HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Mar 15, 2014, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
It looks like I am not the only one thinking this, it looks like this is in the planning stages for the city.

https://www.portlandoregon.gov/bps/article/472826

The inner SE along the new light rail line is going to see some seriously drastic changes in the future. Anyone who is smart and has the money should be buying along this line right now.
Most of the prime land in the area has been bought by either developers or TriMet already.

There was an article about a developer looking at some of the narrow lots being created on the east side of SE 17th for apartments in the Oregonian a few months ago, and Stacy and Witbeck have said they intend to use land they bought west of the new tracks and north of Powell as a development venture as well.

Hales mentioned in the past few months wanting to redevelop the land currently owned by the Fire Dept at the corner of SE Powell and Milwaukie. A common thing I hear in the neighborhood is people mentioning what a great site that would be for a grocery store with apartments over it.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2014, 4:34 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehogan View Post
Most of the prime land in the area has been bought by either developers or TriMet already.

There was an article about a developer looking at some of the narrow lots being created on the east side of SE 17th for apartments in the Oregonian a few months ago, and Stacy and Witbeck have said they intend to use land they bought west of the new tracks and north of Powell as a development venture as well.

Hales mentioned in the past few months wanting to redevelop the land currently owned by the Fire Dept at the corner of SE Powell and Milwaukie. A common thing I hear in the neighborhood is people mentioning what a great site that would be for a grocery store with apartments over it.
That is good to hear, a lot of major changes coming to southeast.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2014, 5:40 AM

From BikePortland.org:

The Orange Line might secretly be Portland's biggest bike project ever

Holy. Wow.

This explains suddenly why SE 17th is so wide through the project area, and part of why the SE neighborhood plan includes mentions of a bike/pedestrian bridge from SE Center to SE Gladstone.

For anyone who hasn't been down SE 17th lately, the road segments (it's line N Interstate, with the rail in the middle) are super wide. Like, wide enough that I was wondering if they were planning for 14' wide lanes or something.

So, Powell, Holgate, and Gladstone (eventually) from the east, as well as SE 17th and SE Milwaukie from Westmoreland/Sellwood/Milwaukie will all feed into a bike route right into downtown and CEID (via SE 11th/12th.)

Wow. Close-in East Side Portland is going to be set up nicely after this to be a natural expansion of Downtown.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2014, 12:44 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehogan View Post
From BikePortland.org:

The Orange Line might secretly be Portland's biggest bike project ever

Holy. Wow.

This explains suddenly why SE 17th is so wide through the project area, and part of why the SE neighborhood plan includes mentions of a bike/pedestrian bridge from SE Center to SE Gladstone.

For anyone who hasn't been down SE 17th lately, the road segments (it's line N Interstate, with the rail in the middle) are super wide. Like, wide enough that I was wondering if they were planning for 14' wide lanes or something.

So, Powell, Holgate, and Gladstone (eventually) from the east, as well as SE 17th and SE Milwaukie from Westmoreland/Sellwood/Milwaukie will all feed into a bike route right into downtown and CEID (via SE 11th/12th.)

Wow. Close-in East Side Portland is going to be set up nicely after this to be a natural expansion of Downtown.
Wide enough to have a center median with art and sculptures in it. I think the median will be ~20' wide or so.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2014, 9:10 PM

Really good blog post at places over time comparing PMLR with East Link in Seattle. Small excerpt:

Quote:
The glaringly obvious difference between the two projects is the chosen infrastructure and how it interacts with the built environment, even though fundamentally they use the same light rail technology. East Link is designed for optimizing automobile transportation with an almost entirely grade separated mix of massive viaducts, walled trenches, tunnels, and roadway improvements whereas the Orange Line is almost entirely at-grade with a focus on pedestrian and bicycle improvements.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Apr 4, 2014, 2:30 PM

Article about public art being installed along Milwaukie MAX line:

http://www.oregonlive.com/commuting/...ges_publi.html

Quote:
TriMet installs 'Passage' public art along Portland-Milwaukie MAX line

By Joseph Rose

This week, TriMet began installing 38 boat sculptures made of weathered steel along the tracks of the future Orange Line in Southeast Portland’s Brooklyn neighborhood.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2014, 5:33 PM

the skateboarders will be happy. nice paved roads and things to grind on

Old Posted Apr 4, 2014, 8:07 PM

4/4/14

[IMG][/IMG]

Old Posted Apr 5, 2014, 10:08 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ablerock View Post
Article about public art being installed along Milwaukie MAX line:

One man's art is another man's whatever the heck those are.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2014, 2:06 AM

Some shots of the new bridge (and vicinity) from yesterday evening. Lookin' pretty.

and a kind-of-crappy panorama...

Old Posted Apr 16, 2014, 2:30 AM
A before E

It wasn't the design I wanted to see them pick, but I am liking the final product. This has turned out to be a good looking bridge.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2014, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
It wasn't the design I wanted to see them pick, but I am liking the final product. This has turned out to be a good looking bridge.
Agreed, it did but dumbed down. But I still think it is pretty amazing!

Old Posted Apr 16, 2014, 5:25 PM

Bridge Name

Official bridge name is Tilikum Crossing (yes that's spelled right) or, "Bridge of the People"

Old Posted Apr 16, 2014, 5:44 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop View Post
Official bridge name is Tilikum Crossing (yes that's spelled right) or, "Bridge of the People"
I just got the update on this....not sure I am a fan of this name. Though I can see the jokes that people could easily come up with this name. Personally I think if they wanted the "Bridge of the People" then they should have listened to the people and named it the Kirk Reeves Bridge.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2014, 6:02 PM
Semi-Lurker

Of the finalists, I was rooting for the "Duniway Bridge".... purely based on aesthetics. I suppose it is nice that they are honoring the memory of this regions native people, but Til-i-kum is kind of clunky sounding. C'est la vie.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2014, 6:16 PM
Karma Police

I thought Duniway was a much better choice, but this is the People's Republic of Portland so I'm not surprised they picked such a communist (small "c") name.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2014, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDog View Post
Of the finalists, I was rooting for the "Duniway Bridge".... purely based on aesthetics. I suppose it is nice that they are honoring the memory of this regions native people, but Til-i-kum is kind of clunky sounding. C'est la vie.
Ohhh...I've always read the name as Tilly-Kum.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2014, 7:28 PM

I snapped a couple from the east bank last Friday.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 2:52 PM

So will the bike and pedestrian path go underneath the bridge on both sides? That isnt an auto road they are stuffing that close to the shoreline is it?

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 3:30 PM

As I understand it, the Eastbank Esplanade and the (future) Willamette Greenway both go under the bridge, with ramps up to connect the bridge and the trails (similar to the Hawthorne).

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure