HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 3:14 AM

Heavy hitter Brenda. I would agree with her on a number of those items. She'll have vehicles driving right beside her property. Her approach would also violate the 3m zone she mentioned haha

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 5:02 PM

Another item from that Riel meeting. Pointe Hebert neighbourhood asking for a per capita grant of $400 for a block party. Really? $400 when your houses are worth more than $500k? You couldn't scrounge up a few bucks from everybody?

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
This design rated M for meh.

Considering what an awesome location North St. B is (basically downtown without downtown hassles), I find the downright crappy design quality of just about everything built around there in the last 10 or 12 years to be astounding. The SFHs that went up at the northern tip are nice, but virtually everything else has been mediocre at best.
Which one of Ironclad's developments do you actually like? The Notre Dame one certainly doesn't look boring compared to the Archibald one.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Another item from that Riel meeting. Pointe Hebert neighbourhood asking for a per capita grant of $400 for a block party. Really? $400 when your houses are worth more than $500k? You couldn't scrounge up a few bucks from everybody?
If I'm not mistaken the way these type of block party grants work is that you apply for this grant which is the cost of the city coming to block off and close your street.

Essentially, you're not asking for money, just that the city won't charge you the cost of traffic services. Please correct me if I'm wrong but I'm fairly sure that's how it works, as if it was for private enterprise or profit, they would charge you the fees.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 6:22 PM

^ I'm not crazy about any of Ironclad's stuff. They basically build suburban housing that would be fine in St. Norbert but really doesn't look appropriate in any location within walking distance of downtown.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
If I'm not mistaken the way these type of block party grants work is that you apply for this grant which is the cost of the city coming to block off and close your street.

Essentially, you're not asking for money, just that the city won't charge you the cost of traffic services. Please correct me if I'm wrong but I'm fairly sure that's how it works, as if it was for private enterprise or profit, they would charge you the fees.
That was my read on it too. Not an unreasonable request IMO.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 6:38 PM

[QUOTE=bomberjet;8207180]Another item from that Riel meeting. Pointe Hebert neighbourhood asking for a per capita grant of $400 for a block party. Really? $400 when your houses are worth more than $500k? You couldn't scrounge up a few bucks from everybo
delete//

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
That was my read on it too. Not an unreasonable request IMO.
Yup – this is a great service for the city to offer. Especially as people become less and less connected with neighbours – I'm all for it.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 7:43 PM

they are driving the piles today for the riverfront belvedere in front of the st.b. museum.
oh my ears....
can't wait to see it though!

on second thought..it might be a retaining wall. what do i know, i was a desk jockey lol

Last edited by Tacheguy; Jun 1, 2018 at 8:06 PM.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 8:43 PM

If that's what is being asked, that's fine. $400 is the cost of people coming to put up barricades, makes sense. If they want $400 cash to go buy food, pound sand.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 9:09 PM

This is the 2017 cost off the city website if you want to have a block party:

Permit Fee: 53.00
Administration Fee: 33.00
GST: 4.30
Insurance: $137.00 (Unless provided by applicant)
TOTAL: $227.30

There is also a cost around $55 which is refundable for all the barricades and signs to block off the street. You have to pick up and deliver them to the stores dept on Pacific St.

http://www.winnipeg.ca/publicworks/p...ackage2017.pdf

Last edited by cllew; Jun 1, 2018 at 9:10 PM. Reason: add link to package

Old Posted Jun 2, 2018, 5:40 PM

Does anyone know what the building going up right here on St. Anne's is?

Old Posted Jun 2, 2018, 6:10 PM

It's apartment/condos

Last edited by Wpg_Guy; Jun 2, 2018 at 7:11 PM.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2018, 6:18 PM

Awesome!

Old Posted Jun 2, 2018, 6:47 PM

Quote:
Does anyone know what the building going up right here on St. Anne's is?
Quote:
My boys got er' done. 11:00 pm, but all 37 piles in place as scheduled. Next is grade beam and slab. Foundation work for 8 apartment units with two store fronts and indoor parking. Winnipeg Project

Ronald Curtis Contracting
https://www.facebook.com/pg/ronaldcu...=page_internal

Development land 6050 SF approved for 8 residential unites (2 bedrooms + office + two balconies) and 2 retails 2000+ SF on the main floor + 10 parking (8 covered).
http://clkapps.winnipeg.ca/dmis/View...onId=&InitUrl=

Last edited by Wpg_Guy; Jun 2, 2018 at 7:03 PM.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2018, 9:55 PM

^ It's nice to see continued development of mixed-use projects along the St. Mary's/St. Anne's corridors.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2018, 11:12 PM

Wow that is SO perfect for that area, and agreed esquire. It's pretty amazing to see what's been going up on St. Mary's, and it's all happening organically. Some great projects with nice designs – I love this one.

As someone who lives in Norwood just off St. Mary's, it's growing apparent that St. Mary's north of St Anne's is brutal for non-vehicles. Not only is it super narrow and dangerous for cyclists (no lanes, should be max 50 km/h), but there's no boulevard, so it's horrible for pedestrians as well. Like walking along a highway sometimes, especially brutal when it's wet as the drainage is awful.

I know this would never happen as we live in a city that is afraid of trying new things and being progressive but... It'd be awesome if St. Mary's was made 3 lanes: 1 lane is a 2-way cycle track, the other 3 for vehicles. You put signals above the road indicating which way traffic goes – 2 lanes one direction, one the other (based on time of day for rush hours).

Old Posted Jun 3, 2018, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Wow that is SO perfect for that area, and agreed esquire. It's pretty amazing to see what's been going up on St. Mary's, and it's all happening organically. Some great projects with nice designs – I love this one.
917 St. Mary/7 Havelock is the perfect inill, it has a modern design, covered parking at the rear with two retail store fronts, a Pilates studio and a chiropractor/massage clinic. Store fronts should be more widely mandated for infill, nevermind that crap going up in St. B and proposed for the exchange.

Quote:
ThePlains is a mixed-use building located on a strong thoroughfare directly linked to the city centre. With the ground level at street holding retail/office space and the rear covered parking along the existing laneway. One-storey above grade a new ground plane is introduced providing cover for the parking and commercial space, and a fresh sheet for the residential space. In separating the residential units into two clusters, a social pedestrian street is created, which sheltered from the noise of St. Mary’s, provides a comfortable outdoor space to inhabit. The pedestrian street also acting as a solar window, drawing sunlight into the space and into the units providing natural daylighting and ventilation. The new ground plane constructs a new social space for the residents to occupy and interact along their paths of travel or rest. Along with the ground plane a rooftop acts as an outdoor green space for the residents, providing vistas into the surrounding area. By folding semi-private space through the building yet maintaining strong visual public connection to the neighbourhood thePlains engages social space as an extension of the neighbourhood fabric on a micro scale.
https://archinect.com/firms/project/...lains/30349061

http://cdn.wall2wallmedia.com/backen...1400217214.jpg

http://ashmanagementgroup.com/assets...roperty_75.jpg

http://ashmanagementgroup.com/assets...rty_75_235.jpg

http://ashmanagementgroup.com/assets...rty_75_242.jpg

http://ashmanagementgroup.com/assets...rty_75_243.jpg

http://ashmanagementgroup.com/assets...rty_75_245.jpg

Old Posted Jun 3, 2018, 12:46 PM

thats's a unique place, I agree. it took well over a year (maybe 2) to fill that ground floor unit.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2018, 4:42 AM
surely you agree with me

Nice little infill going up on st Anne’s. Looks great. 50 more please. On academy. Sherbrook. Corydon. Osborne. Provencher. Etc. Etc.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan