HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Capital Pointe in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Regina Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Sep 30, 2015, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
All the deposits have always been in trust with a law firm. They are not in jeopardy.
Oh I didn't know this. That's good to hear.

I thought it was a non-refundable deposit that would have been spent long ago.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2015, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefourthtower View Post
Well its about time with any luck a great addition to downtown ,once construction starts sales will increase ,I don't buy all the doom and gloom it does NOBODY ANY GOOD
Has the scale of the project or the renderings changed at all, or is it still the same as originally proposed. If so, I think it will be a striking addition to Regina! Congrats

....now we in Saskatoon just need our similar RiverLanding Project to get going...but even it it does, we already have been informed it will be in stages....bleh....

Old Posted Oct 1, 2015, 2:26 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicity View Post
LOL. Oh, Penis. Are you upset because TrueVike doesn't respond to any of your sycophantic slurp jobs?

Oh Simps. This post just show what kind of pompous ass you truly are. A shining piece of throw-up in a turd; a real classic

Old Posted Oct 1, 2015, 2:06 PM
arf

The story I read yesterday said to expect seeing some stuff next week with some equipment arriving and then stuff to really start happening the week of Thanksgiving.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Oct 1, 2015, 3:05 PM

Source: Buildsask

Construction work is slated to begin on the Capital Pointe site in early October. Equipment (DoubleStar) is anticipated to be moved onto the site beginning the week of October 05, 2015, with construction anticipated after Thanksgiving. The 12-storey hotel and 26-storey condominium project is expected to take 32 months to complete and should be ready for June 2018.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2015, 3:37 PM

I'm going to echo those who have asked who the hotel tenant will be. Would they seriously proceed with this project without at least securing a tenant for the hotel portion? That seems like a very pie-in-the-sky approach to me. "Build it and they will come" doesn't always work. Announcing a secured tenant would lend some credibility to this project.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2015, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacko View Post
I'm going to echo those who have asked who the hotel tenant will be. Would they seriously proceed with this project without at least securing a tenant for the hotel portion? That seems like a very pie-in-the-sky approach to me. "Build it and they will come" doesn't always work. Announcing a secured tenant would lend some credibility to this project.
Hotels (like the rest of us) are probably cautious to invest in a project that has little to no credibility so far

Old Posted Oct 1, 2015, 4:12 PM
BANNED

ITC Construction Group is a pretty reputable company. The fact that their name is tied to this announcement brings me optimism. If this is just another false promise you'd think a company like ITC would steer clear.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2015, 5:24 PM

I am to believe it will be a Hilton Garden Inn from previously released projecet tender updates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmmace View Post
Capitol Pointe Condominiums & Hilton Garden Inn, Fortress Real Developments Inc.
-Structural Drawings are now complete: Tender Date of August 2014

-Waiting for Permit and Project Start Date of Sept 2014 for excavation start.

-Owner anticipates shovels will be in the ground by July 2014.
-Nick Circosta- Director of stakeholder management with the Ontario based Fortress Real Developments Inc. plans to meet with the City of Regina officials regarding the excavation permit for the project.
-Potential Start Date Sep 14

Source: BuildSask

Old Posted Oct 1, 2015, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmmace View Post
I am to believe it will be a Hilton Garden Inn from previously released projecet tender updates.
Hilton Garden Inn was, in fact, announced publicly. The reason people are speculating otherwise is:
- The length of time that has elapsed since then
- Hilton taking over the former Regina Inn
- The lack of a Hilton sign on the most recent Capital Pointe renders

But it is just speculation.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2015, 1:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brithgob View Post
Hilton Garden Inn was, in fact, announced publicly. The reason people are speculating otherwise is:
- The length of time that has elapsed since then
- Hilton taking over the former Regina Inn
- The lack of a Hilton sign on the most recent Capital Pointe renders

But it is just speculation.
The DoubleTree by Hilton is not owned by Hilton. It is in fact owned and operated by SilverBirch Hotels. It is managed by Hilton under the DoubleTree brand and utilizes the Hilton reservation system and branding. This is typical for most hotels.

An interesting example of this is the Waldorf Astoria Hotel in New York, one of Hilton's top luxury brands. For the first time since the 1930's an American president will not be staying in the Presidential Suite ($10,000/night) during the opening of the UN General Assembly because the hotel was recently purchased by a Chinese insurance company (fear of espionage).

As for the hotel at Capital Pointe, I am sure it will be owned by an investment group or a REIT, and then managed by a hotel chain such as Hilton for example, under one of their ten hotel brands.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2015, 6:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draftsman View Post
The DoubleTree by Hilton is not owned by Hilton. It is in fact owned and operated by SilverBirch Hotels. It is managed by Hilton under the DoubleTree brand and utilizes the Hilton reservation system and branding. This is typical for most hotels.

An interesting example of this is the Waldorf Astoria Hotel in New York, one of Hilton's top luxury brands. For the first time since the 1930's an American president will not be staying in the Presidential Suite ($10,000/night) during the opening of the UN General Assembly because the hotel was recently purchased by a Chinese insurance company (fear of espionage).

As for the hotel at Capital Pointe, I am sure it will be owned by an investment group or a REIT, and then managed by a hotel chain such as Hilton for example, under one of their ten hotel brands.
Actually it's usually more complicated than that in many cases the branding and managment are by completely independent companies. In the case of the DoubleTree, Hilton is just the brand and reservation system. They do not manage the hotel. In the case of the Hotel Sask, Marriott is now the brand and manager, but not the owner. Formerly it was owned by a REIT, managed by a management Co and branded by Radisson.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2015, 9:23 AM

I know all this. I was speaking colloquially

Old Posted Oct 4, 2015, 12:28 AM

http://www.vancouversun.com/life/REG...483/story.html

REGINA SK: SEPTEMBER 29, 2015 -- Project director Greg Black (C) with Fortress Real Developments says construction work is slated to begin on the Capital Pointe site in early October. Black announced that Fortress Real Developments, the company behind the project, has hired ITC Construction Group as the construction manager and Doublestar Drilling to conduct the shoring and excavation work. Black said equipment will be moved onto the site next week, with construction beginning “in earnest

in the Vancouver Sun,,
I believe the 27th floor could be two stories high

Old Posted Oct 4, 2015, 1:20 AM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefourthtower View Post
http://www.vancouversun.com/life/REG...483/story.html

REGINA SK: SEPTEMBER 29, 2015 -- Project director Greg Black (C) with Fortress Real Developments says construction work is slated to begin on the Capital Pointe site in early October. Black announced that Fortress Real Developments, the company behind the project, has hired ITC Construction Group as the construction manager and Doublestar Drilling to conduct the shoring and excavation work. Black said equipment will be moved onto the site next week, with construction beginning “in earnest

in the Vancouver Sun,,
I believe the 27th floor could be two stories high
You mean the 26th floor? There is no planned 27th floor.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2015, 2:18 AM

http://cjme.com/article/223989/const...r-thanksgiving
Construction on Regina's Capital Pointe set to begin after Thanksgiving

By Courtney Markewich // September 29, 2015 - 2:09pm

Greg Black, David Carlton, Kerry McCormick and Nick Circosta announce that construction on Capital Pointe will begin after Thanskgiving.

Courtney Markewich/CJME News
Greg Black, David Carlton, Kerry McCormick and Nick Circosta announce that construction on Capital Pointe will begin after Thanskgiving.

Construction may finally begin on the long-awaited Capital Pointe building in Regina.

The lot at the corner of Albert Street and Victoria Avenue has been empty since the Plains Hotel was demolished in December 2011, with the exception of several large signs that show off the promised hotel/condo building.

On Tuesday morning, a group of people stood in the lot to announce that construction is finally set to begin.

"Construction is going to start next week," Capital Pointe project director Greg Black announced. The construction will be managed by western-based ITC Construction Group with Doublestar Drilling doing the shoring and excavation work.

"In a project of this magnitude, there's a lot of details to be sorted out but our anticipation at this point in time is that our schedule will be about 32 months to full completion," Black explained.

ITC will bring equipment onto the site next week to prepare for Doublestar to begin its shoring work. Doublestar's equipment will be brought onto the site the following week - after Thanksgiving - and that's when, according to Black, construction will begin in earnest.

Due to years of delays in the project, Black acknowledged that some people may have doubts.

"I expect people are going to want to wait and see. I expect they'll be looking to see what happens next week and the week after but this is the commitment that we can make today. That we will start next week, and the week after there will be heavy-duty equipment rolling onto the site."

The first phase of work will see the five-storey deep underground parkade built - the deepest parkade in the city. Black explained that it will take about a year for the project to be brought back up to grade.

The project, as it stands now, will see a 12-storey hotel adjacent to a 26-storey condo building. Black indicated that a 27th storey might be in the plans as a mechanical room. About 150 people would work on the project.

 Email cmarkewich@cjme.com

 Twitter @cjmarkewich

Old Posted Oct 4, 2015, 2:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
You mean the 26th floor? There is no planned 27th floor.
That is very possible. The penthouse floor of Harvards I/II are each very close to being the height of two floors in of themselves. CP could have a similar setup.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2015, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkydivePilot View Post
That is very possible. The penthouse floor of Harvards I/II are each very close to being the height of two floors in of themselves. CP could have a similar setup.
So could this thing reach 100m?

Old Posted Oct 5, 2015, 3:23 PM
arf

Well, if they get to 32 floors, they are probably in the 100m range even without the antennae. Otherwise, I don't think it will hit 100m. Preliminary drawings seemed so show it being slightly shorter than The Delta (83.8m) with a cheater antennae getting up to about 90m. The original drawings seemed to show a top floor that was taller than previous floors so I'd say the original height estimates are probably what the final build would be.

It will already be close to Saskatchewan's tallest and will be if one includes the antennae.

100m would be super cool. Just getting this thing built at twenty stories would be pretty cool.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Oct 5, 2015, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migs View Post
ITC Construction Group is a pretty reputable company. The fact that their name is tied to this announcement brings me optimism. If this is just another false promise you'd think a company like ITC would steer clear.
From what I undeerstand, ITC signed a Construction Management contract. That means they're being paid a fee to manage the construction. It doesn't really mean the project will proceed as developer can likely walk-away at any time with little to no penalty.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan