HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Apr 19, 2011, 3:24 PM

I don't think they can scrap the Draper extension as it was part of the ballot initiative for the frontlines construction timetable. I think that if they scrap the Draper extension, it would invalidate the vote.

If it wouldn't change anything with the vote, I say delay Draper, work on it real slow and put the resources to the Sugarhouse line first.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2011, 3:48 PM

The Draper extension has already begun. Here is a link to the construction updates: http://www.rideuta.com/mc/?page=Proj...e-Construction

SLC and South South Salt Lake have hired a consultant to study the rail corridor for future land use along the route. The Sugar House Trolley has already been entirely funded. UTA is working on finalizing engineered construction drawings and going out to bid for a contractor now. These things just take a lot of time.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2011, 4:29 PM

Thanks for the update. I was wondering about the Sugarhouse line myself. Has UTA put a target year on the Sugarhouse trolley?

Old Posted Apr 19, 2011, 5:36 PM
farmerboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCdude View Post

Thanks, Farmerboy! Just out of curiosity, what class was that?
Transportation & Land-Use (taught by Reid Ewing)

Old Posted Apr 19, 2011, 5:57 PM
Development Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbillbillbill View Post
In the [KSL] story, they mentioned that sales tax revenue was down 100 million dollars so they had to slow down the project for the time being. http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=15188209
That makes sense. Take longer to build it because revenues are down... in the mean time, you're paying suppliers/contractors/subs/etc. for their time and resources and it will likely cost more in the long run.

IMHO: I believe that UTA is milking this project far more than they ever should have. This project is more complex than the north line, but should never have taken until "2015" as they originally planned. Sure, now they're saying 2014, but consider the fact that I-15 CORE is a much more complex project, deals with far more impediments (constructing around existing traffic) and it will be done in Dec. 2012 (2.5 years TOTAL). UTA broke ground in 2008; and if they finish in 2014 that'll be SIX YEARS!!!

I'm all for public transit and strongly feel that it is needed (I lived in a non-US city of 5-million people and they had a fabulous system)... HOWEVER, UTA's inefficiencies drive me crazy. "Ridership is down, so let's raise rates to make up for lost revenue." Maybe they should lower rates and ridership will increase. Maybe they should make it so that it doesn't take 3X the time it takes for me to drive to the same destination and cost me more than my fuel (even at $4/gal.) to get there and back.

UTA's current status on the FrontRunner South project says they are 70% complete (http://s.tygr.ws/g6bJ6P). Do the math... the project broke ground in 2008 (three years ago)... it will "finish" in 2014 (in three more years). That doesn't sound right... 70% in three years, 30% in the remaining three years? I know, I know, UTA has a habit of creating "padded-deadlines" and then turning around and finishing in a realistic time frame and then claiming they "did it much faster than anticipated." It's a PR move on their part... this news article is the same thing... "oh, look how complex this project is... we're down on funding, oh... whoa is us."

Mark my words, by the time I-15 CORE is done, FrontRunner South will be fully operational and UTA will be seeking praises for getting the project done THREE YEARS ahead of the original expectation (2015). If not, then they will be milking it for all they can because it may be a decades until they have a project of this magnitude again.

Sorry for the rant... It's been a beef of mine for some time... and I look forward to being able to get to SLC airport much easier (from Spanish Fork) without relying on my family and/or paying for parking. We will also likely take it to Downtown SLC, to see family in Ogden/Layton, etc.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2011, 7:23 PM
farmerboy

1. As I understand it Frontrunner South is scheduled for completion in 2012, unfortunately the funds lacking are those for operation, so the finished line will sit idle until operations funding becomes available.

2. If you want to talk about inefficiencies, you might want to consider the $30 million in hush monies UDOT payed to the competing contractor who sued for failure to follow protocol in awarding the I-15 bid.

3. Transit Ridership is up, fares are increasing because of gas prices, UTA is having budget shortfalls like everyone else, these shortfalls have to be made up somewhere. What would you suggest they do to mitigate this shortfall?

4. I don't understand why people are upset that UTA gets projects finished ahead of schedule, why is this a problem?

Old Posted Apr 19, 2011, 11:16 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

Well said.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2011, 2:26 PM

Last night, as I was driving from my house to downtown, I passed by a large pile of TRAX rail that wasn't there before. It is on 700 West between 2nd and 3rd North. I think they might start laying the rail close to the viaduct soon.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2011, 5:41 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

I was around 9th E and 4th S on Wednesday evening and saw them testing the new trains on the University Line.

From the Office Max parking lot with my phone.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2011, 6:34 PM
Lurker

ZOMG! Were they quiet and smooth? It seems like everyone has seen these in action except me!

Old Posted Apr 22, 2011, 7:28 PM

I haven't seen them yet either, SLCdude, and my whole life is along the University line!

Old Posted Apr 23, 2011, 5:42 AM

Dose anyone know when these trains will start running? I mean when we can actualy ride them to work?

Old Posted Apr 24, 2011, 4:35 AM
Lurker

Here's a video the Salt Lake Tribune made about the train testing:

http://www.youtube.com/embed/i0UyYmp4GoM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC14 View Post
Dose anyone know when these trains will start running? I mean when we can actualy ride them to work?
I'm guessing August 7th (when the new lines open up). If UTA accepts my internship application I may be able to fill you guys in on whats going on.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2011, 11:40 PM

^ That's a good video. I'm glad to hear they will eventualy replace all the old trains, although I'm actualy starting to warm up to those ugly VTA trains. I still hate them but I can see why some people like them.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2011, 12:40 PM

I'd like to see all the new trains start July 4th.

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Apr 25, 2011, 7:03 PM
Lurker

I finally saw a new train in action!

About an hour ago I saw a four car train leaving the Fort Douglas station heading towards the hospital.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2011, 9:17 PM
Lurker

From UTA's Website:

UTA to Discontinue Direct TRAX Trains From Sandy To University May 1

The Utah Transit Authority will discontinue direct Sandy-to-University TRAX service on May 1. Direct University trains will continue to run on the same schedule but trains will originate at the Fashion Place West (6400 South) station in Murray.

The change comes as UTA begins certifying vehicles and train operators on the new Mid-Jordan TRAX line that opens Aug. 7. After the new line opens, direct trains to the University will begin service at the Daybreak South Station in West Jordan.

“This service change is necessary in order to certify our new train operators and test the new vehicles that will serve the University in the future,” UTA General Manager Michael Allegra said.

Riders beginning their trip south of Murray can still travel to the University of Utah with a transfer to a direct train to the U anywhere between the Fashion Place West and Courthouse stations. They may also continue on to Gallivan Plaza station and transfer to a University line train at that location. Most transfer wait times will be five to seven minutes.

http://www.rideuta.com/content/happenings.aspx

Old Posted Apr 27, 2011, 7:08 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

Here comes the bitching.

Not all lines can run to all places. Just like in any city with a decent transit system with more than one or two lines, transfers are required.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2011, 8:10 PM

I'm sure there will be a few complainers, but unless you use one of the five stations on the Sandy Line south of Fashion Place, this wont affect you at all. The line is just going to become the Daybreak-University line instead of the Sandy-University line. This has been planned for years, and the maps have always said 'route south of Fashion Place is temporary'

Old Posted Apr 27, 2011, 8:18 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

I think they should make the Day Break - University line the Black or the White line. To coincide with the Red line from Central Station.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West