HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Feb 3, 2015, 9:07 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin1971 View Post
Some light reading......Good diagrams. New gate expansion shows 3 gates capable of servicing 3 heavy's, 773x2 and 789, at the same time.

http://austinasce.org/wp-content/upl...sentation2.pdf

From the Above PDF

This is the first time I've seen a detailed graph of ABIA's market share. Interesting to see the amount of people to the east that choose ABIA over airports in Houston such as Brazos County.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
From the Above PDF

This is the first time I've seen a detailed graph of ABIA's market share. Interesting to see the amount of people to the east that choose ABIA over airports in Houston such as Brazos County.

I'm kinda surprised that many people from San Antonio use ABIA 110,621

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 8:01 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PartyLine View Post
I'm kinda surprised that many people from San Antonio use ABIA 110,621
I'm not surprised about the amount so much. It's no secret ABIA has more direct flights not to mention London. It's relativly easy to get to and it's growing at a rapid rate.

What surprises me more is where the majority of the dots are located in Bexar County. Litterally right around their airport. Each dot represents 100 users and most of those are clustered on the northern side. I guess that is partly to do with demographics as well but it's interesting that people who may live next door or just down the street from SAT regularly use ABIA.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 8:12 PM

Taxiway A Construction Update

I'm most interested in this mentioned at the end of the article: "It also greatly enhances maintenance operational efficiencies by allowing our field maintenance teams the ability to close one taxiway for routine maintenance and still have one available for normal airfield movement operations."

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 8:42 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

That's great to hear!

So only the long west runway has been in use.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2015, 3:56 AM

F

Last edited by Austin1971; Jan 24, 2020 at 10:15 PM.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2015, 6:19 AM
Meh

Quote:
That's great to hear!

So only the long west runway has been in use.
Ah, I was wondering why I saw the "X" lights on the east runway the last two nights.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Feb 14, 2015, 9:47 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
I'm surprised the article didn't mention a possible Asian trans-Pacific long haul route it only mentioned trans-Atlantic.

I agree that it may be awhile before another Trans-Atlantic route is added but I do think a direct route to Asia, most likely Tokyo from the chatter of the last several months is more likely to occur before a second trans-Atlantic route. It's probably not going to happen this year but it could definitely happen in 2016 or 2017.

Austin is very lucky to have ABIA. There could not have been a better opportunity when Bergstrom Airforce Base was chosen to close and it couldn't have happend at a better time when the city was already in the process of preparing to build a new airport. It's location coupled with complete infrastructure including two long runways (one being the longest outside of DFW International in the state) made it a no brainer and the cost was nearly cut in half compared to building an airport from scratch. I also doubt we would have ended up with a 9,000 and 12,250 foot runway. The design of the terminal was also an excellent choice. It's beautiful, bright, airy and is easy to navigate. I do not think that we would be so lucky if the opportunity never occurred and we built an airport likely out by Manor. The fact that Austin has done so well is icing on the cake.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2015, 5:15 AM

ABIA is by far the nicest, easiest to navigate and cleanest airport I've been to. I always seem to over estimate how early I should get there to catch a flight as its so quick to check in and get to my gate that I usually end up waiting an hour or more for my flight. Jdawgboy, you might be right about the existing infrastructure from the Airforce base had two long runways, but I thought the 9000 foot runway was built after the base was acquired.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2015, 5:56 PM

[q

Last edited by Austin1971; Jan 24, 2020 at 10:15 PM.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2015, 11:27 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
17R/35L was the original runway for Bergstrom AFB. 17L/35R was built when the conversion took place. I recall during planning for the conversion there were discussions about whether or not to build the new runway. Looks like they made the right decision.
Okay yea I didn't realize that. I was in middle and high school during its construction so I didn't pay much attention to any specifics. I do remember going with my grandparents as a kid to the commissary for groceries. My grandfather was a colonel in the Airforce but was retired by then. I also remember going to an air show there in 95 I think. The terminal was under construction.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2015, 3:38 PM
constructor extrodinaire!

Quote:
I'm not surprised about the amount so much. It's no secret ABIA has more direct flights not to mention London. It's relativly easy to get to and it's growing at a rapid rate.

What surprises me more is where the majority of the dots are located in Bexar County. Litterally right around their airport. Each dot represents 100 users and most of those are clustered on the northern side. I guess that is partly to do with demographics as well but it's interesting that people who may live next door or just down the street from SAT regularly use ABIA.
I would venture to bet there are plenty of people from Austin using the SA airport as well. Austin has more directs, but not that much more. SAT damn near broke their passenger record last year. I bet they break it this year.

*edit* They did break their record come to find out.

http://www.sanantonio.gov/Aviation/F...tatistics.aspx

Old Posted Feb 16, 2015, 8:21 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by texboy View Post
I would venture to bet there are plenty of people from Austin using the SA airport as well. Austin has more directs, but not that much more. SAT damn near broke their passenger record last year. I bet they break it this year.

*edit* They did break their record come to find out.

http://www.sanantonio.gov/Aviation/F...tatistics.aspx
Congrats to SAT on breaking it's passenger record.

There are people in Austin who use DFW and Houston Intercontinental due to the amount if international routes and carriers there's no doubt about that. There may be a few that use SAT but it's safe to say the numbers are no where near the amount compared to people in the SA metro using ABIA. When you compare a 1.4% yearly increase at SAT to a 7% increase at ABIA (few airports in the country have seen that kind of growth), it's not hard to see why.

There's no need to get into a versus debate, there's little point. The gap is getting wider between the two and it will continue to do so.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2015, 8:57 PM
constructor extrodinaire!

Quote:

...it's safe to say the numbers are no where near the amount compared to people in the SA metro using ABIA. When you compare a 1.4% yearly increase at SAT to a 7% increase at ABIA (few airports in the country have seen that kind of growth), it's not hard to see why.
Of course. I wouldn't want to start a versus debate.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2015, 4:31 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by texboy View Post
Of course. I wouldn't want to start a versus debate.
I was simply stating a fact.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2015, 5:51 AM
Meh

Quote:
17R/35L was the original runway for Bergstrom AFB. 17L/35R was built when the conversion took place. I recall during planning for the conversion there were discussions about whether or not to build the new runway. Looks like they made the right decision.

It's pretty cool seeing all the traffic use just one runway, 17R/35L. ATC is earning their money. The other day I saw 12 a/c lined up waiting to take off, 8 commerical and 4 general aviation. During night ops it's not uncommon to see 5-6 a/c stacked inbound for landing.
With them using just one runway, it seems like they're having some traffic backup waiting for a gate. I noticed over the weekend there were 4 big jets sitting on the tarmac waiting and several more I could see at their gates.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Feb 17, 2015, 7:00 AM

[q

Last edited by Austin1971; Jan 24, 2020 at 10:14 PM.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2015, 12:32 PM

Speaking of San Antonio's airport, it got a mention in this world ranking of airports as the "most improved airport in North America".

http://www.cnn.com/2015/02/17/travel...ice/index.html

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2015, 5:18 PM

Frontier Adding More Discount Flights to O'Hare

Quote:
The ultralow-cost airline, whose aircraft are known for wild animals painted on the tail, is expected to announce Tuesday that on April 14 it will add year-round, nonstop service from O'Hare to Los Angeles and seasonal service, at least through fall, to Austin, Texas. Seasonal nonstop flights to San Francisco and Raleigh, N.C., will begin April 30, the airline said.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2015, 6:37 PM

[q

Last edited by Austin1971; Jan 24, 2020 at 10:14 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin