Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Dec 12, 2015, 2:29 AM
All-American City Boy

This concept building for Manhattan... Eagle Tower

Originally posted by erbse on skyscrapercity, what are your thoughts?:
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...71&postcount=1

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse
This visionary design just broke my heart.
I can't believe an architect finally comes up with the missing link between Beaux Arts, Art Deco, Expressionism, Gaudí-Modernisme and Contemporary architecture, that I've been longing for since ever (you know my posts across the board).

An actual vision for future architecture, grounded both in classical & natural beauty and bold visions for mankind,
technological progress, unique shapes and creative expression. An archetype of endless possibilities.

I'm amazed this was drawn. Whether it's built or not doesn't even matter all that much.
The sole existance of this design is set to be revolutionary in many ways!

Open your eyes for the show:

https://vimeo.com/145157591

Design by (and source): Mark Foster Gage Architects

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse
It's super-eclectic of course, but somehow it succeeds imho.
It's amazing really. I've shed tears. Wow. rool:
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted Dec 12, 2015, 3:59 AM

Worst thing since cancer. A jumbled, ugly mess.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2015, 6:46 AM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
Ludicrous. It looks like something from a video game. Frankly, if you're going to take a bastard stab at Art Deco, just go ahead and do Art Deco.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Dec 12, 2015, 2:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauntedheadnc View Post
Ludicrous. It looks like something from a video game. Frankly, if you're going to take a bastard stab at Art Deco, just go ahead and do Art Deco.
But that is clearly not an attempt at Art Deco. It is not stylized into angular minimal representations of the decoration that has been added it is covered in realistic representations. It references Art Deco and Art Nouveau and futurism, but it isn't any of those things.

Personally I don't love this building I think it is a poorly executed idea but I think some of the idea it tries to use such as references to past styles being reinterpreted and used in a way that people would see as futuristic is a good idea. I think this building fails because there is no cohesion there is not enough harmony between the different parts that have been included there is not enough connection between the wing motif and the geometric patterns to make them work without adding to much tension.

I do agree this specific interpretation of that idea appears to be futuristic video game architecture, but I think it could be done tastefully and in a form that would work and could be a new style of architecture.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2015, 4:05 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citylover94 View Post
But that is clearly not an attempt at Art Deco. It is not stylized into angular minimal representations of the decoration that has been added it is covered in realistic representations. It references Art Deco and Art Nouveau and futurism, but it isn't any of those things.

Personally I don't love this building I think it is a poorly executed idea but I think some of the idea it tries to use such as references to past styles being reinterpreted and used in a way that people would see as futuristic is a good idea. I think this building fails because there is no cohesion there is not enough harmony between the different parts that have been included there is not enough connection between the wing motif and the geometric patterns to make them work without adding to much tension.

I do agree this specific interpretation of that idea appears to be futuristic video game architecture, but I think it could be done tastefully and in a form that would work and could be a new style of architecture.
I think as a fantasy tower people are putting too much effort in disregarding it completely instead of considering what a watered down or more refined version may look like. I think it's an interesting attempt. To me the wings are a bit much and make it look like something out of Final Fantasy, which doesn't fit in real life. But a building that attempts to marry Art Deco and Art Nouveau with a futuristic edge is something I'd like to see explored more.

Last edited by HomrQT; Dec 12, 2015 at 4:27 PM.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2015, 7:32 PM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomrQT View Post
I think as a fantasy tower people are putting too much effort in disregarding it completely instead of considering what a watered down or more refined version may look like. I think it's an interesting attempt. To me the wings are a bit much and make it look like something out of Final Fantasy, which doesn't fit in real life. But a building that attempts to marry Art Deco and Art Nouveau with a futuristic edge is something I'd like to see explored more.
I too would like to see more buildings attempt to marry old styles in a futuristic way. however, if this is any kind of marriage, it was conducted at a drive-thru wedding chapel and will be annulled by week's end. This thing looks like H.R. Geiger cleaned up for company.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Dec 14, 2015, 2:58 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

yeah i saw this. its just a boxy office tower slapped with glue and rolled in the junk drawer, as one of the commenters said.

i do think a final fantasy type tower something like this would be kind of fun to have though. even if not in nyc, somewhere.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2015, 4:31 PM

It looks like something Gaudi would build.

AKA shitty.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2015, 7:05 PM

Well, both Giger and Gaudi have been thrown under the bus, undeservedly I might add. Both of their works have unified, cohesive design elements. This doesn't. And white stone with brass almost always looks tacky to me.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2015, 9:42 PM

Of course everyone over at SSC is jizzing over this completely absurd design. The technology involved is interesting, and I dig the aesthetic, but god damn what a mess that thing is.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2015, 9:52 PM
arf

It's a mess, but some bits and pieces are very interesting.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Dec 15, 2015, 5:40 AM
Crane Goddess

If they toned it down some, it would be very interesting! They've just gone overboard with the ornaments.

Pare the ornaments down some, clean it up and simplify it, and you might have a winner.
I'd love to see some Art Deco/Final Fantasy elements worked into a modern skyscraper.
"Prayers are fleeting and wars are forgotten, but what is built endures"
-Ambassador DeLenn, Babylon 5

Old Posted Dec 15, 2015, 6:57 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanita View Post
If they toned it down some, it would be very interesting! They've just gone overboard with the ornaments.

Pare the ornaments down some, clean it up and simplify it, and you might have a winner.
I'd love to see some Art Deco/Final Fantasy elements worked into a modern skyscraper.
I agree, tone down a lot of the tackiness, maybe by removing most of, if not all the wings and we'd be much closer to a respectable building. Not that I don't like wings as a concept, but maybe just implemented in a more conservative, tasteful fashion.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2015, 9:14 PM

It's a horrible combination that makes no sense. It looks like a glass curtain wall with stone ornaments stuck on. Why would you cover a glass box with tacky ornamentation you'd expect to see in a cheap "movie set" shopping mall design? Compare this to the beautiful stone work of Ralph Walker's One Wall Street. Somehow One Wall Street seems honest and this doesn't .

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture