HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Oct 26, 2016, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
T but not as bad as Blake which is probably the worst part of Vanier.T
Other than a couple of notable incidents, even Blake Blvd isn't "dangerous". I walk the dogs there everyday and the homeowners are great. The rentals? That is where the trouble resides but it would be an exaggeration to suggest it is "Fort Apache".

Old Posted Oct 27, 2016, 1:50 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanier View Post
Other than a couple of notable incidents, even Blake Blvd isn't "dangerous". I walk the dogs there everyday and the homeowners are great. The rentals? That is where the trouble resides but it would be an exaggeration to suggest it is "Fort Apache".
I never said it was Fort Apache, but it's not the nicest area.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2016, 1:19 PM
Awesome!

Quote:
So there have been no shootings this year in the Vatican-esque square mile of territory that used to be the City of Vanier. This is quite surprising.
Not anymore

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-...ha-avenue-area
"However, the Leafs have not won the Cup since 1967, giving them the longest-active Cup drought in the NHL, and thus are the only Original Six team that has not won the Cup since the 1967 NHL expansion." Favorite phrase on the Toronto Maple Leafs Wikipedia page.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2016, 4:52 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

The NDP candidate, Claude Bisson, was interviewed on CBC Radio's Ottawa Morning on Friday, and I haven't heard a more ill-prepared candidate in a long long time. It was embarrassing. You'd think that a political candidate would be able to articulate his position and at least have some idea about the party platform, but Robin Bresnahan had a better grasp of the major issues that he did.

Audio: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa...nier-1.3825685

Old Posted Nov 8, 2016, 2:30 PM

I voted in the advance poll yesterday. I was surprised how little campaigning had gone on before the advance polls opened. They only flyer in my mailbox was from the Junior Anti-Sex League (or whatever they're called) and nothing from the 3 main parties.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2016, 2:41 PM

I've had canvassers for Des Rosiers and Marin at the door. What I haven't seen or heard anything about is any public forum where one could actually hear the candidates speak, not that it would make a difference to how I plan to vote in this specific byelection. I suppose it's good to know we have (at least) two abundantly qualified candidates for the job.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2016, 2:48 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
I voted in the advance poll yesterday. I was surprised how little campaigning had gone on before the advance polls opened. They only flyer in my mailbox was from the Junior Anti-Sex League (or whatever they're called) and nothing from the 3 main parties.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2016, 2:53 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
The NDP candidate, Claude Bisson, was interviewed on CBC Radio's Ottawa Morning on Friday, and I haven't heard a more ill-prepared candidate in a long long time. It was embarrassing. You'd think that a political candidate would be able to articulate his position and at least have some idea about the party platform, but Robin Bresnahan had a better grasp of the major issues that he did.

Audio: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa...nier-1.3825685
That's disappointing. His brother Gilles (MPP for the New Liskeard and Timmins regions) is a bit rough around the edges sometimes but he's definitely a seasoned politician.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2016, 3:55 PM

Quote:
I thought the PCs were the Junior Anti-Sex League?

Old Posted Nov 8, 2016, 4:00 PM

Both the provincial and federal seats are vacant. It will be interesting to compare the vote tallies of the very unpopular provincial Liberals and the popular federal Liberals.

This has been a ridiculously safe Liberal riding, so it Morin takes it I think Kathleen Wynne will have to step down. They won't be able to blame it on social conservative wedge issues - this would be like losing St. Paul's or Toronto Centre.

Last edited by Docere; Nov 8, 2016 at 4:12 PM.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2016, 4:29 PM

It's hard to see a scenario where the liberals lose. Even in years the PCs have won large provincial or federal majorities they have lost this riding by 20-30 point margin.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2016, 4:31 PM

Yeah, if the Liberals were reduced to three ridings province-wide in a general election, Vanier would be one of them.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2016, 11:32 PM

The Liberals will win Ottawa-Vanier; that's more or less assured. The interesting part will be the margin. The Liberals won the riding by a margin of 33 points in 2014. If Marin manages to narrow it down to 10-15 points that would amount to a major symbolic "win" for the PCs, as that's a shift large enough to create a PC majority if its replicated provincewide in 2018.

Both parties know this and I imagine they're both using the by-election as a test of campaigning strategies more than anything else. The PCs may be warming up Marin to possibly make a run in Orleans or Ottawa West-Nepean in 2018 given his star candidate status which in a general election would be wasted in a place like Ottawa-Vanier.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2016, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
The Liberals will win Ottawa-Vanier; that's more or less assured. The interesting part will be the margin. The Liberals won the riding by a margin of 33 points in 2014. If Marin manages to narrow it down to 10-15 points that would amount to a major symbolic "win" for the PCs, as that's a shift large enough to create a PC majority if its replicated provincewide in 2018.

Both parties know this and I imagine they're both using the by-election as a test of campaigning strategies more than anything else. The PCs may be warming up Marin to possibly make a run in Orleans or Ottawa West-Nepean in 2018 given his star candidate status which in a general election would be wasted in a place like Ottawa-Vanier.
Marin is not a star candidate. He has name recognition, but in this civil service town, that name is mud.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2016, 3:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
Marin is not a star candidate. He has name recognition, but in this civil service town, that name is mud.
Probably his strongest recommendation, in some quarters.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2016, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Probably his strongest recommendation, in some quarters.
Perhaps. But he's hated in military and RCMP circles, which would make him radioactive in Orleans.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2016, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
Perhaps. But he's hated in military and RCMP circles, which would make him radioactive in Orleans.
You mean in senior military and RCMP circles, no?

Old Posted Nov 16, 2016, 1:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post

If somehow the Liberals lose (either to the PC's or to the NDP), it is virtually certain Kathleen Wynne would resign as party leader. Vanier should be the safest Liberal seat outside of central Toronto and one of the 5 or 10 safest in the province.

Marin is definitely not a social conservative, so that can't come into play (it would be a huge liability there anyway).

Old Posted Nov 16, 2016, 3:27 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternallyme View Post
If somehow the Liberals lose (either to the PC's or to the NDP), it is virtually certain Kathleen Wynne would resign as party leader. Vanier should be the safest Liberal seat outside of central Toronto and one of the 5 or 10 safest in the province.

Marin is definitely not a social conservative, so that can't come into play (it would be a huge liability there anyway).
Really? I know it's the safest of safe seats but she'd quit the premiership over a byelection?

Old Posted Nov 16, 2016, 8:34 AM

Marin is very much a moderate.

My sister (resident of the riding) went to the community debate and she told me she was blown away by how progressive many of Marin's statements were... he indicated he supports spending more money on cycling infrastructure, the opening of a safe injection site, and expanding welfare.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Business, Politics & the Economy