HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Apr 22, 2008, 6:04 AM

Trevor Boddy column...

Trevor Boddy

SAN ANTONIO'S RIVERWALK
TREVOR BODDY

From Friday's Globe and Mail

April 18, 2008 at 12:00 AM EDT

SAN ANTONIO, Texas — The Lower 48 has few urban experiences to match a sultry evening's stroll along San Antonio's Riverwalk. These waterside pathways attract millions of conventioneers, distraction-seeking locals, vacationing families, and sauntering hipsters because Riverwalk is a secret realm — close, but not part of the rest of downtown.

The first large American city to have a majority Spanish-speaking population, by Southwest standards San Antonio has a lively and healthy downtown, with a particular richness of converted movie palaces and Art Deco buildings. But downtown's heart is set 20 feet lower than sidewalks and cinemas, along a lazy loop of the San Antonio River.

Riverwalk consists of several kilometres of lushly landscaped but quite narrow pedestrian paths lining both sides of loops in the slow-moving river, a creek by B.C. standards. These walkways lack the handrails required in infrastructure-crazy, protection-obsessed Vancouver. Patriarchs of civic virtue in our parks department, alas, would never give waterside permissions for so many demonic restaurants and dastardly drinking establishments as San Antonio.

"River" is a more a concept than a reality here, as it is city tap water flowing within its stone-lined banks, the entire watercourse drained for maintenance every January, and its depth limited to four feet (so those over-imbibing district sales managers from Akron and Athens don't drown when they fall in the drink!). But the power of water to transform urban spaces is ever-evident here. Descending to the water's level on stone steps of various vintages, then arching over the tiny river on Venetian-style small pedestrian bridges, is half the thrill here.

The other half is Riverwalk's continuous string of pulsing bars, restaurants and Tex-Mex cantinas along the pedestrian-only pathway. One end of this walking strip (active lunch through late night) is tied to large convention hotels, the other, quieter, end has such new boutique hostelries as the Valencia Hotel, which features one of the best high-end Mexican restaurants in the United States.

Freed of their cars, Texans and their guests from all over revel in the rare luxury of seeing and being seen outside their automotive armour. The key reason for Riverwalk's success is actually the narrowness of its public space. One can safely gawk, gossip and check out the guys and gals mere yards away on the other bank, framed by mature trees, flowers and shrubbery, empowered by a wonderful combination of being both close and far. In a delimited space, you can get close enough to other human beings to notice décolletage, footwear brands, the curl of a smile — details lost in workaday Wal-Mart parking lots and corporate lobbies.

Like many European squares, it is the continuous definition and enclosure of this urban space that is its attraction. We open-space-loving Canadians need to understand this. One reason Vancouver does not have a zone as fun as this is that we do not have a space as defined and delimited as Riverwalk.

What Vancouver has is the ever-tackier bar strip along Granville Street downtown, a disastrous legacy of one-and-only-one-activity-at-a-time land use planning. In architecture school, one of my teachers used to make satirical cartoons of what our meals would be like if we organized them in the same manner as zoning-obsessed city planners and politicians: April 18 to 25, boiled potatoes; April 26 to May 2, chocolate pudding; May 3 through May 10, ham hocks. Only.

The Granville civic diet is nothing but bars from Robson to the bridge. This bar concentration policy was pushed by former city councillor Lynne Kennedy, who should have known better, as she had watched the same policy lead to public disorder problems along Calgary's "Electric Avenue" when she lived there in the 1980s.

What is worse, Ms. Kennedy's policy effectively removed the strong encouragement for bars to feature live music, under pressure from penny-pinching Granville landlords and bar-owners.

One need only to drive over to San Antonio's sister city of Austin to see what we might have been on Granville Street.

Austin's Pecan Street is a concentrated bar strip with music of every possible stripe: blues; jazz; hard core punk; barnyard bluegrass; Brazilian samba; honkin'-good country. In the same way the landscaping, water and visually delimited public space tames the nightlife crowds along Riverwalk, Pecan Street attracts music lovers of every age and income. Live music has a catalytic and fun-engendering effect on bar-goers there.

Meanwhile, back in Vancouver, I have just learned the only remaining venue along our Granville for live music-loving geezers like me — the Yale Hotel's blues club — will soon shut down. The shuttered bar has already been slated for use as — wait for it — a condo pre-sales salon for a tower to rise next door. There is a vague promise that this space will be eventually upgraded into some sort of nightlife venue acceptable to the millionaires who will buy next door.

Vancouver, watch the music die. Single-use condo-mania is the cause of death.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl..._gam_mostemail

Last edited by SpongeG; Apr 26, 2008 at 5:04 AM.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2008, 9:13 AM

The only reason why Trevor Boddy has a column in the eastern-centric Globe and Mail is cause he absolutely loves to hate Vancouver. I mean somebody please tell me, what the hell does a small creek in San Antonio have to do with Vancouver, or more specifically, Granville st?

Old Posted Apr 22, 2008, 1:18 PM
testify

^ but he has a point. and it's pretty ridiculous about the blues club shutting down...

Old Posted Apr 22, 2008, 2:04 PM

How are the 2 cities comparable at all? SA is a blue collar, working class town near Mexico.

Here's another opinion:

San Antonio’s much-ballyhooed River Walk reminded me of the Los Angeles River — and that’s not a good thing. The river — if you can even call it that — looks likes a cup of coffee with a few packets of sugar dumped in. The river is encased by concrete walkways that are lined with restaurants that serve the same variation of mediocre Tex-Mex. The tour boats that pass by every few minutes are filled with people who look unhappy, which is understandable, since these poor souls actually spent money to tour the river. The smoke expelled by the boats is welcome, however, since it masks River Walk’s many other unpleasant smells.

When you exit River Walk, things don’t get much better. The streets of downtown San Antonio are filled with people who think high fashion consists of wearing a tattered Spurs shirt that doesn’t quite cover their expansive bellies.

Even The Alamo, an attraction I had looked forward to visiting for years, disappoints. I appreciate the history of The Alamo — I grew up idolizing Davy Crockett — but it’s hard to take this history seriously when there is a Häagen-Daz next door.

Truth be told, the highlight of the trip was when I went to the house of mirrors across the street. In the darkness of the house of mirrors, I could forget, at least for a moment, the fact that I was in San Antonio.

It looks like Calgary (minus the boom):

Old Posted Apr 22, 2008, 2:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
What Vancouver has is the ever-tackier bar strip along Granville Street downtown, a disastrous legacy of one-and-only-one-activity-at-a-time land use planning. In architecture school, one of my teachers used to make satirical cartoons of what our meals would be like if we organized them in the same manner as zoning-obsessed city planners and politicians: April 18 to 25, boiled potatoes; April 26 to May 2, chocolate pudding; May 3 through May 10, ham hocks. Only.
I have no idea about San Antonio, but BEST PARAGRAPH EVER.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2008, 7:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quobobo View Post
I have no idea about San Antonio, but BEST PARAGRAPH EVER.
Ya, best paragraph ever. Sums up their narrow sighted views extremely well.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2008, 7:25 PM

i think trevor is right. our strive for mediocracy is very disappointing. by looking at what else is happening in north american we can learn and do better. the granville mall experience will be average at best but this is something that vancouver seems to take pride in...being average.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues