HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 9, 2009, 2:45 PM

Cool Six Flags rebuild

BR company inks agreement with Nickelodeon for Six Flags site
by CityBusiness staff reports

A Baton Rouge company has signed a preliminary agreement with Nickelodeon Recreation to redevelop the Six Flags theme park site in eastern New Orleans.

Southern Star Amusement reached the agreement with the division of the children's television network Monday. Plans are to apply for $100 million in federal Gulf Opportunity Zone bonds to redevelop the park, which has been closed since Hurricane Katrina.

Southern Star has said it want to operate the site as an amusement park featuring water attractions.•

Old Posted Jul 10, 2009, 1:20 AM

great news. I must admit that I was really skeptical of the project ever happening.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2009, 5:46 AM
TL;DR

Wonderful. There's a lawsuit going on between Six Flags and the city because the city owns the land and claims that Six Flags owes back rent on the property.

Regardless, I don't see why this shouldn't go forward at the same time. $100 million is quite a bit of money by theme park standards. We should get something good out of this.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2009, 12:43 PM

site of Copeland's on St. Charles to reopen

This is great for St. Charles Ave. but what's going on with the eye sore on Canal Street and Carollton? The old Robert's grocery.

Superior Restaurant Group, owner of the Superior Grill just a few blocks down St. Charles Avenue, plans to open a seafood restaurant in the old Copeland's some time next year. The company has secured a long-term lease for the building, which was not owned by the Copeland franchise.

"We love the neighborhood and really just think that's another tremendous location," said Gabe Garza, operating partner of Superior's new restaurant, which does not yet have a name. "We'd love to be part of just bringing that area back to life."

After striking it rich by founding the Popeye's fried-chicken chain, then losing it to bankruptcy in the early 1990s, Copeland would resurrect himself by building on the success of his full-service establishments.

Hurricane Katrina brought another blow, damaging many of Copeland's properties. While most restaurants have reopened --including the Cheesecake Bistro farther down St. Charles -- the landmark Copeland's has stayed boarded up since the storm, much to the chagrin of neighbors.

The dingy peach-colored building is a frequent target of graffiti, blighting one of New Orleans' most prominent intersections and street-car routes.

Carl Huling, owner of Fat Harry's bar and restaurant next door to Copeland's, expressed relief that the corner vacancy would soon be filled.

"Business begets business, so of course you want to have as much activity as you possibly can," Huling said. "I think it will be good for everybody if we can get it back open again."

Len Brignac, an attorney representing Al Copeland Investments, said the company decided not to reopen the Uptown location about two years ago and has since worked with the building's landlord to find a new tenant.

"That was a business decision," Brignac said.

St. Charles will get more than just a new tenant, as Superior is planning a massive renovation of the old Copeland's. Architecural plans are being finalized, and construction should start in the next few months. Preliminary plans have also gained a thumbs up from the Historic District Landmarks Commission, which oversees designs on St. Charles' iconic thoroughfare, Garza said.

"Our design is completely different than the previous design," he said. "From a structural standpoint, there is a lot to renovate."

As for the legacy of Copeland, who died last March, his rags-to-riches life story does not seem ready to fade any time soon. His company, now led by son Al Copeland Jr., continues to serve a variety of cuisine at restaurants in the New Orleans area and around the country.

Mann, who painted over the Copeland's sign on Wednesday, frequently dines at a Copeland's restaurant in Covington, near his hometown of Mandeville.

"We like that place," Mann said.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2009, 1:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgray View Post
BR company inks agreement with Nickelodeon for Six Flags site
by CityBusiness staff reports

A Baton Rouge company has signed a preliminary agreement with Nickelodeon Recreation to redevelop the Six Flags theme park site in eastern New Orleans.

Southern Star Amusement reached the agreement with the division of the children's television network Monday. Plans are to apply for $100 million in federal Gulf Opportunity Zone bonds to redevelop the park, which has been closed since Hurricane Katrina.

Southern Star has said it want to operate the site as an amusement park featuring water attractions.•
looks like Southern Star has a new website...

http://www.southernstaramusement.com/ssa/index.cfm

Not much there yet but it will be interesting to follow.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2009, 4:49 PM

Cool

I've inquired several times as to what is happening with the eyesore abandoned Robert's on Canal at Carollton. I drove by today and it has been demolished and the whole lot is being dug up. Great to see something being done. Anyone know what's being built?

Old Posted Jul 12, 2009, 6:29 AM

The old Robert's Supermarket is going to become a new Walgreens. Glad to see another Katrina eyesore going down.

Here is the Faubourg St. John page detailing the demolition.

http://fsjna.org/

Old Posted Jul 12, 2009, 4:15 PM

More bad news for the Hyatt Regency. I am really hoping that this project can get completed before the 2013 superbowl.

http://www.nola.com/business/index.s...gency_new.html

Old Posted Jul 12, 2009, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlidellWx View Post
The old Robert's Supermarket is going to become a new Walgreens. Glad to see another Katrina eyesore going down.

Here is the Faubourg St. John page detailing the demolition.

http://fsjna.org/
Hey guys, I used to post here from time to time, so now maybe I'll get back into it.

I happened to go by this site today, and it's pretty big. I can't imagine the whole thing is going to be a Walgreens. Any word if anything else might be coming there, and if so, what it might be?

Old Posted Jul 13, 2009, 5:21 AM

The Walgreens is all I've heard, but maybe a small shopping center or restaurant could go there as well. I agree it is a large space...as it was a Schweggemans at one time. It would be cool if they went the route of the Old Canal Villere store at Carrollton and Claiborne...building a Walgreens and another grocery/retail store next to it.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2009, 5:34 AM
TL;DR

The T-P reported in a 2008 article that the Canal/Carrollton site would become a Walgreens and a new, smaller Robert Fresh Market, just like the Claiborne/Carrollton site.

EDIT: didn't see SlidellWx's post. Yep, we should see another Robert there (eventually). Most likely, Robert negotiated with Walgreens to provide land in exchange for financing to help replace the store.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2009, 7:55 PM

Passed by the LCRC today. Finally getting vertical. Supports for the first floor are going up as we speak. 930 poydras is up to the 11th floor I believe.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2009, 8:33 AM
TL;DR

^^ Has the cladding gone up yet on 530? I won't be back in NOLA for another 5 weeks.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2009, 5:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
^^ Has the cladding gone up yet on 530? I won't be back in NOLA for another 5 weeks.
You mean 930 poydras? The curtain has gone up to about the fourth floor or so. Not very impressive as of yet, mostly black panels with a few window panels put in. I'm hoping the finished product looks much better so i'm not passing judgement yet. I know the test strips also had some grey and green panels.

Also passed by the demolition site at duncan plaza where the new state gov't building is supposed to be. The old 8 floor office building there is about 2/3 demolished, I wonder if they are still planning on building?

Also the muses housing site in central city is under way, still laying the groundwork.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2009, 12:32 PM

Glad to see the Muses project starting construction. Hope this will be a catalyst for more development in Central City.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2009, 5:45 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by sguil1 View Post
You mean 930 poydras? The curtain has gone up to about the fourth floor or so. Not very impressive as of yet, mostly black panels with a few window panels put in. I'm hoping the finished product looks much better so i'm not passing judgement yet. I know the test strips also had some grey and green panels.

Also passed by the demolition site at duncan plaza where the new state gov't building is supposed to be. The old 8 floor office building there is about 2/3 demolished, I wonder if they are still planning on building?

Also the muses housing site in central city is under way, still laying the groundwork.
Oops, yea, I meant 930 Poydras. I wasn't thinking clearly.

If the Muses has started already, that was fast. I'm not sure whether to give credit to the developers for starting so soon, or to be angry at the T-P for running the story so late.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2009, 7:26 PM

Southern Star Amusement to apply for $100 million dollars in go zone bonds next month...

http://www.nola.com/business/index.s...hearing_m.html

http://neworleanscitybusiness.com/vi...cfm?recid=1433

Old Posted Jul 22, 2009, 2:47 AM

New VA should break ground sooner than later...

http://www.wwltv.com/topstories/stor....5dffc953.html

Great news in my opinion! The new VA hospital deal has mostly pro's and very few con's unlike the new Charity which has plenty of both. This will be a large regional hospital that will create 1000+ new jobs not to mention great health care to our vets. It is federally funded and the money is already there. The site in mid-city is near I-10 and almost completely non-residential. The old building has no historic or sentimental value.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2009, 6:33 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by sguil1 View Post
New VA should break ground sooner than later...

http://www.wwltv.com/topstories/stor....5dffc953.html

Great news in my opinion! The new VA hospital deal has mostly pro's and very few con's unlike the new Charity which has plenty of both. This will be a large regional hospital that will create 1000+ new jobs not to mention great health care to our vets. It is federally funded and the money is already there. The site in mid-city is near I-10 and almost completely non-residential. The old building has no historic or sentimental value.
Wait.. are we talking about the same VA? The VA will be between Canal, Tulane, Galvez, and Rocheblave - which is a dense residential neighborhood. The Charity site's been mostly abandoned, but the VA site is still occupied! I've been there! It also includes historic landmarks like the Dixie Brewery.

The concept of a new VA hospital is great, and so are the economic benefits. But they don't outweigh the need to preserve intact neighborhoods and community landmarks.

No city in the country is seriously considering the wholesale eradication of neighborhoods for big construction. That was the failure of 1960s planning, and it is a big reason why the projects like Iberville and Magnolia failed - they were plopped down with no regard for the residents, who were either forced out, or just stopped caring.

It's also symptomatic of the utter disregard that city government has for residents, many of whom have already left and aren't coming back. These people are tired of being treated like crap, and government can no longer rely on New Orleans history and tradition to keep people here. I'd take a decent home in a successful, vibrant city over Mardi Gras and Jazz Fest any day, if that choice were presented to me.

Last edited by ardecila; Jul 22, 2009 at 9:19 AM.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2009, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Wait.. are we talking about the same VA? The VA will be between Canal, Tulane, Galvez, and Rocheblave - which is a dense residential neighborhood. The Charity site's been mostly abandoned, but the VA site is still occupied! I've been there! It also includes historic landmarks like the Dixie Brewery.

The concept of a new VA hospital is great, and so are the economic benefits. But they don't outweigh the need to preserve intact neighborhoods and community landmarks.

No city in the country is seriously considering the wholesale eradication of neighborhoods for big construction. That was the failure of 1960s planning, and it is a big reason why the projects like Iberville and Magnolia failed - they were plopped down with no regard for the residents, who were either forced out, or just stopped caring.

It's also symptomatic of the utter disregard that city government has for residents, many of whom have already left and aren't coming back. These people are tired of being treated like crap, and government can no longer rely on New Orleans history and tradition to keep people here. I'd take a decent home in a successful, vibrant city over Mardi Gras and Jazz Fest any day, if that choice were presented to me.
The last time I rode thru that area it hardly resembled an "intact neighborhood" but one of our many decaying neighborhoods with little hope of improvement. I'm sorry but it really is a dumpy area. Preserve Dixie and the German haus...tha't a good idea.

Maybe with the new VA hospital and maybe Charity the surrounding area will be seen as more viable and be salvageable..thereby preserving some of our unique areas and inducing investment and maybe even creating an area people would actually want to live in. You can't have this vibrant city you want to live in by continually poo=pooing projects with this NIMBY attitude many have. We have to come to the realization that much of our housing stock in this city and the neoghborhoods they reside are places most people with any means would never want to live much less raise a family in. We will also have to realize that some of the decay/cancer will have to be cut out and new seeds planted to preserve at least some of what we have.

I'm not sure what the planning of the 1960's had to do with Iberville or Magnolia.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations