HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted May 21, 2022, 2:42 PM

New City North 5-story wrap apartment project just received site plan approval and should be breaking ground later this year. Amenity space is on the 7th floor on top of parking garage. This is the lot between the new 6-story project already under construction and the existing High Street development wrapping the half finished High Street parking garage.

Old Posted May 21, 2022, 5:36 PM

That’s going to be a super dense area for multi family.

Old Posted May 22, 2022, 12:18 AM

^ What a snoozefest design in a prominent location. Wish some of these architects would go for it and 'break the mold' on these Broadstone style apartment complexes. Best attempt is Nelsen Partners apartments @ Scottsdale Quarter.

Old Posted May 22, 2022, 1:48 AM
Skyriser

Not entirely sure if this is what's going on here, but Desert Ridge is under a massive community association that appears to make doing anything there much more difficult than it needs to be. I don't really care to read through 175 pages of their specific plan but it wouldn't surprised me if blandness is codified in there.

https://desertridgelifestyles.com/wp...cific-Plan.pdf

Old Posted May 23, 2022, 3:25 PM

By Audrey Jensen - Reporter, Phoenix Business Journal
May 23, 2022

A famous mid-century office building in midtown Phoenix will soon become part of a mixed-use campus with new housing, amenities and an outdoor park for the community.

Formerly known as the Phoenix Financial Center, the Punch Card building was developed in the 1960s by Phoenix real estate developer David H. Murdock and designed by WA Sarmiento, a renowned Peruvian architect who was famous for his modern bank designs across the US and studied under Brazilian architect Oscar Neimeyer.

The 18-story office tower, as well as the two, 18,000-square-foot rotundas, or round buildings, sit at the northeast corner of Central Avenue and Osborn Road in the midtown Phoenix area across from Park Central Mall, which has also been transformed into a large mixed-use project.

The largest addition to the overall property will comprise a $100 million class A multifamily complex with 335 units totaling 400,000 square feet built over two underground parking lots on the east side of the office tower.

https://media.bizj.us/view/img/12267...-989-0-138.png

Old Posted May 23, 2022, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chestnut1 View Post
May 23, 2022

A famous mid-century office building in midtown Phoenix will soon become part of a mixed-use campus with new housing, amenities and an outdoor park for the community.

Formerly known as the Phoenix Financial Center, the Punch Card building was developed in the 1960s by Phoenix real estate developer David H. Murdock and designed by WA Sarmiento, a renowned Peruvian architect who was famous for his modern bank designs across the US and studied under Brazilian architect Oscar Neimeyer.

The 18-story office tower, as well as the two, 18,000-square-foot rotundas, or round buildings, sit at the northeast corner of Central Avenue and Osborn Road in the midtown Phoenix area across from Park Central Mall, which has also been transformed into a large mixed-use project.

The largest addition to the overall property will comprise a $100 million class A multifamily complex with 335 units totaling 400,000 square feet built over two underground parking lots on the east side of the office tower.

it looks like some of the apartments will have their own rooftop decks. Haven't seen that before, except in condos

Old Posted May 23, 2022, 3:32 PM

Quote:
May 23, 2022

Are the interiors going to get an update ?

Also this rendering clarfys how they are handling the parking garage situation. They aren’t lol

Old Posted May 23, 2022, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Are the interiors going to get an update ?

Also this rendering clarfys how they are handling the parking garage situation. They aren’t lol
The article quotes the main developer as stating that they are able to "salvage and reuse" the parking garages.

Old Posted May 23, 2022, 7:54 PM

Quote:
May 23, 2022

Hmmm, the spot they are putting the apartments looks like the spot from the original site plans they were going to do something similar. (I remember seeing those - but can't find them via quick search right now)

At least they left the sites open for the 'twin' but taller version of the same building - it'd be pretty nice if they built that out some day. Modern-retro.

Old Posted May 23, 2022, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymox View Post

Modern-retro.
Oh dont make me swoon! Some of the neo-gothic towers their building in NYC are incredible I hope the style spreads around.

Old Posted May 24, 2022, 5:58 PM

New mixed-use proposal for Thunderbird Towne Square at Scottsdale/Thunderbird near the airpark. Plan calls for 350 units at 7-stories in heigh and 30k SF of new retail pads.

https://azbex.com/planning-developme...ottsdale-road/

https://www.phoenix.gov/pddsite/Docu...%20stamped.pdf

Old Posted May 24, 2022, 6:31 PM
Modulator

I just drove through the Kierland area yesterday. I haven't been over there in quite a while. The Phoenix side of Scottsdale Rd. is leaving Scottsdale in the dust. I can't believe the density that is getting built along the West side of Scottsdale Rd. I wish Scottsdale would get it's act together. It would be amazing if they were building similar density *sigh*

Old Posted May 24, 2022, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
I just drove through the Kierland area yesterday. I haven't been over there in quite a while. The Phoenix side of Scottsdale Rd. is leaving Scottsdale in the dust. I can't believe the density that is getting built along the West side of Scottsdale Rd. I wish Scottsdale would get it's act together. It would be amazing if they were building similar density *sigh*
With cracker jax recently trading hands to a developer, there is hope we could see some higher density mixed use proposals coming out soon. Really the only buildable area between Thunderbird to Bell.

Old Posted May 24, 2022, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
Scottsdale does not want that kind of density and I doubt they will anytime soon.

Old Posted May 24, 2022, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Scottsdale does not want that kind of density and I doubt they will anytime soon.
Yeah - the Nextdoor forums up here are fully of rabid people who constantly complain about anything taller than 2 stories. The good news is that these people are in their 70s and aging out - it won't be long before the demographics change enough to alter the anti-growth city council and mayor. One or two more cycles at most.

Old Posted May 24, 2022, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Yeah - the Nextdoor forums up here are fully of rabid people who constantly complain about anything taller than 2 stories. The good news is that these people are in their 70s and aging out - it won't be long before the demographics change enough to alter the anti-growth city council and mayor. One or two more cycles at most.
LOL you are severely understating how long old boomers are going to hang around and vote

Furthermore I dont anticipate Xr's or the Millennials who want to live in north Scottsdale to be any less rabid as they get older about being anti density. If they want density they'd live Downtown or in Tempe and they'll make that argument.

Demographically speaking Xr's wont outnumber Boomers in the voting electorate for like 20 more years because there are way less Xr's than boomers. but again, the people of any age group that live in Scottsdale are simply not going to be the type of people to support density in Scottsdale.

Old Posted May 24, 2022, 9:04 PM

Quote:
LOL you are severely understating how long old boomers are going to hang around and vote

Furthermore I dont anticipate Xr's or the Millennials who want to live in north Scottsdale to be any less rabid as they get older about being anti density. If they want density they'd live Downtown or in Tempe and they'll make that argument.

Demographically speaking Xr's wont outnumber Boomers in the voting electorate for like 20 more years because there are way less Xr's than boomers. but again, the people of any age group that live in Scottsdale are simply not going to be the type of people to support density in Scottsdale.
I'm a bit more optimistic. First off - this area was always designed and zoned to be dense. Its just taken 30+ years to get to this point (demand/growth, etc). Second, I believe that once Phoenix lines the border with density it will spill over into Scottsdale for sure. It'll be extremely difficult to argue against a 7 story building when there are 14 story buildings literally across the street. As it stands right now - half the people in these groups don't even know where the city boundaries are. Finally, I think most 'younger' people in the area are accepting of this sort of thing - especially since a lot of them are new arrivals from comparably denser areas of Southern and Northern California.

I do honestly feel after watching those forums that there are just a couple boomer NIMBYs whipping all this up - and feel that this 'activism' will fall apart quickly after they realize they can't stop development on the Phoenix side, they'll just get too old to continue the effort.

As long as it doesn't drift too far out of the airpark area - there really is little to complain about. A few projects will drift out - there are 5 story buildings going up near Silverleaf between DC Ranch and McDowell Mtn Ranch - right up against the mountain. But further north will take some time.

Old Posted May 25, 2022, 4:58 PM

Quote:
I'm a bit more optimistic. First off - this area was always designed and zoned to be dense. Its just taken 30+ years to get to this point (demand/growth, etc). Second, I believe that once Phoenix lines the border with density it will spill over into Scottsdale for sure. It'll be extremely difficult to argue against a 7 story building when there are 14 story buildings literally across the street. As it stands right now - half the people in these groups don't even know where the city boundaries are. Finally, I think most 'younger' people in the area are accepting of this sort of thing - especially since a lot of them are new arrivals from comparably denser areas of Southern and Northern California.

I do honestly feel after watching those forums that there are just a couple boomer NIMBYs whipping all this up - and feel that this 'activism' will fall apart quickly after they realize they can't stop development on the Phoenix side, they'll just get too old to continue the effort.

As long as it doesn't drift too far out of the airpark area - there really is little to complain about. A few projects will drift out - there are 5 story buildings going up near Silverleaf between DC Ranch and McDowell Mtn Ranch - right up against the mountain. But further north will take some time.
I think at some point the city of Scottsdale will simply find it difficult to ignore the economic potential of density along this corridor. Proximity to the Kierland area is already a huge selling point for real estate in the area. Scottsdale would be unbelievably dumb to not capitalize on the potential of an area that Phoenix has heavily invested in and created *for you*, and I think we will see that sooner rather than later.

Old Posted May 25, 2022, 6:19 PM

Tallest Shipping Container Tower in North America Set to Open in Phoenix

Well, didn't know this project was going to be able to claim this distinction. Pretty cool. Also, didn't know about zero parking available to its residents.

https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news...erica-13693917
Quote:
Eighteen Phoenix families are poised to move next week into IDA on McKinley, the tallest tower in North America made entirely out of shipping containers, according to developers. The six-story, mixed-use new construction at McKinley and Third streets is a small step toward solving both the housing shortage and climate change crisis in Phoenix, according to the city.

The sustainability focused developer is enveloping the rooftop party deck with solar panels that will reduce the utility bill for the people in the building. The building also features communal outdoor showers for those who bike to work, an electric bike charging station, refillable water stations, and a 3,000-gallon rainwater collection tank. On that note, if you’re moving into IDA on McKinley, leave your car behind. There is no parking at 250 East McKinley Street.

Old Posted May 25, 2022, 6:23 PM

One question:

"The building also features communal outdoor showers for those who bike to work"

Wouldn't it be better to have a shower at work, where I'm going? Or are there going to be offices in this building?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest