HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Aug 28, 2014, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin1971 View Post
The new extension will include 3 dual-use gates able to accomodate 3 widebodies at the same time.
Speaking of dual-use gates, how many do we have now? The last time I was at ABIA was in January, when they were building that closed-off hallway so that Gate 3 could become dual-use. Gate 2 was the other dual-use gate.

I noticed in the photo posted by KevinFrom Texas in this post that there are three jetways at the end of the east concourse.

In January, Gate 2 was the jetway that angles towards the roadway in front of the terminal. Gate 3 was the jetway that has that Delta plane parked at it. But that middle jetway that juts straight out from the end of the east concourse wasn't there. Are all three of those jetways dual-use?

Old Posted Aug 28, 2014, 12:40 AM

[

Last edited by Austin1971; Jan 24, 2020 at 10:23 PM.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2014, 3:17 AM

^^OK Thanks. It does look like some jetways have been moved recently, though.

Here's how it looked before:

Old Posted Aug 29, 2014, 5:10 PM

East Infill Vid

[

Old Posted Sep 3, 2014, 2:55 AM

I dunno if it's just me but has anybody else noticed they're really upping the advertisements for the Aeromar flight--like they're in the terminal, on the side of the airport visible when dropping people off, at the 71/183 interchange, the website...

Definitely feels like it's a last-ditch effort to boost ridership, which--It might work, but I think really to be competitive with the other routes they're gonna need to cut prices a bit.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2014, 1:32 PM
constructor extrodinaire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digatisdi View Post
I dunno if it's just me but has anybody else noticed they're really upping the advertisements for the Aeromar flight--like they're in the terminal, on the side of the airport visible when dropping people off, at the 71/183 interchange, the website...

Definitely feels like it's a last-ditch effort to boost ridership, which--It might work, but I think really to be competitive with the other routes they're gonna need to cut prices a bit.
I have to wonder why it seems like Austin's Mexico routes always seem to have an issue. Are they just not competitive with Houston/SA route prices? Or just low interest in travel from Mexicans to Austin?

Old Posted Sep 3, 2014, 8:21 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

I don't know if there just isn't much demand for a Mexico City route from here. Southwest Airlines is starting daily service to Cancun so there's obviously a demand for that. It's possible it could have something to do with prices but even then you would think there would be more passengers than there are flying that route.

In a way I kinda think they should end it, free up the space for a more productive route.

It's cool that they are adding more routes to LAX and San Francisco.

http://www.austintexas.gov/news/more...80%99s-airport

It's also interesting that they are adding Thanksgiving holiday service to St. Louis. I'm guessing there must be quite a few families with connections to that city.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 5:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
I don't know if there just isn't much demand for a Mexico City route from here. Southwest Airlines is starting daily service to Cancun so there's obviously a demand for that. It's possible it could have something to do with prices but even then you would think there would be more passengers than there are flying that route.

In a way I kinda think they should end it, free up the space for a more productive route.

It's cool that they are adding more routes to LAX and San Francisco.

http://www.austintexas.gov/news/more...80%99s-airport

It's also interesting that they are adding Thanksgiving holiday service to St. Louis. I'm guessing there must be quite a few families with connections to that city.
Maybe if Mexico City had some beaches and package vacation deals, the flights would fill up.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 1:13 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
Maybe if Mexico City had some beaches and package vacation deals, the flights would fill up.
Maybe these flights to Mexico City will fill up once SW can legally sell thru tickets from Love Field in Dallas.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 5:35 PM

W

Old Posted Sep 6, 2014, 1:41 AM

Quote:
I think it was Austin1971 that posted a link to ABIA's incentive program and I remember the 2 international destinations that were targeted were Tokyo and Mexico City. Aeromar started the service to Mexico City,so they're getting some kind of financial incentives, but in order for them not to have to return those incentives, I believe they have to offer the service for at least a year.

I can't remember if Aeromar's service began last September or October, but once they've been here a whole year, they might very well discontinue the service.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2014, 4:06 AM

Random ABIA photos from 09/02/2014 & 09/05/2014:

Old Posted Sep 7, 2014, 4:26 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

That's going to be a beautiful space as well as large. We're going from a cramped makeshift customs to a massive spacious customs in less than a year.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2014, 6:40 PM

Old Posted Sep 8, 2014, 7:41 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

It would be cool if they built another oval shaped section on the other side where they have the bridge so the terminal would match and be perfectly proportioned.

From the ABIA website

http://www.austintexas.gov/page/cons...-projects#east

It also would make more sense if they added 9 gates rather than 7 so all together it would have the same amount as the west wing. What with how rapidly the airport is growing, 7 Seems to be on the low end. I know part of it is to have more space for wide bodied international flights but they should still be able to fit more than 7 gates.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2014, 8:34 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
It also would make more sense if they added 9 gates rather than 7 so all together it would have the same amount as the west wing. What with how rapidly the airport is growing, 7 Seems to be on the low end. I know part of it is to have more space for wide bodied international flights but they should still be able to fit more than 7 gates.
Wide bodied jets hold twice as many passengers, requiring twice as many seats in the concourse, and twice as much space. Therefore, due to space limitation within the terminal concourse, there has to be fewer gates.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2014, 12:31 AM

Before I forget (read: get sucked into my Russian translation homework) has anybody on here calculated the percent-full numbers for Allegiant?

More mathematically-inclined people than I tend to run the numbers on here for BA monthly but I don't think I've seen anything on how they're doing.

It also looks like they've installed the escalator at customs

Old Posted Sep 9, 2014, 2:42 AM

Quote:
Before I forget (read: get sucked into my Russian translation homework) has anybody on here calculated the percent-full numbers for Allegiant?

More mathematically-inclined people than I tend to run the numbers on here for BA monthly but I don't think I've seen anything on how they're doing.

It also looks like they've installed the escalator at customs
If my calculations are right, the load factor for July was around 74%.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2014, 3:07 AM

Quote:
has anybody on here calculated the percent-full numbers for Allegiant?
Allegiant's service to Las Vegas only operates 4 times per week. They're using MD80's which seat 166. I looked at all the Allegiant flights for July on Flight Aware and there were 17 roundtrips (34 total flights.)

34 x 166 = 5,644 available seats. Total passengers carried during July was 4,978. 4,978 divided by 5,644 = 0.88, so the load factor was 88%

Old Posted Sep 9, 2014, 4:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyk View Post
If my calculations are right, the load factor for July was around 74%.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarMike View Post
Allegiant's service to Las Vegas only operates 4 times per week. They're using MD80's which seat 166. I looked at all the Allegiant flights for July on Flight Aware and there were 17 roundtrips (34 total flights.)

34 x 166 = 5,644 available seats. Total passengers carried during July was 4,978. 4,978 divided by 5,644 = 0.88, so the load factor was 88%
Thanks y'all

I'm glad to see they're doing well. Looks like Aeromar is the only new airline with issues on this front.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin