincial Court on March 20. At the time the two threats were made, both the RCMP and UBC repeatedly refused to describe the details of the threats, including how they were made, what exactly was threatened and who or what was identified as the target.

On Monday, RCMP Assistant Commissioner Peter German said that decision was key to solving the case.

"Quite frankly, we would not be here today had we released more information at the time," said German.

"There are certain things that we have to keep pretty tight in order to conduct an effective police investigation."

German said those details - including what led police to Lee - still cannot be released, because the case is now before the courts.

Brian Sullivan, UBC's vice-president of students, said that UBC will launch its own internal disciplinary investigation of Lee, which could result in him being expelled from the university.

On Jan. 30, UBC's Biological Sciences Building was locked down for about an hour after UBC received what police described as a "threat to public safety" identifying both the building and a specific deadline.

A second, less-specific threat, was made on Feb. 6, which resulted in all classes at the Biological Sciences Building being cancelled for the day.

Both threats resulted in a large police presence at the university. German said the investigation of the UBC threats consumed a lot of police time, including the re-assignment of many investigators who normally work on violent crimes.

"The major crime unit tends to work homicides and serious sexual investigations," he said. "We've had to hold them back from other investigations to do this one, and certainly that is a concern for us."

cskelton@png.canwest.com

Old Posted Mar 4, 2008, 5:11 AM

no comment *cough* nerd *cough*

Old Posted Mar 4, 2008, 6:22 AM
Registered Loser

gotta feel bad for him, this situation is terrible. his parents probably beat it into him that he had to get 100% in everything and if he wasn't ready for the midterm or something... he got desperate.

let's not forget that he's innocent at the time being.

the kid's a genius and hard worker, it'd be nice if the way he's dealt with didn't take him and his valuable traits right out of society.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2008, 7:25 AM

Is anyone surprised that the guy's Korean? As I've heard, they're supposed to be the most notorious for cultural academic zealotry.

Parents, leave your kids alone.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2008, 8:14 AM
with glowing hearts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutterbug View Post
Is anyone surprised that the guy's Korean? As I've heard, they're supposed to be the most notorious for cultural academic zealotry.

Parents, leave your kids alone.
I have a Korean friend whose parents basically forced him to study everything about physics, chem, and math. He didn't have to study at all in grade 10-12....now that he's in university, he actually has to try.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2008, 8:51 AM

When you're 18 or over and in university, your parents don't have any business telling you what to do, when to go to class or to show them your transcripts. Are things different with the Korean family?

I hate to see all that has unfolded, but can't help to think that the parents got what they deserve, with their kid's academic career destroyed and him bound to go to jail, living forever in disgrace.

Heck, if Joe Whitetrash can give his kids the liberty to party away their youth, and embark on a career as a janitor or construction worker, why can't the Koreans?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion