HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 25, 2013, 11:43 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon716 View Post
Why would it be an either/or scenario regarding a potential HCA anchored 40 story tower and WES? Isn't WES already anchored by several unrelated companies to HCA, and its a mixed used project that also isn't reliant on a corporate HQ entirely?

These seem like two completely independent projects. And if true, is a great development.
The WES site has been dead for months, and some people (including me) think that this new tower from Tony G is for HCA; that doesn't mean that HCA has been talking to him, but if a global company was relocating to Nashville we would have heard something else about it. That's why I think it's just HCA exploring another option.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2013, 1:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidTenn1 View Post
Mirydi, on another site, asked for a picture of the skyline with all major developments rendered. Here is my crude attempt.

View of Nashville's 40 block long skyline from Belmont University.
Awesome!...That turned out pretty good MidTenn! Thanks a bunch for doing that!...

Maybe you could throw in the rumored 30 story Westin, and the Hilton Garden Inn on KVB for good measure...

Old Posted Sep 26, 2013, 1:13 AM
Future God

might as well throw in the 40 story Four Seasons in the Gulch, though that is probably a bit pie-in-the-sky!

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Sep 26, 2013, 1:29 AM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnaBreaker View Post
might as well throw in the 40 story Four Seasons in the Gulch, though that is probably a bit pie-in-the-sky!
Yeah, I don't see that one happening at all.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2013, 1:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon716 View Post
Why would it be an either/or scenario regarding a potential HCA anchored 40 story tower and WES? Isn't WES already anchored by several unrelated companies to HCA, and its a mixed used project that also isn't reliant on a corporate HQ entirely?

These seem like two completely independent projects. And if true, is a great development.
The two anchor tenant's signed on with WES (Parallon and SCRI) are not unrelated companies to HCA, they are subsidiaries of HCA. HCA is a company all by itself, and it is not an unlikely scenerio that HCA is the company Tony is in talks with. I could see HCA signing on with Tony's 41 story proposal and Parallon & SCRI moving forward with WES. This is the scenerio that I'm hoping for anyway, and it doesn't really seem like an unlikely one at that. Atleast not IMO anyway's.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2013, 1:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkitekte View Post
Yeah, I don't see that one happening at all.
Well, it's still a possibility. Did you see this article?

http://nashvillepost.com/news/2013/9...hotel_in_gulch

Old Posted Sep 26, 2013, 2:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIRYDI View Post
The two anchor tenant's signed on with WES (Parallon and SCRI) are not unrelated companies to HCA, they are subsidiaries of HCA. HCA is a company all by itself, and it is not an unlikely scenerio that HCA is the company Tony is in talks with. I could see HCA signing on with Tony's 41 story proposal and Parallon & SCRI moving forward with WES. This is the scenerio that I'm hoping for anyway, and it doesn't really seem like an unlikely one at that. Atleast not IMO anyway's.
I am aware that HCA is the parent company of SCRI, I didn't know about Parallon, but if they are subsidiaries and HCA is talking about a corporate HQ - not its subsidiaries - then that means both towers have an anchor tenant. These are all ifs as I am unsure how HCA is ran or what its structure is, or where SCRI or Parallon fits into the picture.

If anyone here is privy to the information, feel free to opine.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2013, 1:36 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Nashville's plan for SoBro-Gulch pedestrian bridge is big on bold
700-foot-long bridge could cost up to $16 million
http://www.tennessean.com/article/20...ridge-big-bold

Quote:
Mayor Karl Dean’s administration is moving forward on plans to connect SoBro and the Gulch, two of downtown Nashville’s hottest neighborhoods, with an architecturally eye-popping pedestrian bridge with a hefty price tag.

In moves key to executing the project, Metro last month hired engineering and construction firms to oversee what city officials estimate could cost as much as $16 million to build.

Conceptual plans, obtained by The Tennessean but which the city hasn’t formally released, call for a 700-foot-long cable bridge that winds across the CSX rail lines, connecting 10th Avenue South of Cummins Station to Pine Street in the Gulch, near the rear of the new Pine Street Flats and Velocity apartments.
Quote:
A soaring 160-foot pillar, visible across downtown, would anchor the bridge on the SoBro end, with a shorter 100-foot version on the Gulch side. The bridge, 30 feet wide, would be accessible to bicyclists and pedestrians via staircases, ramps and glass elevators. It also would feature bands of raised park space along its entire surface.
Quote:
The city has since moved to award contracts for the pedestrian bridge, hiring the engineering firm Parson Brinckerhoff, which helped produce the conceptual design, and Bell & Associates Construction.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2013, 1:39 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Not good for Palmer and WES at all, this might be the final blow.

Palmer tweaks West End Summit; lien placed on project
http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville...mmit-lien.html

Quote:
Developer Alex Palmer has tweaked plans for West End Summit to make the project easier to finance, The Tennessean reports.
Palmer also told The Tennessean a lien has been placed on the project by an excavation company, a tactic usually employed when a contractor has not been paid for its work. Palmer claimed this would be resolved and would not impact financing.
Quote:
The changes come as HCA has said it is exploring other options for bringing 2,000 jobs to Nashville, as first reported by the Nashville Business Journal. Two HCA subsidiaries, Parallon Business Solutions and Sarah Cannon, were to anchor the project.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2013, 2:15 PM

Quote:

Oh wow these new render's look awesome!

Quote:
Not good for Palmer and WES at all, this might be the final blow.

Palmer tweaks West End Summit; lien placed on project
http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville...mmit-lien.html
Ugh! Haven't we heard about this lien from the excavation company for quite some time now, or is this a totally different one?

I'm not ready to give up on this just yet. I'm sure if he secures financing, whatever money is owed to this company will be payed right away, and it kind of sounds like a small detail in the big picture. What I'm worried about is if this thing does rise, is it going to look like a turd now because of the design changes. I bet that wouldn't be the last tweak to the design that's for sure.

Oh well. If it happens it happens, If not...so be it. At this point, if using precast concrete versus using all glass like originally planned can seal the deal, then I'm fine with it.

Time is running out for Mr. Palmer, and it seem's like he is in desperation mode. Hopefully this tweak can move thing's forward.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2013, 3:31 PM

Quote:
I saw this earlier and was going to post it here, you beat me to it. Functionally speaking, connecting pedestrian traffic across SoBro and the Gulch this way sounds like a perfect idea. The street-level experience for visitors and residents will be enhanced and, one hopes, this will only make the entire core area more vibrant and spur on further development.

What do you guys think about the cost? A friend on Facebook says $16M is ludicrously high and is "going into someone's pocket." I know construction is a lot more expensive than it used to be, but don't have an intuitive sense for whether this figure is reasonable. Any thoughts?

Old Posted Sep 26, 2013, 4:02 PM
Future God

$16 million sounds reasonable to me for how nice it's going to be. Some Nashvillians still aren't used to the fact that sometimes, you have to pay good money if you want nice things. Personally, I love the bridge, and I think it's vital to rebuilding the connectivity in our urban core.

Regarding the WES news, I don't blame AP for wanting to maintain an optimistic face in the public eye, but let's face it. The writing is on the wall.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Sep 26, 2013, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnaBreaker View Post
$16 million sounds reasonable to me for how nice it's going to be.
Thanks, that's kinda what I thought.

Quote:
Some Nashvillians still aren't used to the fact that sometimes, you have to pay good money if you want nice things.
Ha! That's true enough, and well said.

Quote:
Regarding the WES news, I don't blame AP for wanting to maintain an optimistic face in the public eye, but let's face it. The writing is on the wall.
Agreed on all points.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2013, 4:56 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

I personally think 16 million is right around what it should cost, if not slightly low. This design isn't cheap, it won't be cheap to construct, I'm assuming Metro will have to purchase some property or air rights from CSX, infrastructure upgrades to accommodate this, etc. In any case I think the design is sexy as hell and if anything similar is built it should look amazing at night depending on the lighting scheme.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2013, 4:56 PM
Future God

I posted this over on urbanplanet in regards to the bridge, so thought I might as well post it here too! Sorry if this is repeat reading for anyone. haha

That thing is beautiful and, in my opinion, well worth the price tag. I agree that at first glance, this might seem a silly expense merely to save 600 feet of walking, but although one can access The Gulch on foot via Demonbreun, there is still a major physical separation brought on by the railroad tracks and, more notably, a major physiological separation for pedestrians that might hinder them from making the journey on foot. This bridge, in physical terms, may only lop a few hundred feet off of the walk, but it creates a sort of 'grand entrance' to The Gulch, which is huge in terms of making the walk exponentially more inviting and feel more worth the trip.

Beyond that, since this bridge will be visible from afar, it creates interest in people (say, tourists or conventioneers) that aren't all that aware of The Gulch and what it has to offer. After a convention, people might funnel out of the MCC in the mood for a night out, see the bright shining beacon that is this bridge, and end up wandering in that direction rather than making a B-line for Broadway. To me, creating a great pedestrian experience at street level is worth every penny a city can afford to pump into it. Sure, technically, people can walk down Demonbreun, past some dark alleys and empty lots, but if Nashville as a city is going to rely on that connection point to get people into The Gulch, then they'll have to get used to being disappointed by the numbers of people actually making the journey. The island paradise might be visible from the shore, but if you have to swim through shark-infested waters to get there, most people aren't going to feel it's worth it to make the trip.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Sep 26, 2013, 7:27 PM

Ok...It's official. Nashville is about to blow up! I'm almost speechless by how much this man has got on his plate for Nashville.

Tony Giarratanna is at it again boy's!

Exclusive: Tony Giarratana planning a downtown condo high-rise
http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville...-downtown.html

Quote:
Nashville's condo market is back. And so is Tony Giarratana.

The Nashville developer, who has already announced new apartment, hotel and mixed-use office projects, says he wants to build Nashville's first high-rise condo project since the recession.

Giarratana told the Nashville Business Journal he is determined to start building a condo high-rise in the downtown or SoBro area sometime during construction of his SoBro apartment tower. The apartment project is slated to get underway later this year and take 18 months to complete.
Anybody got a guess on where this one might end up? Also, seeing all the high profile architects he has been working with lately, I bet it will be a stunner!

This is just incredible the amount of activity going on here!

Old Posted Sep 27, 2013, 12:25 AM

Looks like the stop Amp group has got some competition. I wish we had a group launching to support LRT instead.

New group launching to support The Amp
http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville...t-the-amp.html

Amp Yes Coalition announced to fight for rapid transit
http://nashvillepost.com/news/2013/9..._rapid_transit

Quote:
A group of business and community leaders are coming together to support The Amp, the bus rapid-transit system championed by Mayor Karl Dean.
According to a news release, the new group, Amp Coalition, "will advocate for a long-term rapid-transit strategy for the Nashville region, beginning with [The Amp]."
Quote:
Amp Coalition will be formally unveiled in a news conference at 9 a.m. Friday at Bridgestone Arena. According to a media advisory touting the press conference, some of the attendees will include: Mayor Dean; Ralph Schulz, president and CEO of the Nashville Area Chamber of Commerce; Mike Schatzlein, president and CEO of Saint Thomas Health; Kenya Stevens, a board member of Transit Now; and Thomas O'Connell, a Metropolitan Transit Authority board member.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2013, 12:38 AM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIRYDI View Post

[/B]Anybody got a guess on where this one might end up? Also, seeing all the high profile architects he has been working with lately, I bet it will be a stunner!

This is just incredible the amount of activity going on here!
Idk, maybe First Baptist is ready to part ways with another part of their parking lot.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2013, 7:28 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

The Gulch pedestrian bridge looks really cool. It reminds me of a gussied up version of the Bagley pedestrian bridge that crosses the I-75/I-96 interchange in Mexicantown in Southwest Detroit:

It's a bit over 400 feet and only has one pylon, so it was only $5 million. Looks like the Gulch bridge is quit a bit longer and with another pylon, and with more bells and whistles, I can see how it could get up to $16 milllion.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2013, 1:20 PM

So I was reading this article about Tony Giarratana in the NBJ this morning, and there was a slideshow of some of his projects. Well, as I scrolled through I happened to come across an updated render for his proposed Marriott hotel designed by Gensler. This looks MUCH better than what we have seen previously, and there is some design changes as well. It also says work is slated to start next year. check it out in the link below as it won't allow me to post the picture. It's the second one in the slideshow.

Slideshow: Tony Giarratana’s drawing board
http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville...ing-board.html

Quote:
Marriott Hotel: Giarratana has proposed a 400-room Marriott Hotel across from Music City Center on Demonbreun Street. He has a contract to buy the land from First Baptist Church; work is slated to start next year.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations