HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Dec 28, 2016, 10:38 AM
Illustrator, editor

SAN SALVADOR VOLCANO - Quetzaltepec
- Boquerón Volcano Valley

San Salvador, the capital, is situated in the Boquerón Volcano Valley. The highest volcano is Quetzaltepec, or the San Salvador Volcano, that can be seen from almost all over the city and still has seismic activity. It is situated just West of San Salvador, and is part of the bordering La Libertad department. Part of it is situated in Santa Tecla. The highest point is situated at a height of 1 893m above the sea. Several TV and radio antennas are situated on the Picacho peaks above the crater. The highest peak, El Picacho, is situated at en elevation of 1,96km. The volcano is a famous symbol of San Salvador, but an eruption can lead to a catastrophic devastation of the city! The most recent eruption was in 1917. Before this eruption there was a lagoon inthe crater! The Boqueron edifice was formed 700-1000 years ago.
We drow up through narrow, steep, curvy roads up to the top of the volcano, Parque el Boqueron, that has a museum about the vegetation and lots of vegetation. From there, steep stairs lead upwards to a viewing point. Right above it are all tall TV masts. There are fancy restaurants with amazing views, along the way to the top of the volcno, like La Pampa el Volcan that we visited in the late evening and Plaza Volcan.
Quetzaltepec from West San Salvador 02 by worldtravelimages.net, on Flickr
San Salvador volcano from the city.

VIEWS FROM THE VOLCANO:
Views from Quetzaltepec 05 by worldtravelimages.net, on Flickr
San Salvador west suburbs from the volcano
Views from Quetzaltepec 06 by worldtravelimages.net, on Flickr

Views from Quetzaltepec 04 by worldtravelimages.net, on Flickr
Views from Quetzaltepec 02 by worldtravelimages.net, on Flickr
Views from Quetzaltepec 11 by worldtravelimages.net, on Flickr
Views from Quetzaltepec 10 by worldtravelimages.net, on Flickr
Views from Quetzaltepec 07 by Nightsky, on Flickr

QUETZALTEPEC, LOOKING DOWN THE CRATER, views of the mountians:

Quetzaltepec 22 by Nightsky, on Flickr
Quetzaltepec 16 by Nightsky, on Flickr

Quetzaltepec 15 by Nightsky, on Flickr

Quetzaltepec 21 by Nightsky, on Flickr

Quetzaltepec 18 by Nightsky, on Flickr

Quetzaltepec 13 by Nightsky, on Flickr

Quetzaltepec 09 by Nightsky, on Flickr
Quetzaltepec 07 by Nightsky, on Flickr

Quetzaltepec 04 by Nightsky, on Flickr

Quetzaltepec 45 by Nightsky, on Flickr

Quetzaltepec 44 by Nightsky, on Flickr

Quetzaltepec 43 by Nightsky, on Flickr

Quetzaltepec 42 by Nightsky, on Flickr
This mast os the highest structure, all over El Salvador!
Quetzaltepec 41 by Nightsky, on Flickr

Quetzaltepec 36 by Nightsky, on Flickr
Quetzaltepec 33 by Nightsky, on Flickr
Quetzaltepec 31 by Nightsky, on Flickr
Quetzaltepec 30 by Nightsky, on Flickr
Quetzaltepec 29 by Nightsky, on Flickr

http://worldtravelimages.net/San_Salvador_Volcano.htm

All my diagram drawings - more than 700!:
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?14670510

Old Posted Dec 30, 2016, 11:26 AM

I spent 2 nites in San Salvador, one nite a few blocks from Metro Center, and the other time in Centro.

I learned from my trip to El Salvador to all but ignore U.S. Consular's Reports, scaring people away from going to particular countries, with a reputation as being dangerous/unsafe.

As for gangs, let's face it, they're killing one another, not tourists, just like the Mexican border cities some time ago, like Juarez/Tijuana, perfectly safe for tourists!

It really saddened me to stay at this outstanding motel in La Palma (20 miles from the Honduran border), as I was given the best room in the motel, for $10, in 2009. Had the pool all to myself! I was the only one staying in the motel that night! Yes, 2009, and 8 years later, I would not hesitate to return there!

Sad, because so many tourists take these media reports of danger to heart, and miss out on some great bargains, great people.

So many of the people I encountered on my bus trips I'd call stupidly honest. It blew me away, time after time, taking a bus or chicken bus in El Salvador, no matter what denomination of $ gave them, no matter how crowded the bus, they stupidly gave me the exact change back.

Hey! I live in Rip-off Las Vegas where they'd find some way of taking the last nickel out of your pocket before you returned to the Airport, and? Not so much as a thank-you!

And I love all the motels I stayed in all over Central America, all built so solidly, with concrete, no wooden motels like here in the U.S.!

Old Posted Jan 2, 2017, 12:43 PM
Illustrator, editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMBY View Post
I spent 2 nites in San Salvador, one nite a few blocks from Metro Center, and the other time in Centro.

I learned from my trip to El Salvador to all but ignore U.S. Consular's Reports, scaring people away from going to particular countries, with a reputation as being dangerous/unsafe.

As for gangs, let's face it, they're killing one another, not tourists, just like the Mexican border cities some time ago, like Juarez/Tijuana, perfectly safe for tourists!

It really saddened me to stay at this outstanding motel in La Palma (20 miles from the Honduran border), as I was given the best room in the motel, for $10, in 2009. Had the pool all to myself! I was the only one staying in the motel that night! Yes, 2009, and 8 years later, I would not hesitate to return there!

Sad, because so many tourists take these media reports of danger to heart, and miss out on some great bargains, great people.

So many of the people I encountered on my bus trips I'd call stupidly honest. It blew me away, time after time, taking a bus or chicken bus in El Salvador, no matter what denomination of $ gave them, no matter how crowded the bus, they stupidly gave me the exact change back.

Hey! I live in Rip-off Las Vegas where they'd find some way of taking the last nickel out of your pocket before you returned to the Airport, and? Not so much as a thank-you!

And I love all the motels I stayed in all over Central America, all built so solidly, with concrete, no wooden motels like here in the U.S.!
You are absolutely right in every point! People have to go and see it for themselves instead of reading scarry reports from embassies. Also I want to tell that the residents we visited also told us that they were scarred about the high crime, that you have to go by car everywhere, yet they had never been robbed in their entire life (I know many people who have been here in Sweden). During my visit 120 cars were burnt down in my city in Sweden, I was told that never happens in El Salvador!

Yes it's strange to see amazing beaches that are abanonded. We stayed at a large hotel in Costa blanca, and there were only a few guests.
I think the lack of water in many places (mostly private homes and rented cottages, public toilets never work except for in fancy malls and hotels) can put people off, and some places are really not used to tourists at all, but overall were really friendly, and like you said always give the exact amount of money back, unlike in European cities. If you stay at a hotel there will be no problem. More photos soon!

All my diagram drawings - more than 700!:
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?14670510

Old Posted Feb 20, 2017, 6:58 PM

Beautiful country. Thanks for sharing.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos