HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation

Old Posted Jul 16, 2009, 4:56 AM
Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotusLand View Post
^ Thanks for stereotyping all UFC fans. I'm born and raised in Vancouver, live in Yaletown and let me tell you the bars are packed with non hillbillies lol. The amount of beautiful women that follow the sport in itself is amazing. The fan base does attract some undesirables, but guess what go to a B.C. Lions games and it looks like Surrey, to me that is just as undesirable, yet I still go and support the team whenever I can (even if they suck this year).

This is a good event that will attract lots of $$$ and just reaches out to another audience to highlight Vancouver.

Also you'd be surprised how many MMA schools, gyms and clinics operate in Vancouver and the lower mainland.
With you on all that. George St. Pierre is probably in the top three most popular Canadian athletes. UFC reaches way beyond the neanderthals of society.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2009, 7:10 AM

It's interesting to note, that the topic of allowing UFC here in Vancouver is heating up. I listen to the Team1040 radio station, and they were talking and discussing about that all day. Had callers who said they would definitely support it, and then there were others who said it's cruelty (who would support a sport that beats other people senseless?). on the team1040 site, they had a poll going throughout the day, and it was asking whether Vancouver should allow the UFC to come to the city. 71 percent said Vancouver should, and 29 percent said no. So there is support for the UFC. I personally don't mind for the UFC to come, as I've maintained before, the more sporting scene we have here in this city, the better

While I love the Canucks, I would appreciate some more sporting variety. Thankfully, MLS is coming soon to our beautiful city, and hope that one day, as I keep dreaming, the NBA will return too.

By the way, whatever happened to the NLL's Ravens? Are there plans for them to return? Last I heard was 2011 for the Ravens to be reinstated, and the franchise revived.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2009, 7:33 AM

MMA has also been a sport that has been bringing teenagers back to recreational activities - we should all see it as normal as kids taking boxing or conventional martial arts. MMA used to be seen as a barbaric sport where the goal was just to destroy the other person - watch a PPV match and you'll see the immense respect that most (not all) fighters have towards their opponent, the sportsmanship is quite high.

But of course, people will still see it for whatever they see it for.

The point is, an event is an event. It's not a nazi rally or some crazier, more controversial thing. It brings a whole lot of revenue to our city and brings out all the athletes that have been training in Vancouver into a regulated sport where they can have a chance.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2009, 8:20 AM

It wasn't too long ago that people saw the sport as barbaric. Some people may still see the sport that way. I honestly have not seen any PPV UFC matches, but I am intrigued in the sport. It's interesting, to say the least. I certainly hope that the UFC comes to Vancouver soon.

Weren't they planning on coming to GM Place next year sometime?

Old Posted Aug 12, 2009, 12:46 PM
be nice to the crackheads

The current crop of athletes that fight in UFC are extremely disciplined and in insane shape. Just look at GSP (Goerge St-Pierre). That guy is amazing.

My only problem is with the fans. Some real neanderthals follow the sport.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2009, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post
The current crop of athletes that fight in UFC are extremely disciplined and in insane shape. Just look at GSP (Goerge St-Pierre). That guy is amazing.

My only problem is with the fans. Some real neanderthals follow the sport.
Yet the city allowed Monster Truck rallies in BC Place. Exemplar of neandarthalic behaviour year after year from what I read in the papers.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2009, 5:03 PM

I just would like to see more events in this city period and year round. Yeah we got the Nucks, Lions and whitecaps great. But there is a void of major sporting events. We don't get the Tennis, thats always back east, as is the major golf tourney. Not to say that I personally would watch golf, but there are a lot of ppl that would, that is the whole point behind the UFC.

If you don't like it, don't watch and attend because thats your choice and I don't always support everything that comes here. If it comes here, it will sell out in mere minutes, just like it did in Montreal. The economic impact is undeniable.

Vancouver grow up and just do it. We need more sporting events in this town!

Old Posted Aug 12, 2009, 5:38 PM

Quote:
I just would like to see more events in this city period and year round. Yeah we got the Nucks, Lions and whitecaps great. But there is a void of major sporting events. We don't get the Tennis, thats always back east, as is the major golf tourney. Not to say that I personally would watch golf, but there are a lot of ppl that would, that is the whole point behind the UFC.

If you don't like it, don't watch and attend because thats your choice and I don't always support everything that comes here. If it comes here, it will sell out in mere minutes, just like it did in Montreal. The economic impact is undeniable.

Finally, someone who understands! Haha. Seriously, I agree with everything that you said. I would love for the major tennis events to come to Vancouver (and it'd be nice to have a venue for them), and for the PGA Tour to come regularly to Van. - it sure would be nice to have some variety of major sporting events. Bah, I don't see what the trouble is over the UFC. just make it happen! You can't control who follows a sport (unfortunately), but I suppose that makes it even more important for the athletes of the UFC to stand up, show and be class.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2009, 6:04 PM
victory in near

Quote:

i'll take it that you did not watch the Odlum Brown Vancouver Open tennis tournament this weekend. Marcos Baghdatis was there (and won). the tourney had $175,000 US in prize money. that's not half bad...

as well, the Canadian Open will be held at Vancouver's Shaughnessy Golf and Country Club in 2011 (not in Glen Abbey or any where else in Ontario)

but still, UFC needs to come to vancouver.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2009, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmk View Post
i'll take it that you did not watch the Odlum Brown Vancouver Open tennis tournament this weekend. Marcos Baghdatis was there (and won). the tourney had $175,000 US in prize money. that's not half bad...

as well, the Canadian Open will be held at Vancouver's Shaughnessy Golf and Country Club in 2011 (not in Glen Abbey or any where else in Ontario)

but still, UFC needs to come to vancouver.
I did not take in the Odlum Brown Tennis Open. I wanted to but I'm getting married in a few weeks so I dont have the money or the time right now But I have in the past. However, I was talking about the Canadian open or Rogers Cup currently held in Montreal and Toronto.

As for Golf, great news! Glen Abbey is crappy course and doesn't do our beautiful country justice.

Yes UFC needs to come here and remember there are meatheads at Nucks and Lions games as well. You can't control who attends sporting events.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2009, 6:40 PM
victory in near

Quote:
I did not take in the Odlum Brown Tennis Open. I wanted to but I'm getting married in a few weeks so I dont have the money or the time right now But I have in the past. However, I was talking about the Canadian open or Rogers Cup currently held in Montreal and Toronto.
well, its pretty hard to compare the vanopen to the canadian open. the canadian open is on the Masters 1000 and one of the big ones. plus i believe it is the 3rd longest running tour on the planet with prize money of $3 millions. federer, nadal, murray.... big names over there!

btw, congrats and good luck.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2009, 7:12 PM

^ Thanks

Old Posted Aug 14, 2009, 8:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmk View Post
well, its pretty hard to compare the vanopen to the canadian open. the canadian open is on the Masters 1000 and one of the big ones. plus i believe it is the 3rd longest running tour on the planet with prize money of $3 millions. federer, nadal, murray.... big names over there!

btw, congrats and good luck.
I wonder why the Canadian Open, and the Rogers Cup doesn't come out to Vancouver? I'd love to have those events out here in Vancouver. We do need, and it'd be a wonderful place to have the tournament during a beautiful Vancouver summer. Why not?

Old Posted Aug 14, 2009, 3:47 PM

Quote:
You can't control who attends sporting events.
That's just what's making city councils pause and think. For all their violence, football and hockey have always been family sports and family activities. UFC, in its original incarnation, was marketed as a no-hold's barred human cockfight, with the commentators and packaging thrusting that front and centre.

That was then. Now, with the modern idea of MMA means as a sport, the UFC is night and day different from that original marketing gimmick. But that hasn't stopped people from remembering how it 'used to be' and continuing to assosciate it with that fringe element (a la Michael Vick).

Is that the way it is now? Nope. But some of the more conservative elements think it still is.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2009, 6:15 PM

just make it happen. there are a lot of financial benefits in allowing UFC to be a major sporting event in this city. it'd be putting us a step closer to being not just a world class city, but a world class sporting city too!

Old Posted Aug 15, 2009, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancity View Post
just make it happen. there are a lot of financial benefits in allowing UFC to be a major sporting event in this city. it'd be putting us a step closer to being not just a world class city, but a world class sporting city too!
Mmmhmm, just like Omaha Nebraska.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2009, 6:59 PM
Cheers!

World class city? I don't think so. There's really only a handful of so called world class cities in my eyes, and there always will be. More of a sporting city, and away from a no fun city... yes.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2009, 12:35 AM

Quote:
UFC may muscle in to GM Place by next summer

By John Colebourn, The Province
August 27, 2009 5:20 PM

VANCOUVER — Executives with the Ultimate Fighting Championship Thursday said they hope to have a big-card event in General Motors Place by next summer.

But first they are trying to punch and kick their way through the murky jurisdictional and legal issues that go with holding a world-class mixed martial arts event in B.C.

The UFC executives from Las Vegas earlier this week met with Attorney-General Michael de Jong to try to convince him their sport has come of age and has a loyal and large fan base.

“We are excited about having an event in Vancouver in 2010,” said the UFC’s Lawrence Epstein.

Even with a large pay-per-view UFC audience in Western Canada, Epstein said they have a long way to go to upstage the sport of hockey.

“I don’t think anything will overshadow hockey in this country,” he said.

UFC fights have a big following in the 18-to-35 age group, said the UFC executives. They also claim upwards of 35 per cent of their audience at the fight events is women.

So far in Canada, a number of UFC events have been held in Quebec.

“This is a very important place we want to be,” the UFC’s Marc Ratner said of their interest in Vancouver. He said they had a “very supportive meeting with the A-G” in their efforts to get approval to put on an event at GM Place.

“We want to do everything right politically,” he added.

Ratner said they remain optimistic the needed regulatory approval can be given in time for next summer.

“June 2010, that’s our framework,” he said.

Vancouver city council in the spring said they would look to the province for direction on the contentious UFC brand of fighting. Vancouver Coun. Geoff Meggs Thursday said they would like to see the province lead the way and be the one’s who regulate the sport.

“Our preference would be to have the province regulate it provincewide,” he said. “They [UFC] have to be regulated and it has to be a provincial or city decision.”

The UFC’s Epstein maintains the sport is much safer than boxing.

“Studies done unequivocally confirm mixed martial arts is safer than boxing,” he said.

Vancouver city council in March threw the UFC matter over to the B.C. government — the same move it made in 2007. After hearing pleas from athletes, promoters and coaches, council backed away from making the city the official sanctioning body for the controversial sport. They said at the time Victoria needs to do the sanctioning to prevent a "patchwork quilt" of rules from town to town.

Vancouver council directed staff to prepare a look at the liability involved in sanctioning the sport itself, through the city's volunteer athletic commission. That report is expected by mid-September.

Initially marketed as "extreme fighting" with few rules attached, mixed martial arts attracted a reputation for violence and an underworld following. Now highly regulated, it is sanctioned in the U.S. in 40 states.

The commission used to sanction mixed martial arts events in Vancouver. Five fights were held before council ordered the commission in 2007 to temporarily stop allowing them.

jcolebourn@theprovince.com
http://www.theprovince.com/sports/mu...619/story.html

Old Posted Aug 28, 2009, 1:31 AM

The sport personally doesn't interest me whatsoever, but two consenting adults should be able to beat the snot out of eachother if they so choose.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2009, 3:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeCee View Post
The sport personally doesn't interest me whatsoever, but two consenting adults should be able to beat the snot out of eachother if they so choose.
Me either. However it will probably bring quite a bit of tourism to the area if it occurs.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation