HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Aug 23, 2016, 1:08 AM

I like it, but as always skeptical until I see dirt move in Tempe. Good news is the continued job announcements in Downtown Tempe. Makes you wonder why 100 Mill can't get enough leases signed to break ground.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2016, 3:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
I noticed last night that the America's Taco Shop restaurant on University Drive (just west of Rural) is out of business and fenced off. Does anyone know if the building is being refurbished, or maybe demolished to be replaced with something bigger? The site is adjacent to the University / Rural light rail station.
Well that's a bummer on America's then again wasn't much room for seating.

Interesting on Cholla and Design since neither are listed on ASU's CFO.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2016, 8:59 PM

It looks like the first building at the Papago Grand topped out at 4 floors. I haven't seen any more vertical work in about a week. Hopefully they break ground on additional taller buildings soon.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2016, 5:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickw252 View Post
It looks like the first building at the Papago Grand topped out at 4 floors. I haven't seen any more vertical work in about a week. Hopefully they break ground on additional taller buildings soon.
It made a much larger impact on the 202 than I was expecting. Not very tall but it seems fairy large

Old Posted Aug 24, 2016, 7:51 PM

PAPAGO GRAND Park and Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
It made a much larger impact on the 202 than I was expecting. Not very tall but it seems fairy large
I just wish the City of Tempe would work out a park and ride at the southeast corner of Priest and Washington as part of this deal. A parking garage. I just think it would be the most busy park and ride on the LRT Route. People coming from Scottsdale and Phoenix north of Papago Park and people coming from Temp and Chandler from the south. No freaking brainer.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2016, 11:18 PM

Eastline Village cleared Tempe DRC unanimously.

http://www.tempe.gov/Home/ShowDocument?id=43198

Old Posted Aug 25, 2016, 12:56 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixwillrise View Post
I just wish the City of Tempe would work out a park and ride at the southeast corner of Priest and Washington as part of this deal. A parking garage. I just think it would be the most busy park and ride on the LRT Route. People coming from Scottsdale and Phoenix north of Papago Park and people coming from Temp and Chandler from the south. No freaking brainer.
I agree, and I've known some people who have used that station as an unofficial park-and-ride -- particularly if they work in one of the office buildings there and have access to parking.

One problem is that Tempe would have little incentive to create a park-and-ride that would be used primarily by residents of Scottsdale (which stubbornly resists light rail) and Phoenix. I'm not sure if the existing park-and-rides are owned by city governments or by Valley Metro.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2016, 9:28 PM

Pictures

Grabbed a couple pictures today.

The Wedge retail on rural. They appear to already have at least one tenant leased.

1000 Apache

Broadstone Lakeside

Old Posted Aug 27, 2016, 1:53 PM

The Grand at Papago Park

Some new pictures from their website.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2016, 4:38 PM

The Grand at Papago Park

A rendering of the building currently under construction.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2016, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwwolfe View Post
A rendering of the building currently under construction.

Although it is quite suburban in design it think this will be a very nice project once completed.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2016, 11:23 PM

Photo of redirected canal

Quote:
Some new pictures from their website.

I thought it was suppose to have a mini Roosevelt Dam this isn't anything like they showed in their initial renderings.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2016, 1:53 PM

The latest renderings show a water feature that has been "value engineered"

Old Posted Aug 30, 2016, 1:58 PM

Quote:
The latest renderings show a water feature that has been "value engineered"

Looking at the new renderings I'm glad they didn't shrink the scale of the project, this could have easily become just a cluster of 4 story suburban office buildings

Old Posted Sep 2, 2016, 4:18 PM

The Tempe Biomedical Campus is a total miss; they had the opportunity to bring nationally respected arts businesses to the area back in 2008 before neighborhood pressure forced them to cancel the RFP. But, a true arts and recreation village makes much more sense than what will likely be nothing more than another Discovery Center.

While those artists get housing on the outskirts of town, downtown will be filled with 9-5 workers and students. At this point, I would rather see DTPHX's PBC not be cannibalized by lowrise lake development.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2016, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asugrad View Post
I saw that too! Also, I saw that Cholla Hall w/the small building on Terrace and Rural has a fence around it and so does the ASU Design building across from Chuck Box on University. Anyone know whats going on with those?
I creeped by on my way in this morning and the signs on the fence say Cholla is slated for demolition, which somewhat surprises me. I wonder what the eventual plan is there.

I also saw that University Village is now being demo'd. So a lot of buildings coming down in that area. As of August University Village 2.0 had applied for a building permit so I'm assuming that one should be ready to go up once it comes down.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2016, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
I creeped by on my way in this morning and the signs on the fence say Cholla is slated for demolition, which somewhat surprises me. I wonder what the eventual plan is there.

I also saw that University Village is now being demo'd. So a lot of buildings coming down in that area. As of August University Village 2.0 had applied for a building permit so I'm assuming that one should be ready to go up once it comes down.
https://www.tempe.gov/Home/ShowDocument?id=34284

I don't remember seeing this guy, fairly standard for today defiantly better than what's there but why not build on an empty lot I never heard that university village was in bad condition.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2016, 1:26 AM

ASU completed $35M in facilities upgrades over summer

Some of the notables:
  • removal of Taco Bell in the MU for Pitchforks expansion (buffet)
  • Starbucks opened on the first floor of Noble Library
  • some needed touch-ups to Social Sciences, Physical Sciences Center wings, Art Building

Old Posted Sep 10, 2016, 5:04 PM

Interesting that Cholla is coming down. I think ASU has failed design-wise when it comes to addressing Apache and Rural, so I am not expecting great things; but, with the light rail nearby and potential development to the north, it could be a good kick-start toward a more urban Rural RD.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2016, 6:27 PM

Does anyone have any idea what the plans are for the NW corner of McClintock and Broadway? Looks like tear down has started on the old boat store building. Hopefully it isn't more apartments, already have plenty of those on the other side of McClintock along with the ones going up off of Dorsey.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest