HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 11:18 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAtown View Post
The Book Building (the red brick building at 140 E Houston) is going to be a boutique hotel. I don't think that has been announced yet, but it's some group who specializes in boutique hotels in historic buildings. Really small, not many rooms.

The Savoy Building (the limestone building connected on the west side of the Book Building) is being converted into creative office space. ScaleWorks just leased the whole building.

The Solo Serve Building (behind both of the above but along the river) is being demolished and a hotel is being built on the site.

The city is also completing the Main & Soledad street improvements from the 2012-2017 bond.

LOTS going on in that block!!!!
Thank you so much!

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txex06 View Post
The developer's aren't a couple old dudes. If and when this project is a success. When it provides​ a catalyst for future development. Who is to say Weston and the guys don't plan something new 5-10 years down the road? Something bigger and taller? Things are starting to shape up that way in my eyes.
Big press conference today at 1:30pm. I like the way Weston Urban handles its business.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByJ...ew?usp=sharing

Last edited by @sabydesign; Mar 29, 2017 at 5:23 PM. Reason: Pic won't appear

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 5:31 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by @sabydesign View Post
Big press conference today at 1:30pm. I like the way Weston Urban handles its business.

Thank you so much for this information. I wish I could be there. Houston street is really becoming something quite beautiful, and it already was. Spectacular.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 7:37 PM
James

Listening to Graham talk about how this is envisioned to do what the Frost tower in Austin did for their downtown was pretty inspiring. He has such heart and love for the city and the downtown area that we all clearly share as well.

I can't wait for it to start rising!

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 7:48 PM

Can't open this

Quote:
Originally Posted by @sabydesign View Post

Is there another link? All I get is a picture.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 2:50 AM

Exclamation New Frost Bank Tower breaks ground!

Here's a link to the news article from News 4 WOAI and MySA

http://news4sanantonio.com/news/loca...r-on-wednesday

http://www.mysanantonio.com/real-est...g-11037411.php

$142M Frost Tower breaks ground, raising expectations downtown

City and county officials gathered downtown Wednesday to celebrate the official kick off of construction for the new Frost Tower, a $142 million state-of-the-art office building described as a pivotal project in the long effort to revitalize downtown.

The 460,000 square-foot office building, which will serve as a new headquarters for Frost Bank, is the first new office tower to go up downtown since the Weston Centre in 1989. It’s being built by local developer Weston Urban as part of an intricate deal with the city and Frost Bank that’s designed to rejuvenate west downtown, an area burdened with too many run-down buildings and parking lots. Construction is expected to take about two years, said Weston Urban President Randy Smith.

Mayor Ivy Taylor said the 23-story tower is a “significant step forward” for downtown. It was designed by renowned international architecture firm Pelli Clarke Pelli and local firm Alamo Architects, and it will boost downtown’s supply of upscale office space by 31 percent, from its current level of 1.4 million square feet, according to data from Transwestern, a commercial real estate firm.

“You all have heard me talk about my vision of San Antonio being a globally competitive city with opportunity for everyone,” Taylor said. “That means we have to support growing businesses, expand job opportunities and make our urban core a strong and attractive destination. This project does all of that.”

Construction crews are already laying the groundwork for the tower, which is at the southwest corner of Travis and Flores streets, in downtown’s growing tech district. It was approved by the city’s Historic and Design Review Commission earlier this month. Frost Bank will occupy 280,000 square feet of the tower, with the rest open to other businesses.

The tower has been in the works since 2013, when former Mayor Julián Castro — who attended Wednesday’s ceremony — was encouraging downtown development with his Decade of Downtown initiative. In 2015, City Council cleared the way for the tower’s construction when it approved a complicated public-private partnership with Weston Urban and Frost Bank.

As part of the deal, Frost Bank has sold its current headquarters at 100 W. Houston St. to the city, which plans to consolidate its administrative offices there. The city and Frost are selling the site of the tower and another 6.3 acres in west downtown to Weston Urban, giving the developer a broad canvas to remake the area. The properties include the Municipal Plaza Building, where City Council meetings are held.

At Wednesday’s ceremony, City Manager Sheryl Sculley said the partnership was a win-win for the city, Frost Bank and Weston Urban, which was co-founded by Graham Weston, who also co-created Geekdom and Rackspace.

“There are no new net costs to the city, and in fact we anticipate savings over time,” Sculley said. “The transaction will allow the city to reengineer our office needs and create more efficiency within the city government.”

The city and county have both provided incentives for the tower’s construction. Weston Urban is expected to get about $1 million from the city, documents show. The county is contributing about $3.5 million worth of incentives, County Judge Nelson Wolff said on Wednesday.

The county is also leading a $175 million project to revitalize San Pedro Creek, which runs alongside the Frost Tower site, turning it into a decorated walking path similar to the River Walk.

In his remarks on Wednesday, Graham Weston said he was “surprised” that he has invested so much in downtown real estate. He said he had no interest in buying more land downtown when Castro was encouraging development in the area around 2010.

But Weston said he soon realized that investing in downtown was a good way to achieve his dream of creating a tech community in San Antonio.

“How do we do to San Antonio what Dell did to Austin?” he said, referring to the computer company that helped jump-start Austin’s tech scene. “How do we put out an invitation to other developers to do the same, other tech companies to do the same? With that idea I really changed my perspective 180 degrees and said, ‘Let’s go all-in on downtown.’”

rwebner@express-news.net

@rwebner

Last edited by ArizonaGuy; Mar 30, 2017 at 2:56 AM. Reason: Added link and story text from MySA

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 3:43 AM

It reminds me of an unfolded Washington Monument. I'm looking forward to seeing this structure and the other planned buildings rise, truly a great addition to the San Antonio skyline.
2020 S. A. Pop 1.59 million/ Metro 2.64 million/ASA corridor 5 million Census undercount city proper. San Antonio economy and largest economic sectors. Annual contribution towards GDP. U.S. DOD$48.5billion/Manufacturing $40.5 billion/Healthcare-Biosciences $40 billion/Finance-Insurance $20 billion/Tourism $15 billion/ Technology $10 billion. S.A./ Austin: Tech $25 billion/Manufacturing $11 billion/ Tourism $9 billion.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 6:03 AM

Hopefully they try and modernize the old Frost building! That black facade is super ugly. Looking forward to this new building though, definitely an exciting time for SA.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 2:16 PM
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by theOGalexd View Post
Hopefully they try and modernize the old Frost building! That black facade is super ugly. Looking forward to this new building though, definitely an exciting time for SA.
I said that too!

It needs a makeover for sure. I wish they could put retail on the bottom.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 4:19 PM

[IMG]Frost Bank Ground breaking by Raul Medina III, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 9:45 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Please stay on topic.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2017, 10:44 PM

Rebar is sticking out of the ground. Btw does anyone have an info on the number of tower cranes they plan to use?

Old Posted Apr 5, 2017, 7:58 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
Rebar is sticking out of the ground. Btw does anyone have an info on the number of tower cranes they plan to use?
My guess would be two. One for the tower and one for the parking garage.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Apr 7, 2017, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
My guess would be two. One for the tower and one for the parking garage.
I was thinking about 3 or 4, but 2 cranes sounds reasonable.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2017, 1:45 AM

Did they add another floor?

Is the Frost Tower now 24 floors?

Go to TheFrostTower.com and go to the "building layout" section.

It seems that they may have added another floor.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2017, 4:32 AM
Meh

Well, if you count the layout they have shown there, there are still only 23 floors. It's possible they may have practiced that goofy superstitious tradition of skipping the 13th floor. Sometimes the 13th floor is "skipped" - they actually number it as the 14th floor instead of the 13th. That causes a building to have one more floor listed than it actually has. If you count on that layout they have starting from the bottom, you'll land on the listed 17th floor, but it actually comes up as the 16th floor. The other possibility is these are simply the leasable floors - the levels where the office space is, and they omitted the lobby from the layout. The superstitious tradition of skipping the 13th floor is usually observed for hotels and not office buildings, so it would be kind of strange if they did.

Thou shall not indict

Last edited by KevinFromTexas; Apr 11, 2017 at 4:43 AM.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2017, 9:39 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeSAView View Post
Is the Frost Tower now 24 floors?

Go to TheFrostTower.com and go to the "building layout" section.

It seems that they may have added another floor.
It does not matter. Height of the structure is what matters. It could be 30 floors and the height not be different.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2017, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Well, if you count the layout they have shown there, there are still only 23 floors. It's possible they may have practiced that goofy superstitious tradition of skipping the 13th floor. Sometimes the 13th floor is "skipped" - they actually number it as the 14th floor instead of the 13th. That causes a building to have one more floor listed than it actually has. If you count on that layout they have starting from the bottom, you'll land on the listed 17th floor, but it actually comes up as the 16th floor. The other possibility is these are simply the leasable floors - the levels where the office space is, and they omitted the lobby from the layout. The superstitious tradition of skipping the 13th floor is usually observed for hotels and not office buildings, so it would be kind of strange if they did.
I believe One Riverwalk and Tower Life do not have 13th Floors--and they are office buildings. It's a pretty common superstition to leave out the 13th Floor in numbering. I imagine the goal may have been to make Frost Tower appear taller.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 2:00 PM
James

It has an official website for leasing information and pictures!

http://thefrosttower.com/

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 6:25 PM
JACKinBeantown

Nice website.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio