HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Mar 27, 2008, 12:46 PM

Hey I noticed last night as I was going to target that there were windows going up in the windows were going up in the restaurant!!! And speaking of the restaurant does anyone know what kind of restaurant going in the top or there still going to be a restaurant going in?? Or any other plans for it??

Old Posted Apr 2, 2008, 3:45 PM
Wahoo Wah

Forbes article: Arc de Dixie -- not exactly a rave review.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2008, 4:23 PM

^^ I didn't read that as scathing or negative, really. His quote about Penn Station is right on the money as well.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2008, 4:58 PM
Wahoo Wah

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg View Post
^^ I didn't read that as scathing or negative, really. His quote about Penn Station is right on the money as well.
It's not overly negative, but it's not particularly positive. It's full of oblique digs, like calling it an ersatz monument.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2008, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey View Post
It's not overly negative, but it's not particularly positive. It's full of oblique digs, like calling it an ersatz monument.
When I read it, I got the feeling the author was not particularly fond of neo-classicism in general... not specifically the Arch.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2008, 7:20 PM

Best of all, he spelled Atlanta correctly.Be prepared for a rush of culture tourists to come see and crtique it for themselves.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2008, 8:00 PM

I really like this comment from Mr. Cook:

"America," he says, "needs a great neoclassical airport."

Now that would rock! Everybody's got a "modern" airport. I'd love to see one built along the lines of Caesars Palace.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2008, 8:15 PM
Wahoo Wah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea View Post
I really like this comment from Mr. Cook:

"America," he says, "needs a great neoclassical airport."

Now that would rock! Everybody's got a "modern" airport. I'd love to see one built along the lines of Caesars Palace.
Hilarious.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2008, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Thanks for posting this. They even provide a translation:

"This American monument was erected to commemorate all peaceful accomplishment since the birth of Christ"

Old Posted Apr 2, 2008, 9:01 PM

Quote:
I've never put much stock in what the "experts" have to say about subjective matters of taste, as it is human nature to sanctify ones own preferences. Most people will like what they like, regardless of what the self-important think. Hardy and Farnham admitted as much in their article when they wrote: "Few of these [neoclassic structures] have won plaudits from professors... Academics find the very notion of, say, a neoclassic Laundromat foolish. The buying public feels differently, however, and has voted with its wallet." Amen! Most great art is funded by patrons who spend their own money, and not by government grants.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2008, 9:25 PM
Wahoo Wah

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainiac View Post

"This American monument was erected to commemorate all peaceful accomplishment since the birth of Christ"
That's more a statement inspired by the inscription, rather than a translation of it.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2008, 9:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainiac View Post

Could they have put a more generic and innocuous inscription?

Bummer for all the peace makers born BC, I guess they're not worth commemorating.

Cause we all know that before Christ was born, nothing really counts.

I'm glad to see they include Carter and King, in their exhibits, but I've never thought of the New York robber barons as big peace makers.

I'm sure it would include Bush, since he's brought so much peach to Iraq and all.

I broke up a fight between my little nephew and his friend once, so I guess I'm included , and I helped get a cat out of a tree once. So, I'm just going to tell everyone it's a monument dedicated to me.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2008, 5:36 PM

I could not care less what some hoity-toity critic in New York City says about our arch. They think we're a bunch of yahoos anyway.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2008, 6:16 PM

No doubt the Arch is a bit strange, especially in the location on 17th St., but really, 50 years from now it will just be another "thing" for residents to look at with interest.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2008, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea View Post
I could not care less what some hoity-toity critic in New York City says about our arch. They think we're a bunch of yahoos anyway.
I agree. Poor NYC and most of the Northern big cities (where I came from 16 years ago), they have such a hard time accepting the fact that the demographics of this country are changing in such a profound way and they are the past demographic shift, not the present. It is always difficult to accept aging!

Old Posted Apr 3, 2008, 7:07 PM
i ain't no bubba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuckerman View Post
No doubt the Arch is a bit strange, especially in the location on 17th St., but really, 50 years from now it will just be another "thing" for residents to look at with interest.
If it lasts that long...
I was at AS a few weeks ago taking pictures of the arch. The western most of the two existing columns that was built a few years ago is not exactly aging gracefully...its already showing cracks and water damage. I've never been a big fan of this mess but since they didn't call me for my opinion prior to construction, I'll have to deal with it. I just hope the arch holds up better than what has already been completed.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2008, 7:12 PM
Man of Many Statistics

I just imagined a neo-classical city complete with highways, airports, and skyscrapers and nearly cried at the beauty. Oh well, back to reality and profit margins.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2008, 8:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dante2308 View Post
I just imagined a neo-classical city complete with highways, airports, and skyscrapers and nearly cried at the beauty. Oh well, back to reality and profit margins.
Well, the neo-classical city wasn't what it was when it was. Cities were always in transition. I think most people have an idea of a city that is a combination of experience and hope. For me, I always think of NYC as a 1940's city, a combination of movie images, bigness and nighclubs with everyone dressed in evening dress and apartments the size of a Buckhead mansion. I like that New York.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2008, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dante2308 View Post
And everybody wearing togas as they are driving their SUV's down the neo-classical connector

Old Posted Apr 4, 2008, 1:19 AM
Man of Many Statistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious Atlantan View Post
And everybody wearing togas as they are driving their SUV's down the neo-classical connector
Actually, can you imagine it? Damn it is hard to explain, but imagine ornate stone walls lining the highway, with stone onramps and bridges. Neoclassical skyscrapers would have super ornate ground levels and magnificent crowns... like a better 191 Peachtree. Statues and arches would herald the entrance into the center city. A large gate right over the highway would strike awe into commuters and tourists alike.

Of course with such opulence would come luxury cars and aircraft that make less a statement about efficiency or hauling capacity, but more one about how Atlanta is better than Rome, England, Greece, and pretty much every civilization on the planet and can afford beauty.

Then we fall as a civilization in our own hedonistic wealth, but it would sure be beautiful.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta