HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West

Old Posted Mar 10, 2011, 11:43 PM

According to the Press Telegram, the separated bicycle lanes in downtown Long Beach on Broadway and Third Street in between Golden and Alamitos are nearly complete.

In other news, the Press Telegram also recently reported that 4th Street in between Long Beach Blvd and Alamitos got a $1.5 million face lift in the form of new lighting, facade improvements to local businesses, bike racks, public art, and new bus shelters.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2011, 5:57 PM

A new draft EIR for the development dubbed 2nd + PCH is being recirculated on the Long Beach Development Services website. According to the Belmont Patch, the new draft addresses inadequacies admitted by proponents of the project. The draft EIR states that the project "would include up to a 191,475 square feet of retail uses, 325 residential units, a 100-room hotel with 3,510 square feet of meeting space and 4,368 square feet of restaurant space, 21,092 square feet of non-hotel restaurant space, a 99-seat theater, a 4,175-square-foot marine/science learning center, and associated landscaping and open space." The buildings throughout the project would range from two to six stories with a maximum height of 12 stories for one residential tower. The project also includes 1,440 parking spaces.

Images from aforementioned Belmont Patch article

Click here to see images of the project from the developer's website.

I hear a lot of Naples and Belmont Shore residents are not happy with the traffic impacts and other environmental impacts of the project. What do you all think?

Old Posted Mar 15, 2011, 7:58 AM

That old hotel is an eyesore and should have been torn down a long time ago. I can see what they're saying about traffic, PCH and 2nd street are two main throughfares so there's already a lot of traffic as it is...

Old Posted Mar 16, 2011, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBono24 View Post
That old hotel is an eyesore and should have been torn down a long time ago. I can see what they're saying about traffic, PCH and 2nd street are two main throughfares so there's already a lot of traffic as it is...
I feel the same way but am slightly more in favor of the project. Long Beach is built out and can only go up from here. Growth is also inevitable. As it is, traffic relative to many other parts of Southern California is not that bad in Long Beach in general and also at that intersection. I would feel better about it if there were some sort of rail line that served the area. However,I think that's asking a bit too much of Southern California and regardless, it would be decades before one could be built. Also, the tax benefits are rather enticing.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2011, 2:53 AM

An article from the Gazette confirming what kbrows said in a previous post regarding the Seniors Arts Colony at Long Beach Blvd and Anaheim St. Construction has begun!

Old Posted Mar 17, 2011, 8:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityKid View Post
I feel the same way but am slightly more in favor of the project. Long Beach is built out and can only go up from here. Growth is also inevitable. As it is, traffic relative to many other parts of Southern California is not that bad in Long Beach in general and also at that intersection. I would feel better about it if there were some sort of rail line that served the area. However,I think that's asking a bit too much of Southern California and regardless, it would be decades before one could be built. Also, the tax benefits are rather enticing.
Oh I'm totally in favor of the project, I love the drawings on their website. I just meant I can see their point of view about the traffic.

It only really gets bad during rush hour or weekends, when lots of people are cruising/commuting through that intersection and the traffic backs up on 2nd Street and blocks lanes on PCH.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2011, 3:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBono24 View Post
Oh I'm totally in favor of the project, I love the drawings on their website. I just meant I can see their point of view about the traffic.

It only really gets bad during rush hour or weekends, when lots of people are cruising/commuting through that intersection and the traffic backs up on 2nd Street and blocks lanes on PCH.

For the sake of clarity, I was trying--obviously very badly--to agree with you that I can understand why people would be concerned with traffic and assumed that you were in favor of the project. I also wanted to flesh out my ideas on why I supported the project despite those concerns and in no way was trying to argue with you about it or anything.

I hope I was more clear this time.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2011, 4:24 PM
SC made me a hippie

Does anyone know anything about the downtown fresh and easy? I passed through the other day and it seems like nothing is happening... Didnt they sign a lease almost 2 years ago?

Old Posted Mar 19, 2011, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityKid View Post
Unfortunately, I have not heard anything else.
Good news I rode my bike my there today and it looks like Le Creperie is still going to open in that spot. They removed the coverings from the windows, so hopefully soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaCruzGuy View Post
Does anyone know anything about the downtown fresh and easy? I passed through the other day and it seems like nothing is happening... Didnt they sign a lease almost 2 years ago?
Yes it's been a slow process especially since there are other stores nearby that have either opened (Signal Hill) and one in Bixby Knolls looks like it will open soon. Both stores were built from scratch, whereas the one at City Place in in an already built up shopping center. It sucks because this is walking distance from my condo, but yet I still have drive over to the one on 7th Street about 10 minutes away in my car.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2011, 6:17 AM

I understand from a worker at another F&E that the Bixby Knolls store is delayed until the fall due to environmental remediation in the parking lot.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2011, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paczki View Post
I understand from a worker at another F&E that the Bixby Knolls store is delayed until the fall due to environmental remediation in the parking lot.
Thank you for the information. Do you have any idea what they mean by "environmental remediation?" Did someone forget to clean up an old oil well or something?

Old Posted Mar 31, 2011, 3:58 AM

From the Gazette, the new Long Beach courthouse will break ground next week.

Quote:
Good news I rode my bike my there today and it looks like Le Creperie is still going to open in that spot. They removed the coverings from the windows, so hopefully soon.
I stumbled upon this Craigslist ad looking for staff for the new downtown Long Beach Creperie posted on March 20th. They must be opening soon.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2011, 8:23 AM

From driving around the F&E on Atlantic, it appears the remediation is taking place in the lot on Lime Ave, directly behind the store. I can't remember if that lot used to have an industrial building or a well. The F&E is on the old MBZ dealership (which more recently was a DriveTime); the corner of Lime and 33rd had a the repair garage, but this lot looks to be north of that building and not part of the original dealership. A sizable portion of the lot is fenced off, dug out, and the contaminated earth exposed to the air (which may be the remediation).

Old Posted Apr 9, 2011, 8:49 PM

Old Posted Apr 12, 2011, 4:19 PM

Looks like construction started last week (Thursday) on the Long Beach courthouse:

Image Source: LBPOST.com

Old Posted Apr 20, 2011, 8:35 PM
SC made me a hippie

Does anyone know what is going on with the press telegram building on pine?! I saw construction equipment, people actually working on the building and some of the back of the building being torn off this morning... Any news on any development on pine? This thread has been really slow... What is the news on the rental project that was to go accross the street from Wokcano on the promenade? What about the hotel at the pike? I saw that it was turned into a small park... does it mean the project is not happening?

Old Posted Apr 21, 2011, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaCruzGuy View Post
Does anyone know what is going on with the press telegram building on pine?! I saw construction equipment, people actually working on the building and some of the back of the building being torn off this morning... Any news on any development on pine? This thread has been really slow... What is the news on the rental project that was to go accross the street from Wokcano on the promenade? What about the hotel at the pike? I saw that it was turned into a small park... does it mean the project is not happening?
I regularly read multiple news sources and try to post news that is relevant and adds something new to the discussion. If the pace of the forum has been slow, it is probably a reflection of the slow economic growth that we are facing particularly in the real estate market. It also might reflect the instability that developers currently face as a result of having to work with the Long Beach Redevelopment Agency, an agency that Jerry Brown's budget proposal would eliminate this coming June. The latest news I heard about the parcel across from Wokcano was mentioned in this post from December 2010. I haven't heard any news of any other project you mentioned. Regarding the Press-Telegram Building, what type of activity did you see? What type of equipment were they using? That might give us a clue as to what they were doing.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2011, 5:01 PM
SC made me a hippie

They removed a large part of the back-middle of the building. There were some construction crews adding supports to the existing building... There were some construction equipment for removing the parts of the building they did remove, but none were large cranes.

Old Posted May 3, 2011, 3:38 AM

^^^ On April 26th, Robert Garcia, Councilman of the First District wrote this on his Facebook wall: "FYI for Downtown Residents: The construction at the Press-Telegram Development is demolition work only. The property owners are clearing and demolishing non-historical buildings. No final development project has been proposed yet, but once it has, we will get it out to the community as soon as we know."

Also, according to the Press-Telegram, a South-African developer is interested in building a 300-room hotel on the southeast corner of Pine and Ocean, formerly the site of the Edgewater, and would like to include an adaptive reuse of the Jergins Tunnel built in 1927 as pedestrian friendly entrance to the Pike. This is just an agreement for preliminary negotiations, but hopefully this leads somewhere.

Old Posted May 20, 2011, 9:35 PM

I was at home over the weekend and took some photos of projects going on in Long Beach.

The renovation at the Long Beach Transit Mall--excuse me--"Gallery" is complete including the canopies:

Close by the new Long Beach Bikestation is under construction:

Landscaping on the Promenade between Ocean Blvd and 1st Street was completed:

And there is a whole lot of nothing going on at the new site of the Long Beach Courthouse:

La Creperie is set to open soon on Pine Ave. I couldn't get a photo of the inside, but the decor is similar to the restaurant on 2nd Street:

And something new seems to be making it's way up the street at the former location of Smooth's:

Berlin Coffeehouse in the new Fingerprints opened:

You can notice some of the lighting improvements that were installed between Long Beach Blvd. and Alamitos on 4th Street in this photo:

I would have liked to have gone to the site of the new Senior Arts Colony, but I didn't have time to. Perhaps on the next trip home.

Last edited by CityKid; May 20, 2011 at 9:39 PM. Reason: Added more photos

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West