HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Sep 18, 2014, 5:02 PM

I

Last edited by Austin1971; Jan 24, 2020 at 10:21 PM.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2014, 3:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin1971 View Post
I've noticed that if you build a flight itinerary for BA flying out of DFW or IAH they do not offer connecting thru AUS as an option. Wonder why that is?
Well I could understand Houston; United doesn't codeshare with BA, and AA doesn't fly between Austin and Houston. As for DFW....I guess it's weird to have to fly to a smaller airport from a major hub to fly an intercontinental flight when they could easily just fly DFW-LHR or some other airport where they can transfer to a BA plane.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2014, 6:37 PM

[q

Old Posted Sep 19, 2014, 6:58 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Seems to me another flight option would be nice to have out of DFW. Some travelers, especially premium passengers, are partial to flying BA.

I guess BA has an agreement with AA not to siphon off their DFW traffic or it could be that the Austin flight is generating profitable loads without the need for connecting passengers.
I read off of one of the airline forums (possibly Flyer talk but can't remember for sure) that some people were using ABIA opting to bypass the hubs and transfer planes here. I'll go look for where I read that.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2014, 3:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
I read off of one of the airline forums (possibly Flyer talk but can't remember for sure) that some people were using ABIA opting to bypass the hubs and transfer planes here. I'll go look for where I read that.
How would they do that? The only US airline codeshare with BA is American, and all the AA flights from Austin are from hubs (meaning they would be siphoning traffic). I suppose they could buy a SWA ticket to Austin (and BA ticket to LHR), arrive at Austin, leave the secure area, then recheck in for the BA flight. Anyone ever try that?

On a side note, I recall once that there was that "nerd bird" service by Austin between Austin and San Jose (and also to Seattle?), and I don't believe SJC was ever an AA hub. AA stopped that service, then Alaska tried and they dropped it until Southwest started the route.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2014, 7:21 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

It's likely an exception to the rule but here's two post's from Flyertalk. There are a couple of others mixed in if your up for searching for them. I also saw some other posts on another thread I can't think of off hand at the moment.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...-788-a-21.html

Quote:
raikje

Tried this out AUS-LHR in CW last week. Some observations:

- Check-in opened sharp at 3.5hrs before departure. I was connecting in on a separate AA flight via DFW and they refused to check my bag through, so I was waiting a few minutes for them to open up.

chiil1974

Hello, does anyone have experience connecting from the BA flight in AUS to an AA flight? Taking a trip towards the end of July and my client booked me on the return flight connecting from BA to AA in AUS. I have 1h 5m in between flights and am wondering if this is enough time to clear Customs & Immigration and then re-clear security. I do have Global Entry but last time I checked they don't have kiosks in AUS. My client's travel agent assured me that she spoke to both BA and AA and they both advised that the connection time was more than enough. Any first hand accounts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
I also stumbled across this article about St. Louis trying to get a BA route. Here's the link:

http://myfinlife.com/category/technology/

Two intersting pieces from the article.
Quote:
In an email, a British Airways spokeswoman said only that the carrier regularly reviewed its network to “look for growth opportunities.” Beyond the Austin service, the airline has no “news to share” about U.S. markets.

By comparison, Austin had about 300 people a day destined for “various points” within Europe, Hamm-Niebruegge said. But the reason it was chosen was because the San Antonio market, which is a 45-minute drive, had another 75 people a day, she added.
The piece above is according to the St. Louis Airport spokesperson. I'm not sure where they came to that conclusion from but I doubt that we were chosen just because of that. There's other factors such as SXSW, F1 and other events that likely played a major role in the deciding factor.

Last edited by Jdawgboy; Sep 20, 2014 at 7:32 AM.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2014, 2:07 PM
I am so smart, S-M-R-T!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleC View Post
On a side note, I recall once that there was that "nerd bird" service by Austin between Austin and San Jose (and also to Seattle?), and I don't believe SJC was ever an AA hub. AA stopped that service, then Alaska tried and they dropped it until Southwest started the route.
Good summary on the "Nerd Bird"!

As a matter of fact, AA did operate a small hub at SJC, which included both trans-Pacific (to NRT, which has since returned by ANA) and trans-Atlantic services, at the height of AA Nerd Bird operations.

FYI, here's a good snapshot of AA's service: http://www.departedflights.com/AA070201p86.html.

As the hub was wound down, the Nerd Bird became a casualty. I would think that AA will tend to focus on LAX services for western coverage in the future, so my sense is that the route is WN's to control.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2014, 3:37 PM

'Vibrant' hotel, retail development plan set for ABIA waiting area

J

Old Posted Sep 25, 2014, 6:05 PM

Quote:
A retail center and Hyatt hotel development is scheduled to be built on the almost 16-acre site to enhance the experience of waiting for guests to arrive at the airport terminal.
Will they offer hourly rates and professional companions or something?

Old Posted Sep 25, 2014, 7:28 PM
Meh

We were at the airport yesterday and I saw an Alaska Airlines jet. I did not realize they flew into Austin.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Sep 25, 2014, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
We were at the airport yesterday and I saw an Alaska Airlines jet. I did not realize they flew into Austin.
They have been flying to Austin for quite some time now. I think it's been around 5 years now.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2014, 8:59 PM
Meh

Is this an elevated roadway?

Quote:
After picking up or dropping off passengers at Austin-Bergstrom International Airport, drivers will encounter lane closures from October 2-8, 2014. The closed lanes lead away from the terminal on the airport’s main roadway, Presidential Boulevard. The closures are due to construction associated with the airport’s new Consolidated Rental Car Facility (CONRAC).
To learn more, including hours of lane closures visit, http://www.austintexas.gov/news/lane...-occur-october.

Austin-Bergstrom International Airport - https://www.facebook.com/abia/photos...type=1&theater

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Sep 29, 2014, 9:06 PM

Yes, in the link at the end of that photo description it states:
Quote:
These lanes are being closed to allow construction of a flyover roadway that will serve as the CONRAC exit. The flyover will create a roadway for rental cars to exit the CONRAC facility and merge onto outbound Presidential Blvd.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2014, 10:26 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

With the recent news of an Irish Consulate coming, I'd say our chances of getting an Aer Lingus route has considerably improved.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2014, 3:55 PM

[q

Old Posted Sep 30, 2014, 7:47 PM

Old Posted Sep 30, 2014, 10:25 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

I'm not as familiar with plane abbreviations so forgive me but when you say 772 are you referring to a 777-200? Because when I searched for a Beoing 772 that's what came up.

A couple of observations:

Despite international air cargo being up a whopping 175%, overall cargo is down compared to this time last year which seems odd considering the robust job growth.

Aeromar has dropped below 1,000 again. Any word or whisperings about the route's future?

Old Posted Sep 30, 2014, 10:32 PM

Quote:
I'm not as familiar with plane abbreviations so forgive me but when you say 772 are you referring to a 777-200? Because when I searched for a Beoing 772 that's what came up.
Yep, a 772 is a 777-200. The 788 that British Airways is operating now is a 787-800.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2014, 6:20 PM

Old Posted Oct 1, 2014, 7:50 PM

That announcement makes me recall the first time I ever flew into Austin. It was on a puddle jumping flight from New Orleans in a DC3 flown by TTA (aka Tree Top Airline or Trans Texas Airline). The flight in 1965 went from NO to Baton Rouge, Lafayette, Lake Charles, Houston, and Austin. It took like 6 hours in a noisy old propeller plane, but it was cheap. A jet flight to Houston and a transfer to another flight to Austin would have cost about twice as much. TTA eventually upgraded their fleet to small jets, but they disappeared in mergers years ago.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin