HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 8:04 PM

But the plan is to have that tunnel extended all the way down 8th ave... one day. So the Green line needs to be built deep enough to pass under that and hopefully will be built with some sort of rough in for that tunnel.

I can't think of a single reason that the tunnel under the Bow wouldn't already as close to the surface as it is possible to build at the lowest overall price.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaytonA View Post
So City gets big transportation funding commitments for the West ring road and Airport Trail. I guess Green Line LRT extension is not this new city council's number one priority.
I think, as I mentioned in an earlier post, it's just the City unable to do much while Admin is still figuring out what Phase 2 should be (and cost) and completing the planning for the NC section. Things it really should have finished much earlier.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 9:36 PM

The Green Line must include a roughed in Red Line station at 8th Ave. As the Red Line most certainly will be the busier of the two, it should use the upper level. More challenging would be tunneling under the Red Line at 12th and Macleod. Either the Red Line will shut down for construction of a cut and cover Green Line or the Green Line will bore under the existing CP tunnel and rise to grade on a steep gradient.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 9:44 PM

Why would it not just stay deep using whatever tunneling method they use? It's got to pass under all those buildings' foundations too.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 9:56 PM

Must be bored. Surprised the Center St station isn't further west to avoid closing 1st Street during excavation

Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 10:36 PM
YouTube Creator

[Deleted]

Last edited by Reecemartin; Nov 17, 2020 at 9:29 PM.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 5:38 AM

The thinking is that the TBM needs to stay inside a certain geotechnical layer under the Bow River itself, so depth under 8 Ave per the City's vertical alignment was not the deciding factor, the depth under Bow River was. You'd need to look back at some of the discussion when they were still deciding whether to go over or under the river for more info.

Green line could end up busier than Red Line; it all depends on land use zoning, TOD/city services integrated into station areas, airport trips/connections and ultimate catchment area/Calgary continuing to sprawl. Remember some of these stations are planned to be integrated with/beside rec centres/libraries/schools/affordable housing complexes.

With a TBM and the station entirely north of 7 Ave, why is any rough in for 8 Ave even required for Green Line? It is a missed opportunity that the station isn't south of 7 Ave for a "super station" for all three lines in one place. Even more missed that that super station could feed into The Core shopping centre, maybe even on two levels, if this was Hong Kong.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 6:22 AM
Sex Marxist of Notleygrad

I personally HATE the alignment chosen that moves the Centre Street station so far south. Yes it's great for area gentrification but a multi-modal hub near the Calgary Tower with a station would have been SOOOOOO much better given that the old VIA station that is used by the Mountaineer seems like the most logical place to re-establish multi-modal regional and high speed rail station in the next few years...

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 7:10 AM

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 12:16 PM

The south section of the Red Line will always be the busiest due to Calgary stretching further south than in any other direction, and the Red Line providing the most convenient path across Fish Creek Park. This will only magnify as the Providence area builds out.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 1:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaytonA View Post
With a TBM and the station entirely north of 7 Ave, why is any rough in for 8 Ave even required for Green Line? It is a missed opportunity that the station isn't south of 7 Ave for a "super station" for all three lines in one place. Even more missed that that super station could feed into The Core shopping centre, maybe even on two levels, if this was Hong Kong.
You're right - I meant to mention this as I noticed it a while back in the more conceptual drawings. I was worried that they had put the 7 Ave station in the wrong place, and these drawings confirm it. Hopefully it doesn't mean they have abandoned plans to tunnel the Red Line*, though it still won't be a super long walk just not as close as it could be.

It's also going to be a crappy connection on the surface - go one way to go west or walk two blocks to go east. This is going to be the hub of the whole system, so hopefully they rebuild 3st SW station to be bidirectional and better.

*I remember in a video of one of the councillors saying that the surface running on 7th 'worked great'. He must not use the LRT ever, but it doesn't give me any faith that council know how crappy that few kms make the whole system.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 6:05 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
So it's going to be an at grade crossing of McLeod Trail? Boo.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 8:04 PM

The image shows it in tunnel - the line's going to be grade separated all the way from 16th to past Inglewood. At least for roads, I'm guessing there will be at grade pedestrian crossings to justify the pointless low floors.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2018, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
You're right - I meant to mention this as I noticed it a while back in the more conceptual drawings. I was worried that they had put the 7 Ave station in the wrong place, and these drawings confirm it. Hopefully it doesn't mean they have abandoned plans to tunnel the Red Line*, though it still won't be a super long walk just not as close as it could be.

It's also going to be a crappy connection on the surface - go one way to go west or walk two blocks to go east. This is going to be the hub of the whole system, so hopefully they rebuild 3st SW station to be bidirectional and better.

*I remember in a video of one of the councillors saying that the surface running on 7th 'worked great'. He must not use the LRT ever, but it doesn't give me any faith that council know how crappy that few kms make the whole system.

If the 7th Ave station needs to be excavated for the Green Line, would it not make sense to rough in a station for the Red Line? Otherwise when the Red Line is moved below grade, either the Green Line will need to close during construction or there will be no direct interchange between the two.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2018, 2:26 AM

It would still make sense, if that is the plan. But I would ask, why would they put the station so far north, if they planned to have an underground interchange with the Red Line?

Old Posted Aug 24, 2018, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
It would still make sense, if that is the plan. But I would ask, why would they put the station so far north, if they planned to have an underground interchange with the Red Line?
Because of geotech problems I assume. http://www.calgary.ca/_layouts/cocis...edirect=1&sf=1

Old Posted Aug 24, 2018, 5:42 PM

That actually makes sense looking at it.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2018, 2:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklehead2 View Post
I personally HATE the alignment chosen that moves the Centre Street station so far south. Yes it's great for area gentrification but a multi-modal hub near the Calgary Tower with a station would have been SOOOOOO much better given that the old VIA station that is used by the Mountaineer seems like the most logical place to re-establish multi-modal regional and high speed rail station in the next few years...
The Mountaineer hasn't used that station for years. When I contacted them they said they are a daytime sightseeing train and leaving from Calgary takes away too much daylight.

High speed rail will take decades not years.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2018, 9:28 PM

Not decades. This group is talking about restoring service using DMU or EMU's at 160 km/h in the next few years. And an emergency funding request is being talked about at the upcoming NDP convention...

https://www.albertaregionalrail.com/

Old Posted Aug 26, 2018, 2:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklehead2 View Post
Not decades. This group is talking about restoring service using DMU or EMU's at 160 km/h in the next few years. And an emergency funding request is being talked about at the upcoming NDP convention...

https://www.albertaregionalrail.com/
High speed rail is generally considered over 200km/h whereas they're proposing 160km/h. Not that there's anything wrong with that I think Calgary is ready for a commuter system but I don't think it's a high speed thing.

Have you tried emailing them?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure