HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted May 13, 2009, 1:13 AM
Eurosceptic

Does Southwest Michigan move to the beat of Motown or croon that Chicago is its town?

http://www.heraldpalladium.com/artic...ews/447013.txt

Which is our kind of town?

Locals say there are benefits to being in between

By KEVIN ALLEN - H-P Business Writer
Published: Sunday, May 10, 2009 1:07 PM EDT

Chicago Convention & Tourism Bureau Chicago's skyline is seen off Lake Michigan. Though the Twin Cities' location is in Michigan, the proximity to Chicago is shorter than Detroit. Detroit's manufacturing base still has connections here, but Chicago's influence competes.

John Madill / H-P staff This sign directs motorists to entrance ramps to Detroit and Chicago at Red Arrow Highway in Lincoln Township. April 25, 2009

Does Southwest Michigan move to the beat of Motown or croon that Chicago is its kind of town?

As globalization makes state lines less relevant and the auto industry continues to contract, Southwest Michigan's identity and economy could become increasingly tied to the Windy City, experts say.

Most people probably think that wouldn't be so bad. After all, Detroit is continually held up as the nation's most tragic example of industrial decline while Chicago is in the running to host the 2016 Olympics.

And while Detroit, 190 miles to the east on Interstate 94, plays an important role in Michigan's overall vitality and image, Benton Harbor and St. Joseph seem to have more in common with Chicago, 100 miles in the other direction on I-94.

Chicago shares a lake and an Amtrak line with the Twin Cities, and sports fans in the area are just as likely to cheer for the Bears and Cubs as Lions and Tigers.

Southwest Michigan is also a top destination for tourists from Illinois. Even Chicago Mayor Richard Daley has a summer home in Grand Beach.

But locals who work in economic development say it's not a matter of which city is more important to Southwest Michigan. The area's strength has always been that it's located on the main interstate between the Midwest's two largest metropolises.

"We don't favor one over the other," said Jamie Balkin, executive director of communications and marketing for Cornerstone Alliance, an economic development group that promotes the Twin Cities area.

"We market ourselves as being within close proximity to both," Balkin said. "That's one of our true advantages here: our proximity to several major markets, not just Chicago and Detroit but Grand Rapids too."

Autos still important

Shelley Klug, executive director of the Southwest Michigan Economic Growth Alliance, said Chicago and Detroit are important in different ways to the area's economic health.

"If you're looking at it from a real estate point of view, you'd definitely say Chicago. When you talk about promoting new businesses coming here, again you tend to talk more about Chicago," she said. "If you're asking which of those two cities has a stronger influence on our manufacturers, I'm not sure. We have a lot of auto suppliers, which of course is Detroit."

Dan Fette, Berrien County's director of community development, said the county has weathered the recession better than most parts of Michigan.

"We haven't seen the massive decline in property values, the number of foreclosures, the 10 to 15 percent rise in unemployment," he said.

Fette credits the area's Chicago connection for stimulating more economic diversity here, especially when it comes to tourism and recreation businesses. But the importance of Detroit cannot be ignored either, he said.

"As the Detroit economy goes, at least the manufacturing economy, our economy is affected by that," he said. "Having the links to the auto manufacturers on the east side of the state has been a good thing traditionally."

"Basically the whole state is tied to the auto industry more than the city (of Detroit)," said Lou Glazer, president of Michigan Future Inc., an Ann Arbor-based think tank. "Even if (the automakers) survive, the auto industry is going to be not as robust."

Study points to Chicago

An economic study published in 2004 by Holland-based Whittaker Associates listed proximity to Chicago as the top strength for developing new industry in the Twin Cities.

That came despite the report's assertion that more than a quarter of all jobs in the area are in manufacturing, and most of those are in tool-and-die shops that supply automakers.

The report said distribution and logistics are the industries with the most potential for growth around the Twin Cities. That again points to the advantage of being in between Chicago and Detroit, and the importance of both cities' economies.

Richard Longworth, a senior fellow at the Chicago Council on Global Affairs and author of "Caught in the Middle: America's Heartland in the Age of Globalism," said he sees the Chicago economic region as spanning four states, beginning in Milwaukee and wrapping around the southern shore of Lake Michigan to Grand Rapids.

"A lot of the argument I made in my book is the states count for less and less in our economic lives," Longworth said. "Places like St. Joseph, Holland and Grand Rapids have kind of taken their economic fortunes in their own hands and are moving ahead.

"You'll find the same thing here (in Chicago)," he said. "We don't have a lot to do with the rest of Illinois. We feel closer to you all."

Lake is common ground

Longworth said one of the most important connections between Chicago and Southwest Michigan is the body of water that lies between the two.

"We share this huge resource, Lake Michigan. What happens to Lake Michigan is really important to you and us," he said.

Longworth added that Southwest Michigan's tool-and-die tradition is an asset that should not be abandoned as the auto industry shrinks. That capacity needs to be used to branch out into other applications such as wind turbines, solar panels, electrical transmission equipment and components for high-speed rail systems.

"My thing is trying not to hold too much on to the past," he said. "Tool-and-die shops that continue to depend on the Big Three (automakers) are going to be in trouble."

Glazer said proximity to talent is the most important factor in the knowledge-based economy, and Chicago has become the top destination for Michigan's college graduates.

"Like everybody else, Michigan needs to get linked to that economy," Glazer said. "Then the key becomes not where the factories are located but where the talent is located. And Chicago is way ahead of Detroit in that respect."

kallen@TheH-P.com.

Old Posted May 13, 2009, 1:26 AM
The City

Culturally, I don't see SW Michigan feeling allied to any city. But the increasing influx of vacationing Chicagoans towards the west shore of Michigan appears to be having an impact (a good one, IMO--a lot of neat little towns there which could use the investment). I have a great article about this very issue that I will post shortly

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted May 13, 2009, 1:33 AM
Always A Classic

This is shocking! It's totally illogical for residents of a town an hour away from a very large city to have a closer relationship to said city than to the large city 3-4 hour in their same state.

Obviously this has EVERYTHING to do with Detroit's economic/automobile situation and hasn't been happening for several decades! Why in the world would Chicagoans want to grab cheap Michigan lakefront real estate when they can buy on the shores of Gary?

Old Posted May 13, 2009, 1:45 AM
The City

The article that I mentioned above

West Michigan should identify itself to world as Chicagoland, Econ Club speaker says
by Matt VandeBunte | The Grand Rapids Press
Monday March 09, 2009, 3:43 PM

Rex Larsen | The Grand Rapids Press

GRAND RAPIDS -- West Michigan? Not anymore. Greater Chicagoland might be a better moniker in the global economy, Richard Longworth told the Economic Club of Grand Rapids Monday.

Besides, why claim the state's stigma?

"West Michigan has more to do with Chicago than it does with Detroit or even Lansing," said Longworth, a veteran journalist and senior fellow at the Chicago Council on Global Affairs.
"Globalization couldn't care less about state lines drawn two centuries ago.

"The Midwest states have everything in common, but they're trying to fight this battle on their own. We're basically one economy and we should be working together."

Speaking at the Amway Grand Plaza Hotel, Longworth said the Midwest "became the economic heart of the world" in the industrial era.

Now, those good old days are gone. And in the new era of globalization, America's heartland is "Caught in the Middle," as his new book is titled.

Longworth said small cities built around industrial factories are being emptied by competition abroad, and rural towns that anchored a network of family farms are fading as agriculture consolidates.

As a result, many Midwestern cities have declining populations, rising poverty and Wal-Mart as their biggest private employer. If those "Silicon Valleys" of the industrial age do not adapt, they will become the "backwaters" of the global economy, he said.

Along with Chicago, Longworth cited Newton, Iowa, which lost the Maytag Corp. headquarters and now is striving to remake itself as a hub of wind turbine manufacturing, as role models.

He said local and state governments must stop trying to save industrial giants like the automakers. Instead, they should coordinate efforts to create new industries in alternative energy, bio-fuels and clean water.

"Too much of the Midwest is still in mourning for the past," Longworth said. "The good news is that this era has just begun. The bad news is so much of the Midwest is already behind."

Longworth called for an interstate economic development program like the post-World War II Marshall Plan in Europe. Sure, political dynamics will make it difficult for governments to coordinate efforts across state lines, he said.

But the choice is clear: Rust in isolation or drive into the future together. The current economic crisis is calling the question.

"This crisis could finish off much of what's left of the old Midwest economy," Longworth said. "It is nothing if not a great big wakeup call.

"It's time for the Midwest to face facts. The old days are gone. We have to look for new ways of earning a living."

Old Posted May 13, 2009, 3:24 AM
Honored Member

It's kind of ironic that they mention the Maytag HQ, as wasn't it Whirlpool who bought Maytag? (Whirlpool's HQ is located in Benton Harbor.)

There was an article awhile ago talking about creating a commuter rail line from St. Joseph to Chicago. I would assume it would branch off in Michigan City and then stop in New Buffalo and St. Joseph. It's about as far from Chicago as South Bend.

Old Posted May 13, 2009, 6:12 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

At least for the southwestern portion of West Michigan, it just geographically makes more since that'd it'd be closer allied to Chicago than anywhere else. As the article shows, Benton Harbor-St. Joseph is nearly 100 miles further from Detroit than it is to Chicago. That's not peanuts for distance.

As for Metro Detroit, historically, its axis of influence has always been situated more North-South. Heck, it has more in common with Southwestern Ontario than it ever has with the Lake Michigan region, and it has to do with historic trade routes along the respective lakes each city and region sat on.

Old Posted May 13, 2009, 3:25 PM

What the hell is the point of this article? There are cities in Southwestern Ontario that are more aligned with Detroit than they are with Toronto - and they're in separate countries!

Old Posted May 13, 2009, 3:31 PM
Eurosceptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
What the hell is the point of this article?
It's regional economic geography.

Old Posted May 13, 2009, 4:17 PM
Honored Member

More locally Berrien County is geared towards the South Bend area, particularly the southeast portion of Berrien County. The southwest corner of the county is geared slightly towards Michigan City/Chicagoland. The rest (the northern portion) is the "real" Benton Harbor-St. Joseph metro area.

Old Posted May 13, 2009, 7:36 PM
devout Pizzatarian

wealthy chicagoans have long flocked to the east shore of lake michigan for vacation homes (including mayor daley). i'm curious if this is the case for wealthy detroiters as well, or do they primarily look elsewhere in the state for vacation homes?

Old Posted May 13, 2009, 11:54 PM

Quote:
It's regional economic geography.
Yeah but it seems that it's another one of those articles that subtlely puts down Detroit and over-emphasizes the economic problems there.

Old Posted May 14, 2009, 12:58 AM
Honored Member

Most Detroiters go "up north" for their vacation homes. Basically "Up North" is anything north of Metro Detroit. It could be as close as the thumb region or as far away as the UP. I'm sure there are more than a few Metro Detroiters with vacation homes along Lake Michigan (though, moreso in the Traverse City/Charlevoix area), but most of the people I know generally stay along Lake Huron.

Old Posted May 14, 2009, 2:12 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hudkina View Post
Most Detroiters go "up north" for their vacation homes. Basically "Up North" is anything north of Metro Detroit. It could be as close as the thumb region or as far away as the UP. I'm sure there are more than a few Metro Detroiters with vacation homes along Lake Michigan (though, moreso in the Traverse City/Charlevoix area), but most of the people I know generally stay along Lake Huron.
I will vouch for this for I have family in the thumb and the northern burbs of Detroit.

This is their travel route from what I can see. One should not forget about the Burt and Mullet lake area.

Old Posted May 14, 2009, 3:23 AM

This isn't anything new here, folks. People in GR have been trying to separate themselves from Detroit for as far back as I can remember. There's very much an "us versus them" mentality on the west side of the state; there's almost a sense of glee at Detroit's downfall, as if west siders are willing to ignore how much Detroit's pains are mimicked in their own communities.

That being said, I can see the far southwest communities identifying more with Chicago (e.g. Benton Harbor / St. Joe), but once you get up towards Holland and GR, it's crazy to suggest that they are more connected to Chicago than to Detroit. Distance wise, it's very close, but culture wise, Michigan is and has been driven by Detroit for a long, long time.

Old Posted May 14, 2009, 4:23 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

I don't know; I think GR, and especially recently, has grown into something neither influenced by Detroit nor Chicago. And, before that, it tried as hard as it could to isolate itself. I've always found that the Dutch Reformed roots of GR have made it incredible insular and more passive-aggressive than outwardly hostile. It's an austere culture that keeps to itself, mostly.

It's something different than what I've seen in other states with an overshadowed region where that region has an inferiority complex. It's a quiet confidence and arrogance even.

Old Posted May 14, 2009, 5:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
West Michigan should identify itself to world as Chicagoland, Econ Club speaker says
by Matt VandeBunte | The Grand Rapids Press
Monday March 09, 2009, 3:43 PM

Rex Larsen | The Grand Rapids Press

GRAND RAPIDS -- West Michigan? Not anymore. Greater Chicagoland might be a better moniker in the global economy, Richard Longworth told the Economic Club of Grand Rapids Monday.
What complete bullshit. You can't call yourself "Chicagoland" unless you can actually commute there. Grand Rapids and Kalamazoo are the only sizable metro areas on the west coast, and they have no physical connection to Chicago.

Until there's a giant freeway built over Lake Michigan or a mag lev train straight from Grand Rapids to Chicago, they're never going to be considered as part of one metro area.

For whatever reason, the cultural divide between Michigan (especially on the east coast) and the rest of the midwest is a tangible, almost physical thing. I don't know why this is, I have no evidence save for experience to offer on speculation. There's also a very clear difference, at least to my eyes, between Michigan/Ohio/Indiana and the rest of the midwest states on the other side of Lake Michigan. They're part of the Great Plains.

I think a lot of it may have to do with the complete lack of communication or regional identity. It's not like anyone really wants to be part of the Midwest; the name carries no positive indications. One of the quotes that comes up again and again in academic circulation is the complete lack of communication amongst midwestern universities, and that's very true. It's as if the region simply doesn't see itself as a region.

As a point of personal note, I grew up in suburban Dearborn and have never been to Grand Rapids. It wasn't until I was finishing my undergrad that I actually met someone who lived there-- they were a temporary guest for the corporation I worked for and were simply training in the Detroit office.

They told me caffeine was the devil's drink and had an obsession with, oh... What video game was it... Something from Blizzard. I'm not saying this is in any way indicative of a larger trend, but I am saying that it just struck me as very, very odd

EDIT: I always found it funny that all the signs going west on the freeways in Michigan said "Chicago". I've been to Chicago many times but I never once used the freeways to get there, and anyways it would have taken me through either Ohio or Indiana first. Wouldn't "Ann Arbor" have been significantly more relevant?

Old Posted May 14, 2009, 1:42 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginsan2 View Post
For whatever reason, the cultural divide between Michigan (especially on the east coast) and the rest of the midwest is a tangible, almost physical thing. I don't know why this is, I have no evidence save for experience to offer on speculation. There's also a very clear difference, at least to my eyes, between Michigan/Ohio/Indiana and the rest of the midwest states on the other side of Lake Michigan. They're part of the Great Plains.
as a life long chicagoan, i wholly disagree. i've been all over the states of michigan, indiana, and ohio, in fact i've travelled FAR more extensively in those states than i have in my own home state of illinois, and i have never detected one iota of a tangible or physical division between those states and where i come from. we're all great lakes. your contention that chicago is a great plains city is beyond absurd.

Old Posted May 14, 2009, 2:30 PM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Well, Eastern Ohio is certainly nothing remotely close to the Midwest culturally, geographically, etc but that's just common sense and half the damn state. Western Ohio (particularly, Northwest Ohio) is certainly Midwestern without question. But then again, Rustbelt is a completely different world than the Great Plains (I don't consider Illinois as a "Great Plains" state). I consider anything west of the Mississippi "Great Plains."

Old Posted May 14, 2009, 4:21 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginsan2 View Post
^ As a person who grew up in West Michigan (as opposed to suburban Detroit like you did) I can tell you that you are incorrect.

I do feel that Michigan has a closer cultural connection to Indiana and Ohio than to any other midwestern state. But the notion that the rest of the midwest is part of the "Great Plains" must be your own, because that's not the impression I ever had. Wisconsin and Iowa certainly felt like a world away, but Michiganders can tell those from the true "Great Plains" states like Kansas and Nebraska; and Chicago was always seen as the big city just next door. West Michiganders, for the most part, have been blessed by Chicago's proximity.

In fact, whenever I go back to Michigan I find that most people (the ones who don't despise cities altogether, of which there are a lot) generally feel very closely tied to Chicago as the place to go if one wants to have a good time/show guests around who've visited from other parts of the country, etc. For example, just today my parents in Battle Creek are taking guests from northern California on a trip to Chicago--a typical trip our family takes out of town guests on. We basically never think of taking them to Detroit; in some cases, the trip to Chicago is by our guests' request.

Old Posted May 14, 2009, 4:29 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColDayMan View Post
Well, Eastern Ohio is certainly nothing remotely close to the Midwest culturally, geographically, etc but that's just common sense and half the damn state. Western Ohio (particularly, Northwest Ohio) is certainly Midwestern without question. But then again, Rustbelt is a completely different world than the Great Plains (I don't consider Illinois as a "Great Plains" state). I consider anything west of the Mississippi "Great Plains."
^ My brother has lived in the suburbs of Cleveland for a few years and tells me that people in the "eastside" of Cleveland tend to feel more closely aligned to the northeast than the midwest.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest