HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcbrickley View Post
I know this has been mentioned before, but it looks like Houston won the Texas Music Museum battle....

from the Austin Monitor today.....

"Asked by Council Member Alison Alter what type of museum would eventually grace the new pedestrian mall, Howard said that although hopes of a Texas Music Museum had been dashed by Houston-area legislators during the last legislative session, whatever is approved would be something complementary to the nearby Bullock and Blanton museums."

ERRRRRRR!
Houston didn't win a state music museum. Austin was just stopped from getting one. As far as I can tell it could still happen during the next Legislature session.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 1:21 AM
World Traveler

Well, we can still have a SRV museum or something... or an Austin Music History Museum.... or something?

Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 2:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
Houston didn't win a state music museum. Austin was just stopped from getting one. As far as I can tell it could still happen during the next Legislature session.
I hate games in politics.
Sucks.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 11:37 PM

Has anyone been by the site? Are they currently excavating for both office buildings or just the 1801 building across from Bullock? Also, the State's North Austin campus was scheduled to break ground December 1st.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2017, 4:07 PM

Quote:
City Council paved the way Thursday for a major state project that will transform three blocks of downtown from roadway into a grass-covered pedestrian mall.

Council voted to give the Texas Facilities Commission the OK to seize control of city right of way on Congress Avenue between 16th Street and Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard to construct the “Texas Mall” and the underground parking garage underneath.
https://www.austinmonitor.com/storie...-congress-ave/

Old Posted Jan 20, 2018, 12:21 AM

Here's a 32 page presentation that was made to the Downtown Commission on Wednesday as a Capitol Complex project update. There are some new renderings and lots of maps showing the three phases.

http://www.austintexas.gov/edims/document.cfm?id=291347

Last edited by The ATX; Jan 20, 2018 at 4:42 AM.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2018, 12:41 AM
World Traveler

The more I see these renderings the more I'm excited about the potential of this area.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2018, 4:17 AM

Wasn't there a groundbreaking ceremony held for the office buildings? There's no work going on atm.

Last edited by Urbannizer; Jan 20, 2018 at 6:19 PM.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2018, 6:30 AM

Well fuck me sideways! That’s amazing! Maybe we’ll actually get a real museum as well! I have a feeling the Capital Complex is going to be the next big booming part of Austin...following Seaholm/West Downtown.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2018, 5:52 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
Well fuck me sideways! That’s amazing! Maybe we’ll actually get a real museum as well! I have a feeling the Capital Complex is going to be the next big booming part of Austin...following Seaholm/West Downtown.
But it's still state offices. Once 5 o'clock strikes, that whole area will clear out so what would keep people there well into the night? Will there be retail, entertainment venues or restaurants? It's going to be nice and sure it's the next construction boom area but I'm not sure it's going to be filled with people after dark as most of the capitol complex isn't now.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2018, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
But it's still state offices. Once 5 o'clock strikes, that whole area will clear out so what would keep people there well into the night? Will there be retail, entertainment venues or restaurants? It's going to be nice and sure it's the next construction boom area but I'm not sure it's going to be filled with people after dark as most of the capitol complex isn't now.
It definitely has potential to get a lot of tourist traffic, farmer's markets, events, etc. I'm hopeful it could become a sort of hub for events being so close to UT and the CBD.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 4:38 AM

Quote:
Per Maass, there will be no direct access to any of the surrounding buildings via the garage. When workers or visitors park their cars, they will all have to emerge onto the Texas Mall via what he dubbed “portals,” which sorta look like a large subway entrances. You can see them there in the renderings above and below — they’re those glass boxes.

As Maass told the commission: “This was was done on purpose so that it would activate the space, so that the thousands of employees that work and park here are going to come out and hopefully have chance encounters, hopefully strike up conversations, perhaps go to the coffee shop that’s there…and just have interactions.”

If that sounds more like Jane Jacobs than your average state employee, Maass later admitted to me that he had, of late, “drank the kool-aid and became a new urbanist.”
Capitol Complex Master Plan’s First Phase Brings State-Sponsored Urbanism to Downtown Austin’s Dead Zone - TOWERS.net

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 7:15 PM

With regard to the critique of the large amount of parking this will bring to the area, I would counter that it makes the current set of Capitol Complex parking garages more unnecessary. Hopefully, this means that they are more likely to be redeveloped. If they are redeveloped, whatever gets built could have it's parking needs satisfied by this "Texas Mall" development. It would be less likely to need to include parking of it's own.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul78701 View Post
With regard to the critique of the large amount of parking this will bring to the area, I would counter that it makes the current set of Capitol Complex parking garages more unnecessary. Hopefully, this means that they are more likely to be redeveloped. If they are redeveloped, whatever gets built could have it's parking needs satisfied by this "Texas Mall" development. It would be less likely to need to include parking of it's own.
This. Tear those awful things down.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul78701 View Post
That's what I was hoping the whole point of this project was. Build new parking at the Capitol complex, tear down those old garages and turn that area into a meaningful new neighborhood. With Waterloo Park being revitalized and the Brackenridge Hospital area also being redeveloped, I feel like that whole area on San Jacinto/Trinity between MLK and 11th or so has the potential to be a great new neighborhood.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 5:06 PM

too bad they can't drop 15th street below grade. It will really divide this space and keep it from reaching it's full connected potential.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 3:57 AM
World Traveler

Yeah, but it'd be a tough sell for cost of doing that. It would certainly be cool to have a contiguous pedestrian mall...and do the same with MLK so the mall could connect to the UT pedestrian area along Speedway. That'd be awesome! Unbroken pedestrian space from 24th down to 11th street, potentially. Won't happen, but it'd be pretty great.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2018, 8:42 PM

It took an update to Google Earth to finally verify that site prep is underway. This is the 1800 block of Congress.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2018, 7:21 AM
Meh

No one ever willingly visits the capitol complex.

A part of me wishes we could just say the hell with it and move the Seaholm Substation there.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Feb 18, 2018, 8:53 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
No one ever willingly visits the capitol complex.

A part of me wishes we could just say the hell with it and move the Seaholm Substation there.
They could couple it with some sort of history of electricity in Texas museum lol.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin