HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 10:10 PM
Illustrator, editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatt View Post
a city i don't know much.thanks for sharing.
You´re welcome. Unfortunately I don't have more pics from Guatamale City, but I have a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZeWq6YG1Rw

All my diagram drawings - more than 700!:
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?14670510

Old Posted Oct 26, 2017, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightsky View Post
It depends on where you go. Crime rate is really high in Guatemala City and everywhere you see armed guards. We didn't want to walk around in the old town after dark, but the modern Zona Viva, where our hotel was, felt very safe. Even though it is only blocks away from shantytowns.
Parts of San Salvador is dangerous, but not the whole city. People even have their doors open in the evening to cool their houses in the safer areas! Small towns on the countryside in El Salvador felt very safe, even after dark! It is probably more likely that you will get robbed in the "safe" European or American city where you live, at least if you live in Sweden.
I took 5 trips to Central America between 2004-2007 and I used the chicken buses and riding in the backs of pick-ups to get around, oftentimes I was the only Gringo on board, not too surprising, as Americans have been deemed, fairly or unfairly, the least adventuresome travelers in the world. But aren't we Home of the Brave?

I never had one bad incident in all my travels there, always felt safe even using the chicken buses in El Salvador. I always feel safer when I'm around the poorest of the poor, and I've never met more honest people anywhere. I'd climb aboard a crowded chicken bus, give the fare collector a large bill, and every single time, surprisingly, I got the exact change back. I would almost deem that stupid honesty! Sheesh!

Living in Las Vegas, I have to smirk when so many that come here think they've landed in the safest tourist destination in the U.S. or World, and perhaps after this recent massacre, tourists will become more adventuresome, perhaps take a trip to Central America, and consequently, laugh at the U.S. Consular's Reports when they return home, as I've done.

So many Central American cities seem so spread out to me, and don't really know why. Take the Plaza Constitution in Guatemala City (I stayed 3 blocks from there), why isn't it built up around that area? Why the disjointed density? You would think that there's be high density all around that plaza, but no! And if not office buildings, then residential towers.

I do realize Guatemala City was struck by a biggie Earthquake, back in the 70's I believe, and when you're racing to put up housing, replace buildings, they're certainly not going to restore the Colonial splendor as it would be too time consuming.

Thanks for the photo tour!

Old Posted Oct 26, 2017, 1:39 PM

Excellent work. Keep it up!

Old Posted Oct 27, 2017, 1:06 PM
Illustrator, editor

Thanks for comments! Yes, Guatamala City is really a sprawl city! The area around Plaza Constituciton is not very urban, even a bit countryside (at least at the market), while areas like Zona Viva and many others have grown up that makes you feel you are in a big metropolis! Overall I think it is a really interesting, diverse and it really does have beautiful colonial buildings. The long pedestrian street is nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMBY View Post
I'd climb aboard a crowded chicken bus, give the fare collector a large bill, and every single time, surprisingly, I got the exact change back. I would almost deem that stupid honesty! Sheesh!

Thanks for the photo tour!
That is exactly true, that is unusual in most other countries. When I went to markets in small towns I always got the exact amount back and people where very polite!

All my diagram drawings - more than 700!:
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?14670510

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos