HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Mar 27, 2010, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reidjr View Post
I doubt there going to lose there $10 million one of 2 things will happen.The city will buy it from them maybe a bit more for there troubles.Or the city and ashcfroft will work out a deal where the lands is turned into something to keep its hertiage more or less.
I am not sure the City could justify a $10M expenditure (and then the ongoing expenses) in the current environment, so if I had to guess, I would say your second scenario is the more likely.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2010, 3:07 PM

I've said it before, I'll say it again: National Portrait Gallery?

Old Posted Mar 27, 2010, 3:12 PM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajldub View Post
Not gonna lie, I think it should be a tad closer to downtown.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2010, 3:25 PM
Elle est déjà vide!

Quote:
No. I agree with Jamaican Phoenix, the National Portrait Gallery should be downtown. However, the Ottawa Art Gallery would be a much better fit. It would entrench the area as the city's own arts district. Downtown has the national institutions; the neighbourhoods serve the city.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2010, 4:12 PM

So we're all in agreement then, this is not the place for downtown-style developments?

Old Posted Mar 28, 2010, 8:19 PM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:
So we're all in agreement then, this is not the place for downtown-style developments?

No; we're in agreement that the Portrait Gallery of Canada should be closer to downtown. That's all.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2010, 1:04 AM

Still holding out for the 12 storey miracle, eh?

Old Posted Mar 29, 2010, 1:33 AM
Elle est déjà vide!

Quote:

12 storeys isn't downtown development, it's neighbourhood development. Downtown development is 20-30 storeys (in this city).

Old Posted Mar 29, 2010, 2:18 AM

Not gonna happen, guys.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2010, 2:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mille Sabords View Post
12 storeys isn't downtown development, it's neighbourhood development. Downtown development is 20-30 storeys (in this city).
Ever thought of running for City Council with that as your platform

Old Posted Mar 29, 2010, 5:17 AM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:
Still holding out for the 12 storey miracle, eh?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mille Sabords View Post
What he said.

P.S. No one's calling it a miracle. I will lament the loss of the garden, but along an approved corridor like Wellington/Richmond, this is perfectly acceptable. Also, I would trust Mille on this one since he knows what he's saying and doing with regards to the city.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2010, 2:40 PM

If it goes up 12 storeys on Richmond, it will be a miracle.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2010, 3:21 PM
National Capital Region

Let's just stir up a little trouble, shall we?

In this morning's Designing Ottawa blog, Maria Cook interviewed Liesbeth van der Pol, chief government architect of the Netherlands, and she had some interesting things to say about density and height:

"People are used to thinking that high density directly leads to high-rise which is not true."

"You can definitely make very-high density within low-rise."

"I think that urbanists should start to think in high-density but low-rise solutions because that is where families would like to live.

"It is a safe surrounding, a green surrounding. Not higher than four or five storeys. That we can cope with and that can be beautiful."

Old Posted Mar 29, 2010, 4:07 PM
Citizen-at-large

I don't have a problem with what she's saying, all of which I think is true (read the full article for more context). I'm just afraid of how this type of advice would be misapplied to Ottawa.

For example, she notes that high density at lower heights allows for narrower streets and smaller, more intimate public spaces. In Ottawa, the neighbourhood which will one day most closely conform with what she's proposing, Lebreton Flats, is surrounded by unneccessarily large park areas, and has streets of normal North-American width. In fact, less wide, more intimate streetscapes provide different challenges in a city with a winter climate such as ours.

Additionally, she is not saying that highrises have no place. She emphasized that different parts of the city should have different feels, and complained about how single family homes are falling like a 'mist' around the city. I think what needs to truly be internalized is that there are 'many solutions between highrise and single family home", and I feel that this comment was equally (or perhaps more) directed at the suburbs than at the core.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2010, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchissippi View Post
What part of such a simple nomenclature don't you get? "Wesboro Village" is the proper name for a specific part of Westboro, much like "Place d'Orleans" or "Kanata Centrum" is to Orleans and Kanata.

No, you got it wrong. I understand where you and Dado are coming from, but the reality is that the word 'village', when local residents in Westoboro use the term, is not just simple nomenclature. It is actually NIMBYism at its best! At this point, with condos poppin up left right and center, old style shops being replaced with new style shops, and more foot and car traffic in the oh so dear 'village', they are freakin out!!! If it was simple nomenclature then the word 'village' would be written with an upper case V. But as we can see in Ken Gray's recent article plus the letter to the editor which I quoted again below, village is written in lower case, implying that this NIMBY is bitter that he ain't livin in a village no more! BOOOO HOOOO maybe he should move out to Manotick or Smiths Falls :

Quote:
Letter to the editor:
Taking the village out of Westboro
THE OTTAWA CITIZENMARCH 20, 2010

Re: Losing the village in Westboro, March 17.

Columnist Ken Gray's hit the nail on the head. Yes, the revitalization of the main street fabric has been a tremendous boost to the retail fabric of Richmond Road and also Wellington West. However, at what cost?

The recent Ottawa Neighbourhood Study makes a point that this area has "little greenspace." So why aren't we preserving part of the convent's 5.2 acres for recreational space.

We learned during the Community Design Plan that the City of Ottawa said no when asked if there would be additional recreation space to accommodate this intensification the city wants.

Now we have 1,100 new residents plus a boutique hotel plus pubs, restaurants and other retail spots (in this one small area) and the staff required to operate them.

My wife and I were in the Glebe and Old Ottawa South the other day. The difference of seeing mostly two-storey buildings compared to what's happening in Westboro is noticeable and yet they retain that main street character while we are losing it. We keep hearing that traffic is not an issue and that intensification is good. Good intensification that enhances the community is what's good and we keep hoping something will be done to support the village before it's too late.

Gary Ludington,

Ottawa

© Copyright (c) The Ottawa Citizen

Old Posted Mar 29, 2010, 6:38 PM

The unfortunate thing for Ottawa is that fundamentally design decisions regarding the city are made by private developers. The proposal for this site is a perfect example of that. In the Netherlands they never would let a developer get away with snapping up a property of this nature and then make a proposal like the one they did. European cities, at least continental ones, understand the importance of a strong municipal government. We barely have our act together here.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2010, 7:38 PM
R2-D2's army of death

What the Dutch lady fails to mention is that nearly all of the main Dutch cities are low to mid-rise throughout the entire city limits.

I've seen people like Clive Doucet, Christine Leadman and Diane Holmes say they want Ottawa to be a dense, urban city but not too tall. We can't have that now, can we? They also constantly cite articles from urban planners in Paris, Copenhagen, Amsterdam, etc. showing how they have dense, lively and urban cities but there aren't skyscrapers everywhere. However, what they universally fail to mention are the following:

- Europeans have much milder winters than us, this past one excluded.
- It snows more here.
- European cities are much older than Canadian ones.
- The low to mid-rise density they talk about occupies much of the city. This means people in the Glebe, Westboro, Sandy Hill, and even the suburbs would have to do away with stand alone homes.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2010, 11:55 PM
National Capital Region

Well then why not get started in the suburbs where this would presumably be a lot easier to accomplish since there's no one living there yet to object? Let's start seeing the developers roll out master-designed high-quality dense communities to rival the existing ones in inner areas. But they don't.

You see the problem? In effect you're demanding that places like Westboro and the Glebe take on extra density so as to allow the suburbs to carry on more or less as is. If more density is good in the older areas, then it should be in the newer ones too, if not more so. And really, it's not as if today's Westboro is exactly lacking in density, either. Sure, it can have more, but it doesn't need to be in the form of 8, 10 and 12 storey buildings on Richmond Rd, either.

The developers' desire for more density in inner areas has nothing whatsoever to do with what's good for the city as a whole; it has only to do with profitability. For that they want very high density in inner areas and very low density in outer areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radster View Post
No, you got it wrong. I understand where you and Dado are coming from, but the reality is that the word 'village', when local residents in Westoboro use the term, is not just simple nomenclature. It is actually NIMBYism at its best!
Ya, that's got to be it. I've been using it most of my life but now you tell me that all this time it's essentially been some cunning preparation for a time in the then-distant future when we would have to call upon the forces of Westboroian NIMBYism as embodied by the term 'village'.

And what do you do about those who support the project, or support it generally, and still use the term 'village'?

Face it, it's not NIMBYism, it's just the way it's always been.

Quote:
At this point, with condos poppin up left right and center, old style shops being replaced with new style shops, and more foot and car traffic in the oh so dear 'village', they are freakin out!!!
You want to see freaking out? Go buy a few properties on a street in Nepean, say Meadowlands between Merivale and Woodroffe, and propose to put in a 12 storey building. Or just propose a 4-5 storey building. Either way I doubt you'd get only half of the audience that shows up at an open house on the project to cheer on a speaker who denounces the height, which is what happened in Westboro (fwiw, I *didn't* cheer).

It is rather amusing how the residents of Westboro take quite a bit of abuse on this forum for alleged NIMBYism when residents here have been far more accepting of infill than you would tend to find in most of the city. We've got social housing infill around the Churchill/Scott intersection built as mid-rise that went in with not a lot of fuss sometime in the late 80s or early 90s. Now try to pull that off most anywhere else. If anything, Westboro residents probably have grounds to complain that their relatively accepting attitude is being constantly taken advantage of by developers who fear even worse elsewhere.

Quote:
If it was simple nomenclature then the word 'village' would be written with an upper case V. But as we can see in Ken Gray's recent article plus the letter to the editor which I quoted again below, village is written in lower case, implying that this NIMBY is bitter that he ain't livin in a village no more! BOOOO HOOOO maybe he should move out to Manotick or Smiths Falls :
Umm, ok.

In English, words are generally only capitalized if they are proper nouns, so capitalization of 'village' is going to depend on the context. We have 'Westboro Village' but if when I say I'm going there I would write "I'm going to the village". I can't capitalize that because that would imply it's an incorporated body and I'm going to its HQ or something (compare city and City - the former refers to the urban area, the latter to the incorporated body that governs it). Another example: I can write "I'm went to Carlingwood Mall" or "I went to the mall" but not "I went to the Mall" (other than the ones in London or Washington, of course). Or another example in Westboro: "I'm going to Westboro Beach" or "I'm going to the beach" but never "I'm going to the Beach".

Besides being an exercise in futility to change an entire population's long-running naming practices, I'm actually trying to figure out what you would have us change to. I live in Westboro but how would I refer to the main street part of it if not by "the village"? "I'm going to downtown Westboro"? Well besides sounding daft, it doesn't allow for cutting out the "Westboro" part when talking with other residents since it's open to confusion with downtown Ottawa (btw, hasn't Ottawa grown up enough that we should be using "city centre"?). People east of Island Park can use "Wellington" or "Wellington Street" (or maybe "the street", but I don't live there so I don't know) but here in Westboro we can't do that with 'Richmond' because Richmond is a place in its own right. And no one who lives in Westboro is going to say that they are going to "Westboro Village" in common speech, because, well, we're already in Westboro. Maybe you want us to say "I'm going to the outdoor equipment shopping district."

Old Posted Mar 30, 2010, 1:12 AM
Citizen-at-large

You're completely missing the point. There is nothing wrong with calling that part of Westboro 'The Village' (or lower case, if you prefer). The issue is with using that name, which you admit is simply a name, to analogize the area with a true village, and use that analogy to oppose development (which, if not a tactic of all Westboro residents, is a tactic of some). Comparisons with other urban villages, a seperate and distinct concept from mere villages, are welcome in my books.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2010, 1:43 AM

Actually you're missing the point. The point is that a twelve storey building next to a street of two storey homes and a school, and encompassing a heritage building like a doughnut is nothing more than a developer gone wild and a city without the foresight to prevent the issue from happening in the first place.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa