HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Jul 30, 2006, 4:23 AM
Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Chicago
If anyone knows of any other skyscrapers which were expanded vertically WHILE OCCUPIED, let us know. The only other example the folks at Blue Cross are aware of is the Tulsa office of Blue Cross Blue Shield, which grew from 3 stories to 6 stories while occupied... so they are no longer claiming uniqueness for their building, just for their company's buildings in general!
The Peninsula Hotel in Chicago was built over an existing retail complex. I'm not sure if that portion was occupied at the time and at only 4-stories it wouldn't really qualify as an existing skyscraper. Although the completed expanded floor count is now 17.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2006, 4:03 AM

A potential site for this kind of expansion could be the russet steel garage just north of the IBM building between State and Wabash. When construction was announced in the newspaper sometime in the mid-70's, it was stated that the caissons were strong enough to uphold a 35-story office building addition. Don't know who owns this structure now or if they have any plans in the future. But with Trump Tower rising now across the street from it, the potential for future growth still has to be considered.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2006, 4:11 AM
devout Pizzatarian

^ interesting. i did not know that.

and that's a damn fine looking parking garage to boot. it compliments IBM very well.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2006, 4:20 AM

ChitownJay, did you have that nugget of trivia lodged in your head for 30 years, and just pulled it out now?? Or did you come across it searching newspaper archives? Either way, unbelievable...

Old Posted Sep 9, 2006, 4:22 AM

< Is that rendering on page one official? Because about four years ago, or even earlier, I saw a render that did have a slimmer phase two, this was on some semi-official future-architecture website, no memory of the name now. But the image of the more slender part II was always in my mind...

Old Posted Sep 9, 2006, 4:35 AM

I was just another Chitown high school/college kid who followed the building boom of the 60's and 70's with pretty much the same verve and enthusiasm most of you (and I) are experiencing with today's unbelievable boom. I remember a lot of the details connected with many of the buildings going up back then because it was all so new to us; like slurry walls surrounding the then Standard Oil Building and CNA Tower. Or the four-each construction booms they used for lifting beams up to the ever-rising Sears and Standard towers which, up until that time, were supposedly used only for bridge building. If anything else comes up in any of the other threads like this, I'll be more than happy to share any information I can. I've been following your site here for more than a year, but only recently registered. It makes for a fascinating hobby.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2006, 4:44 AM
Chicago

Welcome ChitownJay! Thanks for posting.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2006, 5:14 AM
Landmark Restored

I have a book Skyscrapers The New Millennium that writes the following about 300 E. Randolph:

Vertical expansion is possible because the roof is removable, allowing new steel columns to be connected to those directly below, continuing the building's structural design. The increased need for vertical circulation will be served by two more passenger elevator banks, now reserved on the building's north side as a dramatic, vertiginous atrium space adjacent to the two passenger elevator banks now in service.

So it looks like the atrium will go.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2006, 5:44 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan
^ interesting. i did not know that.

and that's a damn fine looking parking garage to boot. it compliments IBM very well.
... designed by one of Chicago's finest, if most overlooked firms.

Also, while we're on this semi-relevant topic, I'll chime in that Jones High School on State was designed to become a small high-rise if future expansion is required.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2006, 5:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarWind
The Peninsula Hotel in Chicago was built over an existing retail complex. I'm not sure if that portion was occupied at the time and at only 4-stories it wouldn't really qualify as an existing skyscraper. Although the completed expanded floor count is now 17.
Yes the stores existed for a few years before the Pennisula was added.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2006, 5:54 AM

Quote:
A potential site for this kind of expansion could be the russet steel garage just north of the IBM building between State and Wabash. When construction was announced in the newspaper sometime in the mid-70's, it was stated that the caissons were strong enough to uphold a 35-story office building addition. Don't know who owns this structure now or if they have any plans in the future. But with Trump Tower rising now across the street from it, the potential for future growth still has to be considered.
Isn't this the garage where the air-rights were auctioned ~5 years ago for this exact purpose? Somebody's got a hold on the development future for this site...

Old Posted Sep 9, 2006, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabb
Why didn't the architects update the style of the addition ?
They're being timid.
They shouldn't ignore ten years of evolution in the field of design and architecture.
If you look carefully, you'll notice that the building team is calling this a "vertical completion" not an expansion. A subtle, but telling difference. This also suggests that there aren't any expansions planned for anytime after this one is complete.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2006, 8:09 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ yes. thank you for pointing out that distinction. this building was designed to be roughly 750' tall from the outset, it's just that only the first phase was built at the time back on the mid-90s. this new vertical expansion of the building is a completion of the design, not an addition to it.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2006, 7:12 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin00
What a surprise that they are actually going to go through with this. I had always heard about plans for it but never imagined it happening at least for a few more years.

Does anyone know if this type of thing has ever been done before on this scale?
There is a building in Vancouver - I believe it is called "Bentall 5" that was a 25ish story building and they are currently adding something like 10-15 story's to it. It is currently under construction. Sorry i don't have any pics. check with some of the Vancouver forumers.

Cool project none the less.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2006, 7:26 PM

I saw they are giving this one a 2010 completion date. But, when will construction begin again?

Old Posted Sep 11, 2006, 10:09 PM

Soon, very soon. The project team is currently being assembled. I haven't heard an exact date, however, if I had to guess I'd say December / January for mobiliztion to begin.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2006, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayosthery

Soon, very soon. The project team is currently being assembled. I haven't heard an exact date, however, if I had to guess I'd say December / January for mobiliztion to begin.
That's certainly gog news to hear. I hadn't realized before that walsh had built BCBS until it was mentioned several month ago. They did a good job on this one, and I certainly hope that quality is continued through the next phase.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2006, 11:43 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayosthery
for real? damn! the next several months could be very intersting for skyscraper construction starts (legacy, aqua, mandarin???, BCBS).

Old Posted Sep 12, 2006, 1:40 AM

Like I said in #66 of this thread, an unbelievable boom and a fascinating hobby.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2006, 4:21 AM
Content provider

I'm not liking it from that rendering.
it looks too bulky and all up in 340 OTP's new slender face, kind of crowding it out.
340 way better

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive