HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 10:36 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Here's one diesel light rail system: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/River_Line_(NJ_Transit)

It has both a street-running section and separate sections that are shared with heavy trains. I have heard that this is not yet permitted by Transport Canada but I'm not sure if that is true.

The line was built based on ridership estimates of 5,500 passengers per day, which is the kind of target that I think could easily be hit along a route in Halifax. The cost recovery is only 7%, not including debt servicing. On the one hand this seems really bad but on the other it is an indication of how much more American cities are sometimes able to invest in their infrastructure. In Halifax there is often an insistence that infrastructure needs to nearly pay for itself, which does not make sense as a bar for projects that have significant public benefits. Most of the roads in Halifax have a 0% cost recovery in terms of pay per use, but they are still valuable and worth having.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 11:41 PM
As seen on SSC ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
q12's suggestion above could simply be added as another stop on the route. Yes, it would add extra time to retrace its pathway to/from the dockyard, and there would have to be another siding or duplicate track added, but it's a possibility if the need is that great.
I'm not sure if you're saying what it sounds like you're saying, but nobody in their right mind is going to take a train from Bedford heading to downtown if it makes a 7km (return) detour all the way to the shipyard and back mid way. That's the equivalent of going all the way from Micmac Mall to Park Lane.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2017, 3:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
I'm not sure if you're saying what it sounds like you're saying, but nobody in their right mind is going to take a train from Bedford heading to downtown if it makes a 7km (return) detour all the way to the shipyard and back mid way. That's the equivalent of going all the way from Micmac Mall to Park Lane.
From my post: "if the need is that great", you could:
(1) Add extra runs at rush hour that terminate at and return from Dockyard.
(2) Have separate "express" runs that go directly downtown, along with "regular" runs that stop at the dockyard, then backtrack and go downtown, which would cover dockyard and also allow a north end to south end traverse (as suggested by q12).

Since details are somewhat scarce at the moment, one just has to use their imagination to see what the possibilities could be.

Also, FWIW, it would not be the equivalent of going from MMM to PLM, as it would be traversed on an uninterrupted rail run, with no bridges or other traffic bottlenecks to contend with, as you would by car/bus, or even bike.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure