HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Oct 12, 2009, 3:19 AM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

Historic Boise: Warm Springs Historic District and the East End

Intro:

Here are a few photos I took today from a nice relaxing bike ride along Warm Springs Avenue, the East End and I also have included a few blocks of East downtown. I missed the Preservation Idaho tour yesterday of Warm Springs because I was at Pine Flats hot springs, so this morning I made up for it on my own, just me and my camera and my mountain bike.
In some of the photos it was a bit difficult to get a perfect photo of the house because of the jungle of foilage and trees.

Here is a little history about the historic district I found at the Preservation Idaho website:
http://www.preservationidaho.org/pro...ehomes05.shtml
Warm Springs Avenue began as a dirt wagon track to Kelly’s Hot Springs East of Boise. In 1890, the first hot water well was drilled just west of the Idaho State Penitentiary. The geothermal well was the beginning of Warm Springs Avenue and part of the pioneer exploration into geothermal water resources. A full-scale development using the hot water springs opened for business in 1892 – the Natatorium. Options for travelers included a streetcar line that tied Warm Springs Avenue with the growing City of Boise. The upscale fashion of residences on Warm Springs came into full swing by 1891, taking the spotlight from the popular Grove Street neighborhood. With the development of the geothermal water resources, many of the homes were originally heated by the well and pipe system put into place. This system is still operating today both along Warm Springs Avenue and in downtown Boise. The development of the natural geothermal system was the first of its kind, and was used during the industrial revolution in the United States as a new commodity.

And more interesting info:
http://www.energy.idaho.gov/renewabl..._heating.shtml

Boise Warm Springs Water District
The Boise area is unique with respect to geothermal district heating. The Boise Warm Springs Water District was the first district heating system in the United States. It has been in operation since 1892. Currently, the system is used to heat over 200 homes along Warm Springs Avenue. The average annual production between 1997 and 2000 was 209 million gallons. The supply temperature of the water is about 175 degrees Fahrenheit. The spent water either goes to the Boise River, or infiltrates into the ground through leaking ditches.

A little bit of the East End

East Downtown area

The Alexander Mansion. Moses Alexander served two terms as Boise mayor, elected in 1897 and was the nations first elected Jewish state governor and served two terms as governor of Idaho elected in 1914.

Fall usually takes her sweet time to put on the show of colors in the Boise Valley so watch out for a city photo thread towards the end of October.
Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

Last edited by Sawtooth; Oct 13, 2009 at 2:47 AM.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2009, 12:01 PM

I'm often impressed by the Boise threads on here. It looks like a very pleasant and attractive place. Are there grittier neighborhoods there? I never see them.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2009, 3:09 PM

There are grittier neighborhoods in Boise (of course this is the Northwest--the gritty neighborhoods are nothing compared to other parts of the country). Boise is just a very pleasant city.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2009, 3:15 PM

Nice-looking houses!

Old Posted Oct 12, 2009, 8:30 PM
Never Dell

Boise has an outstanding quality and volume of walkable, bikeable neighborhoods full of tree-lined streets and old houses, mostly to the north and east of Downtown. Most aren't as grand as Warm Springs, but most are very livable, or even idyllic. The trees make the summers bearable as well.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2009, 1:44 AM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinChelseaNYC View Post
I'm often impressed by the Boise threads on here. It looks like a very pleasant and attractive place. Are there grittier neighborhoods there? I never see them.

There are a few somewhat gritty neighborhoods in Boise but as Groninger stated they are nothing like other cities. Grit in Boise is more like someone not taking care of their yard or (forgive me if I offend anyone) some run down trailer parks. The city as a whole is pretty tidy and well manicured with little pockets here and there of grit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
Boise has an outstanding quality and volume of walkable, bikeable neighborhoods full of tree-lined streets and old houses, mostly to the north and east of Downtown. Most aren't as grand as Warm Springs, but most are very livable, or even idyllic. The trees make the summers bearable as well.
I live in the Northend and enjoy the easy access to downtown, the foothills, and the greenbelt. There are some nice historic neighborhoods South of Boise Avenue and up on the Bench behind the train depot towards Kootenai Street but they are a little further from downtown.
Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

Old Posted Oct 13, 2009, 2:40 PM

I am continually impressed with Boise because of the picture threads from you and others in the Boise area. Even though I have spent very little time there, I feel like I know the place. Great work.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2009, 2:35 PM

Very nice!

Old Posted Oct 15, 2009, 2:56 PM

Beautiful! Thanks for the thread.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2009, 2:35 AM

Really nice neighborhoods on display there.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2009, 9:11 PM

Great thread! Keep up the excellent work!

Old Posted Jul 26, 2010, 12:28 PM
Honored Member

Beautiful photo set. I like that you annotate your photo threads with some background information; the photos by themselves are quality work, and I like to learn a little bit about the things I'm seeing. I didn't know about the geothermal district heating; neat stuff!

Better than ever and always growing: [url=http://www.robertpence.com][b]My Photography Web Site[/b][/url]

Old Posted Aug 7, 2010, 3:25 PM
Red October standing by

awesome tour, thanks. i had no idea, but then again that's why i'm at this forum.

-

-fflint

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos