HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 10:27 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post
The folks at city hall have always tried to make Austin and the metro appear small.. My friend in Atlanta jokes that ATL will count counties that are in other time zones to increase its population number.
City hall has nothing to do with metropolitan area classification, although they always welcome new counties being added because it shows the strength of their city.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2017, 1:42 AM
World Traveler

Yeah, it seems to me that there are several counties not included...strange.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2017, 1:51 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
they seem to only be including counties in MSAs, not other (even closer) counties. Which is odd.
Maybe they have some form of funding agreement with all the MSAs (or their Regional Council of Governments) and not with just counties - that's the only reason I can think of for not including those other counties.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2017, 6:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
City hall has nothing to do with metropolitan area classification, although they always welcome new counties being added because it shows the strength of their city.
Arguing with Spaceman is a fruitless endeavor.

"Spaceman" was one of my favorite songs of the 90s. If that is where he got his name from, I have a new found respect for him. If not, I'm sure he doesn't give a shit.

Video Link

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Last edited by The ATX; Aug 12, 2017 at 6:52 AM.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2017, 8:39 PM

Has anyone heard an update for when the parking garage might be finished? The last couple of times I have flown, I had to park at the freight terminal. Also, are all (or most) of the surface lots going to be turned into garages? Lastly, if they do expand the terminal Northward and takeout the two existing garages; where the heck is everyone going to park?

Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 3:07 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskimo33 View Post
Has anyone heard an update for when the parking garage might be finished?
Only that it's next year. The admin building opens in 2019.

Quote:
Also, are all (or most) of the surface lots going to be turned into garages?
There is no plan for that now but it's possible that could be a possibility when the next master plan is released. I would imagine if they add 20 new gates to the main terminal then they would.

Quote:
Lastly, if they do expand the terminal Northward and takeout the two existing garages; where the heck is everyone going to park?
Only the the smaller short-term garage would be bulldozed. You would still have two new giant garages.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brando View Post
Only that it's next year. The admin building opens in 2019.

There is no plan for that now but it's possible that could be a possibility when the next master plan is released. I would imagine if they add 20 new gates to the main terminal then they would.

Only the the smaller short-term garage would be bulldozed. You would still have two new giant garages.
I asked earlier, sorry for the repeat question. Does anyone know why the new garage has a different look then the CONRAC one? Would be nice if they matched I would think. I get that it has offices etc...

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 1:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speculator View Post
I asked earlier, sorry for the repeat question. Does anyone know why the new garage has a different look then the CONRAC one? Would be nice if they matched I would think. I get that it has offices etc...
Just my two cents, but continuity doesn't seem to matter with any airport expansion. Time between expansions would lead to different developers with different designs or perhaps updates to original expansion designs due to accelerated unpredicted growth. The terminal expansion doesn't match the existing side and if it did, it would not be as ambitious and functional. The infill looks nice but looks like an add on. It would be nice if there was a need for a duplicate on the other side. If all the parking garages looked the same, I might never find where I parked my car, so variation might not be such a bad thing. For me, if nothing matches but looks good on their own, the Frankensteining of ABIA isn't a bad thing. Function trumps continuity.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 1:51 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speculator View Post
The garage going up on lot A is just a regular garage aside from the offices on the west side. The south side of the newly completed garage is basically offices/administration for all the car rental companies which is why it doesn't look like most other garages. It'll probably help people who aren't familiar with the airport figure out which one is the car rental facility. Both new garages will look similar in design when looking at them from the north side when driving into the airport. It's the old short term garage that will stand out.

The one thing I could not figure out with the possible plan to expand the terminal north over the short term garage was how you were going to get people to the existing terminal during construction. They will have to close the current road that passes next to the terminal.

THEN I saw this in what Austin 1971 posted:

These could bring people from a new road area in front of the new garages to and from the terminal. That would just be a lot of people to move back and forth. You have to wonder if that tram would still be useful once a north terminal expansion is completed and people can walk into the terminal from the new garages but you never know. Some airports have trams to the car rental facility but that's usually when the car rental facility is far away.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 2:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brando View Post
Some airports have trams to the car rental facility but that's usually when the car rental facility is far away.
Such as Newark where I fly to frequently. The trams are easy to get to from the terminal and stop at each of the rental car locations. The hardest part is getting the rental to and from the airport. Its funny how a tram system can make cruddy old Newark feel a bit more modern.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2017, 2:44 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
Such as Newark where I fly to frequently. The trams are easy to get to from the terminal and stop at each of the rental car locations. The hardest part is getting the rental to and from the airport. Its funny how a tram system can make cruddy old Newark feel a bit more modern.
I feel like the rental car center in San Fransisco was 10 miles away from the actual airport. It was a really long tram ride to the terminal.

A tram at the Austin airport makes a lot more sense if they build a new terminal instead of expanding the main terminal. The tough thing is you would really want trams from the entrances of the airports to the rental car facility and another tram that goes from one terminal to another for people that are already through security. A lot of airports don't build both lines at the same time. Bush airport went 30 years without a tram within the security checkpoints and I believe LAX just built theres. I wonder if the two routes could share the same physical rail but go to different stops? Maybe that is against regulations since they would rely on automation to make sure trams from outside the terminal take people to a stop within the airport security checkpoints.

THEN AGAIN! The plan to build another terminal requires a tunnel be built under the taxiways for cars so maybe they can make it wide enough to fit a tram line. It doesn't have to be a full subway system like Bush airport but it could just go underground to cross the terminal grounds and then come back up.

The tram line would start at the CONRAC rental car/garage. It would head toward the new garage/staff administration office, the west end of the main terminal, head underground along with the road between the terminal and west taxiway, new central terminal, new central terminal garage and then back underground to CONRAC.

The terminal stops don't need to be built into the buildings themselves. They typically put the rail stops next to the terminal and build glass walls around them with escalators. I guess they could build it into a new central terminal since it would be built from scratch.

It would be nice to have an elevated straight rail within the security checkpoint that would just be a straight shot from the main terminal to a new central terminal. I'm just not sure how many supports it would have to put down through the center of the taxiways and you can't have planes that close to giant concrete columns. If they could figure it out then they could close a few gates at the very center of the main terminal and run the train out from there to a new terminal. You could live without those gates if you are building an entire new terminal.

It's fun to think about but a train system like that would easily cost a billion dollars. I'm just a huge proponent of building a new terminal and not further expanding the main terminal. It would probably be a lot cheaper considering the logistical complications of bulldozing the short term garage and building between the big garages and the main terminal. It would save a lot of money because it could be built a lot quicker and it would be much simpler. BUT it would cost more overtime to run two terminals then to just expand the main terminal. Yea, you would need to build a garage for the new terminal but you would also build a new garage if you are expanding the main terminal by such a huge amount. You would also have to demolish the existing roadways next to the main terminal and re-build them next to the two new garages. That wouldn't cost more than building two underground tunnels and roadways at a new terminal but it's not a ridiculously huge difference. Of course, the new terminal also necessitates the previously mentioned two tram lines and two underground tunnels for the roadways.

The really great thing about a massive expansion (no matter what kind) is it will really push for a mass transit line from the airport. You don't need a train from the inside of a city to an airport because of the passengers. It's the added airport employees that clog roadways and increase the parking burden at the airports. There is currently a plan for a hard rail route that shares the red line track in downtown but keeps east instead of cutting north and then cuts through what I assume is private property to the airport. It would intersect with the Red Line, a the future green line which would also start at the downtown station, pass 183 and head north past what will be the next big wave of development and then cut east to Manor and Eldgin. There is also a plan (but not being researched) for a line that would run with the green line but it would keep going north to Round Rock. I think investing in commuter rail instead of shorter run light rail is a better bet. It's cheaper and can help with mass congestion by giving access to people of multiple regions and cutting through multiple parts of the city. Light rail is just too damn expensive and the city transportation network isn't good enough for light rail to be as successful as you would want it to be.

...sorry. wife is working late.

Last edited by brando; Aug 19, 2017 at 2:54 AM.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2017, 5:32 AM

Cranes are up for ABIA the new 6,000 parking garage and Administration building.

Plus a webcam:
http://workzonecam.com/projects/austincommercial1

Old Posted Aug 22, 2017, 5:54 AM

This wide shot shows five tower cranes.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/abia/pho...=page_internal

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2017, 3:36 PM

SIAP: http://workzonecam.com/projects/aust...ge/workzonecam

Wish it had a wider view...

Old Posted Aug 24, 2017, 11:45 PM

Allegiant will begin service to Austin from Rickenbacker next year
By Marla Rose
The Columbus Dispatch
Posted Aug 24, 2017 at 3:00 AM
The next nonstop destination from Rickenbacker Airport looks a lot like the last one announced for John Glenn Columbus International Airport.

It’s Austin.

Allegiant Air is announcing new service to Texas’ capital city Thursday, almost exactly a month after Frontier Airlines announced service from Columbus to Austin.

Read more:
http://www.dispatch.com/news/2017082...cker-next-year

Old Posted Aug 29, 2017, 4:11 PM

Southwest Airlines bringing more nonstop flights to Austin

From the Austin Business Journal:

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/news/2017/08/29/southwest-airlines-bringing-more-nonstop-flights.html

Southwest Airlines Co. will add more nonstop flights from Austin to California and Indianapolis next year....For Austin, it means new daily nonstop service from Austin-Bergstrom International Airport to California’s Sacramento International Airport and the San Francisco International Airport, plus Sunday-only service to Indianapolis. The new Southwest flights from Austin to Sacramento, San Francisco and Indianapolis will begin on April 8, 2018, and tickets will only be sold via the airline's website.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2017, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoes View Post
From the Austin Business Journal:

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/news/2017/08/29/southwest-airlines-bringing-more-nonstop-flights.html

Southwest Airlines Co. will add more nonstop flights from Austin to California and Indianapolis next year....For Austin, it means new daily nonstop service from Austin-Bergstrom International Airport to California’s Sacramento International Airport and the San Francisco International Airport, plus Sunday-only service to Indianapolis. The new Southwest flights from Austin to Sacramento, San Francisco and Indianapolis will begin on April 8, 2018, and tickets will only be sold via the airline's website.
Sunday only? OH COME ON. Can I please just get a MWF or a MTh combo so I can travel direct for work?

Old Posted Aug 29, 2017, 10:37 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

How many diverts has ABIA handled from Houston?

Old Posted Aug 30, 2017, 8:18 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
How many diverts has ABIA handled from Houston?
I found myself wondering the same thing...anyone know?

Old Posted Aug 30, 2017, 9:19 AM
Meh

Speaking of the airport expansions, the parking garage elevations were released some time ago. They're files 90 and 91. The garage also contains 6 levels of admin office space.

https://abc.austintexas.gov/web/perm...rtyRSN=5391200

The admin section is 6 floors and 78 feet 6 inches to the elevator penthouse.

The parking garage is 7 levels and is 98 feet 11 inches tall to the elevator penthouse.

I wasn't able to find anything for the terminal expansion, but I know that the orginal section is 86 feet and the expansion looks to be around 15 to 20 feet higher than that.

Thou shall not indict

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin