HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Dec 15, 2009, 8:10 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Im sure we will hear some things when the new year starts up. Usually news always increases about the airport in Jan.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2009, 7:54 PM

Just a couple of aerial shots shortly after takeoff on December 22, 2009

Baggage claim with guitars and Christmas decorations on December 26, 2009

Old Posted Jan 11, 2010, 10:07 AM
Meh

Quote:
Friday, January 8, 2010
Slightly more traveled to Austin in Nov.
Austin Business Journal

Austin-Bergstrom International Airport experienced a 1 percent bump in passenger traffic in November last year compared with November 2008, according to the latest report from the airport.

http://austin.bizjournals.com/austin...l?surround=lfn

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jan 11, 2010, 2:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
Seems to me that it would be easier to come to Austin than to Dallas or Atlanta since they are hubs. Austin is no hub at least not yet ( Jetblue ).
Yes, JetBlue would be terrific. It's far and away the best airline in terms of comfort.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2010, 2:04 AM

I thought Jet Blue wanted to make Austin a connecting hub?

Old Posted Feb 17, 2010, 12:22 AM
Closed account

Austin-Bergstrom was voted by Airports Council International the best airport in North America period, and second best in the the world among airports with 5-15 million annual passengers.

http://www.aci.aero/cda/aci_common/d...^35015_666_2__

Old Posted Feb 17, 2010, 3:03 AM

I personally don't travel to airports the size of ABIA so I can't compare it to anywhere except Colubus Ohio's airport which is actually pretty nice but not as easy to navigate. For instance, getting to and from the rental car booths.
ABIA's layout makes it seem much smaller than it is. Anyone remember the long walk through the tunnel to get to the farthest gates at the smaller old airport. Uphill, downhill... The folks who designed ABIA deserve this honor.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2010, 3:07 AM
Closed account

Ever notice how happy people seem at ABIA, at least in the terminal? There's just something about the atmosphere. It's a fun place. At most other airports, people seem much more rushed and stressed looking.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2010, 6:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Denson View Post
Ever notice how happy people seem at ABIA, at least in the terminal? There's just something about the atmosphere. It's a fun place. At most other airports, people seem much more rushed and stressed looking.
Well, ABIA has almost 0 security wait, tons of natural light and tall ceilings, and always seems empty despite every gate being occupied. Indeed, that's a pretty great set of circumstances to a traveler. If only the planes were that spacious and empty!

I honestly don't know how ABIA makes the traffic counts that it does. It really always seems so deserted compared to other airports, and has no late night (and few evening) flights.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2010, 6:35 AM

Hub airports like Midway in Chicago are the worst. My last connecting flight there seemed like miles from gate to gate and you don't have time to enjoy the "scenery" rushing to get your connection. I never see anyone enjoying the rocking chairs throughout the terminals. ABIA ia a destination airport and since we all know how cool Austin is, the party begins once the plane lands.
8 million passengers per year, 4 million departures, about 10K per day, 150 avg per plane, guessing, how many commercial flights depart and land per day?

Old Posted Feb 17, 2010, 3:04 PM

Hard to agree with this award. Luggage service at ABIA is the consistently slowest of any airport I've flown into more than once; lots of walking (for those of us with trouble walking, this is a downside); awful shuttle-buses from parking lots...

Old Posted Feb 17, 2010, 3:25 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
Hub airports like Midway in Chicago are the worst.
O'Hare is much worse. I get lost every time I go through there underneath that awful dinosaur skeleton.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2010, 9:42 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
O'Hare is much worse. I get lost every time I go through there underneath that awful dinosaur skeleton.
ABIA has 25 gates in just one terminal. O'Hare has four operational passenger terminals: 1, 2, 3 and 5.
Terminal 1 has 51 gates, Terminal 2 has 30 gates, Terminal 3 has 80 gates, Terminal 5 has 21 gates. That's a total of 182 gates. That makes O'Hare 728% larger than ABIA.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2010, 9:46 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
I wasn't commenting on ABIA... I was responding to The Genral's comment about Midway and that I believe O'Hare to be the worse of the Chicago airports.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2010, 9:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1EK View Post
Hard to agree with this award. Luggage service at ABIA is the consistently slowest of any airport I've flown into more than once; lots of walking (for those of us with trouble walking, this is a downside); awful shuttle-buses from parking lots...
Baggage does arrive on the slow side but I always figured it was because I got to Baggage Claim so fast. In other airports you have to walk for a while and by then the luggage is not far behind.

What's wrong with the shuttle buses? Never had a problem with them.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2010, 3:49 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookem View Post
Well, ABIA has almost 0 security wait, tons of natural light and tall ceilings, and always seems empty despite every gate being occupied. Indeed, that's a pretty great set of circumstances to a traveler. If only the planes were that spacious and empty!

I honestly don't know how ABIA makes the traffic counts that it does. It really always seems so deserted compared to other airports, and has no late night (and few evening) flights.
I've always had a wait at security, but never unreasonable. And the terminal always seems busy and fairly crowded when I'm there. But it's never been totally crazy like DFW, Hobby, and Love (for example).

Old Posted Feb 18, 2010, 3:52 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1EK View Post
That's strange...I've logged probably at least 100 flights into ABIA, and my luggage is always coming around the carousel by the time I get to it, and the shuttles have always worked fine. That's not to say you haven't experienced some problems. If walking out to the parking lot, though, it can be a really long walk.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2010, 3:48 PM

Even when I take my sweet time getting to the carousel, I always end up waiting for bags - if I'm at the back of the plane, hit the restroom on the way out, it's usually a 15 minute wait for the first bag; regardless of airline (this has happened on Continental, American, Southwest, and JetBlue; even United and Delta back in the day). It's interminable - and much slower than at other airports I've picked up luggage at - and, no, it's not that the walk is that much shorter (it's not; many other airports have much shorter walks to baggage claim - DFW, for instance).

Old Posted Feb 18, 2010, 3:51 PM

As for the parking shuttles, again, interminable wait at some times; a long and tortuous path to get back to the terminal even if the wait isn't that bad. Very poor design; I am thankful my company sprung for frequent parker discounts for all of us at one of the off-site parking locations so I no longer have to deal with those awful shuttles.

(Also, if you're talking about a gold-plated home-run win for rail transit, parking shuttles are the obvious case - the shuttlebuses go the same route every single trip; they run ALL THE TIME; the buses are uncomfortable (swaying, bouncing); etc. - thankfully some airports have finally figured this out, like JFK).

Old Posted Feb 23, 2010, 8:14 PM

New Airline For Austin...Sorta new

Tuesday, February 23, 2010, 9:00am CST |
Modified: Tuesday, February 23, 2010, 10:32am
Austin-Bergstrom adds nonstop service to Branson, Mo.
Austin Business Journal
Austin-Bergstrom International Airport is adding a new nonstop flight to its daily schedule, officials said today.

The local airport hosted a press conference to announce the service this morning at 10 a.m. The new flight to Branson Airport will be the airport's 37th non-stop destination and second in that state after St. Louis.

The Branson AirExpress will be operated by ExpressJet Airlines and take off May 17. The flights will run five days a week and start at $49.

Austin-Bergstrom served 8.2 million passengers last year.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin