Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 11:38 AM

nice photo...

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 12:15 PM
cookies, skittles & milk

yeah, great shot tony!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
Ideally, you want to get as close as possible to what you want straight out of the camera. But, depending on the style of photography, processing has always played a big role. Look at Ansel Adams, for example. He spent a great deal of effort on darkroom techniques, dodging and burning and masks and all that. Even in film days, photographers thought ahead to what they would do with the photo in processing. Black and white film, in particular, always involved a lot of creative processing. It's just easier with digital, which leads some people to go overboard.
this. i think it has to do with personal style mostly. architecture has so much use in photography because it can be highly stylized or very candid. and it works with nearly every arch style too! modeling, however, requires an a) controlled environment or b) the 'right' equipment (along with good settings).

for me a good photo is a good photo, no matter how you get there. photography is so manipulable that it gets overdone many times. but as long as there's a purpose to the editing (whether it's to create mood, be true to the subject or stretch reality) then good pictures will come.

anyways, a while back i thought about building my own computer. i remember several members here doing it and it really seems like a good experience. my main concern with PC's are the gawd awful cases however. i love apple aesthetics and it's so hard to find good looking PC stuffs. until i fond this bad boy

link

it's a bit expensive, but sexy as mofo. i'm turned off by apple's unupgradeability (?) and their apparent lack of updates on older models. butt, i'll leave all this for another thread...

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 12:31 PM

Go to any good computer store and you'll find lots of nice cases. If you choose to build your own, make sure you do some research. I've been building my own since the 90s and still spend quite a bit of time choosing parts, reading reviews, etc. Choose your platform, then start with a good motherboard and a good power supply (I can't stress the power supply enough). Don't cheap out on parts and read up to make sure things are compatible.

Also, get 8 GB of RAM. If you end up with one of those 24 or 36 megapixel cameras, you will really need it. Note you can use more than 4 GB on 32-bit Windows or Linux if you enable physical address extension (PAE).

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 2:03 PM
Honored Member

Sleek-looking case, Aleks. I had the same problem when I built a new system last year; all the cases I found were fugly like something designed by Klingons. Besides, I figured all the perforations for air flow probably made them noisy. I ended up reusing the Thermaltake Tusnami case that I bought in 2006 and that I still like. It has a clear side (I like to look at the goodies inside) and a smooth glossy black finish over the rest of it that shines like a new car. It has a removable cage for up to five hard drives and abundant external bays as well, and with its 120mm fans and isolated drive mountings it's quiet.

Better than ever and always growing: [url=http://www.robertpence.com][b]My Photography Web Site[/b][/url]

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 5:52 PM

Lol all this tech talk about computers is really motivating me to throw away even more unnecessary money on what is supposed to be just a hobby. Well at least I know now why my computer moves so damn slow when using Lightroom; 500mb of RAM just won't cut it . And after viewing some of my pics on a couple of computers at the library, I'll definitely need to get a new monitor.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 7:34 PM
3rd Coast King

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownCity View Post
Lol all this tech talk about computers is really motivating me to throw away even more unnecessary money on what is supposed to be just a hobby. Well at least I know now why my computer moves so damn slow when using Lightroom; 500mb of RAM just won't cut it . And after viewing some of my pics on a couple of computers at the library, I'll definitely need to get a new monitor.
You need an upgrade in general. 1/2 gig of ram is not enough for anything. Even I have 1 gig in my laptop.

My Book

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 2:23 AM
be nice to the crackheads

I'm finally getting an all purpose walk-around lens with a decent zoom for my camera. It's been almost three years since I had a proper zoom. It was pointless using the 18-200mm for my D3, so I had to live without for a while.

It's been a long time coming. I can't wait.

Nikon 28-300mm VR

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/28-300mm.htm

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 3:28 AM

^ nice

I just got the Canon counterpart, the 24-105 mm f-4. Wanted the 28-70 II but it's been delayed forever. Should get lots of use this summer.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 2:55 PM
3rd Coast King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okayyou View Post
^ nice

I just got the Canon counterpart, the 24-105 mm f-4. Wanted the 28-70 II but it's been delayed forever. Should get lots of use this summer.
The 24-105 is a real solid lens. Better range in my opinion and for daytime f4 is more then enough.

My Book

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 3:17 PM
cookies, skittles & milk

damn giallo! i stopped my lens search a while back but i might have to be a copycat on this one! except you shoot fx right? i wonder how well it'll work with dx (d90). i eventually plan to upgrade to fx so maybe it'd be worth it? i can easily sell my 18-105+70-300 VR's and get this one. ken rockwell (yeah i know, this is one of the few times i consider his advise) advised to skip this lens for dx soo... not really sure. plus distortion seems prettyyy hefty at points, but the range and optics look nice too. and all in one lens!

except i probably shouldn't be building a computer and getting new lenses at once (plus other expenses). my wage doesn't grant me this freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
Also, get 8 GB of RAM. If you end up with one of those 24 or 36 megapixel cameras, you will really need it. Note you can use more than 4 GB on 32-bit Windows or Linux if you enable physical address extension (PAE).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Pence View Post
has a removable cage for up to five hard drives and abundant external bays as well, and with its 120mm fans and isolated drive mountings it's quiet.
Dang, this maybe harder than i thought... I do love reviews! generally it's the negative ones which help me the most. pretty much anything i buy i put research into and it's been worth it!

i'm most likely gonna start a help thread, but that won't be until after we move in about a month. the last thing i want are computer parts all over the place.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diskojoe View Post
The 24-105 is a real solid lens. Better range in my opinion and for daytime f4 is more then enough.
Yeah, I'm replacing my 17-55 IS for my crop sensor so the 28-70 is nearly the same focal range on FF. The 24-105 is a better walk around lens for the daytime which is how I'll be using it. The IS allows for handheld shots around 1/6 to 1/3 which, combined with a usable 6400 ISO, will allow for some great low light shots. The only thing the 2.8 would be better for is reducing subject blur if the subject is moving. I can always look into getting a 35mm 1.4 or 50mm 1.2 for low light.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 8:54 PM
3rd Coast King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okayyou View Post
Yeah, I'm replacing my 17-55 IS for my crop sensor so the 28-70 is nearly the same focal range on FF. The 24-105 is a better walk around lens for the daytime which is how I'll be using it. The IS allows for handheld shots around 1/6 to 1/3 which, combined with a usable 6400 ISO, will allow for some great low light shots. The only thing the 2.8 would be better for is reducing subject blur if the subject is moving. I can always look into getting a 35mm 1.4 or 50mm 1.2 for low light.
I like to open up to f2.8 when taking snaps of people and getting a real shallow depth of field but f4 is not bad. Did you get the kit? I was looking at the kit prices and wish I had a ton of dough so I could just chunk my sony gear and get me something quality. I was very impressed by the iso capabilities you were showing. Even at 6400 there is hardly any noise that would cause issues. maybe a small bit of noise reduction and you have a perfect image.

My Book

Old Posted Apr 12, 2012, 12:32 AM
be nice to the crackheads

Speaking of quality ISO, I saw a test image from the Nikon D800. It was taken at 25600 ISO, and looked amazing. I'm seriously considering getting it, well the D800E (getting in to medium format territory with the E). The video capabilities on the camera look second to none as well, but I guess 36mp helps.

I'm going to be a broke mofo when the summer rolls around.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2012, 2:06 AM

giallo, you'll make good use of that lens, a walkaround zoom so convenient, and that one has a crazy range. I have a bunch of fast primes, but most of my shots are still with a 16-85 because it does almost everything without changing lenses all the time. I do miss the speed at the telephoto end occasionally, but you can't have everything in one lens. It's nice to have a lens with VR too.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2012, 6:19 PM
3rd Coast King

Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post
Speaking of quality ISO, I saw a test image from the Nikon D800. It was taken at 25600 ISO, and looked amazing. I'm seriously considering getting it, well the D800E (getting in to medium format territory with the E). The video capabilities on the camera look second to none as well, but I guess 36mp helps.

Im wondering how fast that thing fills up a memory card taking video or overheating the battery. But with usable video at iso 25600 capabilities it would probably be worth the cost. Everything I have seen from the d800 has been good stuff.

My Book

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 12:29 AM
So very tired...

Still waiting for my phone call on that one

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 1:22 PM
3rd Coast King

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulliver View Post
Still waiting for my phone call on that one

My Book

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 1:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post

D800 is a beast. I gave serious thought to switching when I saw a sample image on Nikon Rumors. It was a shot of bird standing in water and then a crop of the birds head. Crop was pin sharp and you could easily pick out the reflection of the photog in the bird's eye. Tried finding the post but gave up.

Our local camera store, called The Camera Store is doing a 3 part series comparing the 5D MKIII to the D800. I was surprised by the D800 being slightly sharper at high ISO and the MKIII having slightly better autofocus. Personally, I'd pick better AF over high ISO. Here's the first part:

Video Link

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 2:15 PM
Red October standing by

i finally got a prime lens, 35mm nikon. so far it's sweet.

-

-fflint

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 2:48 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Very nice. Is it the f1.8 or the f1.4?

Aaron (Glowrock)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography