HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted Oct 4, 2016, 4:59 PM

Hell, let's get something over 300 feet built first.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2016, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korey View Post
Hell, let's get something over 300 feet built first.
The new hotel being constructed near the arena is going to be 339 feet according to Wikipedia. But yeah, if they built the Capitol Grand Tower now Sacramento skyline would look weird like Oklahoma City with their one 844 feet tower rising above all the short buildings. A city shouldn't get a tower topping 1,000 feet unless they first build some 600 and 700 feet towers.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2016, 7:26 PM
Sonoma Strong

I don't think that looks bad. It would look better if it was in the middle of the cluster, but if Sac had one tall tower I think that would still look good. Just my personal opinion.

Pictures of Santa Rosa, So. Co.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2016, 8:24 PM

Hahah I was thinking specifically of OKC and Devon Tower too. It is a beautiful building and doesn't drag down the skyline per se, but it it a bit out of scale with the rest.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2016, 11:44 PM

Devon Energy Tower is one of my favorite towers in America actually. That is one sweet tower for sure. One day I was searching Wikipedia for the tallest towers in America and I came across this tower and I was like "what the hell? How the *&%$ did OKC get a skyscraper like that?" Their pathetic skyline doesn't even come close to deserving an addition that spectacular. It's like some ugly slob guy getting a date with a supermodel.

That's a tower that belongs in Seattle just like the Thunder (Supersonics). After OKC got the Thunder out of Seattle they built this tower, so maybe Sacramento, now that they got the new arena downtown and Kings are staying here, not Seattle, we might see our own Devon Energy type tower rising as well hopefully. Funny how both Sacramento and OKC have a bad connection with Seattle. So that's why I think it's possible this could happen here in the next few years. Just follow in the footsteps of OKC.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2016, 12:16 AM
Megalonorcal 11M~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justbuildit View Post

That's a tower that belongs in Seattle just like the Thunder (Supersonics). After OKC got the Thunder out of Seattle they built this tower, so maybe Sacramento, now that they got the new arena downtown and Kings are staying here, not Seattle, we might see our own Devon Energy type tower rising as well hopefully. Funny how both Sacramento and OKC have a bad connection with Seattle. So that's why I think it's possible this could happen here in the next few years. Just follow in the footsteps of OKC.
And OKC isn't 80 miles from SF. That's one of our biggest issues

Old Posted Oct 5, 2016, 12:21 AM

Just follow in the footsteps of OKC Sacramento.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2016, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma99a View Post
And OKC isn't 80 miles from SF. That's one of our biggest issues
That's B.S. Why does SF get to hog all the tall buildings? Especially when it would be safer to build them in Sacramento without them sinking into the earth, less earthquake prone. At least give us one super tall.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2016, 2:32 AM

Quote:
That's B.S. Why does SF get to hog all the tall buildings? Especially when it would be safer to build them in Sacramento without them sinking into the earth, less earthquake prone. At least give us one super tall.
No Fortune 500 companies in Sac.

I'm not looking for Sac to have one super tall, honestly. If it someday happens, great. But I rather have several 300-430 foot high-rises that adds to the CBD's density and urban scale.

I'm looking forward to seeing the modifications to the Vanir Tower.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2016, 4:29 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

Sacramento will always be my hometown so I'm always hoping to see it reach its potential without losing its character. A skyline looks great but honestly I'm more interested in high density housing whether it's mid or high rise in the central city. The ground level pedestrian activity is the most important factor in creating safe and vibrant urban centers. Light rail, the Sacramento Valley Station, Golden 1 Center and a renovated Community Center Theater all contribute (or will contribute in the future) to making the central city a more attractive place to live. Hopefully in a few years, Sacramento will add a new MLS stadium and team.

I'm doubtful that Sacramento will ever see anything built over 500 ft in height. There just isn't a commercial necessity for more high rise office buildings in Sacramento. Maybe a residential proposal will eventually get built between the 300-400 ft range, but I wouldn't expect anything much beyond that. Honestly even that would be a huge win for Sacramento. The Sacramento market still needs to prove that midrise and high rise residential buildings can work in Sacramento (pencil out). That's why the future of the Yamanee is so critical for Sacramento.

Still, I'm doubtful it will happen anytime soon.

Last edited by urban_encounter; Oct 5, 2016 at 4:46 AM.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2016, 4:43 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Man, that would be awesome if Sacramento had the tallest in the US outside of NY and Chicago. I don't know if there is any height restrictions downtown, so that could one day be a possibility.

Yeah that's an old rumor (not even a solid proposal). A tower that tall would look out of place on Sacramento's (very modest) skyline. I think 550 ft. would be a good (max) height for a new tallest. (Although I think even that height is unlikely in Sacramento because there's no market for it).

Old Posted Oct 11, 2016, 4:21 PM

Well, at least Sacramento has a more impressive skyline than Washington D.C. when it comes to height. D.C. doesn't have a building over 300 feet. I always found it funny that the capital California had a more impressive skyline than the capital of America.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2016, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Well, at least Sacramento has a more impressive skyline than Washington D.C. when it comes to height. D.C. doesn't have a building over 300 feet. I always found it funny that the capital California had a more impressive skyline than the capital of America.
No, with limited exceptions, we don't have buildings over 130 feet in DC.

Here is some background: Height_of_Buildings_Act_of_1910.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2016, 6:14 PM

"Sacramento Kings plan apartments, shops on vacant, blighted K Street block":

http://www.sacbee.com/news/business/...109006682.html

Quote:
Conceptual plans for the site call for a new mid-rise apartment building filling the empty lot at Eighth and K and extending to L Street, according to a city staff report.
Mid-rise at 800 K seems quite underwhelming. There should be another Yamanee-sized proposal (at least), at such a prime location.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2016, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yolonative View Post
"Sacramento Kings plan apartments, shops on vacant, blighted K Street block":

http://www.sacbee.com/news/business/...109006682.html

Mid-rise at 800 K seems quite underwhelming. There should be another Yamanee-sized proposal (at least), at such a prime location.
I agree, it better not be another 5 story wood framed midtown type of apartment building. We have lots of those already we don't need another one downtown. Maybe the the proposal won't get past the planning commission if it's not dense enough?

Old Posted Oct 21, 2016, 5:10 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
I agree, it better not be another 5 story wood framed midtown type of apartment building. We have lots of those already we don't need another one downtown. Maybe the the proposal won't get past the planning commission if it's not dense enough?
As long as the Kings are willing to construct quality residential projects in Downtown Sacramento, I wouldn't get picky in terms of the building height. It likely will be a proposal in the 5-6 story range. Five or six stories may not look impressive on the skyline but more importantly, it will increase pedestrian traffic in the J, K L street corridors.

I suspect that (IF) a high rise residential tower ever gets built in Sacramento, it might be David Taylor who ends up taking the first crack at developing it. But I wouldn't expect anything from Taylor (in terms of proposals) for a few more years.

Last edited by urban_encounter; Oct 21, 2016 at 9:38 AM.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2016, 7:32 AM
Megalonorcal 11M~

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_encounter View Post
As long as the Kings are willing to construct quality residential projects in Downtown Sacramento, I wouldn't get picky in terms of the building height. It likely will be a proposal in the 5-6 story range. Five or six stories may not look impressive on the skyline but more importantly, it will increase pedestrian traffic in the J, K L street corridors.

I suspect that (IF) a high rise residential tower ever gets built in Sacramento, it might be David Taylor who ends up taking the first crack at developing it. But I wouldn't expect anything from Taylor (in terms of proposals) for a few more years.

Meh put me on the anti 5-6 story list. They can do better. Let's see something like the failed cathedral tower

Old Posted Oct 22, 2016, 9:53 PM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma99a View Post
Meh put me on the anti 5-6 story list. They can do better. Let's see something like the failed cathedral tower
I agree it would make for a more visually satisfying skyline if they were to be something taller but that's just not going to happen in Sacramento for the foreseeable future. Builders just don't think it would pencil out.
How many people in Sacramento would pay the kind of prices that developers would need to take in to make it happen, is anyone's guess.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2016, 5:53 PM

$800K for a 1 bedroom condo unit and a $600 homeowner's fee in Sacramento? I don't think so.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2016, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamehameha View Post
$800K for a 1 bedroom condo unit and a $600 homeowner's fee in Sacramento? I don't think so.

That is an exaggeration lol. I just viewed the nicest condos ever built in downtown Sacramento right next to Zocalo on 18th and Capital ave. The largest unit, steel built, 11 foot ceilings, 2 bedrooms, private spa and private deck, covered parking, an elevator and the most beautiful modern cabinets and bathrooms ( I have seen outside SF) sold for $900,000.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area