HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 4, 2007, 3:53 AM

I pass the Summit site daily and note the excavation is quickly expanding.
I believe Bovis is beginning cassions now. My office is just up the street on
West End, so I am going to have a ringside seat for this one. It certainly adds a great deal of elegance to the location. Too long has the area been dominated by car dealers sprawling lots. However, I can't be as pleased with the dreadful piss chartruse and navy blue paint job on what is to be Hotel Indigo. Any bets as to how long they will stay in business?

Not all the area news is bad. 1808 was recently sold and will be redeveloped
into a nicer appearance and the demolition was just completed of the old funeral home next to Bristol on Broadway. This is the site for the 2 new 16-17 towers I believe, so hopefully there will be some renderings released soon.
There is a new project starting up across from ASCAP at 17th and 21st Avenue that is rather nice, though not very tall. At least they are saving the historic mansion facing the intersection and incorporating it into the project.
Rythem excavation is well underway and the site across from it on Demonbreum should be getting some new projects announced very soon.
For all practical purposes, it is an annex to the Gulch developments, which as an area is very vigorously building.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2007, 3:05 AM

Actually, I have found out, the construction begun on the site
of the funeral home next to Bristol on Broadway will be a Hilton
Garden Terrace Hotel. Has anyone seen any renderings of this
yet? There already is a Hilton across from the new symphony hall
on Demonbreun, so howdoes this one differ?

Old Posted Nov 2, 2007, 5:48 PM
Nashville born and raised

Latest Update

[QUOTE=heckles;2363831]

Here is the latest news on major developments:

Signature Tower
http://www.signaturetowernashville.com/
*Will be tallest skyscraper in the US outside New York and Chicago upon completion in 2009, surpassing Bank of America Atlanta
Height has been reduced to 1,030 ft. Ground breaking is scheduled for December/January after several delays.

The Pinnacle at Symphony Place
29 stories - 432 ft - completion slated for 2009
Excavation is nearly complete. Base for tower crane is in place!

ICON
A little more than halfway up.

The Encore

Has been topped out. Crane is removed.

1201 Demonbreun
20 and 22 floors

No new news. Was scheduled for 2008 (?).

Westin Nashville
19 stories - 201 ft
No news lately. Groundbreaking postponed.

West End Summit

Tower 1 - 385 ft - 26 floors
Tower 2 - 285 (?) ft - 23 floors

Excavation nearly complete. Should install crane within weeks.

The SoBro
25 stories
No news on this one.
[
Adelicia Condos
18 stories
Topped out, should open soon.

SunTrust Plaza Nashville
200 ft - 13 stories - office/mixed use
Topped Out, nearly complete

Terrazo
200+ ft - 14 floors
First floor complete

U.S. Court House - Downtown Nashville

200 +/- FT 7 floors
No news on this.

[B]MTA downtown transit center[/B
Under construction. No mixed use or apartments, however.

Rhythm Lofts (at the traffic circle on Music Row)

Tower Crane is up

West End Condos
- 11 stories -
Topped out, should be open

Woodmont & Kenner
Tower Crane is up.

Rolling Mill Hill - Phase I - 1000 condos/apartments

Construction has begun.

Other prospects include:
18 story condos at 17th and Broad
Hotels related to convention Center.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2007, 1:35 AM

These are personal pictures I've taken around the core of Nashville throughout the course of the past week. There's so much happening on every corner that it's been hard to keep track. So, this week, I found a little bit of time to make my rounds around the city to capture the progress. I'll try to make my way to other neighborhoods soon.

Downtown Nashville from the Shelby Street Pedestrian Bridge.

Freshly completed Suntrust Plaza adding some nice infill.

First Avenue, Riverfront Park and the Davidson County Courthouse buildings.

A look down First Avenue to the new Courthouse.

A look down Second Avenue to the old Courthouse.

LP Field, home of the Tennessee Titans, and Ghost Ballet, Nashville's newest public art addition.

Nashville's new skyline emerging: Encore condos towering over SoBro while construction of ICON and Terrazzo condo towers rise over the Gulch in the background.

More Encore.

The Pinnacle construction site. This one will really make an impact in the skyline and be absolutely striking from the Shelby Street Bridge.

Batman looms over Broadway with its' new AT&T signs almost complete.

Peekaboo: Schermerhorn Symphony Center and Encore Condos.

Nashville's Union Station which is now a hotel.

The Gulch skyline developing: ICON rising to the left and the Terrazzo crane to the right.

West End Summit site in Midtown. These towers will be gorgeous and usher in a new era for Nashville’s Midtown.

Adelicia condos in Midtown topped off and preparing for move-in.

Clubs and bars along Church Street, Nashville's budding gay and lesbian district in Midtown.

Downtown from Church Street in Midtown.

Hillboro Village: one of Nashville's trendiest and most eclectic neighborhoods in Midtown.

Tons of North Capitol District infill. I believe this is going to be one of inner-city Nashville’s premier neigborhoods very soon.

Who says so-called “New South” cities don’t have history? Here’s historic Germantown showing its' excellent balance of old and new. This is one of my favorite Nashville neighborhoods.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2007, 1:42 AM

there's plenty of action in nashville. right up there with charlotte.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2007, 2:00 AM
Burming Hammer

looks like tons of condos being built... is there that much demand in nashville, or just speculation? i wonder how the recent u.s. housing crunch will affect this.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2007, 2:20 AM

The single-family housing market seems to have slowed down in Nashville some but condos, townhomes, and lofts seem to still be somewhat hot. One must remember that for a while, Nashville's outer neighborhoods and suburbs have flourished while residents overlooked the core. Our urban resident population was minuscule not long ago. That's all rapidly changing now. What were seeing now is an influx of residents moving to the city's urban neighborhoods but the surrounding towns are still continuing to boom as well.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2007, 4:04 AM

Thanks so much for the photos above as I miss being in Nashville at times. I also just got very sentimental when I saw the pics of 5th avenune north (germantown) as I lived on the street for over a year. It is good to see so much going on in BNA.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2007, 3:58 PM

Nice to see another side of Nashville.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2007, 8:43 PM

Great pictures, thanks! Where are all of the people? The sidewalks are empty in almost every picture...

Old Posted Dec 12, 2007, 1:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosdev View Post
Great pictures, thanks! Where are all of the people? The sidewalks are empty in almost every picture...
^ Most of those were taken between 2-4 p.m. on a weekday so people were probably working. However, only certain pockets of urban Nashville see significant pedestrian activity. There were actually plenty of people walking around Hillsboro Village though (mostly Vandy & Belmont students) so I'm not sure how I managed to get shots without them.

Some construction updates:

ICON (to the left, 22 floors) and Terrazzo (right, 14 floors)

Rhythm at Music Row (14 floors)

Last edited by ariesjow; Dec 12, 2007 at 2:41 AM.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2007, 7:57 AM
Future God

Thanks for that update! I really like the way those three projects interact with the street. Now all we need to do is improve the street scape itself to make it a place where people actually want to walk. Nashville needs more planted medians in my opinion.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Dec 12, 2007, 2:05 PM

Great progress for Nashville, congrats. I didn't realize so many of these projects were underway. I hope development keeps on coming.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2007, 4:38 AM

As the year ends, there is progress to report. Icon is within 1 floor or so of topping out. Terrazzo is up to the 4th floor. Excavation is complete at
Summit waiting for the cranes at the first of the year. Rythem is has the walls and columns up to the second floor. Pinnacle excavation is complete
and columns, footings and below grade perimeter walls are approaching the
street level. Encore is getting its curtainwall installed at the parking levels.
Veleocity is excavating and installing foundations at a rapid clip. The old
1808 building looks like it about to begin its reconstruction as the construction
trailer was moved on site this week. Hopefully I will have some news of new
fair-sized projects in the Musica Roundabout vicinity that I can report. The
skinny I get from realtor friends, is that they expect next year to be the best sales year they have ever had in Nashville. Yes, there are foreclosures and
poor sales here; but not evenly down across all catagories. The growth in
Nashville seems to leave some room for optomism in the midscale to large homes and urban condos I am informed. This however is not necessarily true for the very overbuilt nearby counties like Rutherford and Williamson.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2007, 12:13 AM

Per several sources from other sites: Rumor is West End Summit will begin rising in January. A water rupture was apparently the hold up (which explains the closed side streets near the site). They have been pumping water on the site.

The office tower will be 415' and the hotel/condo tower will be 360'. The first quarter of next year will be extremely exciting with all the towers going up.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2007, 12:51 AM

New plans for the Melrose area in south Nashville. It is not public yet, but the people fronting the project are a customer of mine. Spazelle Entertainment. There is expected to be a Starbucks, new facade on the existing structure, a 6 story midrise office, and another 5 story midrise condo. Sorry for the crappy photo, it's all I could sneak in before leaving.

-Steve Wright

Old Posted Dec 22, 2007, 11:45 PM

>Who says so-called “New South” cities don’t have history?

Yankees like me who have been to every southern city and lived in Tennessee. Pittsburgh and Cincinnati each have over a thousand homes like the one you photographed still standing from the 1800's, and those two cities are never labeled by the pop media as "historic". Yes, over 1,000 middle-class homes like that, hundreds of mansions, and tens of thousands of blue collar row houses.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2007, 11:55 PM
Endless Moments...

Nice pics. Lots of kewl projects going on. Will add much to the skyline...

Old Posted Dec 23, 2007, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
>Who says so-called “New South” cities don’t have history?

Yankees like me who have been to every southern city and lived in Tennessee. Pittsburgh and Cincinnati each have over a thousand homes like the one you photographed still standing from the 1800's, and those two cities are never labeled by the pop media as "historic". Yes, over 1,000 middle-class homes like that, hundreds of mansions, and tens of thousands of blue collar row houses.
That's true but unfortunately you missed my point entirely. Nashville and most southeast metros, of course, have a fraction of historic building stock compared to rustbelt cities that were far larger more than fifty years ago and have been relatively large for well over a century. This should go without saying. However, this does not mean all other "younger" American cities are devoid of history as some fain to pretend. This is why I photographed Germantown to show that Nashville does indeed have a history to its' built environment just like every other American city. This includes Phoenix, Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, Charlotte and any other city that's consistently badgered for being "too new."

I must note that there's a certain arrogance that pervades some posters on boards such as these. We all appreciate cities and nice built environments but some act as if a city should be ignored if it cannot mimic a NYC, Chicago, or San Francisco when absolutely nothing in its' history suggests that it should mirror those. Ironically, these "newer" cities seem to be where most Americans are flocking en masse for various reasons.

What gives? Why can't one say that they prefer the older and denser cores of the Northeast or rustbelt instead of being disingenuous by claiming other cities lack history?

Last edited by ariesjow; Dec 23, 2007 at 5:04 PM.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2007, 7:24 PM
That Golfer Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesjow View Post
That's true but unfortunately you missed my point entirely. Nashville and most southeast metros, of course, have a fraction of historic building stock compared to rustbelt cities that were far larger more than fifty years ago and have been relatively large for well over a century. This should go without saying. However, this does not mean all other "younger" American cities are devoid of history as some fain to pretend. This is why I photographed Germantown to show that Nashville does indeed have a history to its' built environment just like every other American city. This includes Phoenix, Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, Charlotte and any other city that's consistently badgered for being "too new."

I must note that there's a certain arrogance that pervades some posters on boards such as these. We all appreciate cities and nice built environments but some act as if a city should be ignored if it cannot mimic a NYC, Chicago, or San Francisco when absolutely nothing in its' history suggests that it should mirror those. Ironically, these "newer" cities seem to be where most Americans are flocking en masse for various reasons.

What gives? Why can't one say that they prefer the older and denser cores of the Northeast or rustbelt instead of being disingenuous by claiming other cities lack history?
I think what people seem to forget is that a lot of the larger southern municipalities were ransacked and in some cases litterly destroyed during the Civil War. Some cities that suffered that fate are the larger so called "New South" cities like Nashville, Chattanooga, Atlanta, and Richmond come to mind. When the Union armies came through a lot of the infastructure of those cities suffered extensive damage, having to be rebuilt from the ground up. So yes compared to a New York, Boston or even Washington D.C. there's not as many historical structures standing.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations