HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 1:12 AM
BANNED

Have "60 small residential projects" been denied? You cannot give money to non-existent developments. There is not enough will in the development community to truly transform the downtown. As we all know, there are so many lots and derelict buildings downtown, so there is no shortage of development possibilities. We do not see enough developers stepping up to the plate.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 4:21 AM
surely you agree with me

About 15 were turned down...half of those heritage building redevelopment...who knows how many more would come forward over time. If no program exists because government has been soured on TIF because of the optics of huge payouts to megaprojects, we will never know.

That's my fear.

Again. I support TIF to big projects in principle. Not sure about paying for skywalks with them to be honest. Would the project not be viable without them? ...that money could do so much good. But I worry about the future of TIF because it has been so important to the small developments that have changed downtown.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 5:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windypeg View Post
Why? The MB Hydro plaza is right across the street and it's not anywhere near as bad as Air Canada. Same goes for the Japanese gardens 1 block to the south. That issue is mostly limited to Portage and TNS will have ground floor retail opening up to the space, and presumably security down there. It won't be similar at all.
The main issue with AC Park is that it's actually fairly sheltered from the street, so it's easy to "hide out" – it's also very run down and in bad shape.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 2:35 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
About 15 were turned down...half of those heritage building redevelopment...who knows how many more would come forward over time. If no program exists because government has been soured on TIF because of the optics of huge payouts to megaprojects, we will never know.

That's my fear.

Again. I support TIF to big projects in principle. Not sure about paying for skywalks with them to be honest. Would the project not be viable without them? ...that money could do so much good. But I worry about the future of TIF because it has been so important to the small developments that have changed downtown.
Based on the increased cost of redeveloping heritage buildings, developers who undertake this definitely need funding. Do you know why they were turned down?

Forgive the refrain, but we still need the funding, yes? I have to assume if there is a profit to be made, we would still see those projects which were denied proceed? Is the gap really so big still (in terms of new buildings)? Surely the developers would not walk away just because they cannot get a handout, aware that the desire to see new developments built downtown is so great that they are playing hardball in a way?

Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
The main issue with AC Park is that it's actually fairly sheltered from the street, so it's easy to "hide out" – it's also very run down and in bad shape.
That park should be demoed and a CRU put back in place. And while we're at it, get rid of the food court at Portage Place. That would solve a whole pile of problems.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 2:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA in Winnipeg View Post
That park should be demoed and a CRU put back in place. And while we're at it, get rid of the food court at Portage Place. That would solve a whole pile of problems.
The food court is the most profitable part of Portage Place and it's a useful amenity too, it's not going anywhere.

Air Canada Park on the other hand... what a waste of space, especially now that we have newer and nicer plazas nearby (Hydro, TNS). I'd love to see that space get filled in with not just a CRU, but a tower of some sort.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 2:41 PM

The AC courtyard is a red herring anyway, there is no comparison between it and what is going to happen at the True North square.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 2:42 PM
BANNED

I would support replacing that stupid AC plaza. Not sure about the food court idea though.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 3:14 PM
What could go wrong?

Damn you guys and all your "Talk".....it is really making me have to work to keep this image on the current page...

Same as always - bump to keep the updating photo on the current page...

"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 3:16 PM
What could go wrong?

^^^We are finally getting a "building" after a year of foundation and site-work.^^^
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
^^^We are finally getting a "building" after a year of foundation and site-work.^^^
I walk by it every day and I was thinking the same thing this morning... it actually looks like a building now.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 3:19 PM
There is always a way

Now that we're above grade I'm assuming it will rise fairly quickly relatively speaking.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 3:57 PM

Quote:
because smaller developments build better urban neighbourhoods than megaproject office towers.

60 small residential projects getting a half million dollar TIF each would transform the downtown far more than $30m to one developer.

just my own bias...I am totally over the megaproject thing....the future is a downtown neighbourhood.

If we think about what will build the conditions that make urban living attractive so the market will become self-sustaining and we can get rid of subsidies, will that be $30m plaza and commercial skywalks on an office tower, or several dozen low-rise street oriented residential projects?

I'm a big supporter of true north square and these developers, and I think they should get a TIF. I just worry the scale and optics of their take will kill the program completely. I'm with you...i'm good with TIF...big believer...but our government is not....and the optics of these huge single payouts are part of the reason.
I agree, mostly

First off, there is really only one office tower, and the rest are residential... but still qualifies as megaproject, no doubt.

I also think that we have to seize the opportunity to put in a couple megaprojects (or "normal projects" as they're called in other cities ) while we can. While not incorrect at all, the point that more low-rise fosters a better neighbourhood is an argument that comes up more often in response to tower overbuilding, and we're nowhere near that. If these large projects do not sour public opinion of TIF, we should add a few more towers.

But we might be near the end of funding for projects, like you said.

30M is a metric fuckton of money, and that plaza does not cost $9M. I absolutely think the City should pitch in for the park as it serves a public purpose but the amount is off-putting. I also believe that they should chip in for skywalks because it's integral to the connectivity of our downtown and an attractive feature for people who may want to live near work, thus populating this place. But that's a LOT of money.

At minimum, there was a more delicate way to handle this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
Have "60 small residential projects" been denied? You cannot give money to non-existent developments. There is not enough will in the development community to truly transform the downtown. As we all know, there are so many lots and derelict buildings downtown, so there is no shortage of development possibilities. We do not see enough developers stepping up to the plate.
Well, this is a broad stroke, but not everyone can do what TNS does... and a number of people have been bitten by attempts to make something happen and everyone took notice.

...and due to the price tag of these lots and cost of construction, you make your money through scale and eclipsing the land costs... That's why SkyCity is so big... if that land was reasonably priced it would not have exceeded 35-38 stories. Maybe less.

The idea downtown development, financially, is the one that achieves the greatest density for the developer. Any mid-size developer mulling over anything larger than a 4 storey wood structure would try to find a partner allowing them to push for 20+ storeys. However, then you run into the next question: can I fill that space?

All that is in regard to new construction, anyway. The forks lands and east of P+M are good locations for new developments under 10 storeys, IMO.

As far as warehouse renovations, I don't know why more aren't underway, provided they aren't heritage designated. Heritage requires a ton of dedication and money.

Quote:
But why have these been turned down? Just to allocate money to TNS and 300M?

Or are the proposals not up to the standard sought by the city?

Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 4:10 PM
BANNED

Designation aside, the cost of upgrading, well, everything in a historic building (mechanicals, etc) would be the most cost-prohibitive, no? I am assuming the projects at the Forks would not need financial assistance based on location?

Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 4:15 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Hey a year and half in Regina gets you Fortress still digging and digging a giant hole in the ground!

Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 4:15 PM

Artis is still working on how high to build 300 Main. Looks like TNS wins.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 4:19 PM
BANNED

Winnipeg cannot even get a hole in the ground from Fortress...

Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 4:22 PM

TIF and Store Front Grants

Quote:

That's my fear.

I too am concerned if 15 projects have been turned down not on merit but rather an unwillingness to fund... While I support the True North TIF, it seems strange at this point after all permits as to what will be built, arrangements are being put into place for another $9,000,000 TIF for space already designed and permitted.

It just seems after the fact to me...

I can say 15 projects even on a very modest scale in the Exchange and East Exchange would make a monumental impact...

Just look what little things such as Parlour, Fourth or Peg Brewery can do to an areas vitality. Imagine the impact of a great patio in the evening all summer on Lilly Street and its effect on the cultural venues there? They are deserving for a little crumb don't you think? These are the types of small vibrant businesses / building owners that really can use a TIF which translates only into 20k or 30k a year in deferred tax... Not much to ask for...

The storefront grants are a great step in the right direction but are under funded in my opinion. I see this as a great program and hope it continues...

While we have not made any large requests I encouraged and hope some of our tenants take advantage of this great equal matching opportunity. It can mean a lot to a small new business starting out.

Let's keep moving forward...

Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 5:10 PM

^ Why does it have to be either/or, though? I'm not detecting much of a backlash over the TNS TIF grant. A few eyebrows were raised when it was announced, but it's not like that particular project will be the undoing of TIF... TIF can still be around to help the smaller developers.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 5:20 PM

Exactly, it shouldn't be either/or. Both have merits.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan