HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion

View Poll Results: The Vancouver Sun or The Province?
Vancouver Sun 39 79.59%
The Province 10 20.41%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Mar 22, 2007, 4:29 AM
Im smasher000 xD

Vancouver Sun vs Province

Would you rather read the Vancouver Sun or the Province?

I choose the Vancouver Sun - good subject matter and detailed enough

Old Posted Mar 22, 2007, 4:35 AM

both are great, but I see more of the Province so I'd choose them.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2007, 5:04 AM
Site 8 Lives

I vote for the Sun, but I actually like the Province immensely. It does what it does very well (local news and sports), and it's well-read right across B.C. I think both papers are actually pretty good.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2007, 5:10 AM

Province is trash... its written like a tabloid, has amazing sports though.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2007, 5:19 AM

province is easier to read size wise

Old Posted Mar 22, 2007, 6:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
Province is trash... its written like a tabloid, has amazing sports though.
http://www.nashvillepredators.com/pr...?story_id=1285

Old Posted Mar 22, 2007, 6:50 AM

They're both rags and essentially the same paper with different layouts, but I read the Province for sports, amazing sports section.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2007, 6:52 AM
I worship Led Zeppelin

The Sun is better, but it has shifted to the right in recent years. For national news I prefer the Globe.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2007, 5:19 PM
nogames2010

Canada has two newspapers that it is possible to read without being pressured to stab ones eyes out with large pins—and these aren't them. Reading the Vancouver Sun is like listening to a cab-driver rant: parochial local news, western-Canada boosterism, and a large heap of scorn for back east and Quebec. The ads for new condo developments with flashy pictures are actually a bright spot in a paper maliciously lacking in depth. Trees died to show me two pages of high-school basketball pictures.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2007, 6:08 PM
Site 8 Lives

Hi Dorian,
I'm from "back East" also, but I'm more than supportive of giving two pages of coverage to local high school basketball. In fact, I'd like to see MORE coverage of local sports at all levels, whether it's the Vancouver Giants or UBC hockey or Trinity Western b-ball or even Carson Graham football. But I suppose you would write me off as being part of the "boosterism" movement that supposedly plagues the Vancouver Sun.

By the way, what is the other paper (besides the Globe) that you find tolerable?

Old Posted Mar 22, 2007, 7:28 PM
Bridge Walker!

If I had to choose between the two I would take the Sun. I do subscribe to both however and enjoy each one.

Knockin' back on a Saturday morning with a coffee, the radio and the Saturday Sun is my favourite part of the week.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2007, 7:40 PM

Sun

Old Posted Mar 22, 2007, 8:05 PM

I wouldnt go out of my way to read either. Countless times I have read mis-information in both.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2007, 8:29 PM
Hicksville Perspective

Province for a 'quick and dirty' read and great puzzles page Van Sun for a more indepth read when I have the time. Interesting sometimes to read the same subject matter in both rags and compare what the reporter's take on the subject is ... eg. the bozo Willy Picton trial ... Province is more sensationalized vs. Van Sun is more 'factual'.

As an aside, I often read the National Post ... even though it's got the 'requisite' Toronto bias it's still a far more intellectual and articulate read than either The Province or Vancouver Sun.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2007, 11:40 PM
nogames2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Gull View Post
[W]hat is the other paper (besides the Globe) that you find tolerable?
The National Post is the only other paper that doesn't make a liar out of the term newspaper. Like Suncoaster said—articulate, intellectual; sharp columnists are also a feature. I suppose I'm only resentful that there is no newspaper in B.C. that can give a provincewide outlook (much less a national one). The fact that stories are recycled between the Sun and the Victoria Times Colonist doesn't breed much love either.

I think it's worth pointing out that Canwest owns both the Sun and the Province—so the poll is really asking which of Canwest's brands we prefer—parochial or sleazy

Old Posted Mar 23, 2007, 12:20 AM

Both papers are owned by the same company so the idea that they are in "competition" is laughable. Vancouver's newsprint scene was FAR better back in the days when the Province and Sun were 2 competing companies vying for the same customers. Now you get the same message delivered to you in 2 different formats. I wish the once mighty World newspaper was still around. At least then there would be some real competition

Old Posted Mar 23, 2007, 2:05 AM

I dont think anyone was saying they were competing... we were just discussing preference.

And who really cares if they both suck, newspaper is a dying medium anyway, its only good for crosswords and comics if you ask me!

@ Suncoaster: if you want an intellectual read, go for the globe and mail, one of the few decent rags still left out there... still Toronto biased, but much less so than the NP.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2007, 2:08 AM
Im smasher000 xD

This is exactly like Future Shop and Best Buy's "competition".. they pretend to compete when they're really the same company. This is why electronics are so friggen expensive here. They have a monopoly.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2007, 5:51 AM
Hicksville Perspective

Since The Province and Vancouver Sun are owned by the same firm the notion of competition is an oxymoron ... mind you, the staff likely does compete over which reporters will 'score' the biggest cubicle and which reporters will be religated to making the daily Tim Hortons run

Still on the subject .... too damn bad that the Vancouver Sun isn't of the same ilk as the Edmonton, Calgary and Ottawa Sun newpapers ... at least they could claim some good looking ladies as daily 'Sunshine Girls' ... which brings me to the big British newspapers whose daily/weekly gals are oft nude or semi nude ... how we lose out here in the provincial colonies

Old Posted Mar 23, 2007, 6:23 AM

Great sports in the Province, but for other stuff I prefer the Sun. They're not great in the other category (sports in province good), but I haven't found a paper that I agree with completely ever anyways, so the sun is good enough to get me contemplating other sides of news storeys. They should work on their editing though, I've seen many grammar and spelling mistakes, not to mention repeated words, though it's not as bad as some papers. Seems like since the internet became popular there's been a downgrade of grammar and spelling requirments for being published in a newspaper IMO.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion