HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

The Independent at Main in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Vancouver Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Mar 29, 2014, 4:24 PM
blog this

Builder moves ahead with contentious Mount Pleasant high-rise

KERRY GOLD
Special to The Globe and Mail
Published Friday, Mar. 28 2014, 2:01 PM EDT

The demolition of an old storefront on East Broadway last week raised a few eyebrows in the Mount Pleasant community – the first sign that developer Rize Alliance was about to take another kick at the can with a redesign of its hugely controversial high-rise tower.

No sooner had onlookers started tweeting about the demolition of the unoccupied retail building than Rize swiftly posted an explanation on its blog. In an effort at transparency, the developer explained the demolition was to make way for a presentation centre that is already being built on an adjacent parking lot. It will showcase the large residential and retail complex consisting of a 21-storey residential tower and low-rise blocks, stretching from East Broadway to Kingsway to East 10th Avenue to Watson, which is currently more of a laneway than a street.

“The City has yet to approve the development permit,” says the blog post. “We are optimistic that our development permit will be approved, and that home sales will commence late this fall or early next year.”

The revised submission shows the height of the building, which had been a hotly contested issue for some residents, remains at 65.3 metres, not including the trees that will be planted on the rooftop. The heights of the surrounding four lower blocks, which are designed to look like separate buildings, have been reduced. The building along Broadway was lowered by nine metres so as not to cast a big shadow over the street.

In other words, the architects have gone to some lengths to make the building as unobtrusive as possible, even if it does include a 21-storey tower. The height issue, says VP of development Chris Vollan, is no longer an issue since the city has already approved it in principle.

“The reality is that height, use and density are fixed – that discussion is done,” said Mr. Vollan. “Now we need constructive input on whether we met the eight conditions from council, most of which were defining character, defining street level, getting rid of the big band at the commercial level and improving the shadow performance. We need to know, did we do what council wanted us to. Height is off the table.”

Another major issue with the design had been the addition of about 60 units of residential to the rezoning plan of 2012. Some had criticized the developer for adding the units, perceived by some as a sneaky cash grab for more revenue.

“They have said that, but we were a completely open book – we gave them all our numbers and costs,” says Mr. Vollan, who estimates that the delay in terms of land costs and other expenses has cost the company around $2- to $5-million.

Those controversial residential units have been converted back to commercial space, with no change to the floor space ratio. Now the building has two full floors of commercial space, and 258 residential units. The design previously included 338 units of residential when it was rejected. The developer is searching for an anchor tenant for its large second-floor space.

The retail building was no longer occupied due to damage from a fire, so it needed to be demolished anyway, says Mr. Vollan. Subject to approval, the former Cantu building at Kingsway and 10th Avenue will be demolished in late winter or early spring next year.

The large site is one of three approved for potential high-rise development, according to a community plan in which Rize Alliance had participated.

Changes have also been made to the character of the building, which was another issue. Architect firm Acton Ostry has added wood-like panelling called Trespa to the exterior design of the buildings, along with red brick, a pedestrian street along Watson, space for public art, 3,500 square feet of amenities and an area for “urban agriculture.” The complex includes 430-square-foot one-bedroom units, 1,200-square-foot three-bedroom units and six two-level, three-bedroom townhouses. Pricing hasn’t yet been determined.

The designers are hoping the combination of natural-looking wood, garden and art will appeal to the neighbourhood’s artist demographic, which is growing along nearby Great Northern Way.

“It was the first taller building proposed outside of the downtown core that wasn’t ringing False Creek, so it did draw a certain amount of attention,” Russell Acton says of the seven bumpy years that he’s been working on the proposal. “We had originally come up with a colourful expression and people said it was too colourful. So we came up with a wood expression.”

Mr. Acton, who also designed the nearby 13-storey Stella condo project, calls the height issue “an emotional lightning rod.”

“People don’t like high development. We do these public open houses, and people say, ‘I don’t like tall buildings – they’re not friendly.’ But a single-family dwelling can be just as alienating.”

Professor Patrick Condon, chair of UBC’s Urban Design Program, is well known for arguing against bulky tower development as the means to densification. He is not anti-tower, he says, but he believes the city can obtain just as much density that is low-rise, built up along arterial roads.

He says the high-density Rize building helps justify the city’s rapid-transit proposal along Broadway.

“The conversation about high rises, I think, is obscured by height alone,” says Mr. Condon. “In my view, it’s problematic to depend so much on such a large project in the context of a city, which is comprised of buildings and parcel sizes that are literally hundreds of times smaller than the projects that are proposed. In the case of the Rize project, it looks to be more than one-million square feet next to buildings that look to be 10,000 square feet. So it’s a huge jump in scale.

“I think the West End is universally revered as a great place to live and it’s dominated by buildings greater than 12 stories in most cases. But they sit on small parcels, and are relatively modest in scale. None are close to one-million square feet – they’re more like 50,000 square feet

“So the issue of scale there is, I think, one of the things that frightens neighbourhoods. It makes them instinctively recoil when they see proposals like the Rize. I think it’s unfortunate that we don’t see small but equally dense projects.”

There will be a community open house in mid-April to get feedback on the changes to revised application. The submission then goes to the urban design panel at the end of April, and to the development permit board at the end of June. The presentation centre will open in about six months, according to Rize.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/...ticle17720152/

Old Posted Mar 30, 2014, 4:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subdude View Post
"The City has yet to approve the development permit,” says the blog post. “We are optimistic that our development permit will be approved, and that home sales will commence late this fall or early next year.”
The former Cantu building at Kingsway and 10th Avenue will be demolished in late winter or early spring next year.
says Mr. Vollan, who estimates that the delay in terms of land costs and other expenses has cost the company around $2- to $5-million."
So there you have it, demo and sales this fall or early next year. And the delay has cost a chunk of change.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2014, 4:38 AM

Well which is it? 2 million or 5 million? The guy (Vollan) can't give an accurate figure, so it sounds like bs. They've changed from metal panels to faux wood panels and brick, which i suppose is an improvement. The OCP says this tower should be iconic, so faux wood panels have to go. I hope they're sent back to the drawing board. If this project never happens, I'll be fine with that.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2014, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
The OCP says this tower should be iconic
Meh - does it really matter what the OCP says? The West End is filled with highrises that are miles worse than every iteration of the Rize project. I think the project looks OK, but even if it didn't it wouldn't be the end of the world.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2014, 4:53 PM

they are still whining about it and holding it up? oi vei

Old Posted Mar 30, 2014, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
they are still whining about it and holding it up? oi vei
Yes, they're still going on about it, even though the main issues are apparently now set according to the article, "The reality is that height, use and density are fixed – that discussion is done,” said Mr. Vollan [Rize VP]

Source: RAMP Website

The Mount Pleasant Residents Association is upset the building was demolished. They seem to be under the impression that a commercial building needs a development permit before an existing structure can be demolished.

My understanding is that was only for residential development...anyone?

A quote from their blog post on the subject: "There is in almost every city on earth a rule that demolition of any building–except a hazardous structure–can only occur once a building permit has been issued for the building that will replace it."
Source: RAMP Website article "Rize site demolition imminent. Heavy machinery on property. Were rules followed?"

_

Old Posted Mar 30, 2014, 7:58 PM

I would expect that they received a demolition permit from the City. You are allowed to demolish a building on a property you own without having a development permit for the building that will replace it, provided of course that you get the demolition permit. RAMP's grasping at straws at this point.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 4:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFUVancouver View Post
I would expect that they received a demolition permit from the City. You are allowed to demolish a building on a property you own without having a development permit for the building that will replace it, provided of course that you get the demolition permit. RAMP's grasping at straws at this point.
Indeed. This building was already damaged by a previous fire and hadn't been occupied since then - going on years now. Better an empty lot than an eyesore I say.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2014, 7:49 PM

This is scheduled for Dev Permit Board mtg on June 30, 2014

Source: COV Dev Permit Board Agenda

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 6:41 AM

Rize unveiled the new look for their Mount Pleasant project tonight at a public open house event held at St. Patrick's church.

Lots of crazies at the event… and this project must be driving the protestors crazier — cause it's just getting better and better looking imo.

Pic and story by Courier.

Developing Story: Details of Rize Development Revealed at Open House

Naoibh O'Connor / Vnacouver Courier / April 14, 2014

More details about the mixed-use Rize complex planned for Kingsway and Broadway will be revealed at an open house Monday evening (April 14).

City council approved the rezoning application for the project in April 2012. Residents are now being asked their thoughts on the revised development application for the site, which features a 21-storey tower, 258 residential units, 7,295 square feet of commercial space, 399 parking stalls and 350 bicycle stalls.

The project goes before the Urban Design Panel April 23 and before the Development Permit Board June 30.

Chris Vollan, Rize’s vice-president of development, told the Courier Monday before the open house that the design conforms to council’s directions at the rezoning and also responds to some feedback garnered at a previous open house last July.

“The main thing, in responding to council directions, is the character development of the building. Height, use and density are fixed as they were approved two years ago, so we’re largely talking about those other things.”

Vollan said council asked that “shadow performance” be improved on Broadway, so that building block was lowered by 30 feet. The Kingsway and Watson blocks we’re also lowered, as was the 10th avenue block.

“On top of that, the big move is separating each into a different character based on the character and the feel of the street that it’s on and separating them such that it lightens the massing and it makes it feel more like a grouping of unique buildings,” he said.

noconnor@vancourier.com

twitter.com/naoibh

© Vancouver Courier

- See more at: http://www.vancourier.com/news/devel....wHueGWwI.dpuf

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 7:14 AM

Quote:
“We took a number of two-bedrooms and split them into one-bedroom suites. That was based on both how they fit in the building and the market demand we were hearing. So we haven’t increased our area at all,” Vollan said. “But we’ve introduced a few smaller homes.”
Since when is there more of a market demand for even smaller 1 bedroom units?

Quote:
“RAMP is sounding like the Tea Party of Mount Pleasant,” he said.
I'm not a fan of RAMP, but as a developer he should show a little more respect to the neighbourhood. Chris Vollan sounds like such an arrogant jerk.

Cladding this building with faux wood panels will not give this building iconic status, which is the stipulation for allowing a greater height. If it's going to overwhelm the Lee Building, at least use the same quality materials, that being brick and terracotta. I hope the UDP does the right thing and reject this latest design.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 7:45 AM

Quote:
If it's going to overwhelm the Lee Building, at least use the same quality materials, that being brick and terracotta. I hope the UDP does the right thing and reject this latest design.
LOL! Oh noes… the all-mighty LEE BUILDING!1!1!!1!!

I've never understood all the love for that cheap-ass Lee Building.

It was built for as little money as possible 100 years ago by the developer of the day as a speculative project – it's got more red stucco on it than it does brick and terra cotta.

I guess the only logical thing is for Rize to clad half their project in cheap red stucco so it "respects" the "integrity" of the Lee Building!

Are you sure you're not a fan of RAMP? Cause you sure sound like one.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 2:28 PM

Quote:
I'm not a fan of RAMP, but as a developer he should show a little more respect to the neighbourhood.
RAMP isn't the entire neighbourhood.Have you ever interacted with some of their core members? I have on multiple occasions, and the comparison seems apt to me. Some actual things they have told me:
  • Manhattan would be more dense if the skyscrapers were turned into 6-story midrises
  • The ~12-story Stella building in which one of them lives is OK for Mount Pleasant, but somehow the cluster of ~10-story buildings at 7th and Main is not
Quote:
Cladding this building with faux wood panels will not give this building iconic status, which is the stipulation for allowing a greater height.
Just because something is in an official plan doesn't mean it's a good idea...

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 3:32 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

I don't overly like the proposal either, personally I feel the height is a touch too much. Thought ~16flrs should be the cap at no more then 50m. Also feel if this is going to be the landmark building for the area it' needs to be better then this. Mt. Pleasant is a pretty special area and it's heritage should be built on. Feel Vancouver should do more to protect it's neighbourhoods outside downtown, densify while respecting the character of the area. Feel the current proposal is fixable but doesn't seem like the developer intends on veering from their proposal.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quobobo View Post
RAMP isn't the entire neighbourhood.Have you ever interacted with some of their core members? I have on multiple occasions, and the comparison seems apt to me. Some actual things they have told me:
  • Manhattan would be more dense if the skyscrapers were turned into 6-story midrises
  • The ~12-story Stella building in which one of them lives is OK for Mount Pleasant, but somehow the cluster of ~10-story buildings at 7th and Main is not

Just because something is in an official plan doesn't mean it's a good idea...
I've interacted plenty with RAMP and I've expressed on numerous occasions how I feel that RAMP doesn't even come close to representing the neighbourhood (via BulaBlog), but Mr. Vollan's attitude is that he's in charge here in Mt. Pleasant and this is how it's gonna happen. That's how he comes across anyways. That to me is disrespectful to the neighbourhood.

My main concern isn't so much the height, but the architecture, especially the podium which is huge on this building. At least bring some higher grade materials to street level instead of a monotony of giant sheets of glass. The generic retail units will create a dead zone around this building.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 6:12 PM

I think it looks great. Wish I were in a position to buy, but I'm still a few years away.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 7:01 PM

I also like the renders I have so far seen. I hope the building will be brown/reddish, as we need some color. The height seems fine to me, as it's not a pointy tower.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 7:36 PM

I think it'll be an interesting tower.

The clean modern look would never fly in this neighbourhood - so what else can you do but reference wood and brick.
However, brick can be heavy and clunky - especially when people are fixated on red brick. Just look at 1 Kingsway (recall that it was revised from yellow brick to red brick).

The faux wood may add durability (real wood would require re-staining to keep a good appearance) and colour without the heavy oppressive bulk of red brick.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Since when is there more of a market demand for even smaller 1 bedroom units?

I'm not a fan of RAMP, but as a developer he should show a little more respect to the neighbourhood. Chris Vollan sounds like such an arrogant jerk.

Cladding this building with faux wood panels will not give this building iconic status, which is the stipulation for allowing a greater height. If it's going to overwhelm the Lee Building, at least use the same quality materials, that being brick and terracotta. I hope the UDP does the right thing and reject this latest design.
Why does an old mediocre structure have to be bigger and more significant than a new structure for today's needs? Overwhelm it I say! It's been alone for far too long I think it needs a nicer companion.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 8:51 PM

Yup - that's why when the Lee Building was built, it included light wells
- because it contemplated an abutting building to the north, not standing alone.

http://www.bccondos.net

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver