HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

880 Bay Street in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Toronto Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Toronto Forum   • Toronto Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Apr 26, 2013, 3:40 AM

SAN ANTONIO | Joske Tower | 390 FT | 30 FLOORS

Quote:
Originally Posted by My San Antonio
Architects on Tuesday unveiled a dramatic redesign of the proposed tower addition to the historic Joske's building downtown.
Made public last month, the first renderings showed a 23-story glass and steel structure — to house a hotel and timeshare units — that critics said would overwhelm the neighboring Alamo Plaza and contrast jarringly with the nearly 125-year-old Joske's building at Alamo and Commerce streets.

In the redesign, locally based Overland Architects shrank the Alamo Street side of the L-shaped addition to just 10 stories and added a cupola to the roof. With the exception of the hotel podium, the updated tower would feature less window space than the original design.

Read more: http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/loc...#ixzz2RXKn4PgU

Previous Design:

Old Posted Apr 26, 2013, 4:47 AM

Such a beautiful tower, hoping this gets built.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2013, 4:58 AM
REAL Kiwi!

That would be great for San Antonio. I like the new design.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2013, 10:08 PM
Meh

This says it will be "about 390 feet tall."
http://www.sanantonio.gov/historic/D...s_Addition.pdf

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B44f...RJYV9kTXc/edit

Here are all the renderings from those two.

The yellow triangle is showing where the Alamo is in relation to the development.

View from Alamo Street west of the convention center looking north.

View from Alamo Street looking south.

View from Alamo Street looking southeast.

View from Alamo Plaza looking south.

View from Alamo Plaza looking south.

And there is some controversy about the building being "so near" the Alamo. It's actually 500 feet from the Alamo as measured with Google Earth.

Here is the view from Alamo Street, across from the Alamo, showing how the building is mostly hidden from view by tree canopy.

This is the view from Alamo Plaza itself at a point that is about 100 feet west of the Alamo, as measured with Google Earth.

View from Alamo Plaza slightly north of the Alamo.

The view from in front of the Alamo showing its facade and the view looking toward the tower. The building isn't even visible from this spot, it's hidden by the trees.

This is showing the relative height of the west wing of the hotel that will face Alamo Street. The building on the left is the Emily Morgan Hotel. It is 205 feet tall.

Shadow studies showing where they'll be in relation to the Alamo Plaza. I added the circles to show the building and the Alamo.

Diagram with other buildings. The numbers listed below are the distances to the Alamo.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Apr 27, 2013, 7:27 AM
Everywhere all at once

SO. MUCH. BETTER.

I'll be honest, with the original proposal, I was all "at least they're building a skyscraper in San Antonio for one." But this I can appreciate...we went from drawing inspiration from the Marriott Rivercenter or Grand Hyatt to drawing inspiration from the Tower Life Building. God bless

Old Posted Apr 27, 2013, 1:07 PM
Resident Moron

Very nice tower... very nice.

I also *might* give the NIMBYs a little more credibility about "it will ruin the ambiance from the Alamo" thing if across the street there were not 8000 Ripley's believe it or nots. Those are doing far more damage to the area surrounding the Alamo than this building ever could.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2013, 7:12 PM

Looks like some kind of art deco revival. Very smart design. I'm sure it'll fit into the skyline nicely.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2013, 10:03 PM
Meh

I really like this building. This is where San Antonio's skyline should be going. It's a respectful nod to the style of yesteryear without being dull and overly reserved. It reminds me of some of the art-deco revival buildings in Chicago and Minneapolis, some of which are some of my favorite buildings anywhere.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Apr 28, 2013, 1:52 AM

Looks good. Any high rise addition to the San Antonio skyline is welcome in my opinion. Although I liked the original design for the building, the new design fits way more with the San Antonio skyline. Hopefully this gets built. Austin is leaving San Antonio in the dust.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2013, 4:03 AM

Glad to see my hometown get something relatively appealing.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2013, 9:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I really like this building. This is where San Antonio's skyline should be going. It's a respectful nod to the style of yesteryear without being dull and overly reserved. It reminds me of some of the art-deco revival buildings in Chicago and Minneapolis, some of which are some of my favorite buildings anywhere.
Agree The Wells Fargo Center in Minneapolis is among my top 3 in the nation. First time I saw the renderings for the current project, that's the building that came to mind. I couldn't be happier with this project. Really hoping the ball gets rolling on this, and the HDRC doesn't screw it up. Like you said Kevin this building is the exact direction downtown San Antonio needs to be going. " From a design standpoint"

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive